Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Textiles Career

by Kittylynn74 Posted 15th Jan 2013 at 9:56 PM

24 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 1 Feedback Posts, 22 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Instructor
THANKS POST
#2 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 10:27 AM
How awesome! I always wonder what career to send my tailors into, and now I have one that fits perfectly. Excellent!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 12:41 PM
Glad to fill the gap!

I have followed in the family footsteps and am myself a seamstress, so this is now my SimSelf career. Im the 5th generation that has followed the seamstress trade... I didn't have to apprentice though, just had sewing lessons since I was 6 years old.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#4 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 2:03 PM
This is so awesome! Such a loving way to honor your grandmother. Thank you for sharing with us. I can't wait to add this to my game.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#5 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 7:32 PM
This is wonderful, Kittylynn! Thankyou so much. And thanks for sharing with us the story of your great-great-grandmother. I wish more of the custom careers came with personal back-stories like this.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#6 Old 17th Jan 2013 at 7:20 PM
I live in Massachusetts, about an hour's drive away from Lowell, Mass, where some of the first textile mills were in the US. (Maybe your great-great-grandmother worked in one of them). There is a large open-air museum about the early textile industry - several buildings, a boat ride on canals, trolley cars, etc. If you ever visit...

My ex was big into textiles and weaving and your career certainly looks authentic. I've installed it and, always a moment of concern, checked to see if any existing careers were overlaid.

P.S. They weren't, so all is OK to go. Thank you! Your great-great-grandmother would be honored!
Instructor
THANKS POST
#7 Old 19th Jan 2013 at 10:35 PM
One word. AWSOME!
I'm rooting for you in the contest!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#8 Old 21st Jan 2013 at 3:03 AM
This is so awesome as I was in textiles all my life. As a tender and to mechanic and supervisor. This is as I said before.......awesome. Thanks hun
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#9 Old 26th Jan 2013 at 4:45 PM
This looks really interesting - it may just inspire me to start a period neighborhood, although I'd need to research how to eliminate or replace the uniforms of the upper levels. Good work and thanks!!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th Jan 2013 at 5:48 PM
Thanks for all your great comments! @mac - After all I have read and seen in my great great grandmothers journals, seeing those museums would be awesome. I might have to try to get there someday. I know grandma was in New York for a while... Im not sure where she was before that.
@wwgoose - I wanted to create custom-period uniforms, but I didn't know how and I thought the career would be better CC free. I might still try some uniforms someday or find someone who knows how to help me. If you want to remove the uniforms completely from your own game you would have to edit the package with SimPE and use Bidou's Career Editor...just don't re upload it or anything.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#11 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 7:22 PM
Thanks for this career :3 I love textiles. My grandmother and my grandfather were tailor.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#12 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 2:13 AM
Oh wow. Never expected to find something so real in here. Thanks, I'm going to enjoy this, and thanks to Grandma Kittylynn!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 26th Feb 2013 at 7:16 PM
This is so awesome! I like realistic careers and this is probably the best one! Thank you for such an awesome upload!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#14 Old 28th Feb 2013 at 1:43 PM
This is quite possibly the coolest career I have ever laid eyes on.
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#15 Old 28th Mar 2013 at 2:30 AM
What a wonderful way to honor her memory! I love "real" careers.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#16 Old 28th Feb 2014 at 9:20 PM
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#17 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 1:50 PM
What a wonderful piece of history about your ancestor (and millions others like her throughout history and nowaday life! In honour of her, and all of these people around the world, I'm taking this career, Kittylynn, because where would we all be without people who do this line of work?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#18 Old 25th Mar 2014 at 4:30 AM
this is great! i just happen to create a sim that likes sewing and i was wondering if there was a career that fits. thanks for sharing your history as well
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#19 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 11:42 PM
It is so cool that you found those journals, and used your great-great-grandmother's experience to base this career on. Thank you for sharing!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#20 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 9:54 PM
this is a well-needed bit of variety to a sometimes drab career selection.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#21 Old 25th Dec 2014 at 1:42 PM
Fascinating detail, Kittylynn, and what a nice way to honor your Great Great Grandmother. I am sure she is working with you in spirit and quite happy as she sees what you are doing with her history. Very touching :-) It will be an honor to play this career.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#22 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 10:35 PM
What a legacy. Thanks so much for sharing them with us! I can't wait to try this in game.
Inventor
THANKS POST
#23 Old 20th Jan 2015 at 1:45 PM
Great idea and a lovely tribute! - There are still "haberdashers" where I live, but not many and most (but not all) of them elderly.
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#24 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 8:03 PM
It was very interesting to read the story behind this career. Thanks for sharing with us!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#25 Old 10th Feb 2020 at 10:43 AM
This is beautifully written and researched! What a great career! I'm going to use it in my historical hood.