Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#27 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wolfsbayne
I do speak for myself - my family are from the north so I do know the difference thanks! That was my point - that a fine dusting of snow in some areas can shut places down compared to places that frequently get inches and feet of snow and carry on as usual! But two years ago when we had that bad snow before xmas virtually every airport was shut, there wasn't enough grit to grit the roads in most of the country, cars were stranded on the motorways for hours, etc, etc yet most of the world were laughing at us.

I was still living there then, luckily in an area that managed to keep running (and luckily by the time I was flying out it had finished), and applying for a job here - my boss still sometimes remembers interviewing me over the internet when I was sitting wrapped up in lots of jumpers with deep snow out the window, while he was the other side of the world in warm summer. I don't think he's ever been up to the mountains in winter, so I don't think he's seen so much snow.

Here, the coldest July in years will manage a light dusting of snow in the outer suburbs, and it's big news - but it doesn't actually stop anything, which is good. No doubt if there was more it would, quickly, but for the moment it doesn't get enough to scare anyone!

It would be nice if sims did have hot weather days in the summer - we used to get the afternoon off if it reached 35 degrees by midday. I wonder if that's something that could be in a mod? I may investigate.
Advertisement
Theorist
#28 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 10:36 PM
I completely derailed this thread. LOL!
One Minute Ninja'd
#29 Old 20th Nov 2012 at 12:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TMBrandon
I completely derailed this thread. LOL!

And aren't you proud of yourself
Test Subject
#30 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 4:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by annoellyn
My sim's kids have a snow day like once a week. I find it weird since I live in Canada and have never had a snow day even if it's up to our waists, lol. We trudged through it in ski pants and boots.

My teenager sim hasn't gone to school the whole winter, which is so annoying! I live in Finland and our climate is apparently pretty much the same as Canada. I had never even heard of Snow Day before I started playing TS2 - Seasons.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Catju
My teenager sim hasn't gone to school the whole winter, which is so annoying! I live in Finland and our climate is apparently pretty much the same as Canada. I had never even heard of Snow Day before I started playing TS2 - Seasons.

Ya I live in Canada and we never got Snow Days no matter what. Snow would be falling and reach up above our knees and getting as low as -32 Celsius but the deranged school board refused to close down the schools.

Snow Days were merely dreams for me, but not for the Sims lol
Instructor
#32 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 7:11 PM
My current Sim doesn't have any kids so I haven't experienced this issue, but I think extending seasons beyond a week in the options menu will solve some of the perpetual snow issues. I've noticed that weather seems to happen in 4-5 day chunks, especially snow, so if you only use the default length for a season (7 days) your winter is going to be one big blizzard, which isn't very realistic unless you live in Antarctica.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 7:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hungryhippo
Ya I live in Canada and we never got Snow Days no matter what. Snow would be falling and reach up above our knees and getting as low as -32 Celsius but the deranged school board refused to close down the schools.

Snow Days were merely dreams for me, but not for the Sims lol

Not true. I did my gradschool at Waterloo, Ontario, and we DO get snow days! I still remember the fun of keep refreshing university main webpage every 5 minutes in the morning of heavy snow day, hoping that the red-bold message "campus closed due to weather condition" show up!

And we had one final exam cancelled because of snowstorm. Arrr, the agonizing sleepless night for preparing exam in last minute all for nothing!
Instructor
#34 Old 10th Dec 2012 at 8:02 AM
I lived in Alaska for a decade, and snow was a given. The first snow which stuck would fall around Halloween and remain until May. Of course, by May, snow has a nice brown color. I don't ever remember snow days, or getting off of work because of snow. Also, snow removal was never a high priority. Cars would just pack down the snow; all winter we were driving on packed snow and ice.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 10th Dec 2012 at 8:37 AM
People where I live would go into panic mode if we ever had snow, lol. One year the night-time low got down to 6C (42.8F) and people died... yes some of them were old but there were quite a few instances where people died trying to warm up using heaters that hadn't been used for 20 years or because they wrapped themselves in an electric blanket and sat on the couch. We just don't do cold. Well, we do, but cold is 15-20C (59-68F), not snow. Snow would be... bad!

That said, plenty of people don't know how to deal with heat! We sometimes have tourists die because they don't understand how dangerous a really hot day is.

So we never got snow days at school. We did, however, get days off for extreme temperatures. I think it had to be above 45C (113). We had a heatwave one summer and because our school was on a hill it was only 42-44C and we didn't get to stay home. The school had no airconditioning but the principal's office did, so that may have had something to do with it!

I don't have seasons yet but I hope there'll be a mod for snow days by the time I do get it because I don't want my kids failing because of them. But I still want snow days, they sound like fun. At least you could go our and play in the snow, right? Sounds more fun than suffering at home with an icepack infront of the fan!

Sci-fi meets 19th century boarding school story-- Future's Present-- A Sims 3 Story

A random legacy with a rainbowcy theme set in a post apocalyptic world-- Recolour

I now have a blogger-- Kathleen's Sim Stories-- for both my stories for those that prefer to follow and comment there
Scholar
#36 Old 10th Dec 2012 at 4:00 PM
6c is cold??? Where do you live? I'm packing my things and moving!! It's been below 10c here in england for weeks now, and thats higher than average temperature for this time of year. it's tried (but failed miserably) to snow today and yesterday, in summer, 20c is the height of summer! the highest ive ever seen it here was 32c, but as england gets so humid it was awful, but when i went to spain on me hols it got to 36c and felt a lot nicer than the 32c in england.

in england we tend to panic over a small amount of snow, or ice. the gritter trucks were out last night, even though the temperature last night didnt get much lower than 2c, so it was a waste of salt in my opinion... id love it if we had snow like alaska! although, i think i'd get sick of it, i can imagine people who live in deserts get excited when it rains, but as it rains almost all the time here, its just boring

Call me Gemma or Gem :)
Played since original 'The Sims'. Spend my life working, playing and lurking around here, posting way too much not enough.
The Only Way Is Up
simblr
Field Researcher
#37 Old 10th Dec 2012 at 7:20 PM Last edited by Jaguwar : 10th Dec 2012 at 7:32 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
I wonder if it is possible to lower the frequency/intensity of the snow fall rather than disable it permanently. I know rainfall can be changed (via a tweak) so maybe snowfall as well.

You can manually change the intensity of rain, snow, wind, even set the temperature with the same cheat mentioned above. I had that happen with my test family too, when I first got Seasons. In fact, I set it to snow heavily because I wanted to see what would happen. We ended up with three snow days in a row, then my teen sim got sick and skipped school, then mom got sick and called in sick, then more snow days... it would have been ridiculous if I hadn't made winter LONGER, or didn't know about changing the weather in real-time (more or less.... rain or snow will taper off, etc)

Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
The most fun us Northerners have in winter is watching videos of Southerners trying to drive in the rare snow storm they get. Having driven through, and lived to tell about, a fair number of blizzards (yes, the NY area does get some occasional blizzards), it's always fun to see the havoc that an inch of snow can cause.

LOL I hear that! I'm originally from Canada (where we had snow days maybe twice in the first 6 years, and that's mostly because the snow came in the middle of the night, was a LOT more than expected, and the plows couldn't do their job fast enough in that hilly town to get the school buses out in time).. Here in GA, even the smallest hint of "winter weather" sends peolpe scurrying for flashlights and bottled water.

Of course, the truth is we simply don't have the tools to deal with anything beyond a dusting of snow. Salt or sand? Virtually unheard of. Not to mention the heavy machinery with the traction to do the job. Worse, our electric grid is pretty vulnerable to limbs falling under branches that break when it gets too cold.

But we did get some real snow a few years ago, I'm talking snow that stayed on the ground for 5 days. That was fun. School was already out for the holidays, much to the kids' chagrin, but some government offices were also closed.

Of course, I live in another fairly hilly town.
Scholar
#38 Old 11th Dec 2012 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jaguwar
You can manually change the intensity of rain, snow, wind, even set the temperature with the same cheat mentioned above. I had that happen with my test family too, when I first got Seasons. In fact, I set it to snow heavily because I wanted to see what would happen. We ended up with three snow days in a row, then my teen sim got sick and skipped school, then mom got sick and called in sick, then more snow days... it would have been ridiculous if I hadn't made winter LONGER, or didn't know about changing the weather in real-time (more or less.... rain or snow will taper off, etc)

LOL I hear that! I'm originally from Canada (where we had snow days maybe twice in the first 6 years, and that's mostly because the snow came in the middle of the night, was a LOT more than expected, and the plows couldn't do their job fast enough in that hilly town to get the school buses out in time).. Here in GA, even the smallest hint of "winter weather" sends peolpe scurrying for flashlights and bottled water.

Of course, the truth is we simply don't have the tools to deal with anything beyond a dusting of snow. Salt or sand? Virtually unheard of. Not to mention the heavy machinery with the traction to do the job. Worse, our electric grid is pretty vulnerable to limbs falling under branches that break when it gets too cold.

But we did get some real snow a few years ago, I'm talking snow that stayed on the ground for 5 days. That was fun. School was already out for the holidays, much to the kids' chagrin, but some government offices were also closed.

Of course, I live in another fairly hilly town.

And of course the public transportation was down too. (NYer transplanted to Atlanta)

Damn. I discussed weather.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 11th Dec 2012 at 2:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gemly_teddie
6c is cold??? Where do you live? I'm packing my things and moving!! It's been below 10c here in england for weeks now, and thats higher than average temperature for this time of year. it's tried (but failed miserably) to snow today and yesterday, in summer, 20c is the height of summer! the highest ive ever seen it here was 32c, but as england gets so humid it was awful, but when i went to spain on me hols it got to 36c and felt a lot nicer than the 32c in england.

Brisbane, Australia It gets really humid here too (summer is our wet season, all going well) and I don't like the humidity. I went to Europe this year and got a 40C day in brussles and one in Budapest and even though they aren't set up for such heat over there it was much nicer than the 40C here we had the other day because it was a dry heat, so I hear you there. I left the house this morning and it was about 23C or so and I almost turned back for my cardigan... lol!

Sci-fi meets 19th century boarding school story-- Future's Present-- A Sims 3 Story

A random legacy with a rainbowcy theme set in a post apocalyptic world-- Recolour

I now have a blogger-- Kathleen's Sim Stories-- for both my stories for those that prefer to follow and comment there
Scholar
#40 Old 11th Dec 2012 at 3:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kathleen_Anne
...I left the house this morning and it was about 23C or so and I almost turned back for my cardigan... lol!

haha its not even got to 3c here today. I needed more than a cardigan! Also had very thick fog all day, didn't think the bus driver would be able to see me when I left work!

Wonder if theres a way to pick the temperature that sims put on outerwear, and the temperatures it gets to in certain seasons? Obviously your weather is very different to mine, and we think of different things as cold, would be nice to be able to do that in-game...

Played since original 'The Sims'. Spend my life working, playing and lurking around here, posting way too much not enough.
The Only Way Is Up
simblr
Instructor
#41 Old 11th Dec 2012 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gemly_teddie
6c is cold??? Where do you live? I'm packing my things and moving!! It's been below 10c here in england for weeks now, and thats higher than average temperature for this time of year.

That sounds downright tropical. When I lived in Faibanks we would have a month of 40 below. (By the way -40 f is the same as -40 c). But then we might get a break, and get a balmy -20 for a while.
Scholar
#42 Old 11th Dec 2012 at 9:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by High Plains Gamer
That sounds downright tropical. When I lived in Faibanks we would have a month of 40 below. (By the way -40 f is the same as -40 c). But then we might get a break, and get a balmy -20 for a while.

Oh. My. God...

Soooo not jealous of you! Haha, England never has extremes of anything, except rain, and then some more rain, a few floods and some more rain... But of course, water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink, as we have hosepipe bans constantly I wouldn't mind if we ever had dry weather, but it rains so much you have to wonder how we havent worked out how to collect it yet...

The Only Way Is Up
simblr
Test Subject
#43 Old 12th Dec 2012 at 3:30 AM
I'm in Alberta, Canada. Got lots of snow. I like it here, no hurricanes, no tornados, no earthquakes no floods.....
But getting back to the Sims Snow Day. I get a few snow days in a row, but even weirder is that the bus still picks up the kids and takes them to school even though it was declared a Snow Day. I actually checked the school and found the kids ( children and teens) could not get inside the school, so they were building igloos and snowmen and angels outside. The bus brings them back home too. ???
Alchemist
#44 Old 12th Dec 2012 at 3:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SweetHart
I'm in Alberta, Canada. Got lots of snow.

Lucky. Nova Scotia was 15 degrees yesterday. In December. We've had days that are freezing, then the next day, mild as the spring. It's messed up.
Scholar
#45 Old 12th Dec 2012 at 6:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by coltraz
Lucky. Nova Scotia was 15 degrees yesterday. In December. We've had days that are freezing, then the next day, mild as the spring. It's messed up.

15 degrees Celsius is warm for you guys in the winter? And you consider that "messed up" weather? Try coming to Oklahoma. I have literally seen it go from 28 degrees Celsius (82 degrees Fahrenheit) to snow on the ground overnight.

And I've seen it go from -34 degrees Celsius to 28 degrees Celsius in less than one week, too. (In Fahrenheit, it's more dramatic from -29 to 82. Lol)

I'd love to live somewhere where 15 degrees Celsius was considered Spring weather. It might actually be nice there. Here it gets hot way too fast, and last year we didn't even have a winter.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Alchemist
#46 Old 12th Dec 2012 at 7:57 AM
Heh, yeah, it doesn't tend to get much hotter than the high 20's here even in the middle of summer, so 15 in DECEMBER is messed up and way too warm. It should be in the minuses or LOW pluses every day. But winters have been becoming less and less snowy and less and less cold in the last few years. I'm only 25, and I remember as a kid the winter was COLD and snowy. Every Christmas was white. Now it's relatively mild and rainy all winter and snow is almost a rare sight. Apart from last year where we actually, shockingly had some snow hang around on December 25th, I can't even remember a specific time before that I saw a white Christmas. Just, one year there wasn't any snow, and there wasn't any ever again. Until last year, like I said! Hopefully this year we'll have some again but it's not looking good with 15 degree weather...
Scholar
#47 Old 12th Dec 2012 at 11:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SweetHart
I'm in Alberta, Canada. Got lots of snow. I like it here, no hurricanes, no tornados, no earthquakes no floods.....
But getting back to the Sims Snow Day. I get a few snow days in a row, but even weirder is that the bus still picks up the kids and takes them to school even though it was declared a Snow Day. I actually checked the school and found the kids ( children and teens) could not get inside the school, so they were building igloos and snowmen and angels outside. The bus brings them back home too. ???

Hmm...Surely if the bus can pick all the kids up and drop them off at school then the school should open? Clearly the teachers are just lazy! Saw the ground was white and decided to stay home haha, well at least the kids get to play with each other!

No tornados or hurricanes in England, well, not the way the rest of the world sees them. Apparently we have more tornados here than the rest of the world, but they're so small we dont notice them. A few years ago there was one that knocked a chimney pot off a roof and a couple of roof tiles, and it made headlines lol!

We have floods several times a year, infact, a couple of weeks ago 4 major car parks flooded in my small town and loads of cars were written off because of it, loads of roads closed off because the tiny streams underneath had burst and become major rivers. Thats why I wish there could be floods in game, it's a normal part of life for a lot of us, and they wouldnt have to be major!

The Only Way Is Up
simblr
Field Researcher
#48 Old 12th Dec 2012 at 5:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coltraz
Heh, yeah, it doesn't tend to get much hotter than the high 20's here even in the middle of summer, so 15 in DECEMBER is messed up and way too warm. It should be in the minuses or LOW pluses every day. But winters have been becoming less and less snowy and less and less cold in the last few years. I'm only 25, and I remember as a kid the winter was COLD and snowy. Every Christmas was white. Now it's relatively mild and rainy all winter and snow is almost a rare sight. Apart from last year where we actually, shockingly had some snow hang around on December 25th, I can't even remember a specific time before that I saw a white Christmas. Just, one year there wasn't any snow, and there wasn't any ever again. Until last year, like I said! Hopefully this year we'll have some again but it's not looking good with 15 degree weather...

I'm in Florida, so never got snow (best we got was a little bit of slush a couple years ago that I believe was snow originally but melted before even coming close to the ground) but even I remember it being very cold in winter when I was a kid. It'd get below freezing a few times every year. Last winter there was only maybe 3 days that I actually considered cold (near freezing but not quite there). This year is looking a little better but not by much. Lately it's been getting to about 11C (52F) at night but 28C (82F) during the day. Tomorrow it'll be a high of 21C (70F) but then it's going back up to 28/82 the next day .-. It feels more like we're entering fall finally rather than entering winter.
Test Subject
#49 Old 13th Dec 2012 at 1:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Catju

In northern Alberta where snow every winter, October to May, is the norm, no snow days, but when I was a kid, the schools were closed down if the temperature dropped to -40.

I don't remember a single -40 day when my kids were growing up. Global warming I guess.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 31st Dec 2012 at 1:45 AM
Has anyone tried to see if sims in the education profession also get the day(s) off?
Page 2 of 3