Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#26 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 12:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KittyCarey
If Sims 4 is online-only, an absolutely enormous red flag will be waving wildly all over the place and I will not be going anywhere near it.

Between this and the Diablo 3 mess, they would be insane to make the game online-only. For the sake of their precious DRM, I can live with having an online check to launch the game, but after that I want the ability to play offline and save my data to my own machine.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 1:45 AM Last edited by simzfreek89 : 8th Mar 2013 at 2:12 AM.
lol so I was watching the newest Nostalgia Critic, and at one point there was a part that was hilariously fitting for the SimCity situation. I know there was a gif with Gandalf pretending to go "YOU SHALL NOT PLAY!" going around, but in this parody bit, they actually said that phrase, and it seemed perfect.

I wish it wasn't hard to tell with that fake beard in the way, but watch the last few minutes of the newest Nostalgia Critic if you need proof.

EDIT: I just tried putting the gif onto the EA forums, and I got this:

^ YOU MEAN I CAN'T EVEN USE YOUR FORUMS PROPERLY, EA? I don't even have the damn game!

My machinima music series "Had I Known" *four years in the making* will be well underway......as soon as I get a computer that will run TS3 properly! •sigh• But it'll be soon! :)
Instructor
#28 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 1:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99
Thank you for the list. I had never heard of the Anno series until the other day and I will definitely have to check it out. I've played and loved many of the games on those lists and more that came before them. What can I say...I'm greedy...I want more options.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Coming soon, from the makers of Ceasar III and Children of the Nile*, Medieval Mayor.

*Okay, Tilted Mill did Simcity Societies too, but let's not hold that against them. This is more in their traditional city walker mechanic.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 2:17 AM
And the award for Worst Company of America goes to....... ELECTRONIC ARTS! *applause*
This is Electronic Arts SECOND win, previously taking the title in 2012! Congratulations EA!
Scholar
#30 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 2:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Spiritbw
Ask and ye shall receive.

Coming soon, from the makers of Ceasar III and Children of the Nile*, Medieval Mayor.

*Okay, Tilted Mill did Simcity Societies too, but let's not hold that against them. This is more in their traditional city walker mechanic.

I am not-so-patiently waiting for that one. I loved the old ancient city-builders that the team was involved with; those were some awesome games and I still play most of them, periodically. I'm a fan of Societies too (as it plays now with patches and Destinations). I wasn't expecting a SC4 clone so I wasn't disappointed.
Instructor
#31 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 2:48 AM Last edited by Spiritbw : 8th Mar 2013 at 3:19 AM.
I find it okay once I understood how it worked properly. However the number of folks with a axe to grind vs Societies means I tell folks not to hold it against the company when it comes to other games on reflex these days.

EDIT: Other news. Polygon, a company that reduced thier score of the game form 9.5 out of 10 to 8 after the server issues came up has done thier second revision. The score is now 4/10

http://www.polygon.com/game/simcity-2013/2630

Also Gamespot has posted thier review, score: 5/10

http://www.gamespot.com/simcity/rev...review-6405012/
Field Researcher
#32 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 3:33 AM
Me at the reviews and this post:

Mad Poster
#33 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 3:41 AM
Lol Simcity Memes
Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 4:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by catnipeverdeen
Me at the reviews and this post:

Me at the reviews and that post:

Mad Poster
#35 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 4:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MinghamSmith
Me at the reviews and that post:

Mad Poster
#36 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 4:31 AM
Mad Poster
#37 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 4:50 AM
After the witnessing hilarious shitstorm that's started up since SimCity's release, I've come to appreciate the Sims 3 A LOT more and I'm dreading the Sims 4 because I know EA wont learn from their mistakes. They'll probably force us to play that one online too -____-
Instructor
#38 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 4:51 AM
If you think those reviews are bad take a look at this one. He started out all positive, then it get's worse and worse and he still hasn't given it a score. He just flat out says, "stay away."

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/03/...iew-in-progress
Mad Poster
#39 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 4:54 AM
my curiosity has gotten the best of me. i have to download this and see.
Mad Poster
#40 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 4:56 AM
thank god ts3 wasn't an online game. damn..
Instructor
#41 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 5:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9iolLV3wgM

Gamespot video review. All the things BEYOND the server issues are mentioned too. Lot a bugs....
Mad Poster
#42 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 5:08 AM Last edited by HarVee : 8th Mar 2013 at 5:44 AM.
So SC2013 is a flop? Don't feel bad; here have some realistic steak.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
#43 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 5:26 AM
I like this one minute review of the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FsrzqJNQF8
Mad Poster
#44 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 5:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by christmas fear
thank god ts3 wasn't an online game. damn..

It almost happened, actually lol

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#45 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 5:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
It almost happened, actually lol

i believe you 100% haha
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 10:54 AM
It actually sounds fun, if it weren't for the social aspects (*shudders*) and bugs *shudders more*
Inventor
Original Poster
#47 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 1:13 PM
Review by Biowarez on Metacritic (italics mine):
Quote:
It's error 34 all over again! and EA killed the modding community for this POS (you know how modders keep SC 4 a game that fun to play even until today!!) So we should expect this game to died out probably up to two years from now.. Let's just wait for some competitor to publish city simulator games without greed in mind

He makes a point I should have realized a long time ago. Getting rid of modders has been an obvious Eaxis priority ever since TS3 and their store was launched. With TS4 it even makes perfect sense: you can't have an online game in which two thirds of players are using Eaxis story progression and the rest Twallan's or even, gods forbid, AM. So the modders will be out and I will be out with them. I could survive (or rather, evade) launching problems, I could swallow further inevitable dumbing down of the game, but a Sims game without mods is just not worth enduring.
Test Subject
#48 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 3:10 PM
This is scary and accurate. Let's hope this franchise doesn't head that way. The Sims 3 is two things: it is incredibly ambitious, but also tragically lazy. Which makes for an experience that oscillates between utter enjoyment and total frustration.....

Which is sort of realistic for a life simulator, I guess? :P
Mad Poster
#49 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 3:21 PM
It's not the right kind of frustration lol

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Alchemist
#50 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 3:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99
Between this and the Diablo 3 mess, they would be insane to make the game online-only. For the sake of their precious DRM, I can live with having an online check to launch the game, but after that I want the ability to play offline and save my data to my own machine.

May as well get used to it

Online play touches a deeper nerve, too: the paranoia among PC gamers that single-player games – like the legendary SimCity 2000 – are slowly being phased out. Frank Gibreau, the president of Electronic Arts, once boasted that he was leading the push to eliminate single-player gaming. "I have not green lit one game to be developed as a single-player experience. Today, all of our games include online applications and digital services that make them live 24/7/365."

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/ar...yer-blues/4860/
Page 2 of 17