Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#26 Old 17th Mar 2013 at 8:24 PM
It looks lovely but I don't know what tumulus is so I can't really answer your question. Is that the mound in the center of the picture? If so, I like it. Great job!
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#27 Old 17th Mar 2013 at 8:35 PM
A tumulus is what I get when I look up "Gravhøj", otherwise I didn't know. But yes, it's the mound in the center. A "gravhøj" is a mound with an old grave in it. There's tons of them around here, so i wanted to include one

My Tumblr!
Test Subject
#28 Old 17th Mar 2013 at 8:46 PM
It might look cooler with the Simhenge ruins on it, like the Forgotten Burial Mound in Champs les Sims.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 18th Mar 2013 at 1:57 AM
Quote:
A "gravhøj" is a mound with an old grave in it.

I think in English you'd call that a burial mound. There are a lot of different words for that, but I think "burial mound" is a pretty universally understood phrase.

Anyway, I like it.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 19th Mar 2013 at 7:04 AM
Such a beautiful world! Can't wait to see it finished.

Quick question though- are there going to be any docks on the island?

The tumulus looks great, but I would suggest maybe a few more standing stones around the site, to give it more of a man- made feeling.

The town is also really good, but a few more fences and street props might give it more of a lived-in feeling. In particular, I would suggest some nice fencing around the church and its graveyard, as well as the corner cafe. Some more street trees would also be quite nice, and I would also suggest spacing out the old-fashioned street lights a bit more (to allow for some darker areas).

Really great though, and I can't wait to see how it surpasses Aurora Skies!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#31 Old 19th Mar 2013 at 4:14 PM
I'll work some more on the mound/tumulus!

jje: I have a place in mind for a dock, but I'm saving it for when IP comes out. I'll probably also add some explore-able areas to the little islands. I'll try and fiddle with the props and fences around town. Don't know if I'll add many in the inner town, but I'm defiantly making a ton of them on my "grassy" town lots. The church actually have a fence around it behind the shrubbery, but the new stonewall from university looks like it'll fit nicely in front. I'll experiment!

Thanks for all the great feedback

My Tumblr!
Test Subject
#32 Old 23rd Mar 2013 at 8:00 PM
Just wanted to say that I am so excited for your world.

I check back with this thread daily now!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#33 Old 24th Mar 2013 at 4:21 PM
Thanks fearnify! It means a lot!

I've been too lazy to take pictures lately, but that dosn't mean I havn't been working!

Update on tumulus:

used this as my reference. Better?
Updated the church too, I like it much better now! Thanks for the tip

Finished street! (except for furnishings.. shhh). Added two patricervillas. I always wanted to live in one as a kid!

And last but not least, a manor house on the top of the hill, at some point I'm probably gonna add an avenue leading up to it at some point:
(Ignore the gap between the road and the lot, Ill get to that)

I've also been learning how to alter the weather files, but doing so made me doubt how I want it to look. Dark water? light water? i don't knooow. What do you think?

Edit:
Another little house:

My Tumblr!
Test Subject
#34 Old 24th Mar 2013 at 5:59 PM
You have made my day!

Thank you so much Vibse.

Everything looks amazing. I love the look of the manor house.
Alchemist
#35 Old 24th Mar 2013 at 6:32 PM
Dark water; muddy, brownish should do it. The Østersøen and North sea both have this tone and connect.

I come in peace
#36 Old 24th Mar 2013 at 7:18 PM
It's so... Danish :lovestruc :lovestruc

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 25th Mar 2013 at 2:23 AM
This is the cutest town! Can't wait for it!

King of the Lab! Hodgens has nothing over me!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#38 Old 25th Mar 2013 at 8:48 PM
The fruit of today's work (I'm on vacation, ok :p):

Lighthouse (residential lot):

Dive bar (left) and disco(right):

And about the weather files: I don't know if I'd call østersøen's/the north sea's water brown, but I guess I'll think on it some more, and keep my eyes open whenever i pass by the sea

My Tumblr!
Test Subject
#39 Old 25th Mar 2013 at 9:15 PM
Definitely keep it on the lot.

I know myself, that I love taking the shell of a building that someone has created, and completely renovating it through out, though this is my personal opinion.
Alchemist
#40 Old 25th Mar 2013 at 10:53 PM
Okay, water color depends on what kind of weather it is, I forgot about that
Usually it a kind of dark blue, and with stormy weather more of a dark turquoise, maybe you could do that

I come in peace
#41 Old 2nd Apr 2013 at 1:01 PM
Vibse come back!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#42 Old 3rd Apr 2013 at 9:00 PM
I am still here, no worries! I've been on a trip over Easter, so I haven't been able to work on EneKaer, but I'm home again now

Haven't done a ton. But I started out on a new street, inspired by some i found on Google Street view. There's going to be five houses, if i remember correctly. For now I have two half-finished ones :p

And, I've also updated the landscape a bit:

I've decided to keep the lighthouse-light on lot, and I'm still pondering the INI. I want to keep my world cheery though, so i'd need an INI to reflect that. Currently using this on the world, with uni-water, and I quite like it, so maybe something like that.

And as I wrote this I exited to main menu without saving, and lost the decorating on the black house... I'm an idiot. Oh, well.

My Tumblr!
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 3rd Apr 2013 at 11:06 PM
Ok, after lurking here for some time now, I've finally decided to speak up. I'm not good at giving advice on sculpting, terrain painting because I personally suck at it so I can only tell you how much I love what I've seen so far. I love the colours, I love all these small details and I LOVE the beach and the whole shoreline generally. So yeah, I'm waiting (im)patiently for some download link that I really hope you'll soon provide us with. :P
Test Subject
#44 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 10:55 AM
Hi Vibse,

I've been thinking about it for a while and *maybe* the tumulus can be painted a slightly more brown? Like with a ridiculous transparency level.
One thing I love is the decoration of the landscape, in particular the statue is an amazing idea.

Good work! Can't wait to see more!
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 1:25 PM
My absolute favorite build so far is the little house you added in your edit to the 24th March update. The textures on the wallpaper are perfect! I absolutely adore it!

I am less enamored of the manor house. With the architecture and the terracotta color, it looks a lot like a Spanish Mission from the American Southwest... I would personally recommend a different wall color.

I also really like the little circle of stones you built into the landscape. I know some people have called for you to place simhenge, and I'm glad you haven't

I'm excited for the continuing development of this world!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#46 Old 5th Apr 2013 at 10:33 PM
Shante: Thank you! I'll provide download as soon as I'm done, or in worst the worst case, the world file if I give up on finishing it (knock, knock, knock)
Kchaos:Thank you! I painted the tumulus like you suggested! no pics right now though, as CAW is acting up.
Lulume: I based the manor on this, Astrup. A place i fell in love with while finding references for the lot. I don't know if the building looks Spanish-missiony in itself, or if its just my version? The terracotta was probably the result of me trying to desaturate the red. I've tried something less orange, I don't know if it's better?:

I worked on the street from before some more:

I wanted it to be a cosy family-type area, so all the houses have space for at least two kids, even though some are pretty small :p

I also built a bit in the beach area today, it's not much though. I just wanted to hear oppinions before I continue, I guess, I've never done much modern, and I've never considered me to be much of a builder :p. This building is supposed to be a combination gym/stadium/spa, and the area in general a newly built, touristy kind of place.
The area in front is the festival lot in the "under construction" phase.

My Tumblr!
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 3:42 AM
I like the inspiration for the manor. I think if it's based on a real Danish building, then I'd just try to recreate it as faithfully as possible. To that end - are you using a "flat" wall, or a brick? I think a brick might be best and will help it look less like adobe. The foundation in the inspiration house also has large blocks, and I think there is a pattern that should match it fairly well. I'd also like to see how it would look with the little rail tie fence on the tops of the stepped peaks of the walls (I don't know what those are called - but it looks like you have that fence in a couple places...)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#48 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 10:43 AM
I tried changing it like you suggested:

The walls now have a brick pattern, and I like the look of it. The problem with it is that it's very reflective, and the tall fence I'm using in the gable is very matte, which results in an odd colour difference. I guess i could fiddle with making a more matte version of the pattern, but that'd increase the CC count a little.
Im not sure that this is going to make sense, but the stepped gables are made of a half wall, a tall fence, a regular wall, and so on. So I'm only able to change the top of the "regular wall". But I've never seen stepped gables with a top like that, so I don't know :o

My Tumblr!
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 11:24 AM
I really like the look of the house and I wouldn't change those stepped gables. What I would add, though, is some tree or bush or any plant somewhere in the middle of that asphaltic area in front of the house. :>
dodgy builder
#50 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 12:07 PM
I can see the danishness in this world. Love your cute little houses. I've been to Denmark several times. I was wondering on that Manor house, I agree a bit with lulume on the first attempt, the last attempt is perhaps too red. I would say you need something in between. Perhaps the bricks on the last one is a bit too modern? ... or it may just look like it. On the first attempt the texture was my main concern, now you have the texture with the bricks.

Another thing about the burial site, the stones on the top of that round mound gives me some associations, but that may have been the intentions of the first builders lol. I was just wondering if it could be a bit more asymmetrical? They won't be that perfectly round in reality or what?
Page 2 of 5