Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st May 2011 at 9:51 AM
Generations' first impression?
So for those lucky ones who got your paws on Generations EP today, what is your first impression? Just another money waster? A little disappointed? Just as expected? Or a good surprise? Or nasty conflicts with your CC that get you screaming so loud your whole neighborhoods can hear?

I pre-ordered to get the free stuff pack so mine won't come in for at least 3 more days. Can't wait.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 31st May 2011 at 10:00 AM
So far so good. The instant memory reminder annoys me, but you can turn it off. Although I wish there is a setting that allow me to only use custom memories.
Test Subject
#3 Old 31st May 2011 at 10:02 AM
its difficult to know i mean i dont have it so i dont know but people are having diffrent opinions like some people LOVE it and some people think that EA could have done better. but when I do get the game im planning to say on here what i think about it

Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 31st May 2011 at 3:21 PM
^Memories aren't a generation feature You'll realize how empty this EP is once you see whats in the patch

Honestly, for me, I like some of the bits here and there, but a lot of it feels empty. It's not because there's a central thing that connects everything together, but because there not a lot of tangible things to use. A lot of things are behind rabbit holes, and behind 'closed doors' and need unlocking. Some features that were stripped from the EP should have stayed in the game to give it more depth and fullness (like dating) and now if feels lose. They don't even give us new wedding Decor or a Bridal Gown (if you want to call the dress a bridal gown, be my guest), and when will we get another 1 tile, 4 seater table! I'm dying over here!

Basically, You pay for a patch, a stuff pack (16 build items, 13 being walls, 2 unfinished spiral stairs[someone mod that] and 1 window that doesn't match anything), and a few new items (even if come are cool like bunk beds and the video camera) and clothing. Thats what generations is. Nothing has really expanded (Since the patch expands EVERYONES game with dating and reputations) and it can feel like of waste of money and space... oh wait... it doesn't take up that much.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Scholar
#5 Old 31st May 2011 at 3:32 PM
well so far so good for me.....i love it....

all the new interactions...even between adults is great....
--adults can "share secrets" and tell ghost stories--
Scholar
#6 Old 31st May 2011 at 3:51 PM
how 'bout parties? Aren't they great???

Hey there! :)
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 31st May 2011 at 3:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
^Memories aren't a generation feature You'll realize how empty this EP is once you see whats in the patch

Honestly, for me, I like some of the bits here and there, but a lot of it feels empty. It's not because there's a central thing that connects everything together, but because there not a lot of tangible things to use. A lot of things are behind rabbit holes, and behind 'closed doors' and need unlocking. Some features that were stripped from the EP should have stayed in the game to give it more depth and fullness (like dating) and now if feels lose. They don't even give us new wedding Decor or a Bridal Gown (if you want to call the dress a bridal gown, be my guest), and when will we get another 1 tile, 4 seater table! I'm dying over here!

Basically, You pay for a patch, a stuff pack (16 build items, 13 being walls, 2 unfinished spiral stairs[someone mod that] and 1 window that doesn't match anything), and a few new items (even if come are cool like bunk beds and the video camera) and clothing. Thats what generations is. Nothing has really expanded (Since the patch expands EVERYONES game with dating and reputations) and it can feel like of waste of money and space... oh wait... it doesn't take up that much.

Meh, I dint feel like its that useless. I like the imaginary friend bit, proper wedding, the new part types, midlife crisis, pranks, more rabbit-hole activities (proms, after school activities).

And those new items (video cam, bunk beds, spiral staircase, stuff for toddlers and kids, science station) are pretty cool to have and comes with new interactions. So its all good for me. At least now I dont have to age my sims up to adult immediately due to theres nothing for them to do.

Plus, the purchase bumps up my store points, and I used those to get Outdoor Living and High End Loft for free. :D
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 31st May 2011 at 3:57 PM
One complaint I have right off the bat is tweaking the age sliders under Options. It'd be nice if we could use the arrow buttons on the keyboard to be more finite on the age range for each group. Tried as I may, I spent 20 minutes trying to tweak the Young Adult-Elder ranges, going up 7 days each group starting with the baby range. I just couldn't tweak the last three to 21,28,and 35 sim days. The slider would dance all around the place, but not land where I wanted it to.

Sky Marshal Skittles to the rescue!

Causing havoc here at MTS since 2004
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 31st May 2011 at 4:04 PM
The age sliders work perfectly fine with me, love them btw.

I don't feel like anything mayor has been added to the game, but I'm having fun with what's there.

Not much to say yet.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 31st May 2011 at 4:09 PM
I have a complaint... my copy didn't come with a free day off from work. Did they forget to put it in the box? :lovestruc

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 31st May 2011 at 4:10 PM
Has anyone tried to install the registration gift? Mine starts, then the secondary smaller box crashes, but the launcher stays up, and nothing installs.

Alchemist
#12 Old 31st May 2011 at 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by emino
So far so good. The instant memory reminder annoys me, but you can turn it off. Although I wish there is a setting that allow me to only use custom memories.

Is it in Options to turn that off, because man is it annoying
Inventor
#13 Old 31st May 2011 at 5:11 PM
I have no impressions as of yet since I can't get the bugger to install

The Simmer formerly known as Greenlea
Forum Resident
#14 Old 31st May 2011 at 5:16 PM Last edited by KiaraRawks : 31st May 2011 at 5:45 PM.
I'll come back to this post. My family is about 98% loaded and by the time I hit Post it should be fully loaded.

The weirdest thing (well not that weird) happened when I unpaused my game for the first time since generations. 3 of the 4 sims in the house were asleep and one was in the shower, so after I unpaused the game it froze for a second then everyone just popped out of que and were just standing around the house... Did this happen to anyone else when unpausing your sims since installing the new ep?

Oh and another thing.. my sims skills seem to have disappeared?
Forum Resident
#15 Old 31st May 2011 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KiaraRawks
I'll come back to this post. My family is about 98% loaded and by the time I hit Post it should be fully loaded.

The weirdest thing (well not that weird) happened when I unpaused my game for the first time since generations. 3 of the 4 sims in the house were asleep and one was in the shower, so after I unpaused the game it froze for a second then everyone just popped out of que and were just standing around the house... Did this happen to anyone else when unpausing your sims since installing the new ep?

That usually happens to me when I install a new EP or patch. Nothing to worry about.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 31st May 2011 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by acid_fairy
That usually happens to me when I install a new EP or patch. Nothing to worry about.

What about your sim's skills disappearing? I don't believe I have any hacks in my game for this to happen.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 31st May 2011 at 5:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KiaraRawks
What about your sim's skills disappearing? I don't believe I have any hacks in my game for this to happen.

Well I can't say I have ever noticed that, but I am not very observant, so it's possible.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 31st May 2011 at 5:53 PM
Well, I guess it's okay. There is a big bug (Aliteration, YEY! ) in the game already. I can't seem to place desks or really anything under some of the bunkbeds.

You can find video previews of ALL my uploads on my YouTube Channel.
Keep updated, and follow me on Twitter! You´ll get the most recent news and goss when I´m making custom content!
---- Have Fun With My Uploads! ----
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 31st May 2011 at 6:00 PM
Well, solved the Launcher install problem.....I just don't know how it rectified itself. Tried playing with all CC installed......crashed, removed build mode CC, crashed, removed mods, played just fine. Now I gotta fine tune and go through all my mods to see whats screwing it up. Which is 133 files, or 46 MBs. Yay....thank god I live alone so I don;t have to worry about anyone's savegames but my own.

Forum Resident
#20 Old 31st May 2011 at 6:05 PM Last edited by KiaraRawks : 31st May 2011 at 6:37 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by JackJess
Well, I guess it's okay. There is a big bug (Aliteration, YEY! ) in the game already. I can't seem to place desks or really anything under some of the bunkbeds.

Aw gosh that sounds awful. When I restart my game up I'm going to check that out to see if I have that same problem.

Edit:
The desk places fine under the bunk beds for me... I don't know why it's not for you.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 31st May 2011 at 6:24 PM
Okay so I only added my skins, eyes, and sliders and the game won't even load it's saying the launcher isn't working but I know it is because I just downloaded hair with my new sim points and the free gift that comes with generations. I've never had this problem before. Does anyone know why this is happening?
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 31st May 2011 at 6:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsdestroyer
Okay so I only added my skins, eyes, and sliders and the game won't even load it's saying the launcher isn't working but I know it is because I just downloaded hair with my new sim points and the free gift that comes with generations. I've never had this problem before. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Try loading the game with no CC Sliders. I don't have any mods/hacks in my game, just custom sim related stuff, and buy mode stuff. My game runs fine.

Field Researcher
#23 Old 31st May 2011 at 6:51 PM
I would tell you if I could get the stupid thing to install. It first wants me to update my game version via launcher. I'm fully patched except for the latest one issued today. Of course EA posts the info about the newest patch update on their website, complete with formatting and spelling errors, an hour after the release of the game. And it asks you to install via launcher, but of course my launcher thinks the game is up to date. I don't know how you guys got it to install but I'm about to give up here.
Alchemist
#24 Old 31st May 2011 at 6:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by secretsim
I would tell you if I could get the stupid thing to install. It first wants me to update my game version via launcher. I'm fully patched except for the latest one issued today. Of course EA posts the info about the newest patch update on their website, complete with formatting and spelling errors, an hour after the release of the game. And it asks you to install via launcher, but of course my launcher thinks the game is up to date. I don't know how you guys got it to install but I'm about to give up here.

My game didn't update via the launcher. I got the update needed message and clicked ok and it started the update which took about 3-5 minutes then went right into the install. The launcher never opened
Test Subject
#25 Old 31st May 2011 at 6:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by secretsim

Same here. The Launcher is convinced that my game is "up to date". Pfft.
Page 1 of 14