Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 1:14 AM
Default [EP7] Complaint Thread
As most of you are well aware, there has been a leak on the new 7th expansion pack here. This thread is for those who are upset about the new expansion pack and want to rant or discuss why they do not like the idea of this expansion pack/aspects of this expansion pack.

I can say the one thing that disappoints me with this expansion pack is that weather will be pushed aside again. I also had hoped to see an Open For Business type of expansion or University.

Note: For those who are excited for this expansion pack, I have made an appreciation thread here.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 1:39 AM
Yay a topic where I can complain!!!

Well, actually I am kind of tired of doing that by now, but here goes...

I honestly hate the idea of this EP, even if it holding back Seasons weren't an issue, I'd still have a very low interest in it altogether. I'm sorry, I just have no interest in werewolves, zombies, and fairies. It's just...I'm playing a life simulation game here, right? A little supernatural on the side isn't always bad. For example I really liked the unicorns. However, an entire EP dedicated to the supernatural is the last thing I could have ever asked for.

You're right, what's even more annoying is that it is holding back actual life simulation features like Seasons, OFB, and University. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about university myself, though. Seasons and OFB, though. Those are flat out necessary if you ask me. Yet we keep on getting EPs like SHT and this instead.

And... the very thought that they are actually holding Seasons back for the last Expansion Pack is an extremely major pet peeve in relation to EA. If it's technical issues, fine. If not this is sooo not cool. Because you know what that means? It means we'll have Seasons for a short time again, and then in The Sims 4 base game we will be without yet again and we will also have to wait until the end of The Sims 4's life cycle. I don't know that I'll stay for the ride this time around.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 3:04 AM
I posted in the other thread about the things I would like about this EP, but the rest is just kind of unappealing. I mean, in the first two series of the Sims the last EP always had the magic stuff because they filled out the rest of the game with the previous expansions so it seemed like ending with some fantasy stuff for the rest was fine, yet there are so many "holes" left in the lives of our sims that it just seems to early for the release of such a pack. Seriously, an OFB, University, and/or Seaons remake are a must to fill in such holes but instead EA feels compelled to make silly stuff like exploring dungeons and performing. They had the right idea with Generations but they still missed out on so many things to round out our sims lives.

My only desire is if this EP had other, non-fantasy/magical things for the rest of us who prefer a little more realism but don't mind a little bit of the silly stuff either.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 3:43 AM
I agree that there feels to be a lot of holes with Sims 3 in general. I do like the surrealism of the Sims and I love werewolves/zombies/witches, but there are a lot of things that I would love to have for the game. I stated above already that I would love to have Seasons, University, and Open for Business. I would also like to see a Freetime sort of expansion pack with not only new activities, but new instruments as well. I would also like to have real hotels and something for the pool since it's pretty much just a ladder and a square of water.
Scholar
#5 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 8:26 AM
I'm reserving judgement, for the most part. I didn't play the Sims 2 for more than about 3 months, so I'm not as familiar with it as most simmers. It seems that magic fit in more with the TS2 expansions, hobbies, vacations, night life... But TS3's expansions have been more "real world" - if superficial. From where I'm at now, I just can't see it fitting into my game.

And I like fairies...
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#6 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 11:58 AM
It sux.

I mean, I HATE IT!!!!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#7 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 12:24 PM Last edited by gesimz : 11th Mar 2012 at 12:38 PM.
I don't necessarily have any complaints this stage (given that i'm reserving judgement until EA reveal it in official capacity) but what do you normally associate with supernatural/occult settings? Thunderstorms and gloomy weather. This EP presents the perfect opportunity for EA to incorporate weather/seasons into the magic/occult expansion pack (EP07). Whether they will do so or not remains to be seen, but I imagine it would please a fair few players if different weather conditions were introduced in this next EP to compliment the magic/occult/supernatural elements of it, of which they would fit perfectly.
#8 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 12:32 PM
gesimz... I can predict:

Q: Will there be weather in this EP?
A: We really wanted to focus on the more spiritual side of your Sims in this expansion. It will be AWESOME! They can become werewolves, fairies anything you can imagine (background echo from some female EAoid "awesome...")

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#9 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 1:06 PM
That would be a case of Déjà vu if that were to happen, just like with Showtime and EAs position on the emphasis of the "individual" in Showtime on the topic of incorporating Singers with Late Night bands (something we now know to not be possible). In my opinion, this was a business mistake on EA's part, purely from a money making potential point of view. I think if EA had made it possible to have Showtime singers join Late Night bands, it would've translated to greater Showtime sales and a spike in Late Night sales also. The linked feature could've then been used as a promotional tool to provide incentive to consumers who were undecided or had put off a purchase of Late Night for some time, to then invest in Late Night, and EA could've had a special promotion with a combined Showtime/Late Night bundle at a slightly discounted price. Easy money for EA it would've been and a genuine money making opportunity for them which has gone to waste.
#10 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 1:45 PM
But if you bear in mind that many if not all of these EPs are pretty much outsourced, and for all we know the Showtime one was being developed by subcontrator A at the same time Late Night was being developed by subcontractor B, and at the time no one knew what order they would come out in, it becomes clearer why we don't have the same feeling of one EP building upon another that we had in previous games.

Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 3:39 PM
Glad I found this thread! I have been cautious on the other thread..but I do need to vent.

I am not happy with this EP. EPs should add on to our existing games, not force us to completely change the way we play the game. I feel as if this EP doesn't belong with the rest of the Sims 3 series at all. Existing worlds will suddenly be inundated with supernatural beings that don't belong there and those of us who do not want to play them will have to wait until mods come out. Even then, I am not sure it is going to be possible to do so with an EP that is so focused on magical creatures.

Of course they will add some cool features you can't get if you buy the EP...like the bees and candle making and the psychic career. So you lose those (bees and candles would be awesome in a medieval world) if you decide not to buy. If they would offer them in the store, I would be okay with the EP.

There are so many other things they could have added to this game that would have added new complexity. Instead we get life forms which really are just body shapes with some powers that ultimately translate to sanctioned cheats. The magic in Sims 3 is really lame! Buffs...that you can get via cheats. They are not special or cool or whatever. I don't get the attraction of this EP, sorry!

There are so many beautiful games with magical themes out there! Whey put this in the Sims? Or if they did, why not split it like they did with Apartment Life so that everyone can have something worthwhile. Add some of the medieval stuff for themed worlds! Give us the ability to turn off some of the features, like cars, phones, etc. so we can REALLY immerse ourselves in a fantasy world. But they won't do that..and the result will be Twilight with fairies.
Test Subject
#12 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 4:03 PM
We're never going to get weather, are we? Never!! I strongly suspect that EA can't get it to work correctly over a whole neighborhood in even a half-assed manner, and are just hoping we'll forget about it.
Scholar
#13 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kgottwald
We're never going to get weather, are we? Never!! I strongly suspect that EA can't get it to work correctly over a whole neighborhood in even a half-assed manner, and are just hoping we'll forget about it.

No, I think we're definitely getting it. I am nothing close to a programmer, but from what I understand of the way weather works is that the visible precipitation only falls within a small radius of the game's camera. So the distant effect that the weather would have would be limited to stuff like snow accumulating on the ground.

It's been three years now. I think we can stop giving EA the "they have to work it out!" excuse now.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Field Researcher
#14 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 4:11 PM
I'm not a supernatural fan but I can't really say I dislike it yet because there's been no photos, no official information and no video (which will be a big decider for me). I guess I'm more "meh" and kind of indifferent towards it right now, but I do think it might be one of the most visually appeaing products from the franchise. I don't 100% see where people are getting there won't be a weather expansion pack with the announcment [unofficially] of this pack. For me, it's a little upsetting that I won't see a University pack in TS3.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#15 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 6:17 PM
Inge Jones:
That is one thing that annoyed me about previous expansion packs when EA finally discussed them. They would beat around the bush with features they know people want and haven't added it yet or have added a feature they know a lot of simmers will hate. If they would just be straightforward with everything, I would respect them and their decisions a lot more.

rian90:
No problem! I feel it's fair for both people who are excited about this expansion pack and those who are miffed about this expansion pack to have their own place to be able to discuss without the fear of ruffling feathers.

I know what you mean about finding an expansion pack that has a lot of items/features that you dislike save for one that you have been wanting since the base game.

bassoon_crazy:
Technically speaking, EA already has the weather with the fog emitter. All they have to do is make it a timer or a switch (depending on how they planned to make the weather start and stop) and be able to have it cover the whole neighborhood. If they make the weather itself 2D/ a billboard or make a parent/child particle, it should help with the lag even with an open neighborhood.
Theorist
#16 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 7:19 PM
I don't hate this upcoming EP but it's not value added to my game... so like PETS and SHT I will be passing on it.

I love how EA "LEAKED" the info in a patch and quickly yanked it back to replace it with one that doesn't have the info of EP7. It's a nice sleight of hand. A lot of people in the community were steamed and very unhappy with SHT but now that it's out, they "LEAK" this info to mollify most of us and to give us something else to talk about. My only concern about this EP is hopefully the patch won't give us some "side effects" like SHT's social media thing.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Mad Poster
#17 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 7:41 PM
I feel like weather will be one of the very last expansions. Maybe 9th or 10th.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lisfyre
A lot of people in the community were steamed and very unhappy with SHT but now that it's out, they "LEAK" this info to mollify most of us and to give us something else to talk about. My only concern about this EP is hopefully the patch won't give us some "side effects" like SHT's social media thing.

I am not sure about this. In polls, just about as many people didn't want Magic as did. This EP will probably appeal more to the casual person out there who sees the pretty package on the shelf than to the hard core simmer. I think they will see sales among regulars drop but grow among new folks..which is probably what they want.

There are lots of other ideas that would have appealed to everyone and they could have added magic to another pack if they really wanted to appease the Showtime haters. Actually, I see this Magic pack more similar to Showtime...almost a totally separate game and not really related to the worlds we are currently playing. I imagine many of the people who loved the idea of Showtime in the beginning also like this one.
Test Subject
#19 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 6:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
This EP will probably appeal more to the casual person out there who sees the pretty package on the shelf than to the hard core simmer.

What would make you say that? People play sims for a variety of reasons. Whether someone wants realism or whimsy has nothing do with how "hard core" they are. Whatever that means.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#20 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 8:24 AM
I understand that people want this or that EP/SP. But really, you can't please everyone. No matter what EP comes next, some will like it, some won't. I am reserving judgement until we get more info. I didn't think I would like Showtime, but now that I have it, I am really enjoying it. But that's the thing about this game, everyone plays it differently, and no one forces you to get every expansion if you feel it won't fit into your style of play. There are several things in each pack that I don't bother with, but every pack has something to offer, I think.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 9:25 AM
I dislike the sleight of hand they've used in marketing lately more than the EP itself. I really couldn't care less as long as they don't pull stuff out of their ass this time in regards to meaningless, unrelated, whined-over objects and features, cough SHT cough.

"Oh, X amount of people are complaining because of this? We'll throw in a pool table we held over from Late Night!"

"Oh, we 'accidentally' released two developer's trailers! Whatever shall we do?!"

"Oh, people don't like SimPort? Let's go ahead and make it optional even though our early broadcasts said it wasn't."

"Oh, let's do another leak and see who discovers it the fastest! Forum contest! Who wants to take bets?" *breaks out booze, a projector, and gets a comfortable seat*

I'm just starting to doubt that they have souls anymore up at EA. I wish Maxis would sue EA or something and get THEIR damn game back.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Field Researcher
#22 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 9:31 AM
I'm pretty sure its impossible for maxis to sue EA since maxis is now a part of EA.
But anyhow I feel you pain.

To be honest I don't really have any complaints. However if they would of had this as the last expansion I think it would of made more people happy.
Retired
retired moderator
#23 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 10:25 AM
My only complaint is that it isn't weather. This looks great, but it should be weather. Weather should have been the first EP, that way a heap of technical issues are ironed out, and can be worked around. It's such an essential component of the environment, and beyond that, weather demands integration with other EPs, which is much easier to provide if you do it sooner, rather than later.

Also I have it on reasonably good authority that this was an actual, unintentional leak. As I understand it, the gurus didn't even know about it until someone told them, and they were not happy to learn of it. I wouldn't chalk this down to sneaky marketing. Nor the trailers, that was a big obvious EA Australia flub - we Antipodeans are Very Far Away from Everything, and sometimes we get Confused About What's What.

Basically: "Never attribute to clever marketing what could as easily be attributed to incompetence."

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
#24 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 10:43 AM
I have been feeling sorry for whoever is responsible for this. I too don't believe it was intentional. What I think happened is that when they heard about the stuff from simporting remaining in the recipient's CC folders, they acted hastily to correct that, and did so by simply fixing it in their currrent working game files and shipping that as the patch - forgetting that loads of stuff had already been added towards the next EP!

I would imagine there is going to be complete mayhem at the start of this week, as the heads of the Sims dept get together to work out how to proceed. Whether to just come clean and say yeah yeah ok it's a magic EP next, or whether to slot in one of the other planned EPs next while they decide whether to relegate the magic to an SP or ditch it in favor of surprise.

Mad Poster
#25 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 10:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I would imagine there is going to be complete mayhem at the start of this week, as the heads of the Sims dept get together to work out how to proceed. Whether to just come clean and say yeah yeah ok it's a magic EP next, or whether to slot in one of the other planned EPs next while they decide whether to relegate the magic to an SP or ditch it in favor of surprise.

They will proceed like they always do, pretend nobody saw anything and release the trailer when it was supposed to be released as if it's the first time anybody sees anything.

I think the worst part of this leak is that it came so early, 6 month before the release (if it's released in September), now there might be stuff in the leaked resources that never makes it to the final product for what-ever reason, then everybody will mad at EA for not adding this and that. And how great this EP might be, will be lost in the hate-spam.
Page 1 of 2