Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#26 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 12:58 PM
Just as Leesester says: I don't really know what you're goal is. You're talking about that it's fine for you and you're sims and stuff,
but are you actually planning on uploading it on MTS? Or is it just for you're own game?

As for what I see in your comments, I get the feeling that you're just planning on using the house for your own game..
So if you can tell us if it's really for uploading or just for helping you with making your house better for your own game, it would help a lot.

"And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears and love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears." ~ Mumford & Sons
Advertisement
Echezzman Nwokeoma
staff: senior moderator
#27 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 1:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leo06girl
As we all know I stink at roofing. but am having trouble with the roof. Right now, I think it looks terrible.

This is not only you, I had problems with this also and as of now, I suck at colours and so sometimes I spend hours trying to get the right colours to match what am doing. But one thing I have learned is practice and this brings me to your house.

Like HystericalParoxysm said, it would be best if you tried to do a house on a smaller lot because from your screen shots I can guess that is a 60x60 lot size and that is definitely way too big for that house.

Like all my experienced creators have noted, getting the roof to match that structure is going to be tough for you.

This house started out to be a smaller version of a house I posted about a while ago. Plus I couldn't think of how to decorate the extra rooms because if something doesn't have a legitimate function, I don't want it.

Also a friend of my sister's used to live in an octagon shaped house which I thought was neat.

You have already said it in the above and that is what HP talked about changing the lot size to something smaller to achieve a realistic features in the house.

Quote: Originally posted by QBUILDERZ
The roof doesn't work because the house doesn't work.

To fix the roof, you need to address the house first.

This sums up every thing that concerns the house. The roof is not a problem to me because once the house is not right, then roofing will always be a problem and like QBUILERZ rightly said,you need to change the house structure so that your roof placement can be achieved much easier.

As far as it being too balanced: the only problem with that is I like things to be balanced and even.

There is nothing wrong with a house being balance but then it must look nice and realistic to people looking at it.

I could change the shape a little. Only to do that, I would have to make it a little bigger, which I'm pretty sure would cause everyone to claim that it's not realistic. Because that's what they said when it was in it's original shape. It's actually modified from another house I posted about. If I made it in it's original shape, I would have to add three new rooms, and change the shape of another.

I personally do not agree with this, changing the shape of the building does not mean you have to make it bigger. You can still maintain the same size of the house and make only minor changes to the outer structure so as to create a basis for the roof placement. So many of the creators you have on MTS even the Moderators have at one point in time been told about their houses not been realistic and the essence is to help you improve. This house you have is just right and you do not need to add more rooms to it.

I can change and am planning to do so to parts of the shape. I just don't want to change the shape of some of the octagon rooms, because then it wouldn't be the same house.

Of course you can make changes to some of the external walls while still leaving some other places have the octagon shape you want but right now that can not be achieved with this structure that you have.

Am I not allowed to upload an unfurnished house? Would I be allowed to decorate in bright colors including the walls?

For Sims 3, you do need to furnish the house since there is an option to move in unfurnished. So yes it must be furnished. I don't know about bright colours, but the colours should not be such that is too bright and they should match each other and not be off colours(wait to hear what others think about this since this is my own opinion)

Would it get rejected for being in the exact center of the lot? I'm asking because I like to houses at the exact center of their lot.

I like placing houses sometimes in the centre too and no one will reject your house because it is placed in the middle of the lot. Your design (Aesthetics) and its realism and in conjunction with its Playability your furnishing and landscaping as well as the almighty roofing as stated in the creator guideline as pointed to you by HP are the main things you need to worry about. And all this mus be balanced together since failure in one aspect even if others are okay can cause a rejection.

I really like your concept and idea but then sometimes we need to apply change to what we are doing when the main idea seem a little impossible. And since you want to share with others I believe that taking into consideration what every has said will go a long way helping out.
Echezzman Nwokeoma
staff: senior moderator
#28 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 1:44 PM
Ok , I see that HP has answered your last questions and Leesester is right.
Inventor
Original Poster
#29 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 7:10 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 10th Jun 2011 at 8:01 PM. Reason: Merged posts: 3549045, 3549050, 3549062, 3549069
Quote: Originally posted by nikkicornelisse
Just as Leesester says: I don't really know what you're goal is. You're talking about that it's fine for you and you're sims and stuff,
but are you actually planning on uploading it on MTS? Or is it just for you're own game?

As for what I see in your comments, I get the feeling that you're just planning on using the house for your own game..
So if you can tell us if it's really for uploading or just for helping you with making your house better for your own game, it would help a lot.

I would like to upload, but if it winds up turning into something I don't like 100% I will not upload.

Quote: Originally posted by Zandvoort
You're not able to put it on a smaller lot. I'm not sure how to explain..but here we go. You built thouse on a 60x60 or 64x64 I guess, but when you save/export it, you're not able to put it on a smaller lot because the game will think it needs a lot of space even though it's a smaller house.

If you want it on a smaller lot, you have to rebuild it on a smaller lot.

I know, I meant if all goes well, I can rebuild the house on a smaller lot. If I get the final floorplan drawn out, it will not take long to build.

Quote: Originally posted by leesester
Of course I would not like to build a house I did not like. The thing IS, you are building this house to share (to upload on MTS), hopefully for people to download it.

If you are just building for you and your game then you can do what the heck you like, if you are building for others AS WELL then you will have to be a bit more "mainstream" in your approach.

It all depends what your goal is.

I'm open to making certain changes, but like I've said before I don't want it to turn into something I don't like. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in saying I don't want to upload something I don't 100% like.

If I wanted to only use it in my game, I would not have asked about it. Because for myself only, as long as I like the floor plan, I can get over the roofing. No offense to anyone, but I don't really care what anyone else thinks of houses made for my personal use only.

HP, it's great to know I won't get rejected for bright colors. I'm pretty sure I'm incapable of making a house without them =).

Also good to know I won't get rejected for it being centered, because I really do not like for my houses to be off center.
Inventor
Original Poster
#30 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 9:04 PM
Default house
Made a few changes. I'm thinking of putting a wrap around porch on the first floor.

The roof still doesn't look right. Is there any way to adjust the pitch of ONLY the center part?
Screenshots
Inventor
Original Poster
#31 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 12:27 AM
Would I get rejected for these colors? I know the walls and some other things need work, I just wanted to show what colors I plan on using. I can't decide which shade of pink to use because I love them both.

If anyone has any suggestions for the walls and rug, I need them.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#32 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 3:18 AM
I can understand your fustration in this. When you first start building it is SO easy to go far to big and too bright. Shit I done it enough times - along with heaps of other people.
The smaller the better. Try on a 30x30 or a 40 x 40. And use more lighter wall colours. Then maybe just have a feature wall, for the bright stuff.

Ok, what I think you need to do is.

Delete ALL the interrior walls. Because lets face it - how often do we see rooms like that? Looking at floor plans ect can help a BIG deal
Something like this http://www.associateddesigns.com/pl...il.cfm?id=11076 seems more natural. Like use your hexagon shape as the main of the house, and add other bits on the side.
Finding the right real house floor plans - can help you a lot. I have used them for a while.

Just remember to keep it as small as possible - without making rooms all matchy,

Official Foundation Challange Contestant. R1-R2-R3-R4

BLOGGER A Random Legacy - Vasher
Inventor
Original Poster
#33 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 6:24 AM
kaylarox, no offense, but the fact that rooms that shape are not often seen is why I liked the original pattern. Of course, not all the rooms were shaped liked that, the original plan was too big, but when I made it smaller I didn't like how the two back rooms turned out. Go look at the original if you want to know what I mean. The original is a real house plan, I just can't remember where I got it.

I did try just making a big octagon and filling with smaller rooms for a house, don't remember if it was for TS1 or TS2 though. I do have a floor plan somewhere with only one octagon room on each lever, I just don't remember where I put it.

That's not exactly how I was planning to doing the green and pink walls, I just wanted to show what colors I was planning on using. The second one is actually the lightest shade of pink I've fixed in game at the moment, the lightest solid anyway. I haven't made anything lighter because my Sims have all boys. I do plan on making a shade of pink a little lighter. I never know when someone is going to think of my colors because IMO there is no such thing as getting a color too bright, which is why I had to ask. Seriously, those are dull compared to others I've had. And thanks for your advice. I've got a pattern made with a lighter shade of pink in I may use instead.

I'm not building on a smaller lot, until I've the floor plan exactly how I want it. I'm doing this so I will know what size of a lot to get so there can still be a yard big enough to play in.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=418619 Here is the thread with the original floor plan. I don't even remember the link to the website I got them from, but I do know it was an actual house's floor plan.
Forum Resident
#34 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 7:13 AM
Ok - I think its official. Your past being helped.

How about you try listening and trying these things instead of wasting time arguing the points.

Good luck with the house - I am over it.

Inventor
Original Poster
#35 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 7:54 AM
I have listened to people and reshaped a little. I would like to keep the octagon rooms the same shape because no offense, but building one big octagon house will not work for the Sims. I'm currently looking for a different octagon pattern that would work and that I like. I've actually found a few, but they are all uniquely shaped.
I'm trying to listen about the colors, although I will admit not using eye wateringly bright colors will be a challenge for me.

Just because I don't want to use the floor plan you posted, doesn't mean I didn't listen. It just means I want to use a different plan if I decide to change the original.

Get mad if you want, I will NOT build something I don't like 100%. You wouldn't build something you didn't like 100% would you? I'm guessing the answer is going to be no.
Forum Resident
#36 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 7:56 AM
No I did not say you HAD to use that floor plan. The end and good luck. :D

Lab Assistant
#37 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 8:50 AM
I like the second roof the best...maybe with asphalt or gravel rooftop to blend in the colour. Interesting concept. wow... mega space.
Inventor
Original Poster
#38 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 8:54 AM
It's actually a lot smaller than the original shape.

I liked the second roof best too, the center of the others is too high and looks weird.
Test Subject
#39 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 10:18 AM Last edited by rolltocrit : 11th Jun 2011 at 11:00 AM.
I really like your concept it is very interesting. Perhaps the best way to go about the roof would be to delete all your existing roofs and cover the whole thing with a hipped roof. You could always add some dormers to break up the roof line also just put posts up along the railing to make covered upstairs balconies. I found a house plan close to the one you are attempting and it has a one roof with a covered porch all the way around it.
http://www.coolhouseplans.com/flori...x.html?mode=fl1 its down the a bit
There are quite a few single octagon shaped homes that look cool to if you are willing to start with something new. good luck
Field Researcher
#40 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 11:36 AM
Look, there's a thing.. You're trying to build something which is not realistic and still you're being 'stubborn'. You know this is not going to work.
You know that if you don't change colors and shapes to more realistic ones you're work is going to be rejected.
I'm not saying that you're whole plan is a big flop, but you have to realise that you have to adjust it to realisticness.

This shape.. it's not going to work UNLESS you do it perfectly. And we all know that's going to be very hard.
So why don't you go search on the internet for a shape that's similair to your plan and just try to find something you like AND which is realistic.
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Maybe this sounds harsh, but you have to realise it's going to be hard. And maybe if you reconsider it, eventually it will work.

"And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears and love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears." ~ Mumford & Sons
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#41 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 11:54 AM
I don't think in it's current state, and given your answers to other people in the thread, that you are ready for uploading, or even to get actual feedback from well established builders on this site.

Come back in a few days when you've reworked things and everything has calmed down. Thread locked.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Locked thread | Locked by: Delphy Reason: See last post
Page 2 of 2