Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#51 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 9:01 AM Last edited by ticklish : 27th Jul 2011 at 9:01 AM. Reason: word change
I saw power outage and power failure guess sims can't play on the computer or watch tv when that happens.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 9:35 AM
Unicorns? Really?

Are there sharks in this EP, too? Because between this and the imaginary friend creature, the developers seem to be up for a bit of shark-jumping. That, or they're now targeting the tweeners-and-younger demographic that made Spore the highly engaging and stimulating product it became.
Scholar
#53 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 9:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cloudchaser
That, or they're now targeting the tweeners-and-younger demographic that made Spore the highly engaging and stimulating product it became.

God, I hope not. Why do they always assume animal lovers are half-wit preteens?

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#54 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 10:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Pets can apparently bring back new collectible critters... and track other collectibles like rocks and gems That is great, will make collecting a lot more fun.

And the collectible critters look REALLY awesome A big step up from beetles and fish! Birds, lizards, rodents, snakes, turtles... PLUS deer and racoons and wild horses. I wonder how those last three types (animal NPCs) get placed in the world?
Lol, I really went like when I read this because I conflated collectible critters with the last part about horses and imagined my cat dragging in a fully grown horse after a successful hunting trip...
But all these things really sound great, and I, for one, (male and beyond the boy age) am looking forward to the unicorns (unless they are pink and have big eyes with long lashes).
But has anyone already noticed that unicorns have been in the game from the very beginning as one of the things Sims can protest against?
Maybe these protests are in fact a satire on the community and show what we will get nevertheless: They protest against bugs, and what did we get? Bugs and a lot of them to boot . They protest against unicorns and what will be perhaps get? Unicorns. Hm, maybe I should pay more attention to those protesters from now on. What I do remember is that they also protest against ghosts, yetis AND ... (drumroll) dragons
I am pretty sure now that we are slowly heading towards a culminating magic EP.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#55 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 11:18 AM
Well, unicorms were the obvious choice if you've already got horses. Maybe we'll get some of this:

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Scholar
#56 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 11:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FridaKahlo
Yeah, anyone that doesn't like pink frilly cheesy things will be left out (including this chick). I seriously don't want this frilly prissy crap in my game!

No glitter, no rainbows, no pink, no unicorns!

Wah.....

I like frilly prissy girly crap *shrugs and feels left out*

I think unicorns would be cool (assuming they don't behave like regular horses and expand game-play somehow...)
Mad Poster
#57 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 12:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by skmt999
lol, wanting an entire EP just for the Ice Cream. XD

But I understand, I got all excited when I saw that too. I wonder if it will work off of the same parking space as the greasy City food truck? That would save space, to place a whole bunch of food truck parking spaces and have the Ice Cream truck and the food truck drive around in between them. It'll be a bit silly to have a lot with two truck spaces on it.

But it doesn't really matter, it's still an awesome addition.

LOL, I know it sounds simple, but my mind is on new community lots, making the playgrounds awesome. Yeah, I am crazy about icecream trucks IRL. They can still get me to pay the inflated prices for the treats and I love how my nieces and nephews eyes light up when they hear the truck coming. :lovestruc

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
#58 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 12:36 PM
Unicorns???

I don't know. May be it's cool. But I still prefer werewolf, Bigfoot or shapeshifter.

So, since TS3 Pet already use Unicorns and dispose the werewolf, I guess, there will be no werewolf in TS3.

What I hate about TS3 is, for the shake of adding a new feature, like unicorn for example, another awesome features need to be sacrificed.

Why EA can't put all of the features together, both all and new.

I can't imagine what will happen with TS4.
Theorist
#59 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 1:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Sucks that pets can't be placed on vacation lots though

Oh man, just as it was going so well....hopefully this can be modded.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Theorist
#60 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 1:49 PM
Unicorns aren't that bad...to be honest it could be worse, what if the new creature was barney or the elmo monster...Or even trollz.
It's not like Werewolves ever appealed to everyone..You never know, these unicorns are probably kick-ass power rangers that go around and kick and throw everything in their way. What non-gangsta unicorn starts fires?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#61 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 2:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasumi
I think unicorns would be cool (assuming they don't behave like regular horses and expand game-play somehow...)

I don't even want gameplay in the sims - I am still wishing it was just as realistic as possible a simulation of human society.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Top Secret Researcher
#62 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 3:43 PM
I agree with Inge. I prefer realism. However, I don't see any difference between the 'realism' of vampires or werewolves or unicorns. They are all fantasy creatures and all come from folklore. I actually think it is cool that EA is getting off the horror bend (and I am a WoD fan). They did the same thing in Sims 2 with those sweet Plant Sims and unicorns in folklore were not all that sweet. You can play with them as you like. Besides, haven't people been clamoring for magic?

I am confident that like vampires, I can keep them out of my game but I am happy for those who want them. I am a little surprised at people who hate them so much they won't buy the EP or who see them as My Little Ponies. I guess it is generational because while I have two young daughters, I remember when Unicorns were not pink and sparkly. Of course, I remember that fear of sparkly vampires prior to LN! LOL
Forum Resident
#63 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 4:20 PM
Here is some information on unicorns for those interested:

Quote: Originally posted by Encyclopedia Mythica
The unicorn is a legendary animal. It is usually portrayed as a slender, white horse with a spiraling horn on its forehead, although its appearance and behavior differs, depending on the location. In the west it was usually considered wild and untamable, while in the Orient it was peaceful, meek and thought to be the bringer of good luck. There it is usually depicted as a goat-like creature, with cloven hooves and a beard. In Japan it is called Kirin[1], and in China Ki-lin[2].
The word "unicorn" is based on the Hebrew word re'em ("horn"), in early versions of the Old Testament translated as "monokeros", meaning "one horn", which became "unicorn" in English. The creature is possibly based on the rhinoceros or the narwhal, a marine creature with one horn.

In the west it was first mentioned by the Greek historian Ctesias in 398 BCE. According to him they lived in India and he described them as 'wild asses which are as big as a horse, even bigger. Their bodies are white, their heads dark red and their eyes are deep blue. They have a single horn on their forehead which is approximately half-a-meter long.' This description was based on the tales of travelers, and is a mixture of an Indian rhinoceros, the Himalayan antelope, and the wild ass.

The horn itself is white at the base, black in the middle and with a sharp, red tip. It is believed to possess healing abilities. Dust filed from the horn was thought to protect against poison, and many diseases. It could even resurrect the dead. Amongst royalty and nobility in the Middle Ages, it became quite fashionable to own a drinking cup made of the horn of an unicorn, not in the least because it was supposed to detect poison.

The belief in the healing abilities of the horn is probably based on a medieval story. In this particular tale, many animals once gathered around a pool in the midst of night. The water was poisoned and they could not drink from it, until a unicorn appeared. He simply dipped his horn in the pool and the water became fresh and clean again.

Another medieval story tells of the capture of a unicorn by a maiden. The unicorn was far too fast and wild for the man that was hunting him. He could only be tamed by a maiden who sat lonely underneath a tree in the woods. Attracted by the scent of purity he would lay his head on her lap and she would rock him to sleep. Then she would cut of his horn, and leave him for the hunter and his dogs.

There have been attempts to give these tales a Christian interpretation. In the first tale the horn symbolizes the cross and the pool the sins of the world. In the second story the maiden was Maria, the unicorn Jesus Christ and the horn a representation of the unity of the Father and the Son. Jesus, embodied in the unicorn, was killed for sake of a sinful world.

[1]: The Japanese unicorn, an animal-god who punishes the wicked with its single horn. It protects the just and grants them good luck. Seeing a kirin is considered an omen of extreme good luck - if one is a virtuous person.
[2]:A mythical being of Chinese mythology, comparable with the western unicorn. Ki-lin personifies all that is good, pure, and peaceful. It lives in paradise and only visits the world at the birth of a wise philosopher. The unicorn, which can become one thousand year old, is portrayed as a deer with one horn, the tail of an ox, the hooves of a horse, and a body covered with the scales of a fish. It is one of the four Ling[3].
[3]:The Ssu Ling are the four spiritual creatures of Chinese myth. These creatures are the Ch'i-lin, the Feng-huang, the tortoise Gui Xian, and the dragon Long. The Ch'i-lin has a deer's body, an ox's tail, horses hooves, and a single horn. The Ch'i-lin appeared only before the birth or death of a great man. The Feng-huang, or phoenix, was a bird with radiant feathers. It had an enchanting song. The Feng-huang appeared when good fortune was propitious. The tortoise was a symbol of a long life and righteousness. When it was a thousand years old it was able to speak the human language. They were used to foretell the future. The dragon, also bringer of god fortune, was the symbol of the power of the emperor. Dragons ruled the water: seas, rivers, and the rain-clouds.
Each one of the four spiritual creatures of the Chinese myth stands for one of the symbols on the compass. The Ch'i-lin was the western point of the compass. The Feng-huang was the southern point of the compass. The tortoise, along with the snake, ruled the north, and the dragon symbolized the east.

Ki-lin-Chinese

Kirin-Japanese

Although I did want the werewolf to make a comeback in the Sims 3, I think the unicorn has a lot of potential in the Sims 3 given the history and different cultures behind it. I think some people are under the impression of unicorns looking a little more... pink.
Alchemist
#64 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 4:21 PM
I think the reason people are apprehensive of My Little Pony Unicorns is that despite the actual folklore about unicorns, a lot of products/media about unicorns is pretty rainbow sparkly. The Sims isn't known for presenting the darker side of their supernatural creatures, in fact their 'horror' based supernaturals have been largely tamed, so it seems like a reasonable assumption that a Sim unicorn is going to veer more toward the My Little Pony version vs. old time folklore unicorn.
That said, the mention of beards for unicorns indicates that some aspects of the ye olde unicorn lore will be present, so a lot of the wailing and gnashing of teeth over it is a little premature.
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 4:21 PM
As Celebriton said, shape-shifters and bigfoot would be cool, but I don't mind the idea of unicorns. I like pink, frills and sparkles (Not on vampires!). It would be cool if they could be customized to be less girly for less girly sims and simmers, but I think I pink unicorn would be an adorable pet for a girly sim.

Now, what would be absolutely perfect would be lots of optional (For simmers who don't like them) supernaturals as well as unicorns. I would love a bigfoot/yeti (Customizable to choose between the two?) NPC wandering through the trees and perhaps adoptable Chupacabras or a animated lake monster in town decorations(Perhaps it could be from a spawner instead and level 10 fishersims could catch it?) . For supernaturals your sim could be/turn into, I would love to have a shapeshifter. Half of my sims would probably end up with the ability to turn into a jackal that way . Werewolves would be Ok, but it's been done. If they do add werewolves as well, I hope they're easier to get than in ts2. I've never been able to get a ts2 werewolf without cheating.
#66 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 5:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by van Dorn
curse the princess. Possibly ram it with a horn.

This isn't always a bad thing .....
#67 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Celebriton
What I hate about TS3 is, for the shake of adding a new feature, like unicorn for example, another awesome features need to be sacrificed.

Yes, like a chip van ... *mutters about the unfairness of no chip van ...No mushy peas .. no battered sausage ...*
Field Researcher
#68 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 6:12 PM
*read posts above about hating unicorns*

I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

We are the Felegands. We will kick your ass.
#69 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 6:36 PM
I can't imagine what will happen with TS4.

They will get rid of unicorns to make room for mermaids.
Forum Resident
#70 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 6:57 PM

Why EA can't put all of the features together, both all and new.

You understand that games cost money and man hours to create right? I do sort of agree with you, they have taken the lazy route, if they are putting Horses in, then Unicorns is probably not THAT much more work, over making a Werewolf from scratch. From a business point of view,it does make sense though, we get our supernatural, they get to save money, everybody wins.

Well, except the people who want werewolves.... but you never know, they may add them yet.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least whether EA "leaked" the unicorn into the patch deliberately to get us guessing and talking about it. They must know that there are plenty of us who can read that sort of thing. Perhaps Werewolves aren't in there because it's a secret?

Severedsolo's Simcredible Mods ALL my mods, including ones that have not made it to MTS yet. LATEST ADDITION - SNEAKING OUT FIX FOR GENERATIONS

Please do not PM me asking for help. Use the Help section.
Forum Resident
#71 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 7:12 PM
There is also a tiny debate on if the unicorn is the new creature or an NPC-like character. Although there are the magic powers it has, there is also the fact that you cannot have it reproduce and if you free it, it will be gone forever.
But also, you can adopt it, so that means it would more likely become part of the household and might be able to control it.

I am not sure whether or not it is considered the official creature or if EA is having it like an NPC-like creature. I am going to assume that there is no other creature though unless EA says there is so I won't get my hopes up.

I'm hoping that we will be able to customize the unicorn without having to use mods so I can make myself a Kirin.
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 7:16 PM
I think the unicorns could be cute :3
But I also wish that we were getting werewolves
Forum Resident
#73 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 8:03 PM
I think what's a little confusing to me is that on various sites, they claim that the file is called "Unicorn NPC" or something, which is what is making me wonder if it is supposed to be an NPC. It seems to have a lot of characteristics though that would make me think of a creature (more like the simbot in Ambitions).
Also there is the fact that the file says that you can adopt the unicorn, making me believe it is playable.

I am not sure if the NPC is referring that this isn't the creature/ life-state, or if EA accidentally worded it poorly in the files*. Hopefully we'll get some information soon because I'm really curious on if they meant to call it an NPC or not in the files.

*It is also possible that the website I was looking at called the file wrong by accident as well. I don't have the updated patch, so I cannot check to see what the wording is.

Also, this website, All About Unicorns, has a lot of information of unicorns in history.
Instructor
Original Poster
#74 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 8:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by skmt999
lol, wanting an entire EP just for the Ice Cream. XD

But I understand, I got all excited when I saw that too. I wonder if it will work off of the same parking space as the greasy City food truck? That would save space, to place a whole bunch of food truck parking spaces and have the Ice Cream truck and the food truck drive around in between them. It'll be a bit silly to have a lot with two truck spaces on it.

But it doesn't really matter, it's still an awesome addition.

Hello Mr.Spammer, can you spam less?

Yours respectfully,
van Dorn

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Instructor
Original Poster
#75 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 8:10 PM
I understand birdyfly's confusion, because a lot of people are wondering if it will be a NPC. It could be. But I doubt it. Because the pets in this expansion pack are supposed to be controllable, and unicorns are adoptable, making them pets. Additionally, I don't think Unicorns will be too dark, but I agree they don't seem like the unicorns of children's tales. They are creatures that are neither blindly good, nor blindly bad. They have powers that can be mean or nice.

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Page 3 of 11