Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 8:14 AM
Default What annoys you the most in the Sims Fandom?
Everyone has an opinion on one's fandom. The release of the three games and expansions have divided the fandom into many different factions. There are some aspects of the fandom that annoy you.

So here's a question... what annoys you the most in the Sims fandom?

For me...
Every person who is asking for "weather"... "pets" ... "university" to be in Sims 3.
To me they are just nagging for EA to start programming the Sims 3 and have the end product become Sims 2.5. I think we shouldn't limit EA's originality (if they do have any originality to begin with ... oh how I miss Maxis...) but what angers me the most is the million comments on the Sims 3 videos with angry nagging people (most likely those who don't even know how the technical sides of game programming) suggesting something that may blow up their laptops and computers.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 9:22 AM
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion in what they would like in the game.
What annoys me most about fandom, is the sheeps. The one's who think that every single thing the company does is like, the best thing ever, liek, oh my gosh!
At least those wanting something different aren't stroking EA's ego every time we get a half done EP.

P.S- Originality? LOL. The sim Gurus have reached the point of dressing like their sims. Dear god, what has the world come to? :P
Retired
retired moderator
#3 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 9:37 AM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 29th Jun 2012 at 10:01 AM.
The idea that no matter how much EA charges, and how poorly they maintain the product, the customer's duty is first and foremost to express unwavering gratitude.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 12:20 PM
Not to dismiss the overarching Corporate Evil of EA, but the single thing I find annoying is the knee-jerk reaction by some that everything EA do is yet another example of them sucking.

I remember the screams when they changed where the Mods Folder went, for example, just because people now had to put it in their Documents rather than hack the actual Program Files. People complained when 1.29 (or whatever) broke a bunch of mods, while ignoring the fact that the reason it broke them was to make the resource-structure simpler, more modular and easier to understand, thus making modding easier.

People complain about the imposition of the game forcing them to go online. Might be just me, but putting a tick in the little box that told the game not to go online didn't strike me as particularly onerous. Talking of online, I've heard rumblings of disquiet that the upcoming Supernatural will contain things people have already bought as Premium Content in the Store. What you bought was the satisfaction of having those things a year before averybody else. Get over it.

People complain that the Showtime content should have been included in the Late Night EP. Do they imagine that, years back, EA had entire EP's worth of material lying around and said, 'Oh no, we shall sit on it for three years just so we can gouge our fans then. And while we're about it, we shall manufacture a popular chanteuse named Katy Perry just to give the people who can't stand her something extra to whine about.' That would involve some form of time-travel, I think, and we got that in Ambitions.

I'm certainly no EA-apologist - they've used up one hell of a lot of good will. I can't remember when I last read a post by someone blinded by EA-worship. Can't seem to move, though, for the number of posts blinded by EA-hate.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 1:44 PM
The thing that irritates me the most is the chorus of people who scream 'OMG THIS EP IS RUBBISH!' when a new one is just announced. At least wait until some reviews are out!
Alchemist
#6 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 1:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 999rozes
I think we shouldn't limit EA's originality (if they do have any originality to begin with ... )

I was about to to write the same.

I come in peace
#7 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 2:13 PM
For me...
Every person who is asking for "weather"... "pets" ... "university" to be in Sims 3.
To me they are just nagging for EA to start programming the Sims 3 and have the end product become Sims 2.5. I think we shouldn't limit EA's originality (if they do have any originality to begin with ... oh how I miss Maxis...) but what angers me the most is the million comments on the Sims 3 videos with angry nagging people (most likely those who don't even know how the technical sides of game programming) suggesting something that may blow up their laptops and computers.

Funny you ask, because it's statements like this that actually really annoy me.

There are very few things in The Sims fanbase that annoy me more than those who go about features like Seasons and Pets would turn The Sims 3 into "The Sims 2.5", and go on about all of these wonderful 'original' ideas that EA needs to be coming up with for Expansion Packs instead.

The concept of a "The Sims 2.5" is just flat out ridiculous. The Sims 3 is a SEQUEL to The Sims 2. A quality sequel builds upon its predecessor. A good sequel does not throw aside major features in favor of all 'new'. If I wanted 'new', I would buy a new franchise. In The Sims 3 I have always wanted an even better The Sims 2. Of course we need some new ideas, but they really got that covered with the base game by adding things like Story Progression and the open neighborhood.

EA intentionally left out features like Seasons and Pets, even though they really should be there no matter what. The fans asking for them back are not in the wrong, and they are not asking for any "The Sims 2.5". If you want to point a finger, point it at EA. Tell them that they should prioritize these features and put them in the base game.

But even if they did that, they would not have many original ideas to work with. Not because EA is lacking in creativity, but because there is only so much that you can do with a game like this. I see so many people going around claiming how the rest of the EPs need to be all 'new ideas', but it's all too odd that I have never seen a single one of these people come up with a new idea themselves. They're always too busy whining about all of the people who want Seasons, Pets, etc. In the fandom (not talking about you here) I have noticed that some of these people just don't want Seasons and other older features. It's not that they want new ideas, it's that they want what they want, and then they slam the door on the rest right there and say "No, we need new ideas, now!" No joke. I have seen all too many so enthused about Supernatural, but when somebody posts they want Seasons or University back they're all like "I hate remakes, I want new ideas".

Yeah, sorry, but I'm not convinced that many of them actually care about originality. If they did as much as they talk, The Sims 3 would be off their radar by now because not even a single The Sims 3 Expansion Pack has been a new idea. Generations may be to some extent, but the rest of them are very closely related to The Sims 1 and/or The Sims 2 Expansion Packs.

Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
The idea that no matter how much EA charges, and how poorly they maintain the product, the customer's duty is first and foremost to express unwavering gratitude.

This as well. It always makes me laugh when I see somebody post "You should be grateful".

Grateful to a corporation for making product and charging us too much for it? You've got it all wrong.

Another thing that annoys me is all of the generalizing that goes around. When every Expansion Pack is released, there are always people who do not like it. Some who can not seem to stand the fact that these people exist become all dramatic about it and make posts going on and on about how the fandom is "never satisfied" and how "nobody is ever happy".

No... The fanbase is not all one person with one person. It is comprised of many different individuals with just as many different opinions. With that, there will always be a number of members who will not like an EP, and there will be some that think it is the worst thing ever because it is so far off from their playstyle. Now you could always tell that last group that the game does not revolve around them, but that's aside from the point. I see people that don't get this. They think that, for example, if a member does not like Pets and posts about it, then all of the sudden they are ungrateful, and that the whole fandom is also ungrateful and never satisfied. I'm just like "...What?". I see all too many members of this fandom that make posts that really make them seem like they really think that because the fandom in general was enthusiastic for Pets, that meant that the complaining member also wanted it in the past but when it came out they turned around and said "I don't want it." It's just ridiculous... We are all individuals. There were people who never wanted Pets. They did not beg for it until it released and then started complaining about it. They never asked for it. Likewise, there were plenty of members who begged for Pets who went on to be satisfied with it. But no, just one complainer, no matter whether they originally wanted Pets or not, and the whole fandom is responsible.

I don't understand how people fall for these incredibly large and false generalizations, and they also manage to get up on their high horses at the same time and it gets on my nerves.

I probably have more things I could list, but I'll stop there, this post has already gotten incredibly long.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Mad Poster
#8 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 2:35 PM
This one is going to be harsh, but I'll put it here:

When I see an unappealing piece of custom content (especially homes, since that's my area of interest) that are very unappealing, and fans, as a whole, will applaud and cheer more frequently than they would for a piece of content that actually looks nice. Some people can say art is subjective, but there is, obviously, a clear cut line. Like... what are we all rooting for, here? Sympathy or Talent?

Aside from that, the ever popular Sims Fan who feel as though the game needs to be catered to them to have fun, therefore they go one a "I'm not paying for these until I get X, Y and Z", and proceed to inform the world about their mission to take down EA, on expansion pack at a time.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#9 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 2:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MrsNervousSubject
What annoys me most about fandom, is the sheeps. The one's who think that every single thing the company does is like, the best thing ever, liek, oh my gosh!

Who are these people that you're speaking of?

The sites I browse (MTS, MATY, and hell--even the official forums), the general consensus is discontent. The EA-haters outnumber the sheep by a large margin. Every site I visit, people are just constantly bitching and moaning about how their game is broken/the shitty Katy Perry stuff/the absurd cost of DLC. It's like a circle-jerk of EA-hate.

I've also noticed that any time someone voices their content about the game, the angry mob turns on them like a pack of wolves.

♥ ❤ ❥ Tumblr (which I never update) ♥ ❤ ❥
My Blog
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 2:44 PM
That is easy for me. What annoys me most is the people who tell others what to think. So what if someone wants an EP with weather or university? Why is that skin off your nose? I appreciate the enthusiasm that makes people want various packs but I certainly do not expect them all to like what I want all the time! Some people are arrogant enough on the forums to go on and on about their favorite packs and then rudely dismiss someone who likes something else. Very annoying! On top of that, there are those that go even further and insist that just because one person doesn't like Magic (or Showtime or Weather), then they are 'ruining the the fun of their own personal anticipation' for whatever pack IS coming out.

Geesh. We are all mature enough here to have forum conversations so therefore, we should all be mature enough to stand by our own opinions without letting others 'ruin our fun'. If we can't stand others disagreeing with us, then why are we here? This is a forum! A forum's purpose is discussion, which can often lead to disagreement. That is fine, but why then start insisting there are wars on (insert weather, showtime, magic, whatever)? There are no wars, just people who can't seem to allow others to have their own opinions.

End of rant: Obviously, the OP's post is the type that annoys me. Had he/she not asked for our opinions, I would have ignored this thread.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 3:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
That is easy for me. What annoys me most is the people who tell others what to think. So what if someone wants an EP with weather or university? Why is that skin off your nose?

Couldn't agree more. I don't have Pets, for instance, have no interest in getting it - but there's no denying it's a valuable addition for those who like that sort of thing, and have computers which can handle its effective instant doubling of the number of Sims in town. Likewise, I think weather and seasons should have been the remit of the Base Game, but if it takes an EP to do it then I'll probably buy it.

It's not like people are wrong for demanding a Weather EP or whatever, but it doesn't work out quite like that. It's not like, 'I want weather!' It's more like, 'How dare they do a Magic EP instead of the Weather EP that I and all right-thinking Simmers want! It should all be about me, and what I want, and nothing else! Me, me, me!'

Showtime is pretty much my second favourite EP after Late Night, but I wouldn't want to deny the people who got Pets their pleasure. I just get the nasty feeling there are people out there who, if they got the chance, would happily deprive me of mine.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 3:55 PM
Everyone has an opinion on one's fandom. The release of the three games and expansions have divided the fandom into many different factions. There are some aspects of the fandom that annoy you.

So here's a question... what annoys you the most in the Sims fandom?

Your rest of your post (not quoted) and posts such as those would be #1 on my list.

#2: People who post about how much they loathe EA in threads that are COMPLETELY UNRELATED to why one should or should not loathe EA. (this is a recent addition and has become a rapid mover up the list)
#3: The gratitude thing kiwi_tea mentioned. I stopped reading TS2 EP chats because of the endless lines of people thanking EA for making the game. There's nothing wrong with thanking someone for doing their job but I tend to reserve that for people who do their job well and not to the point of sycophancy.

Honorable mention: People who claim to hate Twilight and yet all they ever talk about is Twilight or somehow manage to put a Twilight reference in every conversation. (doth protest too much much?)
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 4:12 PM
I'm just sick of people who aren't happy with ANYTHING because it's not what they want. Every time I watch an announcement trailer on Youtube, every comment is always "BUT IT'S NOT WEATHER!" and they dislike it. It doesn't matter what it is, or how interesting the EP may look; if it's not weather, it's not good enough. And that's not to say that it's only the seasons fans who do this (which by the way I am a fan of seasons and I want it in the game as much as anyone, but that doesn't mean I'm going to bad-mouth every EP until I get it), but it seems like it's the most popular demand. So many Sims players can't just go "Oh well I wish it was something else, but this looks nice too." They have to whine and moan because it's not what they wanted, and they don't let anyone else forget that it's not what they wanted because all they do is complain about it every time the new EP is mentioned. It's one thing if you're just a little bummed that you might have to wait at least one more EP to get weather or whatever you want, but some people get really irritating with how upset it makes them, like it's a personal slight against them or something.

(Again, I'm not trying to say it's only the weather-wanters who do this, and I do want weather too. It's just the best example I could think of because it's the most popular).
Scholar
#14 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 4:42 PM Last edited by Periandre : 29th Jun 2012 at 4:43 PM. Reason: spacing
Many of the things already listed scored higher on my list, and this is kind of covered above...

It is not a forum requirement that you must post in every thread. If the thread is filled with people happy about something-- whether it's an EP, world, store item -- whatever, and you don't like that something-- even hate it... well maybe that thread is not for you.

There is no reason to chime in and buzzkill it.
Theorist
#15 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 4:56 PM
For starters, lets clear something up right now. When EA announced they were making The Sims 3, everyone in the community said, it better not be The Sims 2 rehash in terms of same things all over again because if it is, the game would be pointless. So EA did what we wanted them to do... they didn't rehash any of the Sims 2 stuff. Until we started screaming... What no weather?!?!?, No Pets?!?!?, No University?!?!?!, No OFB?!?!, No Magic?!?!, No Aliens?!?!?, No Werewolves?!?!, No Vampires?!?!? etc., etc., ad infinitum GOT IT? But... here we are 3 years in with The Sims 3 and we've gotten pets, vampires, we're getting magic and werewolves back and if you want to believe the rumours - we're getting weather back.

Having said that - EA should have included all or most of the things we got used to in The Sims 2 like weather, university and pets - maybe not pets but definitely a new and improved version of weather and university. Stands to reason, they should have included it only because it would have given them the freedom to create new and original concepts for EP's that we never had in The Sims 2. But they didn't and IMHO, this is where they dropped the ball. And guess what... when EA announces The Sims 4, people will once again be saying - Don't rehash Sims 2 and Sims 3 because making the game will be pointless if you do. And round and round we go again....

"... oh how I miss Maxis...." Seriously?!?!? First and foremost, Maxis married EA - lock, stock and barrel. If the box on The Sims 3 said Maxis instead of EA, with everything that's been released thus far, you (as in not you personally but generally the community) would be screaming - WTF did you do to our game?!?!? And why would you be screaming that? Because Maxis takes direction from EA. Right now, we (as in generally the community of Sims fans) scream at EA for mucking up OUR GAME and saying that MAXIS would never screw up this badly. WRONG again - Maxis is OWNED by EA and reports up the ladder to EA. EA says JUMP... MAXIS goes HOW HIGH?

That is what annoys me the most. Everybody screaming I want Maxis to make my game again because they will do it right. Maxis - old or new people will do exactly what the "BOSS" says they have to do. The BOSS is EA.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Forum Resident
#16 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 6:15 PM
One of the things that does get to me is that a lot of times, there seems to be one group speaking for everyone. As lisfyre mentioned with the Sims 3 rehash for example.
There are a lot of people who didn't want Sims 3 to be like Sims 2 from the start, but there were others that wanted Sims 3 to be a better version of Sims 2.
To follow up on that, it's just a little nitpick of mine, but when people use the term "we" instead of "I" when stating what they want in an expansion pack or idea. I know it's silly and I'm sure most people do mean "I" instead of "we", but it does irk me a little.

Regarding Maxis, I agree. I'm still a huge Sims 1 fan, but I do feel like Sims 3 has its own charm as well. I am not sure what Sims 3 will be like if Will Wright was working on it, so I can't really say that it would be better. Who knows? It could have been a huge flop.

Quote: Originally posted by harlequinzombie
I'm just sick of people who aren't happy with ANYTHING because it's not what they want. Every time I watch an announcement trailer on Youtube, every comment is always "BUT IT'S NOT WEATHER!" and they dislike it.

That is one thing that annoys me as well. Not just for weather, but for a lot of the expansions. I don't mind someone sharing their opinion on the matter or discussing it, but some people were outright bashing others for enjoying something. I don't see it here, at least not too often. It's mostly in the Sims 3 official forums, which tends to make me feel bad for the other people who are enjoying it.
This also leads to the opposite extreme when someone is just sharing their opinion or dislike on an expansion/idea and a huge fan will use the "don't like it, don't buy it" statement. I'm sure the person knows they don't have to buy it, and probably will not buy it, but I still think they should be able to talk about their dislikes in a meaningful way.

The one thing that really gets to me is the massive hostility that's been happening to some CC creators. I think the biggest thing is people getting hacked and their content getting deleted and/or stolen.

I know a lot of mine is just nitpicking, and it isn't something that would keep me away from the Sims 3 sites since I do feel like there are more positive things about it than negative.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 6:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sgloomi
I've heard rumblings of disquiet that the upcoming Supernatural will contain things people have already bought as Premium Content in the Store. What you bought was the satisfaction of having those things a year before averybody else. Get over it.

We're not getting the magic content from the store with SN.

SimGuruSarah: I’m here to tell you about how the The Sims 3 Supernatural is going to enhance existing magic items that are available on The Sims 3 Store! These items will not be included in Supernatural, but if you’ve purchased them from the Store, you’ll get the benefits of these special effects:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/551330.page
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 6:48 PM
[QUOTE=lisfyre]For starters, lets clear something up right now. When EA announced they were making The Sims 3, everyone in the community said, it better not be The Sims 2 rehash in terms of same things all over again because if it is, the game would be pointless.

QUOTE]

Small sticking point with me, you keep saying the whole community said that. I know that I lack the time to be a online part of the community but I wanted things from Sims 1 and 2 to be brought forward into Sims 3. I talked to other players back then who also wanted things from Sims 1 and 2. Just because the players you hang out with are more likely to agree with your world view does not mean that you and they speak for everyone.

We are a diverse group of players. We all like and think different things.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 7:29 PM
In a word: catloveridiot

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#20 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 8:26 PM
My general rant is when people start in on EA, going "We Want Open For Business!" or a similar statement, usually based around a pack that already has an equivlent pack for Sims 3. I understand people want what they want, but Ambitions was the "job" pack for Sims 3. Yes, it may not be exactly like OFB was, and you can't open a clothing boutique. But it included many features that we now take for granted, like the ability for self-employed Sims to register as Self-employed. It also included Non-Rabbithole jobs for the first time. There are many ways you can "fake" it, and in all honesty, I've worked retail, it isn't that exciting. Remaking OFB exactly as it was would only start up the argument between those who want the new and those who want the old. The pack has been out for years, it's time to let it go.

Or when people complain about how two packs should have been combined into one, like, say, Late Night and Showtime. True, on the surface, they may look similar, especially with the celebrity system. But Late Night was about clubbing, partying, and living in an urban environment. Showtime focused on entertainment, as in, some form of Show Business. Really, the two packs are very different in scope. Just because you could form a band in Late Night doesn't mean that was the focus of the pack.

But in general, I don't really care one way or the other about what pack gets made next. No game out there can do everything people want. If you want Seasons to be the next pack, great. But the constant rage when some simmers don't get exactly what they want for their game gets a little wearying, to tell the truth. Just because we are getting a Supernatural release next, doesn't mean that "EA doesn't listen to what it's customers want!" (That's a whole other can o' worms) People have been asking for magic things in their game for awhile now, and now we are getting one. In this instance, at least, EA listened to a portion of their fan base.

I guess the whole crux of my post here, is that, unlike other games, the Sims can be played so many different ways, depending on what you like. You can only play Call of Duty so many ways, but Simmers have builders, or people who make pretty Sims, or who use it as a medium for story telling, etc. Not everything that gets released is going to fill every types of players needs, yet some people seem to think that EA is delibrately ignoring them, just becasue they don't want this pack, and want something else. It can't be easy for ANY company to meet everyone's needs, much less the needs of a hugely diverse group of gamers that the Sims have.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 8:36 PM
The thing that annoys me the most is this fandom's strange obsession with making all the Sims cross-dressers. ಠ_ಠ
Test Subject
#22 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 8:44 PM
What cause me the most anger are the people who freaked out about the Sims 4 "leak" trailer. Now I don't work for EA, but if you look closely you'll see that the cars are real. It would be a downright horrible move to get real cars in the game. Why? A. It would ruin the humor in the fake products and B. It would make objects like the Hikon camera seem out of place.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 9:05 PM
What annoys me most is that when someone asks for something different, they're bashed for it. I've seen fans say they wanted a farming ep. I don't know how many times I've seen this answered with negative remarks. And the irony is the base game came with plants to garden, which of course brought lots with a farm theme. Isn't it a logical step since they're kind of giving you a chance to farm, anyway?

I haven't read many other ideas for new content since I got so annoyed with the bashing.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 9:47 PM
Like Roller Coasters and Big Water Slides, for example.

Excuse the fan base for wanting stuff from the Sims 1...

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#25 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 10:11 PM
It annoys me that other fandom sites don't have agree-disagree-helpful-funny-love buttons at the bottom of each post, and then I find myself going through button-pushing withdrawals. Makes me feel like a total addict.
Page 1 of 2