Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#26 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jay290783
Anyone have any ideas what the spawners are called in CAW comparable to the names in-game?
I can't figure out which spawner is which.
Same goes for the dig point for dogs. Which one is that in CAW?
Any ideas?

If you installed the framework and unlocked stuff from post 13 successfully they are called the same thing exactly in CAW as in game.. dog dig site, lizard spawner, turtle spawner, etc. A search for any of those in filter will lead you right to them.

SimSample:
I've barely played Pets myself.. did for about 3 hours I think and then started working on CAW projects with the new lots and such.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 11:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bakafox
If you installed the framework and unlocked stuff from post 13 successfully they are called the same thing exactly in CAW as in game.. dog dig site, lizard spawner, turtle spawner, etc. A search for any of those in filter will lead you right to them.

Really? In that case something went wrong.
I don't have them in CAW as original names.
I know they ended up in CAW though because of my previous post.
I don't get where they disappeared to then.
I have lots of spawners but none named like Lizard Spawner or Snake Spawner etc else I would've found those names and put them in my world straight away on last sunday.
I don't get what's happened. Why won't they show up properly with their names?
Test Subject
#28 Old 27th Oct 2011 at 3:41 PM Last edited by Tahera : 28th Oct 2011 at 7:59 AM.
I wanted to know exactly if animals (and which ones) spawn in a fresh new world so I made a tiny island with two larger community lots (nothing was build on them except of a few plants and a fence, one lot has a lake) and 1 residential lot for my testing Sim.

I played about one Sims week and I`ve got deer (2), wild horses (3), differents birds (5) and a raccoon. It was fun to see that the deer and horses were eating the plants I placed at the community lots and the deer was drinking water from the lake.

I didn`t get any of the small pets (lizzards, snakes, turtles etc.) during the week.

I also tried to get some straying dogs and cats by placing the new garden gnome at the residential lot but it didn`t work.

I hope that this info will be useful to some of you.

BTW: I`m working on a large world and I`ll test this one too, to see if there will be more / other animals in a larger world.

Edit: Skeleton mesh by EsmeraldaF
Screenshots
Test Subject
#29 Old 27th Oct 2011 at 5:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tahera
I wanted to know exactly if animals (and which ones) spawn in a fresh new world so I made a tiny island with two larger community lots (nothing was build on them except of a few plants and a fence, one lot has a lake) and 1 residential lot for my testing Sim.

I played about one Sims week and I`ve got deer (2), wild horses (3), differents birds (5) and a raccoon. It was fun to see that the deer and horses were eating the plants I placed at the community lots and the deer was drinking water from the lake.

I didn`t get any of the small pets (lizzards, snakes, turtles etc.) during the week.

I also tried to get some straying dogs and cats by placing the new garden gnome at the residential lot but it didn`t work.

I hope that this info will be useful to some of you.

BTW: I`m working on a large world and I`ll test this one too, to see if there will be more / other animals in a larger world.

Haha! I love your skeleton. Thanks for the info!
So I guess there must be something separate that dictates if strays show up? I'm gonna double check to see if I missed something.

I was reading somewhere else that the wild animals (deer, raccoons etc) don't even show up in the city. I played for a few days in Bridgeport and didn't see any wild animals either so I'm afraid that it may be true. Can any one else confirm? I'd really like to keep my world a city but not at the expense of losing the animals.
Test Subject
#30 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 8:02 AM
I played another game with the tiny island and this time I`ve got lizzards (instead of birds), a cat, horses, deer and the unicorn.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#31 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 11:40 AM
Really? In that case something went wrong.
I don't have them in CAW as original names.
I know they ended up in CAW though because of my previous post.
I don't get where they disappeared to then.
I have lots of spawners but none named like Lizard Spawner or Snake Spawner etc else I would've found those names and put them in my world straight away on last sunday.
I don't get what's happened. Why won't they show up properly with their names?

Did you try just searching with one word? like "Lizard" "turtle" "bird" "rodent"?

That's how I generally plug it in and they pop right up, maybe I was wrong and they don't actually say spawner in CAW? I dunno, I just typed in the type of critter and plunked them down without reading more.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 12:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bakafox
Did you try just searching with one word? like "Lizard" "turtle" "bird" "rodent"?

That's how I generally plug it in and they pop right up, maybe I was wrong and they don't actually say spawner in CAW? I dunno, I just typed in the type of critter and plunked them down without reading more.

Yup. Looked for Lizard and Turtle. I must admit that I didn't look for Rodent or Bird though.
I just don't get why they're not showing up in my CAW. I even redownloaded the file and put it in my CAW Packages Folder like I did with the files to get the Hidden Springs DT and the Food Truck and Parking Spot (which show up in CAW by the way) so just don't get why those Spawners aren't showing up

What file did you use with S3Pi to get the Spawners so I can make the package myself?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#33 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 12:31 PM
In my game, they show up as:
Lizard Spawner [number]
Large Bird Spawner [number]
Rodent Spawner [number]
Small Bird Spawner [number]
Snake Spawner [number]
Turtle Spawner [number]
If they don't show up for you Jay, it could mean that your CAW isn't reading the Pets file data, or perhaps you have some other CC interfering with this. Do you see any objects with a string of numbers like this?
https://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/...-TreesError.jpg
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 12:53 PM
I had that before I got Pets. Once I installed Pets they disappeared making me assume that they had gained their proper names and moved into the list of Game Objects alphabetically correct.
Those names definitely don't appear in my CAW though. I would've noticed the word Lizard for instance as I went down the list slowly and it all done alphabetically of course.
I'm stumped as to what the problem is
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#35 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 4:05 PM
Did you try it with all other CC removed? I had some in-game CC interfere with CAW before- someone cloned an object I wanted and after a game update it caused trees to disappear from my metadata. So it's worth trying, just in case.
Test Subject
#36 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 7:28 PM
Yup. Looked for Lizard and Turtle. I must admit that I didn't look for Rodent or Bird though.
I just don't get why they're not showing up in my CAW. I even redownloaded the file and put it in my CAW Packages Folder like I did with the files to get the Hidden Springs DT and the Food Truck and Parking Spot (which show up in CAW by the way) so just don't get why those Spawners aren't showing up

What file did you use with S3Pi to get the Spawners so I can make the package myself?

They are in the fullbuild0_p10 package for Pets; the description says 'minor...spawner'.
Test Subject
#37 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 1:26 AM
The minor animals, as well as the major ones, all show up in pre-pet worlds, within a few minutes of playing in any world you've already saved. You do not need spawners.
Retired
retired moderator
#38 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 2:23 AM
They have a much lower incidence without the spawners, though, as they're only spawning from base game gem spawners at very low rates.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#39 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 4:20 PM
Thanks for the information, lindawing and kiwi_tea- that's good to know!
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 30th Oct 2011 at 8:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Did you try it with all other CC removed? I had some in-game CC interfere with CAW before- someone cloned an object I wanted and after a game update it caused trees to disappear from my metadata. So it's worth trying, just in case.

Right, remind me how to do that, please?
I actually renamed my Sims 3 folder and deleted the WorldCache folder from my caw usertooldata folder and still i end up with them not showing up.

Thought I'd try doing it with my own file.
Used the method you posted here and still I don't get anything to show up in CAW.

I just don't get why nothing is appearing
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#41 Old 2nd Nov 2011 at 11:56 AM
Jay, if you have all custom content installed to your Mods folder (or installed by Launcher), then renaming your Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 folder should do it. But if you've been playing Sims 3 since the basegame, also check that you don't have any files installed 'the old way':
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title..._Way_to_New_Way
Do the 'remove the old way' bit.

Otherwise, I'm baffled as to why these aren't showing for you. Is your game and CAW fully up to date? You mentioned that you have the food truck showing up in CAW- do you mean my modded food truck? If so, that one is for the game mods folder, and is not modded to show up in CAW. The Appaloosa Plains DT is also a game item- you do not need a mod to have that show up.

Make sure your CAW framework is installed correctly.
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...p:CAW_Framework
Theorist
#42 Old 2nd Nov 2011 at 8:33 PM
Are you sure it's just gem spawners that produce the collectible pets? Seems to me that I have also seen them near seed spawners. Maybe other spawners too, that would beworth experimenting to see.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#43 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 12:08 AM
The fact they'll spawn off gem spawners has me a bit upset... working on desert world at the moment, and it has a LOT of gem/metal spawners... but as it is a very hostile environment I do NOT want critters spawning off them all O_o Would much rather they just spawned in this world off the applicable spawners!

Anyone seen if they still spawn off 'normal game' spawners if the real ones are in? If no one beats me to it, I'll try testing it next time I do a route-check export..
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 1:44 PM
Jay, if you have all custom content installed to your Mods folder (or installed by Launcher), then renaming your Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 folder should do it. But if you've been playing Sims 3 since the basegame, also check that you don't have any files installed 'the old way':
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title..._Way_to_New_Way
Do the 'remove the old way' bit.

Otherwise, I'm baffled as to why these aren't showing for you. Is your game and CAW fully up to date? You mentioned that you have the food truck showing up in CAW- do you mean my modded food truck? If so, that one is for the game mods folder, and is not modded to show up in CAW. The Appaloosa Plains DT is also a game item- you do not need a mod to have that show up.

Make sure your CAW framework is installed correctly.

Sorry. Slight confusion there.
The Food Truck does not show up in CAW.
I meant that it showed up in game and in EIG.
The DTs show up in CAW properly and they're in the correct folder to do that just like the pet spawners are in the correct folder alongside the DT packages but the pet spawners do NOT show up in CAW for some bizarre reason

I've moved mods into a different none mod folder. I renamed my Sims 3 folder as well.
I've wiped my cache clean.
I just don't get what's up

Anything else anyone can recommend I do or can think of what the problem might be?

What's extra annoying is that, like I've already mentioned, they showed up in CAW as those letters as numbers BEFORE I installed Pets.
So they WERE working but obviously didn't work in the sense of putting them in my world because CAW didn't recognise them because the applicable Pets files weren't on my computer.

Also, on a side note, my games are all up to date and so is CAW. You have to update CAW anyway because it won't open otherwise with Pets installed.

On a secondary sidenote, not sure if this should matter, but I've got the limited edition of Pets and have downloaded the Pet Shop.
I'm pretty sure that shouldn't matter, but could that be the problem?
I opened the applicable Pets game package myself and got the spawners so even if the files are different (which they shouldn't be) I have the ones applicable to my game

I'm truly stumped

Edit 1: I've just suddenly had a Eureka Moment
I remember editing that Resource.cfg file a bit ago. I bet that's the reason.
Only problem is, I can't remember which one I altered and where it is.
I edited the one that was recommended a bit ago I think on one of these threads or by one of the pages on the wiki.
Anyone remember about that? Anyone remember which copy it was and wheere it should be?
Could that actually be what's causing this problem?
Would that stop normal pets objects from showing up in CAW as well though? because I've got like the pet giant signs like advertising the pet food and the vets as well as other standard pets objects that EA allows for CAW automatically.

I'm probably wrong but hopefully it is just that file.
Do you think that could be the problem?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#45 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 3:30 PM
Just check your resource.cfg Jay, to see if it is correct. Although, if other items are showing up in CAW, I don't see how that could be a problem (unless you have things subfoldered?)

Lab Assistant
#46 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 8:45 PM
Just check your resource.cfg Jay, to see if it is correct. Although, if other items are showing up in CAW, I don't see how that could be a problem (unless you have things subfoldered?)

Wasn't the resource file afterall.
It was the default.ini file.
But they seem to be fine.

So that seems fine. So I genuinely don't get it now.

Why me?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#47 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 10:38 PM
Do your basegame and EP default ini files match? Check the one in Pets as well as the basegame, perhaps CAW isn't picking up your pets install?
Theorist
#48 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 4:01 AM
I did a little experiementing this evening. I played a small world which already had base game spawners only. I went around to community lots and added gem and seed spawners.

By 8am on the second day I had a turtle show up at the school where I placed a gem high spawner. That was the only critter that showed up in the first few days on a commercial lot. At 8 am I also saw a squirrel on an empty lot next to some bug spawners (ladybug to be exact - these were 'in the world' and not on a lot), and a crow near some bug spawners. There are probably about 20 bug spawners in this world (my sim has a collection helper so I could count them).

By 11:30 on the second day there were several varieties of McCaws near some gem and seed spawners (again these were out in the world and since I was not in CAW I don't know the spawner type), an Iguana (seeds), and a blue bird (gem aqua?). Finally saw another turtle on a commercial lot that I had placed Seed Special 2. Week 1 Day 3, I think?

Results are definitely tentative but it appears so far that gem spawners have a better chance at generating critters when on lots, but I definitely saw critters on a lot the other day that had 7 seed spawners on it and as mentioned above I saw a turtle near a special seed on a commercial lot. It also appeared that the bug spawners may have also spawned a critter or two in the world. If I have time I'm going to test this further.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 10:38 AM
Do your basegame and EP default ini files match? Check the one in Pets as well as the basegame, perhaps CAW isn't picking up your pets install?

They don't all match because, for example, Adventures is something like version=2 I think.
The pets and CAW ones match though and so does the Base Game but pet spawners still will not show up.
It seems every possible angle has been exhausted and no progress has been made.
I just don't get it.
What would happen if I added the pet spawners files directly to my world file?
Then again, even if that fixes it, it would only be relevant for the one world. I need a global fix not just a local one.

Still stumped
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 4:37 PM Last edited by SharaRose : 4th Nov 2011 at 4:54 PM.
I have the same issue and will be doing the troubleshooting dance later today. I'll post what works if I find it. Other Pets items are available, but wildlife spawners are missing in CAW.

In the meantime, if you want a temporary solution, check in EIG/World Editor. My spawners were visible there. Once placed, they can be moved around in CAW.
Page 2 of 4