Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Non Default - Complete Skill Books Revised

by mikey Posted 4th Apr 2013 at 4:14 AM - Updated 24th Jun 2014 at 4:56 AM by mikey

134 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 61 Feedback Posts, 72 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 6
Interstellar Traveler
THANKS POST
#2 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 4:57 AM
This is awesome! Thank you!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 5:37 AM
As stated in the overview, this will not conflict with a mod that changes the skills.xml (aka faster skills mod)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#4 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 10:36 AM
whoa, that broke my game xD in a good way
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#5 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 11:33 AM
Thanks
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#6 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 12:16 PM
'Toddler Skills: Learn To Talk (1), Learn To Walk (1), Potty Training (1), Xylophone (3), Peg Box (3)'

One of the main reasons I kept my sims childless, now gone! And adults using the potty? Priceless! :D
Field Researcher
#7 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 12:20 PM
Is there any way to make these default or at the very least hide the original books in the bookstore?
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#8 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 12:41 PM
Thank you
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 6:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TashaFaun
Is there any way to make these default or at the very least hide the original books in the bookstore?
Actually, yes, there is. Simply removing the default books listed in the books.xml will keep them from showing up, leaving only the Complete Skill Books.

When I first came up with this, they were intended to be in addition to the default. So that the user could use the default books as normal, but still have access to the Complete Skill Books, as needed.

Looking at the old upload, the default and instant speeds were the most popular. I suppose I could add those two versions as a default set, if there was enough interest in it.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 10:11 PM
I'm interested in a default set for sure!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#11 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 11:36 PM
*fingers crossed that enough people want default*
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#12 Old 5th Apr 2013 at 12:25 AM
I've been waiting for this update - thank you so much - love the complete skill books and hated playing without them. I also would be interested in a default mod. I use the 2X version.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 5th Apr 2013 at 12:52 AM
Default replacement would be good. There's no reason to use the default books with this installed, so the defaults just clutter up newly purchased book cases. But how would you decide what skill points per page to use, and would the user be able to set the skillpoints per page somehow?
Instructor
#14 Old 5th Apr 2013 at 1:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by werismyki
Actually, yes, there is. Simply removing the default books listed in the books.xml will keep them from showing up, leaving only the Complete Skill Books.

When I first came up with this, they were intended to be in addition to the default. So that the user could use the default books as normal, but still have access to the Complete Skill Books, as needed.

Looking at the old upload, the default and instant speeds were the most popular. I suppose I could add those two versions as a default set, if there was enough interest in it.

Instead of removing them from the XML, I'd recommend you to edit this line:
Code:
  <NotInBookStore>False</NotInBookStore>

to:
Code:
  <NotInBookStore>True</NotInBookStore>

That way if the user has those books in a bookshelf, the game won't go nuts trying to look for them.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#15 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 6:24 AM
The only thing it needs is some of Maxis' dry humor.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#16 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 6:46 AM
I love it! Amazing idea and work, yay for less cluttered bookshelves!

I only wish they were a bit more expensive, as if they were actually the 3 different volumes combined in one. Having them cost 100 simoleons just seem so cheaty for me :/
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 12:34 PM
Thanks so much for this mod it was driving me crazy in the game I had to read fish books to learn what bait catches what type of fish. Thanks to your faster learning mod I no longer have to worry about this.Much Thanks to you
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#18 Old 9th Apr 2013 at 6:44 PM
I could honestly kiss you!!!! Sims 3 takes forever for them to learn skills, especially when they reach 6 or above it takes them HOURS!!! I was hoping it would have been like Sims2 where you enter the cheatsenabled cheat and just drag...but oh well, your idea and whoever elses are genius!! absolutely genius!!!
Test Subject
#19 Old 18th Apr 2013 at 5:39 PM
do they need the traits? my sims read the book and gained nothing?
my game is like close to broken, so is it just my game or did this happen to anyone else? (-:
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#20 Old 18th Apr 2013 at 9:48 PM
Awsome! Thanks!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#21 Old 25th Apr 2013 at 2:58 PM
I honestly can't tel you enough how much I love this!!!! I would give you a million thumbs up and comments if i could lol thank you again
Test Subject
#22 Old 26th Apr 2013 at 6:42 PM
Hi!

Thanks so much for this! However, I have not been able to use it yet. Is this just one book that I am looking for? I can't find any other books, at the book store, than those that are default. I might be totally thick here, so sorry!

Could someone please help? Thanks! :-)
Test Subject
#23 Old 27th Apr 2013 at 6:38 PM
Recipes would be nice to match the fishing bait learning.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#24 Old 2nd May 2013 at 2:35 AM
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. What a wonderful mod.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#25 Old 7th May 2013 at 6:12 AM
This mod like super speed skill? Thank
Page 1 of 6