Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#26 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 5:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99
Stupid question of the day: I haven't bothered with the horses yet (except for trying to keep them out of my parks) --- Is there any way to get the dung without having to have the horse? Can I just visit one of the equestrian lots and help myself?

I had no idea either, and I used to take lessons. Although the lessons mostly consisted of me getting the horse ready to ride and then cleaning it up afterwards with a short interval of terror in between.

I suppose theoretically if you knew a sim who owned a boxstall and a horse that used it regularly enough to make it dirty (which is why I doubt the Eq Center would help) you might be able to use the clean interaction on it to "steal" his fertilizer. But you'd have to hope that unattended horses will just use the stall autonomously, which seems like a pretty big reach.

Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Some of the wild horses have plaited tails too (and the way it's plaited bothers me, don't they know horses have a bone in their tails?)

No, no they don't. Look at the unbraided tails. There is clearly no bone in there because EA doesn't know anything about horses beyond "they have four legs and you ride them somehow."
Advertisement
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#27 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 6:19 PM
In real life I can't ride a horse worth a darn. they like to go whevere they want and rub me off on the nearest branch. However, my sims LOVE galloping around town and don't get rubbed off. )
Scholar
#28 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by porkypine
In real life I can't ride a horse worth a darn. they like to go whevere they want and rub me off on the nearest branch. However, my sims LOVE galloping around town and don't get rubbed off. )

That's because "obnoxious murderous beast" isn't a trait in the Sims the way it is in real life. Coincidentally, half the horses I know in real life have that trait, someone should really start randomizing their rolls...
Scholar
#29 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zokugai
I suppose theoretically if you knew a sim who owned a boxstall and a horse that used it regularly enough to make it dirty (which is why I doubt the Eq Center would help) you might be able to use the clean interaction on it to "steal" his fertilizer. But you'd have to hope that unattended horses will just use the stall autonomously, which seems like a pretty big reach.

Unfortunately, it would appear your are correct. All of my attempts to "liberate" the local dung have been unsuccessful, and somewhere along the way I seem to have acquired a horse. So, my next question is...has anyone seen a mod for buyable dung...and how the heck do I get rid of a horse???
#30 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 11:43 PM
So, my next question is...has anyone seen a mod for buyable dung...and how the heck do I get rid of a horse???

Shit don't cost a thing.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 12:33 AM Last edited by KajaB : 5th Nov 2011 at 12:47 AM.
I can easily make horse fertilizer buyable for you with an xml mod, how much would you like it to cost? Note, it will be without an icon in the shop but works just fine.
It would use the Ingredients xml file, so if you have any other mods that change that, typically all fruits buyable mods and such, it would be easier to just edit that mod to include the buyable fertilizer.
Bottom line is two mods cant edit the same file

Also, take your horse to the Equestrian Center and sell it
Scholar
#32 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 2:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KajaB
I can easily make horse fertilizer buyable for you with an xml mod, how much would you like it to cost? Note, it will be without an icon in the shop but works just fine.
It would use the Ingredients xml file, so if you have any other mods that change that, typically all fruits buyable mods and such, it would be easier to just edit that mod to include the buyable fertilizer.
Bottom line is two mods cant edit the same file

Also, take your horse to the Equestrian Center and sell it

That would be awesome. I have no idea how much the going rate for dung is these days. I wonder how many plants can be fertilized by each, er, unit? What form does it come in?

I can't believe I'm having a discussion about the value of poo.
Scholar
#33 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 2:26 AM
Hm, I just googled fertilizer prices and it seems like a bag is between $5-$40. So I would say 5-10 simoleons would make sense, but I'm not sure the size of the dung. What do you guys think?
#34 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 3:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CinderEmma
Hm, I just googled fertilizer prices and it seems like a bag is between $5-$40. So I would say 5-10 simoleons would make sense, but I'm not sure the size of the dung. What do you guys think?

Go all out. Sell bags of poop the size of Bob Newbie's head.
Scholar
#35 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 4:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Alley_Gaytor
Go all out. Sell bags of poop the size of Bob Newbie's head.

Realistically that'd be a very small bag of poop. Fertilizer's sold in bags the size of dog food bags, I think.

Scholar
#36 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 4:45 AM
^ That's why I think 5-10 simoleons is appropriate, since this dung isn't just deco :P
And I almost typed neopoints, too much Neopets I think XD I guess since I can't play sims right now, I'm replacing my internet focus I even played Sims Social to deal with the sim withdraw XD
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 8:39 AM
Wow. I didn't expect so much controversy to come out of what I said!

Just to clear things up: I agree that there really is no "right" or "wrong" way to mount a horse. You can mount from whichever side you like, although if you're an English rider it's universally accepted to mount from the near side (I don't know much about Western, so maybe it's different?). I'm not exactly sure WHY that is, but I think someone once told me about it stemming from medieval times to help Knights when they had their amour on? I've mounted from the right many times in real life, but not unless I have to. If you're mounting a new horse, or a horse that you don't know well, I think you should always mount from the near (i.e. left) side. I train new horses to accept being mounted from any which way (Just realized that could be taken the wrong way. Stop being so dirty.), so I'm not saying it's a forbidden practice, but I suppose the 'horse-woman' inside of me screamed "WRONG!" when I saw my Sim doing it. I sent her straight to the Equestrian Centre for a damn riding lesson!

I admit that I was wrong about my Sims mounting from the off side every time. I noticed soon after I posted that she had actually mounts from the left now and no longer resembles a sack of potatoes when riding. Here she is with one of her prized stallions, Captain Jack

She actually has an alright riding position!

Well... most of the time.

Sorry to the OP, I think we've gone a bit off topic here. Conclusion: YES the horses are decent :P
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#38 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 11:46 AM
You want know the reason for mounting from the left side? It's a purely military practice. Your sword is carried on your left side, so you can draw it with your right hand. If you mount from the right, it causes awkwardness. This is also the reason traffic used to be on the left: Because your sword is on the left, and so if traffic were on the right, your sword would bang into people on the other side.

Sims, of course, no longer have swords, and traffic is on the right in Simlandia, so mounting from the left means you're standing in incoming traffic while you do it. Since people these days are now swordless, and traffic is the other way, there are certainly practical concerns for not having a preferred side now, but those concerns were obviously secondary to that of not banging your sword into your horse every time you get on and off.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 1:33 PM
That would be awesome. I have no idea how much the going rate for dung is these days. I wonder how many plants can be fertilized by each, er, unit? What form does it come in?

I can't believe I'm having a discussion about the value of poo.

Here it is
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Horse Fertilizer Buyable.rar (4.0 KB, 26 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 2:17 PM
Just curious, how did you accidentally end up with a horse? I don't know if it's even possible. Then again, my sims never had much luck with wild horses. The best they got to do was to pet the thing, and somehow the next attempt to pet it was unsuccessful.

To be on topic, I think the horses are reasonably decent, and better fleshed out than the dogs and cats. Though I know nothing about horses, my interest is more of the horseless carriage variety. I suppose someone who is very familiar with them will find many things that's wrong with EA's horses.
Scholar
#41 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KajaB
Here it is

Thank you so very much, KajaB. You went above and beyond the call of duty there and it is much appreciated.

I'm not sure how I ended up with a horse. I sent one of my Sims to learn to ride while I was messing about with the other ones and a dog, trying to keep them busy while I was building them a new house. I must have bought a horse when I thought I was just picking one to ride. Apparently, multi-tasking whilst mainlining Godvia chocolate liqueur can cause confusion. Who knew?
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 6:52 PM
Thank you so very much, KajaB. You went above and beyond the call of duty there and it is much appreciated.

I'm not sure how I ended up with a horse. I sent one of my Sims to learn to ride while I was messing about with the other ones and a dog, trying to keep them busy while I was building them a new house. I must have bought a horse when I thought I was just picking one to ride. Apparently, multi-tasking whilst mainlining Godvia chocolate liqueur can cause confusion. Who knew?

Oh no problem at all
Xml mods are the easiest thing you can do and I like helping out
Test Subject
#43 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 8:20 PM
My horse got an all new coat color and markings when he aged up into a senior. Now I'm not too familiar with horses but...that doesn't seem like a normal happening for any animal.

Has anyone else encountered this?
Scholar
#44 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 11:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by desco
My horse got an all new coat color and markings when he aged up into a senior. Now I'm not too familiar with horses but...that doesn't seem like a normal happening for any animal.

Has anyone else encountered this?

I was just wondering why my foals are born with odd markings. One had a bulls eye(?). The other a bulls eye and a ribbon???

If anyone knows why either of these happen please share 'cause I find it a bit annoying.

And thanks, Pescado, for clearing up the reason for mounting a horse on the left.
Instructor
#45 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 2:53 AM
I adopted a foal with polkadots. I think it's kind of cute that they have weird markings, personally.
Instructor
#46 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 3:35 PM
I think that overall the horses are reasonably represented. I do have slight issues with the short, choppy gait and the way the tails are represented. <shrug> It could be worse.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Of course, the horse came home with him from Egypt... and this particular sim lives in Bridgeport, in an apartment Luckily this apartment complex has a very understanding landlord, apparently... my Sim was able to convert the garage and put a stall in there.

That is hilarious!

Her smile was like a rainbow after a sudden storm...
Instructor
#48 Old 8th Nov 2011 at 12:32 PM
Another thing that feels strange is the fact that the horses manes don't move when they gallop or jump. I don't find it surprising at all, since sim's hair doesn't move when they run. Somehow, I just keep expecting it to happen, and when it doesn't, it seems weird.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 8th Nov 2011 at 4:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AngelicScot
Another thing that feels strange is the fact that the horses manes don't move when they gallop or jump. I don't find it surprising at all, since sim's hair doesn't move when they run. Somehow, I just keep expecting it to happen, and when it doesn't, it seems weird.

And stay put when they put their head down
Makes screenshots of grazing horses look weird
Instructor
#50 Old 8th Nov 2011 at 6:09 PM
I like the horse very much. It's very refreshing.

The bad side is......although Appaloosa Plain build for horse riding, it's still not a very efficient to replace car with horse. It's a very time consuming for mount and dismount the horse, not to mention about some auto-dropping interaction for occasionally fail-route.
Page 2 of 3