Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Aug 2011 at 8:58 AM
Default The official TS3 most favourite/least favourite EP/SP/what one should I buy thread...
Looking to get a new expansion and can't decide which one? Looking to uninstall an expansion you have but don't know which one to nuke? Just want to yammer about which ones are the best, worst, or otherwise?

What is your most favourite/least favourite expansion pack, and why?
What is your most favourite/least favourite stuff pack, and why?
If you could rank how much you like each expansion or stuff pack in order, what would your order be?
If you had to remove an expansion, which one would it be, and why?

This is now the official catch-all thread for this topic. Please do not post any new threads on this topic - if you have input on the subject or are looking to make a new purchase/removal, read this thread for all kinds of opinions, then make your own decision.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 26th Aug 2011 at 11:27 AM
1.What is your most favourite/least favourite expansion pack, and why?
Most favourite: Ambitions. I love sculpting and inventing, it adds new beautiful world, tattoos, fog emmiter, new careers and profesions. It's not perfect but I like this one the most (but it looks like Pets will be even better).
Least favourie: World Adventures. It's not bad, new worlds are really great and new objects are really cool, but it's the ep I use least.
2.What is your most favourite/least favourite stuff pack, and why?
Honestly they all suck, but if I had to choose favourite one it would be Outdoor Living.
3.If you could rank how much you like each expansion or stuff pack in order, what would your order be?
I.Ambitions
II.Late Night & Generations (can't decide which one i prefer)
III.World Adventures
4.If you had to remove an expansion, which one would it be, and why?
None, I can't imagine playing The Sims wihout even one expansion :D
Field Researcher
#3 Old 26th Aug 2011 at 11:05 PM
Generations is my favorite by far. I love playing big families with lots of children and Generations is right up my alley

My least favorite is WA... I deleted it from my computer 'cause it was tooo buggy.
#4 Old 27th Aug 2011 at 3:18 AM
I don't have any EPs or SPs (cry for me now ) but I think Night Life. I'm real into that whole urban, don't make a family, but make a young adult in the city, kinda deal with the Sims.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 2nd Sep 2011 at 1:35 PM
Hmm... I would say it goes in this order for me:

1. Late Night
2. Generations
3. WA
4. Ambitions

But I love them all, don't think I hate Ambitions. But that's my opinion, it really depends on you.

Do you prefer single/married young adults who are free of kids to go party into the night? Get Late Night.

Do you prefer focusing on your career or hate how everyone seems to be at work at the same time and you have to fast-foward? Get Ambitions.

Are you a person who likes adventure and scary tombs? Vacations and mummies? Get WA

Do you prefer focusing on family, and would like to enhance your family and get the neglected age groups (elder, children, teen, toddler) some more fun? Get Generations.

I've had enough, this is my prayer! That I die livin' just as free as my hair!
Scholar
#6 Old 2nd Sep 2011 at 7:33 PM
Most : Generations. It adds many little features, and I love little features.
Least : WA. I want a calm vacation, not the I-am-almost-dead-by-a-mummy adventures. And it's a shame there's no tropical island, and we can swim on the beach.

Most : Town Life Stuff. It's....good?
Least : Fast Lane Stuff. Only vehicles and vehicles...

If you could rank how much you like each expansion or stuff pack in order, what would your order be?
Generations
Town Life Stuff
Ambitions
Late Night
High-End Loft Stuff
World Adventures
Outdoor Living Stuff
Fast Lane Stuff

Nope. I can't play without losing an EP. Even WA, it feels...incomplete. ^_^

Hey there! :)
Scholar
#7 Old 2nd Sep 2011 at 9:59 PM
Favorite expansion pack: generations. I'm just in love with the new features, plus all the great kids' furniture. Especially since I build mostly family homes. Least favorite expansion pack: probably world adventures. I do love the objects that came with it, but as haricots said, I'd rather relax on my vacation than be killed by mummies. Also I really wanted a tropical world.

Favorite stuff pack: probably high-end lot stuff; I like the sleek styles. Least favorite: they're all pretty similar to me.

Ranking for expansion packs in order: Generations, Late Night, Ambitions, World Adventures. Ranking for stuff packs in order: High-End Loft, Outdoor Living, Fast Lane.

I'd rather not remove any expansion pack, but if I had to I'd remove World Adventures. I never, ever send my Sims on vacations, and the main reason I have it is so I can download all the nice lots at mod the sims that require it. XD

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Mad Poster
#8 Old 3rd Sep 2011 at 7:01 PM
I'm dependent upon ALL of them, actually, since I make homes. I love them all equally.
Based on usability:

EPs:
Late Night - Add a lot of modern, and useful, design things I love, as well as instruments. It also has the option of adding quite of a few specific community lots, and other things to put in various other lots. I wish they added an Arcade lot, like a hangout for children/teens, like we have a bunch of different clubs, but it's still the most useful. We also have high rises, and while buggy, they are quite cool when they work properly.

Ambitions - We're given something other than modern design things, which is federal. We have a good amount of clutter, which can be used in quite a few rooms, and laundry equipment is quite nice. Perfect reason to add another room to those larger houses! We even get a few new workplace lots to make.

Generations - For me, at least, this EP is only good for making children's rooms and play grounds. Since I don't make many of them, I just use the other things, like Spiral Staircases and shelves. If it wasn't for these reasons alone, I wouldn't have much of it. At least we can now disguise a consignment shop as a toy shop now.

WA - The appeal of this is things from different countries. In practicality, these don't do anything much for everyday homes. A nice piece here or there, but nothing major. The Nectar racks and the machine are good for kitchens, pantries, and/or basements, and the various trinkets are good for museums, or a themed location, like a theme park (which we can barely do) or a night club.

SPs:
Fast Lane - A lot of cars (that I never really use), but I DO use everything else. Frequently. The living room set, easily, one of the most useful and versatile pieces in the entire series and Garages actually look good now.

Outdoor Living - I like the counters here. The furniture can be used in many places, and I like the hot tub with the rocks, waterfall and grass on it. Very natural looking. We even have bowls of fruit, which are good for throwing on a table or counter.

High End Loft - I don't use it often. A lot of the furniture in the pack is the WRONG kind of modern, and what I do use is only a few items; mainly the bathroom stuff, and the fish tank.

Town Life: I don't think twice about this. Most of the items in the pack aren't very flexible. They are specific to a theme, which they easily couldn't have been, and what could have been nice items are ruined by little details. I like the sink and the gym bag, the windows, pedestal and statue.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Sep 2011 at 8:26 AM
My opinions...

EPs:

World Adventures - Strangely enough, this may be my favourite EP. I really enjoy the tomb adventuring aspects. The clothes are really cute and interesting, there's some nice hair, and it's a lot of fun collecting things while away on one's adventures, and making nectar is interesting.

Ambitions - Probably my second favourite. Inventing and sculpting is enjoyable.

Late Night - Pretty decent EP. Bridgeport and apartments could suck more.

Generations - I like the objects in this a lot, but the interactions are totally all over the place. It feels more like a random collection of stuff than a coherent EP.

SPs:

Fast Lane - A couple of nice decorative objects. I don't use cars for my sims so it may as well be utterly useless.

Outdoor Living - Some interesting stuff, but nothing amazing. Ehn.

High End Loft - The objects are a bit over the top and I don't tend to use them much. It's got some nice male hair though.

Town Life - Don't have it, but I've heard horrible things about it. Not planning on getting it.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 5th Sep 2011 at 4:14 PM
My most favourite is Late Night. It added the vampires, instruments (piano being my favorite), hot tubs, the group mechanism (very useful) and mixologists. I could have done without the clubs and celebrities, if I had all these other features. The least favourite is actually World Adventures, but only because it makes me cheat to play the way I want. I added martial arts stuff to my local gym and a nectary to my neighborhood. I can get the photography stuff from the Ambitions consignment store. Much love for the display cases. It's just the loading another world and going on adventure aspect that I don't like. Note to self: Add special fishie spawners to neighborhood.

I actually didn't buy stuff packs.

I can and I shall!
1. Late Night
2. Generations
3. Ambitions
4. World Adventures

Ugh very very tough question. I'd have to decide between World Adventures and Ambitions.

This signature has been censored because of the 13 year old badly written sentimentalism. -.-
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 7th Sep 2011 at 9:41 AM
Most favourite: World Adventures for sure! While I've only recently got into the adventuring after owning the game since its release, I can honestly tell you that the neighbourhoods in WA were some of the best. WA also gave us a bloody great amount of features. Basements, Nectar Making (one of my favourite self-employment careers), exotic areas (I am in love with the glowingness of Shang Simla), martial arts, smashing boulders, hundreds of new buy/build items, etc. Don't forget transfiguration!
Least favourte: Generations. Over priced. It was a waste of EP slots.
Most favourite: I'd have to say Outdoor Life Stuff, just because everything in it is so adorable. The lemonade deco is one of my favourite game objects. But, in terms of chunkiness, Town Life Stuff takes the cake.
Least favourite: Fast Lane was extremely ugly. I didn't like any of the cars. However, the ribbony heels it gave women was priceless. I'd have to say High End Loft Stuff is my least favourite; I don't use anything from there at all.
Expansions:
World Adventures > Ambitions > Late Night > Generations
Generations, man. Half of its 'features' came with the patch.
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
#12 Old 9th Oct 2011 at 3:51 PM
Most favourite Late Night, because I like vampires and modern urban life.
Least favourite - Generations. I love only spiral stairs, that's it. Pranks and babysitting are not my things.

Most favourite - Fast Lane. I'm a car enthusiast.
Least - Town Life stuff. I didn't like any of new objects.

Late Night,
World Adventures,
Fast Lane,
Ambitions,
High End Loft
Outdoor Living
Town Life

Generations, because there's no activities that I like, only annoying memories, pranks and babysitters.

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims
Theorist
#13 Old 10th Oct 2011 at 9:20 AM
Quote:
Generations, because there's no activities that I like, only annoying memories, pranks and babysitters.

Is that all there is to Generations? I'll pass and pick up Medieval, then.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#14 Old 10th Oct 2011 at 10:28 AM
The only EP or SP that I actually enjoyed and cannot replicate with CC was Late Night. Though Generations was useful for the bunk beds and spiral stairs, you don't need that EP to enjoy custom versions of those objects.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#15 Old 13th Oct 2011 at 12:41 AM

My favorite would be World Adventures, I just love searching through tombs, completing adventures, and the different countries. I do wish there were a few more destinations with it though.

My least favorite is probably Generations. I'll admit love a lot of features, like all of the added objects, events and things to do for toddlers-teens, but everything else is just annoying! I really dont care about midlife crisis or having my teen wake up in a bad mood. And memories are especially annoying, I don't want to share every little thing my sim does on facebook! I could keep going..just...argh!

Favorite: Outdoor living...can never have too many objects for outside!

Least Favorite: Fast lane, the cars are awesome looking and all but I've never seen a need for them, what with being able to take a free taxi everywhere. And well..I'm not a big fan of automotive stuff in general.

World Adventures
Late Night
Ambitions
Generations

Outdoor Living
High End Loft Stuff
Town Life
Fast Lane

As far as EPs go I don't think I could live with removing any of them, I'm just too used to playing with some of the features they added! As far as SPs go probably Town Life, it didn't really add much and some of the buildings are kinda ugly.
Test Subject
#16 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 7:10 PM
Pets is definitely my new favorite. Aside from racing, which I'm just beginning to try out, having animals running around my sim household makes it feel so much more complete. I wouldn't want to play without pets now.

My favorite after that is World Adventures (which seems to be many people's least favorite). Tomb-raiding entertains me, and from an RP standpoint it is a great EP for my Jedi sims. They still need to track down the mummy.

My least favorite is Ambitions, though I do enjoy many features of it. I find that with overstuffed households, which is what I'm currently playing, many of the new careers require too much back and forth around town for me to keep track of everyone.

I have no stuff packs

Pets
World Adventures
Late Night
Ambitions
(I don't have Generations yet...)

Probably Ambitions, since I use those features the least, but I really wouldn't want to remove any of them.
Scholar
#17 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 7:19 PM
My favourite is Ambitions, despite the amount of careers I can't use (PI, Firefighter), I enjoy the self-employed careers and I love Ghost Hunter.
My least favourite is Pets, not because of any content, but because my graphics card couldn't handle it and now I need to get a new computer. Once I can actually play the game, World Adventures will be my least favourite due to the severe amount of glitches I experienced with that game. I can't even PLAY France! I would have uninstalled it if I couldn't buy the stuff I wanted from Buydebug

I only have one, High End Loft Stuff, because I like the stuff in it. The other stuff packs are weird, I don't really want them. Though I wouldn't appose somebody buying them for me XD

Ambitions
Generations
Late Night
High End Loft Stuff
World Adventures
Pets (this WILL change once I can play it, I believe it will be my favourite. But since it's mocking me right now, the bottom it will stay)

Pets, since I can't use it XD After that, it would be World Adventures, though I would really miss all the skills that come with it!
Test Subject
#18 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 7:19 PM
I have everything except for Pets (yeah I'm wierd like that). I find that I am not into creating and dealing with Pets (the sims are hard enough). I don't see the point of getting Pets just for a new town. I had Pets with Sims 2 and they really got on my nerves so I am not interested in getting them again. Am I missing something?

When I was going up the stairs I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today I wish I wish
He would go away.

Alors voilà Clyde a une petite amie Elle est belle et son prénom C'est Bonnie A eux deux ils forment Le gang Barrow Leurs noms Bonnie Parker et Clyde Barrow - Serge Gainsbourg
One Minute Ninja'd
#19 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 7:24 PM
Most/least favorite EP?

I really like Pets. I even like Apaloosa Plains, and I'm not into Western or rural worlds (only played Riverview once, never again). Yes, it's buggy (aside from wreaking havoc on custom cc, I can understand XML mods, but content...bad QA for EA on "user friendliness"), and the animals not very realistically rendered, but it is just plain fun. It gives you a community to interact with, and animals to keep you busy at home (work? who works? )

Before Pets, I would have chosen Late Night. Yes, the elevators were slow and the routing terrible, but it nicely captured the city feel and still gave you a more suburban enclave as a choice. Certainly more suited to small families, although I was able to get about 5 generations in before it all drifted apart.

I was disappointed in Generations. While I like families, this thing was a mess. I almost wanted to age the kids up faster, rather than enjoying the added child/teen stuff. And then there were the "custom memories"....Jane used the potty, an eternal memory for the entire family (and no, not potty training, just plain potty). I never saw such file bloat as an entire town had memory flashes filling the sky from just walking around and talking to each other. The first mod I found that killed that went straight into my package folder. I liked the tree house, and the bunk beds, but not enough for the price of an EP.

WA left me with mixed feelings. I liked the concept. I hated the execution. It has always remained too buggy for me to risk blowing off a game coming back from a vacation. Other than nectar making and some objects, I would have deleted it already.

EP packs?

I hated them all. High End and Outdoor Living had the greater percentage of usable items, but still less than 50%. I never got Fast Lane as I have plenty of incredible cars, mostly from Fresh-Prince, so I just didn't bother.

TLS was, IMHO, an utter ripoff. The new rabbit hole styles didn't match any of the worlds EA has (except maybe for LN), but even then, the sizes weren't even decent to fit on existing RH's in place. The rest of the pack was pretty useless (for me) as well. I would uninstall it, but it's just stuff, so why bother .

EP rankings?

1. Pets
2. Late Night
3. Ambitions (liked the added careers and hobbies, town was OK too)
4. WA (for the few items, not for the travel)
5. Generations

SP rankings?

Really, none of them but,
1. Outdoor Living
2. High End Loft
I won't even list Town Life. It doesn't deserve a number.

Who to delete?

Generations would go if I kept the tree house, stairs, and some play objects. I guess I can just treat it like an overpriced SP. WA would certainly go. I've gotten past the nectar stuff, and am afraid to travel without returning to a corrupted game, so why am I keeping it? Maybe I really will delete it now that I'm considering it.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 1st Dec 2011 at 8:35 PM
- Most favourite ambition, least favourite Generations.

SP's are kind of lame anyway, so answering this would be hard. But, I guess I could say Outdoor living. I really like the clothing, and the objects. Even though there should have been outdoor plants, considering it was, you know, outdoors.

Least favourite, anything with the word luxury, or high end in it. The rich have enough stuff, give us grunge.

1. Pets:
The war between Ambition and pets is very close, almost so close I don't know who should be on top. But if I would have to select only one to have in my game, then I'd have to go with pets because it still has 100% more kittens in it than any other EP.

2. Ambition:
laundry and inventions, that pretty much sums it up. Some of the hands on careers were a let-down, like fire-fighter and investigator, but it did have something I have been wanting to have for years, and that is a self employed Sim. I always hated how all my business owners in TS2 were unemployed.

3. WA: I like the adventures, I like the objects, and I like the new interactions. I do think EA failed on this one in the sense that they should have given the possibility for the player to be able to add any world as a travelling destination.

4. LN: The war between 4 and 5 is also very hard. I like LN, I like the bars, the new activity, the night life and I even like the celebrity system. I don't like how-ever Bridgeport, or the shell buildings, or the new "apartments". I would have like apartments if you would have had to pay rent, but needing to buy the apartment, not nice. The people who need apartments in my game are the poor YA who just moved out of their childhood house and need something small they can start with.

5. Generation: Weddings, finally! And all those new interactions and objects for kids. I love seeing my Sim kids and teens get into trouble when they prank or have bad grades, or skip school. I can't believe it took EA 12 years before implementing a punishment system into the game. There are three things I don't like about Generation:
1. Imaginary friend. At first I was thought they were ok in small doses, so I downloaded the mod that reduces the possibility to get one. But after playing in two households with an IF, I now hate them to no extent and just downloaded the mod that nobody any more should get a doll.
2. The memory system. Sure it was 90% better than in TS2, but EA did go overboard with it like it always goes with new features. I can understand somebody remembering a great fishing trip they had, but nobody needs to remember every single fish they caught in their life. Thankfully there is a mod for this so you can choose what your Sims remember and this features went from pest to useful.
3. The claw. This I hate because EA kept saying "There are tons of new interactions for toddlers, like the claw", when they should have said "There is one new interaction for toddlers, the claw". The interaction itself is nice and cute, but it's the marketing that makes me hate it.

I'd remove WA. As much as I like this EP and enjoy travelling, my game basically happens in the main hood. I can't remove generations because it brought so much into the family life + weddings. I can't remove LN because it has instruments. And no way would I ever remove pets or ambition, so the only thing left is WA.
Test Subject
#21 Old 7th Dec 2011 at 1:50 AM
My favorite EP is World Adventures. I love exploring tombs, I love the unique items you can buy at the General Stores, Martial Arts is such a cool skill. It has amazing clothing, hair and special items that I just adore. I love everything about it. My least favorite would be Late Night. I don't particularly dislike it, but I utilize it the least and I don't really feel it adds much to the game.

My favorite SP is probably High-End Loft Stuff, mainly because I like the clothes. My least favorite is Fast Lane, though my opinion is a bit biased. I don't own it and I don't want it.

World Adventures
Ambitions
Pets
Late Night
High-End Loft Stuff
Outdoor Living

(If it's not on my list, I don't own it and therefore can't really say where I would put it.)

Late Night, because I honestly could live without it.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 26th Dec 2011 at 12:31 AM
Question: Which EP should I buy? I have $95 (about 2 expansions) and I'm leaning toward Late Night and Pets right now. Opinions?
Scholar
#23 Old 26th Dec 2011 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nikkiforest99
Question: Which EP should I buy? I have $95 (about 2 expansions) and I'm leaning toward Late Night and Pets right now. Opinions?

Nikki, we already gave our opinion. Don't be afraid to read our posts above, we don't bite..
It's all up to your style of playing.. If you really want an EP about family, then Generations might be perfect. BUT, many simmers hate Generations because no big features added.
Generally :
World Adventures : Adventure, of course..
Ambitions : Career, Job, Work, etc..
Late Night : Fun, Celebrity, Clubs.
Generations : Family, Little Features here and there..
Pets : Uh, it's obvious.. Pets..

Then, it's all up to you...

Hey there! :)
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 27th Dec 2011 at 6:45 AM
Based on what I own...

High-End Loft Stuff: Considering it's a stuff pack, it's hardly worth buying. There are a decent number of items that can be used compared to newer stuff packs, however some of the furniture is pretty odd. I don't use a majority of it because some of the objects seem so weird. If you don't build modern homes, I wouldn't recommend it. It's probably the least versatile. I especially don't recommend if you're looking for new clothing or hairstyles... EA did the worst job on this SP behind FLS. One perk, of course, is the 10th anniversary items. The Heart Shaped Bed, Guitar, and Aquarium are pretty nice to have, but then again don't add a lot to the stuff pack. Some of the new SPs are more worth it because they bring in items unique to other EPs, especially TLS.

Ambitions: I would consider this to be an ok EP. I think the only reason I use would keep it so much is for the music additions to the indie station (Rise Against and OK Go FTW! )... but obviously you aren't buying an EP for the music (and if you were, I would seriously question your sanity). Ambitions was fun for one or two careers, but then it just becomes repetative. I loved the firefighter career, but after a few sim weeks at level 10, it just got old and earthquakes freaked me out (and made me miss two family member birthday parties -.-). The rest of the careers are either too slow moving (architectural designer and stylist) or I don't feel interested in personally (investigator and ghost hunter). The clothes and world are only decent IMO. Overall, it's a mediocre EP.

Late Night: I feel like Late Night was the first true sandbox style EP for TS3. I enjoy the nightlife side of this EP, but to me the one downside was the fact that it only focused on YA's. It makes sense in context, but if you're looking for more family oriented, skip this one completely as there is nothing for any other age group. Vampires are pretty cool, and I've played one, but I feel like that's enough for me. I how Late Night is mostly focused on a bunch of small new features and not just a new BIG feature. I still have plenty to explore with Late Night and feel like it doesn't get old. The objects, clothes, and hair are fantastic along with Bridgeport (if your computer's fast enough). I love Late Night.

Pets: Even though I hardly had a chance to play Pets, it's still my favorite EP. I had Unleashed for TS1 and still think that TS3 Pets blows it out of the water. I feel like EA put a lot of thought into Pets -- no complaints here! I love the hair and clothes it gives plus the new world is pretty nice from what I've seen. It's an essential EP for any Sims fan!

Out of the SPs/EPs I own...

Favorite - Pets
Least Favorite - Ambitions

I only own HELS, but from what I've seen in other SPs:
Favorite - Outdoor Living tied with Town Life
Least Favorite - Fast Lane

(High to low) Pets, Late Night, Ambitions, HELS

Ambitions. These days I only like it for the music. xD
Theorist
#25 Old 30th Dec 2011 at 1:33 PM Last edited by vhanster : 6th Jan 2012 at 3:15 PM.
My favorite EP so far is Late Night, because of the High-Rises and Bridgeport. I haven't actually explore all aspects/features of the Expansions I have, but I don't think I really like Generations, since you need varying life stages to be able to fully experience the new features, but Young Adult is the only Life Stage I ever used. I haven't got Pets yet, though. It may or may not replace Generations as my least favorite

I don't have a single Stuff Pack purchased.

Late Night > Ambitions > World Adventures > Generations. Strangely, I bought the expansion packs in this Chronological order as well. Pets may screw this order, but really, I haven't tried Pets yet.

Generations. I think my TS3 began taking very long loading time eversince I installed that particular EP. Besides, it IS my least favorite expansion, although I don't plan to remove it.
Page 1 of 10