Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 12:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WintertimeExplainer
I don't know. I am not on the development team. But the fact is, if they made it so you can't swim in ponds, they probably had a reason for it.

Remember the pond behind the science facility in Sunset Valley? Probably they want to prevent accidental sim mutants in people's neighbourhoods.
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 1:51 PM
May be pond is too shallow. So EA decide to turn it off completely, even for the deep one too. Too bothersome and costly to add extra code......
Instructor
#28 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 3:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sakarri
I live in the suburbs, but just from seeing how disgusting geese can make a pond, you couldn't pay me to go swimming near cows.

I grew up in Oregon and Southern California. We didn't swim in ponds either. But my cousins who grew up in Ohio most certainly did. Amazingly, the water was clear as glass and they never had any accidents or incidents. It even had fish in it.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Top Secret Researcher
#29 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 3:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
But if your lot overlaps into world water, then the sim can swim in it from the lot? It would be disappointing if they can only do it outside lots, because townies never appear in non-lot locations except when they are travelling between lots - which they only seem to do in vehicles.

I have found that it is difficult to make good lots that overlap the water, even if just to have a fishing spot behind a house. I guess it works okay, but the colors never quite match and it doesn't look good.

As for the beach, most beaches are public, even if there are houses there. You can walk the entire beach, crossing behind people's houses. Now, some folks here in Florida are known to try to chase people off of 'their beach', but as far as I know, the courts side against the homeowners. I have a tough time understanding how anyone could 'own' a beach! On the other hand, I do like those houses in N.Carlina that have decks over the beach...although I have also seen them slide into the ocean during a Nor'easter. I don't think beaches like to be owned.

As for ponds, I swam in them growing up in Illinois. Now they are too polluted with fertilizer and animal waste so I would not let my kids swim in them. If a pond is spring fed so it is cooler and is constantly recirculating, it is not so bad. Even though though, a family here lost their son to some sort of bacteria from fresh water that entered his brain. So I might even avoid Florida springs these days. Warming weather is really affecting the things growing in our fresh water.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#30 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 5:14 PM Last edited by babele44 : 17th Aug 2012 at 6:43 PM.
OK, I am getting confused now with two different threads dealing with that subject and two different kinds of information.
What is the status quo with regard to information on swimmableness - only off lots or also on lots?
From what I understood in the Seasons thread swimming ON lots is out, no matter whether it's river, sea, ocean, lake, pond or puddle. Swimmable water is only possible on the world lot.
Here in this thread it is suggested that it is not so.

Found my answer:
Quote:
For all of you world builders out there, your Sims can swim in the bodies of water you've created as well! As long as the ocean, river or lake is not on a residential or community lot, has a gradual slope into the water, and your Sims can walk to the coast, then they can dive right in!
(emphasis my own)
Source: SimGuruCharles http://www.thesims3.com/community/b...l?blogid=448168
#31 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 8:23 PM
Maybe the routing is too complicated for a lot. Have you ever looked at lot routing in CAW? It's really weirdly complicated, and a pond not only screws with the routing of the whole lot, but if you add in the pond itself having its OWN routing...I dunno.
Scholar
#32 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 9:11 PM
As long as they can swim in something other than a pool I'm happy. That at least adds some realism to the game considering most people don't live on or near a beach, river or lake anyway and have to travel a bit to get to one...even those of us that live on the west coast of Florida!

I'm not gonna bitch at all about how it works...unless of course it's totally borked THEN I'll bitch!
#33 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 9:43 PM
Anyway, I dont understand what the big deal is about swimmable lot water anyway. If you're gonna just build a lot over CAW water, it's probably a big section of CAW water, right? So just build the house a few inches from the shoreline. :-p (Why can I never get that emoticon to work!?)
Mad Poster
#34 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 10:04 PM
Because the correct way to type it is *colon capital P*,

Looks like it doesn't work for me either.

WTH, now it does work?

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
#35 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 10:08 PM
Well, Mr. Explainer, that is the issue we are here to find an explanation for.

Someone already made a lot where the answer to this question may be crucial in determining its functionality:
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/po...81.page#9253127
If the CAW water on that lot remained CAW water and was swimmable, this lot would be great.
If the CAW water turned into lot water instead, it would still be a nice lot to look at but in order to swim Sims would have to leave the lot (one consequence being that you cannot take a toddler with you and leave it on the beach)
If the CAW water turned into lot water and broke the water routing in its course, that would be very bad.
#36 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 10:30 PM
CAW water stays CAW water when on a lot, but it's also broken, entirely, in every single possible way. I don't know if this works with lots just over water, or lots with the water hidden in the ground.

What I mean is on some custom worlds you can dig into the ground on a lot that isn't on the water (but is close) and reach CAW water. Your sims can route right through it, but they can't fish in it or interact with it in any way. The game doesn't acknowledge it as being there, because it doesn't know how, I guess? The fact that a lot is over it causes it to work incorrectly? I figure it'd be the same for swimming.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 10:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by babele44
Well, Mr. Explainer, that is the issue we are here to find an explanation for.

Excuse me, but you really think the Non-Programmer people posting in this thread are going to give an explanation for why the game devs programmed it the way they have, in advance of the EP being released?? Ha ha ha. Even a programmer cannot give this answer IN ADVANCE of the EP. This should be obvious.

If you want an answer to this question right now, I suggest you contact the game devs and DEMAND an answer from them right now.

As far as that beach lot you've linked to, the creator will simply have to make it in a new version after the EP comes out, if they want it swimmable; dragging the edge of the lot back from the water. It doesn't make the lot useless in the game right now, if it were available as a lot now.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
#38 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 10:37 PM Last edited by babele44 : 17th Aug 2012 at 10:47 PM.
CAW water stays CAW water when on a lot, but it's also broken, entirely, in every single possible way. I don't know if this works with lots just over water, or lots with the water hidden in the ground.

What I mean is on some custom worlds you can dig into the ground on a lot that isn't on the water (but is close) and reach CAW water. Your sims can route right through it, but they can't fish in it or interact with it in any way. The game doesn't acknowledge it as being there, because it doesn't know how, I guess? The fact that a lot is over it causes it to work incorrectly? I figure it'd be the same for swimming.
Thank you! There, have a "helpful" click.

@Shimrod: Sorry if this came the wrong way, as I'm quite aware that noone here can KNOW these things and the answer is certainly not vital for me, but as this thread here suggested that it was possible while the Seasons thread, in which you answered before, suggested otherwise I am just curious on what grounds either party based their assumptions.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 18th Aug 2012 at 2:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
Because the correct way to type it is *colon capital P*, :P

Thanks for that. I was literally just asking why my attempts at tongue-sticky-out smileys didn't work. :P

(Although, in text, colon-capital-P looks goofy rather than tongue-sticky-out. Lower-case looks more tongue-sticky-out. Seriously. Look at both in text and see, says me who studied typography.)

EDIT: And colon-capital-P didn't work either. Is my face red.

Take care. Have fun. Bring your own banjo.
One Minute Ninja'd
#40 Old 18th Aug 2012 at 4:44 AM
Ooops

There, that seemed to work.
dodgy builder
#41 Old 18th Aug 2012 at 6:08 PM
Anyway, I dont understand what the big deal is about swimmable lot water anyway. If you're gonna just build a lot over CAW water, it's probably a big section of CAW water, right? So just build the house a few inches from the shoreline. :-p (Why can I never get that emoticon to work!?)

I must admit I don't really understand the attitude. Making a lot with swimmable seawater on it fit for a sea World has lots of potential. Frankly if the possibility is there I'm sure as hell gonna use it !

where the limitations might be is gonna be very important to know.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 19th Aug 2012 at 4:49 AM
It seems to me why Sims won't be able to swim on lots is that lots are already coded for Sims swimming in pools. We don't know if EA tried to code it to work both ways and found it to difficult to do in the amount of time they had. Or the code guys were working on something else, or they knew it would be difficult so they didn't try.

Whatever, if you make a beach lot at the edge of the ocean, lake, pond, etc., it will be just like making them go swimming in a pool on the lot. That's probably EA's view of it too.
Test Subject
#43 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 4:30 AM
so, is there going to be a EP8 for the Sims 3? Seasons? (so cool...been waiting for this). Anyways, I have base game, world adventures and ambitions and so would like to know how to get sims to swim in the beach water/ocean. It is so frustrating to see all of the beautiful water in the lakes/oceans/ponds and the sims can not swim in it. I have read the above answers so, not to be redundant, is there a way for me to get my sims to swim in the beach water that is not a residential lot and can they do so in a community lot? Many, many thanks.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 6:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sannysims40
so, is there going to be a EP8 for the Sims 3? Seasons? (so cool...been waiting for this). Anyways, I have base game, world adventures and ambitions and so would like to know how to get sims to swim in the beach water/ocean. It is so frustrating to see all of the beautiful water in the lakes/oceans/ponds and the sims can not swim in it. I have read the above answers so, not to be redundant, is there a way for me to get my sims to swim in the beach water that is not a residential lot and can they do so in a community lot? Many, many thanks.

Once Seasons is released, a free patch will be released as well which will allow everyone to have swimmable oceans, lakes, and rivers in their games regardless of whether they buy the expansion pack or not.

Swimming anywhere other than in pools is not possible before then though.

Hope that helps.
Test Subject
#45 Old 15th Sep 2012 at 12:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by freelancergal
Once Seasons is released, a free patch will be released as well which will allow everyone to have swimmable oceans, lakes, and rivers in their games regardless of whether they buy the expansion pack or not.

Swimming anywhere other than in pools is not possible before then though.

Hope that helps.
Thanks SO MUCH freelancergal! I am assuming that the game launcher will prompt that there is a game update and we can get the free patch when Seasons comes out....way cool. I am still gonna buy the seasons ep but of course I will wait for feedback from my fellow simmers. Thanks again freelancergal, many, many thanks.
Field Researcher
#46 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 4:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Don't think there are any in existing EA worlds, but at least one person has posted expressing the intention of adding such lots. We have World Edit as well as CAW remember

Some creators also turn existing beach lots into residential ones (usually for rich sims) with private beaches attached. Those should be kept in mind as well.
Page 2 of 2