Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Retired
retired moderator
#51 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 4:14 PM
Excellent caption from Babele's link:

"Here we can see a Viking busse crew disembarking. As you can see, they are totally smashed, very happy and completely lost"

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#52 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 4:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
This world is similar to:

Barnacle Bay

I has a scared.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#53 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 4:24 PM
Because it's an island...

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Retired
retired moderator
#54 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 4:43 PM
Now now Matrix. Usually I find zigersimmer's deep-seated commitment to having a glass half full a bit tiresome, but that one got me lolling.

Mad Poster
#55 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 4:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by babele44
*the crew believed the bear to be a Native American woman and treated it as such. Thoroughly unimpressed with what they assumed to be an average American women (disobedient, bad tempered, loud and incredibly hairy), the Vikings never even considered a return voyage.

They must have drunk some really strong beer.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#56 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 5:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
They must have drunk some really strong beer.
I've no idea. You should probably ask the disagreers to my post. They seem to have some more profound knowledge on that matter - eye witnesses perhaps?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#57 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 5:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
Now now Matrix. Usually I find zigersimmer's deep-seated commitment to having a glass half full a bit tiresome, but that one got me lolling.

But... but...

...fine.

Retired
retired moderator
#58 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 5:25 PM
Interesting thoughts. Genetic studies show Polynesians all originally came from Asia and radiated South, but a lot of Mormon Polynesians believe that Polynesians came from the Americas, via the Native Americans, who they believe are descendants of a lost tribe of Israel. Now, of course the Vikings discovered the North of North America, up round Canada (ie, they didn't offload in the tropics like that picture). So if the Vikings interbred with Native Americans, and then spread out to Polynesia, we're almost there. Too much coffee late at night makes me think this sort of thing.

Now that's done, let's invent a conspiracy theory about how Australia was populated by Martians.

[edit: Martian convicts, of course. Cos Australia.]

Theorist
#59 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 5:32 PM
As much as I don't think TS3 needs another tropical island world (50% of worlds are) this looks like one of the best. I still prefer Coconut Island however. :D

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#60 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 5:35 PM Last edited by babele44 : 16th Aug 2012 at 6:32 PM.
Well, according to that article the vikings interbred with native American bears so I can only assume that this genetic line ended rather prematurely and did not lead to any consequences that can be linked to the Polynesians, unless, of course, you are very hairy and have these unexplicable urges to catch fish with your bare hands.

Edit: But to solve the boat mystery: I'm pretty sure that it's the one that is already available in World Adventures. It's been used on a lot called Ship's Oasis in Egypt. So neither Viking, nor Polynesian but fake Egyptian. And fake because it looks more like an ancient Greek longship with a weird turret that looks very medieval, either Osmanic or European.
Forum Resident
#61 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by babele44
the vikings interbred with native American bears

What? o_O

edit: Nevermind, read the "article".
Forum Resident
#62 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Willow's Tara
Oh, this is probably going to sound whiny but no, just add swimming with the actual game, not the patch.

Swimming in the ocean will only come with the Seasons EP, not in a patch. One of the gurus (Tater Tot, maybe?) said that. So if you buy Sunlit Tides, your sim cannot swim in the ocean until you also buy Seasons.

Which may lead to people waiting to buy ST until after Seasons launches...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#63 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 7:50 PM
Swimming comes with the patch, which leads us to believe we'll get more water content. Probably boats or something.

Retired
retired moderator
#64 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 7:50 PM
SimGuruGraham, who is one of the producers on Seasons, confirmed to me yesterday that ocean swimming comes in the Seasons patch. He was pretty unambiguous: https://twitter.com/SimGuruGraham/s...770504890437633

Instructor
#65 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 7:51 PM
They can teleport there as well.

Or plop down a subway, phone booth or dive well. :p
Nehh.. I know, but that doesn't seem realistic or fun :/
Mad Poster
#66 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 7:55 PM
Swimming comes with the patch, which leads us to believe we'll get more water content. Probably boats or something.

I really hope so about the boats. I did want one of the islands to be a home for my loner sim family, but there is no way to transport the toddlers to some of the community lots I like to put in my worlds. Don't want to teleport, it's not that fun or realistic for me.

I guess I must scrap that idea.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Field Researcher
#67 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 7:57 PM
Looks like this world would go great with NRaas' Traveler mod. I'm not sure if I would use it as a home world though.
#68 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 8:06 PM
Boats seem unlikely because of how the water routing works. I think with the swim raft, the sim gets in the water, and then kind of pulls it from hammerspace like with everything else.

If everybody promises not to complain about it, I'm sure they'd throw in boats as long as the sims swam into the water, pulled it out of hammerspace, and then hopped in.

Or maybe a placeable (edit-town) bo...bouy...byou...buoy? Buoy? A placeable buoy could be a marker for where boats spawn, and it teleports there like a car and your sims hop into it. I wouldn't keep your hopes up, though.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#69 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 8:11 PM
It's been a dream of mine to have an ocean lot - a lot that we can build on, with the water being the base level, and we can build things like little small islands, or yachts, or underwater tombs, aquariums and what have you.

Forum Resident
#70 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 8:55 PM
SimGuruGraham, who is one of the producers on Seasons, confirmed to me yesterday that ocean swimming comes in the Seasons patch. He was pretty unambiguous: https://twitter.com/SimGuruGraham/s...770504890437633

My bad. Tater Tot said the patch, as well. I either misremembered what I'd read, or glossed over that part. Either way, you're correct, it comes with the patch.
Retired
retired moderator
#71 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 9:32 PM
A worrying development:

Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruSarah
To clear up confusion on Swimming: The Sims 3 Seasons patch will add swimming for everyone, whether they buy Seasons or not. Sunlit Tides will be a lot more fun with swimming, but you do not need swimming Sims to enjoy all that Sunlit Tides has to offer. Sunlit Tides was already in development when the Seasons team started to work on swimming, so we tried to add some extra special things that would make the world that much more awesome once swimming was added to the game. There are some little sandbars with collectible spawners that you won't be able to access without swimming, but don't worry, we don't have huge land masses off bounds or anything like that. If anyone has any questions about ST and swimming feel free to ask

My immediate response:

Quote: Originally posted by CAW Wiki
@SimGuruSarah Have you tested the world with pets? Is there any way to ensure pets do not spawn on these sandbars, seeing as they can't route off them to their destinations? NPCs should be fine as they can swim, but pets may cause severe stuttering and lag if they cannot route anywhere.

I'm quite worried about this now.

Theorist
#72 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 9:58 PM
Yikes, that could be bad. I remember there was a community lot on Johnnywr's Saskan Harbour world that was situated on an island. I converted it into a residential lot and moved in a sim, but that ended up causing lag and freezing because the mailman and other NPC's couldn't get there. And that was long before Pets came out.

This world looks great but hopefully it's the last one we're getting in the Store this year. At this rate we're going to be over saturated with pricey worlds. Plus it seems weird to put this out before Supernatural.

A new Sunlit Tides-themed $60 SimPoint bundle was added to the store and it contains starfish, picture here: http://simsvip.com/?p=14477

Anyone else think those starfish look like they don't blend well enough with the sand? It looks like there should have been some small shadows under them to give them a bit more depth. Either way I wished they would have been put in a cheaper bundle this time, I already bought the Lucky Palms Perfect Prickers bundle.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#73 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 10:20 PM
Now, EA has to add swimming for Pets so the game doesn't explode.

Alchemist
#74 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 10:37 PM
A worrying development:

My immediate response:

I'm quite worried about this now.

Heh, and her response is a pretty bad one IMO. "Didn't happen to us, hopefully it won't happen to you!" Seems like kind of a weird stance to take on the subject. I guess that's EA's method of beta testing. "I dunno, it seemed to work at the time..."
Retired
retired moderator
#75 Old 16th Aug 2012 at 10:52 PM
It's just a bit naive, given how many EA worlds have had major routing problems in the past, to think the relatively small numbers they must have for testing are sufficient to catch these bugs. It's really gotten to the point in the game where they should be hyper cautious, because unlike custom builders, they can't go back and fix things. Basically: Don't take risks.

This is a risk. It's true pets seem to have better routing than Sims (though horses have their enormous "tight spaces" issues, I always wish they made large vehicle reversing signal noises when they walked backwards).

Page 3 of 19