Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 10:18 AM
MMnh Umbrella in summer? Never seen one, and i was in almost every coast of my country, in the lower part too were sun hit hard. The harm that sun can do it's only on sand because of sand's reflection all over, but walking in the streets? Naah.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 10:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Millions of people do it. It's common in many parts of the world... India, East and Southeast Asia, for instance. This pic is from Malaysia: http://starstorage.blob.core.window...02umbrellas.jpg

It used to be common in this part of the world too (parasols were in vogue in the Victorian era). It's just as practical (or more so) as putting on sunscreen and/or covering up in hot weather, which isn't considered odd here.

Why on earth would you give somebody a dirty look for THAT, of all things? :O

In the game, though, I don't think it has anything to do with political correctness; just something Sims can do to avert negative gameplay consequences of heat.

I live in Australia and it's not uncommon for people to use an umbrella instead of a sunhat. It covers more, isn't hot sitting on your head and you don't get hat hair. I suppose in-game and umbrella is easier for a sim to use than a sun hat as hairstyles might get in the way of a hat, especially if the hair has a hat! lol.

Sci-fi meets 19th century boarding school story-- Future's Present-- A Sims 3 Story

A random legacy with a rainbowcy theme set in a post apocalyptic world-- Recolour

I now have a blogger-- Kathleen's Sim Stories-- for both my stories for those that prefer to follow and comment there
Forum Resident
#28 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 11:01 AM
I believe they are called parasols, not umbrellas
Scholar
#29 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 1:02 PM
My sims STILL want to play in the sprinkler and the pool late in fall when its hovering 30 degrees. GAH!!
Instructor
#30 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 2:10 PM
I loaded up my game yesterday for a brief moment before going to work, the summer festival is boring. I also tried roller skating and the skates took a minute to load on her feet, and there was someone else skating, but they were invisible, I only saw the skates. When the skates went off the track, it was one of the NPC adults squished down to a kid body. Their clothes and features were all squished and deformed.
When I got home from work I made a new summer lot- complete with gazebo (I really would like to figure out how to make it where a band plays during the festival).
Minor annoyances I found aside the skating rink invisibility.
The pets were kinda bugging out- one cat won't sleep at all, and they do the classic "TS2 bed jump" when they try to lay down in pet bed. Objects they could interact with are now being blocked by near by objects.
Rain has made my sims stupid- they stood around in the kitchen for hours complaining of hunger and refusing to eat when I click for them to eat. The que would just drop off.
Vampires should NOT be festival vendor people, the guy kept leaving and driving around the block and then coming back to the concession stand because of the sun. I felt really bad for him.

I don't have any outdated mods, and only a few mods to begin with. The only mods I use are- petslessexcerciseandsocial, towniesoutonthetown, overwatch, autonomous gardening, faster gardening, toysincrate, nodyingofstarvationoldageminorpets.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 2:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by acid_fairy

Well... some are, some aren't. It depends if they are sun umbrellas or parasols which, at least in the suburbs around me, are two different things. (Says the girl with no sun umbrella but a parasol)

My main minor anoyance with seasons is that I clicked my fingers and there is no seasons with no bugs or CC issues installed on my computer. Anyone know the fix for this? lol

On a happier note I saw it was only being sold for $49 which is less than I expected so I may buy it rather than waiting for it for birthday/Christmas after all. :D

Sci-fi meets 19th century boarding school story-- Future's Present-- A Sims 3 Story

A random legacy with a rainbowcy theme set in a post apocalyptic world-- Recolour

I now have a blogger-- Kathleen's Sim Stories-- for both my stories for those that prefer to follow and comment there
Instructor
#32 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 4:43 PM
According to Wikipedia, the main difference from a parasol to an umbrella is that many parasols are not waterproof. Other than that, it comes down to their use; parasols are typically for shielding you from the sun, whereas umbrellas are for shielding you from the rain. As there's one object for both functions in the games, I think either is an acceptable term--you could use different words depending on the context, but just saying "umbrella" seems fine.

I promise I'm not as grumpy as my avatar looks.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 5:03 PM
Actually, I didn't spend to much time looking at the umbrella/parasol stuff, but I think the game did make a distinction between the two uses with the 2 umbrellas I saw. I believe one said sunproof or something like that and the other said waterproof. I think it calls both umbrellas though. I'll check when I load up the game again
Mad Poster
#34 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 5:17 PM
Well. When my game arrives, I'm getting my self sim a parasol, simply because I've always wanted one.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Field Researcher
#35 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 5:36 PM
Okay I will not talk about umbrellas.

My minor annoyance is how my self sim's fiancé keeps getting phone calls asking if he'd want to go out on a date, because they have 'something in common.' Married people or people about to get married shouldn't be getting these phone calls...and he gets a lot of them.

Also, people shouldn't die from those eating contests. It doesn't make any sense.

If you want to download my Sims 3 pets, click here and then go to my Studio. To see images of all my pets, click here.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 5:41 PM
Lol are you serious? One of your sims died in an eating contest? That's hilarious!
Mad Poster
#37 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 6:07 PM
Yes, there have been several eating contest deaths mentioned on the official forums. Somehow they starve to death.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Top Secret Researcher
#38 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 6:08 PM
Did dying via eating contest appear to be a glitch or mod conflict, or does it appear to actually be an intentional feature? Just curious as to whether the sims wiki's page for types of death unexpectedly needs updating again- I contribute to that from time to time. Sounds glitchy, but it's so out there and unexpected that I don't know what to make of it.
Field Researcher
#39 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 6:13 PM Last edited by Freelance Wolf : 14th Nov 2012 at 6:34 PM.
Luckily my sim (the fiancé) didn't die from the hot dog eating contest although he got kinda sick after. Victoria Inkbeard died though while my sims were skating at the rink.

Apparently they 'starve to death' while eating so I'm guessing it's a glitch. How can you starve while eating? I suppose I shouldn't let any of my sims participate from now on, but I hope one of the other Sims I made doesn't die when they're NPCs.

If you want to download my Sims 3 pets, click here and then go to my Studio. To see images of all my pets, click here.
Mad Poster
#40 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 6:23 PM
It happened in my niece's game too, she only has overwatch. She keeps death flowers in all her sim's inventory because she is always doing something that causes a sim's death. LOL!

EDIT: I am hypersensitive to the sun, being out in it for long periods of time will cause me to break out in hives, sometimes I get horrible blisters. Sometimes I use a sun hat, other times I did use an umbrella. Because the umbrella will clash with what I am wearing (formal wear) then I purchased a nice rice paper parasol. Some look at me strange because I live in Chicago and why would I block having the sun down on me? Not their business, as long I am in the back of the crowd, I am not blocking anyone. I am not suffering to make myself look normal.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Test Subject
#41 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 6:34 PM
Aliens are way to common.... in one sim week my three active sims have been abducted four times total.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 6:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by acid_fairy

Hey, that makes sense... "para sol", = "for sun".
Mad Poster
#43 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 8:23 PM
I had a problem where LTW's weren't showing up at all (making it impossible to create sims in CAS), so I removed my no automatic memories mod and it started to work again. Turns out that you can toggle memories in Options now.

And they say that EA doesn't listen to the modders.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Alchemist
#44 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi

Why on earth would you give somebody a dirty look for THAT, of all things? :O

Because picture this: It's a beautiful sunny day, you're strolling down the street and suddenly there's this girl approaching from the opposite way with this dumb-assed smile stuck on her face BENEATH AN UMBRELLA! Not a raindrop or cloud in the sky. My resulting scowl was pretty much involuntary.

As to whether they're parasols or umbrellas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeFdNDd-DTM
Instructor
#45 Old 15th Nov 2012 at 12:10 AM
Anyone know how to set your costume? I looked, but there is no tab or option, I just want to know how because they are changing to default NPC job costumes right now.
Mad Poster
#46 Old 15th Nov 2012 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by psivampyr
Anyone know how to set your costume? I looked, but there is no tab or option, I just want to know how because they are changing to default NPC job costumes right now.

Regrettably, they're in everyday.

My pet peeve is that for the life of me, I can't figure out when Snowflake Day is.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Test Subject
#47 Old 15th Nov 2012 at 12:36 AM
I'm sad flat roofs don't get lights. My sims live in a modern house with a flat roof. I love my house so I'm not moving, and a different roof would look horrible so I can't change it. Just sucks. I was really looking forward to them.
Instructor
#48 Old 15th Nov 2012 at 12:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DigitalSympathies
Regrettably, they're in everyday.

My pet peeve is that for the life of me, I can't figure out when Snowflake Day is.

Unless you've somehow disabled your pop-up notifications entirely, the morning of each holiday has a pop-up to tell you that it's Snowflake Day, Spooky Day, etc. and encourages you to go to the Festival.

With my seasons set to the default 7 days, my holidays land on the fifth day of each season.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 15th Nov 2012 at 12:50 AM
When my genie went roller skating she whizzed around the rink with NO rollerskates on! I hope its a glitch, other wise its no fair for genies!

Her smile was like a rainbow after a sudden storm...
Top Secret Researcher
#50 Old 15th Nov 2012 at 12:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by clearblueskies
When my genie went roller skating she whizzed around the rink with NO rollerskates on! I hope its a glitch, other wise its no fair for genies!

Sorry, that is an legitimate EA feature.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Page 2 of 17