Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 2nd Jan 2006 at 5:44 AM
I am going to try this. I was hoping it was possible. I guess I can post what I learned about bump maps. If you desaturate and then invert (invert the colors that is) the texture map, and then paste it over the bump map, you can easily bump any skin or texture.

Note: The "colors" you are inverting aren't colorful after the desaturation. They are shades tints and tones of white grey and black. The bump map raises the white areas and sets back the dark areas.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 15th Feb 2006 at 6:02 PM
And probably to add bump maps to new mesh (not Maxis)? This way nothing has turned out.
I want add b.m. to alpha skirt mesh...
But complexity here in what:
In package 6 files
body_alpha3~stdMatBaseTextureName.bmp - texture of skirt
body_alpha3~stdMatBaseTextureName_alpha.bmp - alpha of skirt
body_alpha5~stdMatBaseTextureName.bmp - Precisely same texture of skirt
body_alpha5~stdMatBaseTextureName_alpha.bmp - and precisely same alpha of skirt
body~stdMatBaseTextureName.bmp - texture of a jacket, shoes and all rest
body~stdMatBaseTextureName_alpha.bmp - alpha of a jacket, shoes and all rest

It turns out that here it is required three grey files !... But I have not other mesh with 3 body~stdMatMapTextureName.bmp

Whether is other way of addition bump map... Also there will be a hope that on new mesh the grey file will work?

help please
#28 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 6:18 AM
hey i need sims11.package... plz... =(
Forum Resident
#29 Old 27th Feb 2006 at 3:55 AM
It didnt work for me (((((

Onyx Sims is now open!
Forum Resident
#30 Old 25th Apr 2006 at 7:10 PM
I'm pretty sure there is a way to add a bump map to a edited maxis mesh isnt there? I would like to do it but I am not sure, should I make my mesh first and then do this? .....

Onyx Sims is now open!
Field Researcher
#31 Old 28th Apr 2006 at 11:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Morague
This process only works on Maxis meshes. New meshes don't have whatever it is that is needed for adding the bump maps.

Oh, rats....

I think you should add this bit of information to the first post as I worked 1 hour for nothing trying and retrying... *cries*

Thank you anyway, the tutorial is really great!
#32 Old 4th May 2006 at 10:02 AM
It's not working.
My sympe gives an error while trying to replace with PNG files... probably my PNG files ar not ok!
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 27th Jun 2006 at 10:32 PM
How do you know if you can see bump maps?

Dont forget to thank, it makes people feel better to know that you appreciate their hard work :)
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
#34 Old 29th Jun 2006 at 3:48 AM
Go to the Bump Map Tester Thread

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
Test Subject
#35 Old 5th Jul 2006 at 11:28 PM
I have been fussing with a bumpless skin all day and knew that there had to be a way! and VIOLA!!! WOOHOO!!

I am off to make my bumps!!!!

Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 20th Aug 2006 at 6:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Iffka
And probably to add bump maps to new mesh (not Maxis)? This way nothing has turned out.
In package 6 files

It turns out that here it is required three grey files !... But I have not other mesh with 3 body~stdMatMapTextureName.bmp

Whether is other way of addition bump map... Also there will be a hope that on new mesh the grey file will work?

help please

It would be so cool if there was a way to add bump maps to this mesh. Its my favorite mesh but I also love the effects of bump maps. so sad.
Test Subject
#37 Old 25th Aug 2006 at 10:30 PM
Thanks!
Field Researcher
#38 Old 27th Aug 2006 at 3:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rsim
If you desaturate and then invert (invert the colors that is) the texture map, and then paste it over the bump map, you can easily bump any skin or texture.

Hmm, why invert? I have heard some people practice this and I have never understood. I make my bumpmaps by desaturating the texture map (and lowering the contrast etc.), but I don't invert them. If there is a crease on the texture, it's dark. And it should be dark on the bumpmap too, because then it will look set back. Inverting is a wrong way, in my opinion, because it results in the opposite. Or do I miss something?
Forum Resident
#39 Old 6th Oct 2006 at 5:45 AM Last edited by OwaizooDE : 6th Oct 2006 at 6:57 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Iffka
In package 6 files

help please

ok so right now i am working on to add a bumpmap to ym new mehs based on afbodyslip

see if i get lucky
lol

what i have done is
exported afbodydresslongloose and afbodyhulaskirt
for longloose...i just did it for body file of afbodyslip
with hula i did some extra stuff by my self-(i dont think it will work but see wot happens)

ok
i failed
trying again..lol
Test Subject
#40 Old 21st Nov 2006 at 7:39 AM Last edited by ewall : 21st Nov 2006 at 8:20 PM.
I've been making shorts, but I have no shorts with the same mesh that has a bump map. I used the maxis mesh that came with the base game - the shortest pair with rips (no bump map) for female teens. Can I give it a bump map?
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 27th Dec 2006 at 4:43 PM
This thread say we can't add bump map to custom meshes but I've seen, and I've been playing with a lot of recolours from new meshes that HAVE BUMP MAP. And they work great.

If someone know how they did it, please tell me...
Scholar
#42 Old 29th Dec 2006 at 9:59 AM Last edited by pixelhate : 29th Dec 2006 at 10:07 AM.
Default bump map to skins or to clothes ?
I'm a little confused : I'd like to add a bump map to a skin
but people here are talking about skirts and short and Maxis meshes needed to bump enabled them.
So I still wonder if it's possible to add bump to a basic skin, and how to do it...
Any idea ?

*edit* Oh, I just found this thread and will study it.....

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
Field Researcher
#43 Old 22nd Mar 2007 at 7:26 AM
It didn't work for me either so far. I will try again though. It is 2007 and many Expacks later. Perhaps the instructions are out of date?
Field Researcher
#44 Old 25th Jun 2007 at 1:21 PM
I've tried it with a sportsuniform. I added a bumpmap. As base I used a bikini. It works.

oepusims.tumblr.com. I don't take request. I have 2 children and few freetime. Use my creations as you wish. You don't have to ask.
Test Subject
#45 Old 27th Dec 2007 at 6:35 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!
It helped a LOT!
XoXo
Page 2 of 2