Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#26 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 12:18 AM Last edited by ChaoticMoira : 15th Apr 2013 at 12:30 AM.
A game which is COMPLETELY in my control.
  • Player controlled story progression. Twallan did it, they can do it.
  • The ability to make several families "safe" (in the same town) from progression.
  • The ability to control the game music and add my own again.
  • The ability to easily add my own artwork and pictures to the game again!
  • The ability to control what types of memories are stored. I don't think a shopping trip IS a note worthy memory EA!
  • A split screen function, so I can watch two sims, in two places, at once. I don't even know if it's possible, but I want it!
  • And IF they make it online, remembering to let that be "a feature" and NOT the function that the rest of the game is built on.

I actually don't care if it makes me go online. I prefer that I can not be online if I choose so that I can play anywhere, anytime. But it isn't the biggest issue. I just don't want the entire game to be so focused on "visiting" other sims (which, I would NEVER do even once) that it doesn't give attention to the rest of the game experience. I have heard that making a city in Simcity without multi-player is virtually impossible. THAT is my worry. That all the focus goes into the multi-player experience, so if you play without it, it basically isn't even a game worth playing anymore. It really sucks that they made Simscity like that. I was a huge fan, and really looking forward to this new release, which now, I am not even going to purchase.

Some other game elements it has to have.
  • As someone else said, the ability to go for a drive and visit the other towns. (Not other players, my towns.)
  • Smarter AI, not fussing about routes. And the ability for two sims to do the same thing at once, like walking down stairs and putting dishes in the dish washer. The ability to walk around a freaking object or step over it instead of acting retarded.
  • The ability for a sim to do two tasks at once, like have them talk to a "specific" sim while cooking, eating, watching TV, dancing etc., AND the ability to control that conversation.
  • Not taking a half an hour to walk to the neighbors house, or an hour and a half to cook waffles (unless perhaps they make cook-time dynamic to skill level).
  • Babies which crawl and learn to walk (like they REALLY do) and tots who already walk and get into everything.
  • An attraction system which makes sense, and that the player can control. Putting back in turn ons and turn offs, but not stupid ones like before. The ability to make any trait a turn on or turn off for instance, as well as body shape, eye, skin and hair colour.. Also a factoring system whereby the more turn ons a sims has the more affected the other sim is by their attraction, and if a sim sees another with two things that are turn ons but one that is a turn off, that aspect affects how he reacts to her as well. Also making sure having things in common still plays a part in the factoring system. AND in addition to all that - the ability to make a sim a "sex symbol" (call it something appropriate) where all sims find the "sex symbol" attractive regardless of other features and traits. Except perhaps a sim which can be assigned with the "immune to sex symbols" ability which should also be a part of this whole scheme.. or, whatever, I totally haven't thought about it much..
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 1:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ChaoticMoira
A game which is COMPLETELY in my control.
  • Player controlled story progression. Twallan did it, they can do it.

I'd go even further, and say just allow me to activate or deactivate modules like Twallan does. Even for EA's functions. If he can stop pet adoptions in EA's games, for example, EA definitely can do it too.

Especially for EPs, which in EA's case end up modifying all sorts of other stuff. I'd like them to make it basically act like a collection of well behaved and clean mods, and let me choose what changes I want done to my game.

E.g., maybe I like playing a witch or fairy or pretend I'm a scary vampire, but have no interest in plant-eating zombies.

• The ability to make several families "safe" (in the same town) from progression.
  • The ability to control the game music and add my own again.
  • The ability to easily add my own artwork and pictures to the game again!
  • The ability to control what types of memories are stored. I don't think a shopping trip IS a note worthy memory EA!

A definite AMEN from me there.

• A split screen function, so I can watch two sims, in two places, at once. I don't even know if it's possible, but I want it!

As a programmer, I can tell you it's not just possible, it's trivial to render another camera view too. Plus, think of it this way: The Sims 1 managed just fine to show that window with what's happening outside, like that the carpool came. It's not very different a proposition.

• And IF they make it online, remembering to let that be "a feature" and NOT the function that the rest of the game is built on.

I'd add, in either case, hire someone who has some <bleep>ing clue about programming the network part, instead of the cheapest morons.

For example for SC5, there was no excuse for the servers to just crash. Get lagged, have a queue (and I mean a proper queue, not the hard coded delay they added), etc, is fine fine. But just flat out crash under load is just piss-poor programming, and probably they didn't give a <bleep> about testing it either.

Or even in TS3, that long delay at the start if I let it try to log in, is <bleep>ing incompetent design, considering that there is nothing on that screen where it really makes a difference. If the purpose is to later show me ads in the item list, then for <bleep>'s sake, make it a separate thread (a piece of program that runs in parallel) that tries to connect in the background and lets me start playing immediately. The technology has been around for, what, half a century now?

But really, that's actually what scares me the most about the network part. It'll be another half-assed aberration.

I actually don't care if it makes me go online. I prefer that I can not be online if I choose so that I can play anywhere, anytime. But it isn't the biggest issue. I just don't want the entire game to be so focused on "visiting" other sims (which, I would NEVER do even once) that it doesn't give attention to the rest of the game experience. I have heard that making a city in Simcity without multi-player is virtually impossible.

Actually, as someone who's bought it, actually it's sadder than you seem to imagine. You only had to be online. That was it. You didn't have to play with anyone, and you actually couldn't play with anyone or visit them in any meaningful way.

That was the stupid part: that they forced online connection on us, although you CAN have a map all to yourself and never talk to another player anyway.

In fact, it was probably the only way to not have a crappy experience, considering that the game really didn't pay much attention to, you know, actually working well with other people. E.g., considering that otherwise your water table would run out in mere months in a city you actually play, you pretty much had to make some satellite cities that you import water from. But if you actually went online, other players would take up the space for those.

But as I was saying, there was nothing in the game that actually needed other players. Not only you didn't need to "visit other sims", as you put it, it wasn't even really possible in any way that means anything. You couldn't actually play or really do anything in someone else's city.

The only online features were, and I'm seriously not kidding:

- you could LOOK at someone else's city, IF you were on the same map. I mean, in The Sims terms it's like I'm able to look at Gnomequeen's trailer lot IF we play in the same city, but not actually visit it or anything. Seems to me like even posting screenshots here beats that, since I could see her trailer park in the other thread without being restricted to being one of the between 3 and 16 people allowed to play on the same map.

- being nagged that you should 'share' drivel comparable to the memories nonsense in TS3. Because somehow, "It's more fun to play with friends!" That's an actual quote from the main screen where it tried every time to tell me to turn that crap on. (Well, no, publishing a list of trivial drivel like "Moraelin has placed a water tower" is NOT the same thing as "playing with friends.") Mind you, it seemed to conveniently forget being set to off anyway.

Really, that was it. That was why it didn't let people play offline.

THAT is my worry. That all the focus goes into the multi-player experience, so if you play without it, it basically isn't even a game worth playing anymore. It really sucks that they made Simscity like that. I was a huge fan, and really looking forward to this new release, which now, I am not even going to purchase.

Well, as I was saying, there was no real multi-player experience. As an analogy, at best it was like me playing the sim lot next to your sims, and you can look over the fence at my house. I mean, imagine you can even use the normal page-up/page-down to even see the layout inside. But you can't actually ring the bell at the door and come to my party nor viceversa. I couldn't invite you in, or for that matter even on the front lawn, even if I wanted to.

Does that sound like something you'd call "multiplayer experience" with a straight face? :p

Plus, seriously, if TS were online in the same way as SC5 was, some map would be restricted to 3 lots total and the largest map would have 16 lots total. Not in the sense of "free lots after the premade families and the townies and all". Total. There is nothing premade for you to interact with. (Wait, you can't interact with anything anyway. Sorry.) You play one, and other people play the other two. And you can look at the other two players' houses. Huzzah. Not.

Seriously, THAT is what they called "visiting another city." You can look at it. That's it.

And if you get bored and want to start a new lot but keep your old one around, now you can't without starting a new game, because other people took those spots.
Theorist
#28 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 1:16 AM
ChaoticMoira, I agree with all of your points except the online one. I would NEVER want to play my sim game online. Now that I've gotten used to the online thing with SimCity I'm cool with it because I play with specific friends and family in that game. However, I would not want this for my sims game. Sorry but my sims, my worlds and NO ONE's allowed to interfere. I'm the sim goddess of my little sims world and that's it.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Mad Poster
#29 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 1:27 AM
White (or any other color) trim roofs. It's getting ridiculous now. Those will be the deal breaker for me. Trim them eaves or GTFO.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
#30 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Margaret Pendragon
NO SUBHOODS! While it sort of makes sense for vacation worlds, it totally doesn't work for University. There's gotta be a better way to integrate travel between hoods.

Yeah, that's true. In Sims 2, when your Sim lives in the normal neighborhood and you want to get to a community lot in the Downtown area or something, you have to go through two entire frickin' loading screens...and yes, I know, this is supposedly a "Sims 3" thread but whatever :P

What they should do is have you connect larger areas onto your neighborhood, like place a giant square area in the middle of it and call it a shopping district or something. I mean, that'd make sense, instead of having a totally different subhood hanging around
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 3:31 AM
My hope is super simple: be new. Add the old components that people love, but don't take 8 EPs to do it. I understand popular themes make them money, but come on. Add some reasonable things to the base game, take our money with other stuff that probably could've been included, but also give us some innovative concepts that we can enjoy. See how much everyone is flipping their lid over boating? Start giving us more of that! Then you'd really see me dole out my cash more readily.

After seeing the way TS3 progressed, I really don't want to go through it again in TS4. I love the Sims 3 but I need something different if EA is to continue or you might as well call it The Sims 3: The Foie Gras Face Sequel (I couldn't think of a logical upgrade to 'pudding' so, y'know, there's that).
Theorist
#32 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 3:32 AM
Quote:
Okay, so while there have already been multiple threads for speculating on Sims 4 or what we want to see in Sims 4, I thought I'd try something a little different. I'd like to get everyone talking about what the next step in the series' evolution should be. What needs to be done to make TS4 as fresh and innovative as the original Sims?

One or more of the following:

*Without Sim Hawking advising me, my gut wants the next Sims game to have all sims in the town running their AI. They don't have to render or consider paths if they are inside their homes, but they are using their stuff to fill their needs and organizing things such as throwing your sim a surprise b-day party. What would this mean? A lot more than my imagination can conjure. For example, a schoozer sim invites a houshold out for dinner, your kleptomaniac sim gets word of this and visits the empty house to borrow some simoleans or a tv or six. Or your technophobe sim can finally bust their technology up real bad and then hide somewhere to take pictures of their reactions and post them on SimBook. This would also be a massive undertaking to make it work something ( I don't think EA will be okay with ) , but it would be huge if it could happen.

*If the above is too demanding, then how about this?: All of a player sim's peers are in communication with each other and will have opinions on things that other sims do. What am I trying to say? That your TS3 sim was a cheater! You know they are because you made them a cheater! So your sim will have to bribe or make treaties with those that don't like it to keep it a secret ( I will buy you a new car / or pay you x simoleans a week ). If there is a fallout between the cheater and the cheated, all sims that know them will choose to take either side ( severe + / - with each sim ), stay neutral, or cashout. Actual social material, because sims have pull with each other. If your sim drinks at work and someone else sees, they may not care. Or they may tell everyone. The point is that sims have opinions on all kinds of stuff based on their traits, will communicate with each other, will demand rewards or ask favors and remember them, and may choose sides in conflict / may demand that you choose their side in conflict. Conflict means that there will be a winner and a loser in a dispute, and stuff happens ( move out of house or neighborhood, lose job / get raise, get more stuff, etc ). And of course, grudges. GRUDGES!

*Improve on the tried and true basics of the Sims. Stuff that the Sims already does is made better. Traits: Genius sims have real trouble getting along with non-genius sims, and they can invent stuff that cannot be obtained in any other way ( the best TV in the game, etc. ), they will not work with Childish sims unless they have the Friendly trait. Green Thumb sims are the only sims that can have plant people sims growing in the garden, and they are the only way to get the deadly plants. Needs: More animations so that your sim can relieve themselves on the toilet while watching a show and eating lunch... and smoking a cigarette ( Bladder, Entertainment, Hunger, Comfort all at once! ).

*A feature to turn on Tides of Population. If you don't want to have to make sims to fill the neighborhood then this feature will have new sims move into town and choose an empty house. Whenever a sim in town dies or moves out because they hate their life there, someone new comes in to take their place.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 4:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DragonSaint
What will it take to get those of us who have gotten fed up EA/Maxis to buy TS4?

Making it x-rated would do it for sure. That won't happen, but giving it a more adult thyme would entice some.

Maybe making the base game for everyone but making some adult only expansions.

Myself, I see no sense in buying the same game an expansions over and over. I see no big difference between the sims 2 and 3 other than the open neighborhood.

I'm stopping with the Sims 3.
Alchemist
#34 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 12:33 PM
I have very simple needs. Weather from the start and travel between towns without a mod needed. As far as online required, non starter for me. I don't care what else it has, that's a deal breaker for me. I mainly game on my desktop, but I also have a gaming laptop and being able to play TS3 while I was on my way from Maryland to Georgia by car a few weeks ago helped keep my sanity.
Scholar
#35 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 1:05 PM
Actually, here is a minor wish, and it's not a deal breaker or anything, but it would do lots for immersion for me: no more drivel job ranks. Like, say, the rabid fan ranks in pro sports or music. They're paying ME to play a fan at their games or shows? WTH? Exactly how crappy a team and band do they have in that one-horse town that they need to pay people to fill the seats?

Reminds me of Red Guy from Cow And Chicken. "It's pay per view. I pay them to view." :p
Scholar
#36 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 2:58 PM
What makes you all think that sims4 going to be online?I don't get a point,cuz the is no information about sims 4,only fact that sims 4 was announced
Scholar
#37 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 3:13 PM
Quote:
EA studio president Frank Gibeau has been talking about the publisher’s efforts to push every new release online at the Cloud Gaming USA conference covered by Supperannuation. Mandatory multiplayer modes, online profiles and cross-platform projects have been an important part of that push.

“We are very proud of the way EA evolved with consumers. I have not green lit one game to be developed as a singleplayer experience, said Gibeau. “Today, all of our games include online applications and digital services that make them live 24/7/365.”

From last September (2012).
Mad Poster
#38 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 3:22 PM
The Sims has always been online, technically. The CC community is what keeps the games alive. Players are constantly interacting and using each others good, sharing tips, tricks and hint with each other, etc. We never needed a community function in the game to communicate. We do just fine now and we're quite happen. Unless I get that one person here who comes along with a [dislike] who MUST have multiplayer ship with the Sims 4 or no buy.

And I get this strange feeling that TS4 with just be called "The Sims".

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Scholar
#39 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 3:26 PM
Now I hoping that sims 4 will have single player mode .....................
Alchemist
#40 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 3:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nemiga
What makes you all think that sims4 going to be online?

Not speaking for everyone but Sim City 5 is some people's indication. also some misinterpreted this statement from EA president Frank Gibeau
Quote:

I have not green lit one game to be developed as a singleplayer experience, said Gibeau. “Today, all of our games include online applications and digital services that make them live 24/7/365.”

However he answered that with another quote later

Quote:
"Let me clarify," Gibeau began. "What I said was [about not greenlighting] anything that [doesn't have] an online service. You can have a very deep single-player game but it has to have an ongoing content plan for keeping customers engaged beyond what's on the initial disc.

To me he's not saying there won't be any single player games, merely that every game will have some sort of online component. Like TS3 has now with simport, FB connection, etc. We actually really won't know until they give us some info about TS4. After the SC5 debacle, I just don't see them doing that again
Test Subject
#41 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 5:41 PM Last edited by supreme_leader : 16th Apr 2013 at 3:10 PM.
As everyone already said No always online and always keep the singleplayer.

Alot of options from the Sims 3 I already like and the basics should stay the same.
More building options of course.
I would like to see it a little more crowded, so that you actually feel that you live in a village or even city with a realistic size.
Traveling I don't really care for as long as there is plenty of space else we do need it.
Being able to drive (by clicking I guess, with controls it doesn't probably fit in a Sim game) and park your cars at certain spots without it disappearing in your pockets lol
More realistic public transportation and less rabbitholes but actually being able to keep track of your sims

Oh and Not 10 to 20 expension packs

Edit: 2 more things came up:

Bigger lots (compared to The Sims 3 I hope at least 128x128 or even bigger so you could really build as you desire
More shapes for walls and foundations, different corners and circle shaped walls etc
Forum Resident
#42 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 7:09 PM Last edited by chreai : 17th Apr 2013 at 3:57 PM.
Great suggestions from everyone, and I agree with a lot of them! However, it is the simple things in Sim-life that matter to me so, for the love of God, please give us these things!:
  • more, BETTER animations, especially for babies and toddlers
  • the ability to tune autonomy a la Retuner
  • Better customization for tattoos and the ability to put them ANYwhere on the body, not just in pre-set locations. In addition, being able to add our own tattoos to the game, in the same way we could add pictures and music in TS2
  • piercings for the nose, lip, belly button, etc.
  • more ways to customize hair. e.g, if I wanted to JUST make the bangs a different color (or several colors at once), I could do that. Saw a chick today who had a spiky blonde pixie cut with multi-colored pastel tips on her spiked bangs and she looked rockin' and I was mourning not being able to make a Sim that looked like that!
  • Purses and handbags, please!!! It is weird to see a bunch of people walking around the neighborhood with nothing in which to tote around their essentials! It's just not right! Yes, we have backpacks now, which would be great if my Sims lived in...I don't know, Portland? But they don't. So give me purses, messenger bags and totes!
  • Cargo bikes! I want one in real life, but since I can't afford one, at least let my Sims have them.
  • more transportation options. Sims can learn to fly planes, own a personal plane, go to an open airport and ride in a plane as a means of travel. Trains and railroads. Industrial trains that hold up traffic, and passenger trains and monorails to transport Sims around town and to different worlds. Community buses that run a specified route. Taxis cost money as do all other transport systems. I would love for subways to be opened up as well, but that may be too much to ask. In fact, all of my transport ideas are probably too much to ask...
  • On that note, i would like to see more Sims out walking, especially in bigger cities like Bridgeport. And being able to hold hands while walking. And give little children piggy-back and shoulder rides.

There are many more ideas that I can think of that would probably make the designers' heads explode, but I'll stop here.

My TS3 Sims, patterns & recolors

Check out my Simblr! (TS3-focused, sometimes NSFW)
♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Theorist
#43 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 7:53 PM
What I think Sims 4 should have:
- More efficient game engine, meaning less lag, shorter load and save times, and smaller save file sizes.
- Improved graphics, taking advantage of new technologies like DX11 Tessellation to smooth out meshes and make things like belts, necklaces, and creases actually stand out instead of looking painted on. Animated hair like TressFX would be awesome too.
- Fewer rabbit holes, because rabbit holes aren't fun.
- No materializing. Must physically get into cars, must not be able to materialize into and out of places. Wall a townie into a doorless room, it dies.
- No more free bikes and cars. If a sim doesn't have transportation, it has to walk!
- Bring back the humor, charm, and energy that was in Sims 2. When I went back to Sims 2 after years of not playing it, I noticed they looked and sounded a lot more energetic with more expressive reactions to other sims, their environment, and things that happen to them.
- I may get a lot of disagrees with this, but I think they should also go back to the Sims 2 need to buy clothes, with the ability to also be able to receive clothes as gifts. In TS2, I actually enjoyed having sims go clothes shopping and it would give them something to save for.
- Some kind of Creation Kit to make modding easy, like Bethesda offers for their games.
- Obviously, I think it should remain largely single-player offline. Add online elements if need be, but don't make it required.

I could go on and on, but there are already a ton of threads on what people think should be in the next Sims game.

So here's what I think EA wants in the next Sims game:
I'm going to guess that EA will make Sims 4 more like Sims FreePlay for the Desktop, but they will make it NOT free! Yes, you will have the opportunity to pay good money for the game, and it will reward you with requiring an always-online connection. Why? For in-game purchases, of course! You will get to enjoy being able to spend your hard-earned real-life cash on virtual crap for your sims. Let's say you see one of EA's new in-game billboards, TV, or radio ads for some new must-have crap, you'll be able to immediately pull up the item in the online store and buy it without pausing gameplay. What ads, you ask? Those ads EA will be not so subtly piping into your Sims game thanks to the always-online internet connection! Oh, but it won't stop at in-game purchases! Sims 4 will have a new feature to set it apart from its predecessors: real-time play. Yes, like FreePlay. Yep, they noticed FreePlay's 4.5 star rating and they think "Ooh, if we can bring that success to the desktop we'll make mucho $$$!". So what if real-time play is too slow, too boring, and you want to speed through it? No problem! Just spend some "XP" to speed through that boring activity! What's this "XP" and where will it come from? Well, Sims 4 will also be more goal oriented and you will gain "XP" for completing goals. So what if your sim doesn't have enough XP to speed through that boring task? No problem! You'll be able to purchase XP for real cash! Another new feature, will be online play, because EA thinks online play is the future. You'll have the ability to play online with others, so you can be all jelly about the crap your friends bought for their sims and you'll wanna buy it too! It will also post crap to your Facebook, most likely ads for whatever stuff you bought in-game so your FB friends will be all jelly and wanna buy it too.

Resident wet blanket.
Theorist
#44 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 8:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
So here's what I think EA wants in the next Sims game:
I'm going to guess that EA will make Sims 4 more like Sims FreePlay for the Desktop, but they will make it NOT free! Yes, you will have the opportunity to pay good money for the game, and it will reward you with requiring an always-online connection. Why? For in-game purchases, of course! You will get to enjoy being able to spend your hard-earned real-life cash on virtual crap for your sims. Let's say you see one of EA's new in-game billboards, TV, or radio ads for some new must-have crap, you'll be able to immediately pull up the item in the online store and buy it without pausing gameplay. What ads, you ask? Those ads EA will be not so subtly piping into your Sims game thanks to the always-online internet connection! Oh, but it won't stop at in-game purchases! Sims 4 will have a new feature to set it apart from its predecessors: real-time play. Yes, like FreePlay. Yep, they noticed FreePlay's 4.5 star rating and they think "Ooh, if we can bring that success to the desktop we'll make mucho $$$!". So what if real-time play is too slow, too boring, and you want to speed through it? No problem! Just spend some "XP" to speed through that boring activity! What's this "XP" and where will it come from? Well, Sims 4 will also be more goal oriented and you will gain "XP" for completing goals. So what if your sim doesn't have enough XP to speed through that boring task? No problem! You'll be able to purchase XP for real cash! Another new feature, will be online play, because EA thinks online play is the future. You'll have the ability to play online with others, so you can be all jelly about the crap your friends bought for their sims and you'll wanna buy it too! It will also post crap to your Facebook, most likely ads for whatever stuff you bought in-game so your FB friends will be all jelly and wanna buy it too.

I've been sacrificing cattle to the gods hoping this won't happen but, *tch*, you never know.

((On a more serious note: I agree with everything else in your post, just.. MORE. More Charm, More Animations and More Effort. FIX what's wrong without adding a different and less engrossing mechanic))

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Scholar
#45 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 8:27 PM
@Shoosh Malooka
In 2001, a game called tropico could simulate over 1000 inhabitants of an island, all with needs and AI to satisfy them. E.g., if their health bar got too low, they tried to find a hospital. If their hunger bar got low, they headed for the nearest market, or the nearest farm. Etc.

At heart, it's not very different from the Sims' motives and finding an object that satisfies them.

Furthermore, they had stats (e.g., how intelligent they are or how brave). They had factions and political views, and that was further influenced by their relatives' and friends' factions and views. Based on that, they had opinions about stuff beyond just satisfying their needs. E.g., an ecology-minded gal might start disliking the regime if lots of polluting factories and mines are built. E.g., someone siding with the militarist faction might actually LIKE lots of soldiers on the island (most others, especially the intellectuals, feel oppressed if there's soldiers and police everywhere) and conversely dislike the regime if there aren't enough soldiers.

They passed on information when they talked to each other. (E.g., if you had someone assassinated, your population didn't magically know it. But if someone saw it, the next time they talked to someone, well, now one more person knew and thought less of the presidente.) Etc.

If a game from 12 years ago could do that... considering that 12 years is 8 Moore cycles (CPU speed is supposed to double every 18 months), a game nowadays should be able to simulate some 250,000 of those people.

So, yeah, this roundabout trip was to say: I'm pretty darned confident that simulating 100 sims in real time should be no problem nowadays.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 9:11 PM
One thing I would like to see is more options for building. Curved walls and no tiles. The ability to put things where I want them without it snapping to a certain point. The ability to make walls the exact length that I want and not have to choose due to the tiling. Nice simple wish.

Oh, and offline mode
Mad Poster
#47 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 9:19 PM
Crossposting from the TS2 section:

Bring back the little stuff. The play, the, "woah, my sim just dropped their plate of food on that customer." The consequences are real.

The ability to drag coats, hats, purses, etc, and kind of stretch them to fit your sim's body instead of dealing with set meshes and clipping.

Maternity clothes that don't morph to the bottom of the belly like it's magnetised. o_o

Mattresses that are separate from the bedframes for better combinations and efficiency. Closets are empty and the clothing that you put on the racks is what you own - no more communal wardrobes. You can assign these closets to up to three sims at one time and it can hold maybe 30 outfits, 10 pairs of shoes, etc.

Hairdressing can make a comeback - your sim is restricted to a certain length of style until they get it cut or let it grow out. They can style it differently each day, but at night it gets a bit messy and they either have to comb it or wash it and then restyle it. You can buy different types of shampoos, relaxers and conditioners to get a certain look about it, like how bubble baths work. Hair dye works in the same way, where you comb it in and then leave it in before your sim is prompted to wash it out again. Colourings aren't guaranteed - to get that salon look, you have to visit a professional hair stylist and shell out the big simoleons for nicer shampoos.

Bags to carry things in. Grocery bags, shopping bags, purses, backpacks, etc, with a set limit of how many items you can put in them as well as a weight limit. Good for backpacking, etc.

Bikes, wheelchairs, scooters, prams, rollerblades, skateboards and more that your sim can use off the grid, say, through parks and suchlike. And instead of them disappearing when you hit a hill, YOU CAN GO OVER THE BUMP. With stairs, you can just fold it up and drag it behind you. Wheelchair-bound sims (which we have had in The Urbz to no complaints) would have to use a lift or a ramp. Homes can have stairlifts installed. Sims can be born having to use a wheelchair, or you can make them that way in CAS, which would just mean a few extra animations. They can still do everything except what requires use of their legs like jogging or riding a skateboard.

ESCALATORS. Something so simple and so sorely missed in this game.

Little Jimmy fall out of a tree? The ambulance will come and take care of his broken arm. Hospitals are actually useful, and you can see inside some of the rooms (not all of them) such as a hospital room where a sick sim with Llama Pox is staying. Check in at the front desk and be directed to a certain room - going anywhere else besides there and the public areas can get you in some real trouble. Some sims with the Kleptomaniac trait can steal chairs from empty waiting rooms or even samples from a lab, but watch out - they could get sick off of it!

I would really like to see malls. This part COULD be done online (the rest can stuff itself) - a gigantic preset mall with different areas to it where you can set up a shop and sell your crafted (or assembled) wares to other simmers. Kind of like an Exchange, but you get to see the items before you purchase it with your sim's simoleons. Bigger stuff like mattresses could be delivered with a truck and put in the room that you direct them to (reminiscent of showing the headmaster around your home in TS2).

A real housing market and stock market with different things to invest in. Houses for sale will have a sign out front of it and your sim can be shown around it (callback to the headmaster system) where the real estate agent (a sim you can also play if you are playing that career path) will show them the basics and your sim can choose how to react to a room and decide if they want the house or want to keep looking. If they want to keep looking, they will go home (with their spouse if they have one) and wait for another phone call or look for listings online.

The weather channel has different things that it shows on the TV depending on the actual weather to come that day.

Boots of cars that are useable for storage, with complete and full animations. Stick a cooler and your dog in the back of your new SUV and take a trip down to the beach. Sims can sit in the backs of trucks and watch drive-in movies. Kids store their sports crap in the back of your old Yomoshoto Pursuit. Cars can crash if your sim has one of the more absent-minded traits or is just going too fast, and your sim is not allowed to drink drive unless they have the new Reckless trait. Teens and Elders have a higher chance of this happening to them, there's a 50% chance of being charged for it, and there's a 0.5% chance that a sim will have to be rushed to the hospital.

On that topic, there are restrictions on drinking now in place. Pregnant sims cannot drink, and a sim's first drink is ten times more likely to make them vomit.

The resolution automatically switches to your monitor's. This isn't rocket science, people.

The ability to make roads, paths, etc, whenever you want in your current/existing city. I want to add a new housing development? Lay some roads, and it would take one sim-week for each block to be finished. Old roads can only be demolished after every business has packed up and been demolished as well, like homeowner's society rules.

Furniture must be ordered, delivered, and assembled, unless you were to go into Freestyle Mode which could be for builders/storytellers, etc. Pre-furnished houses could utilise this one too. For regular play, it's mostly like this. The lot effects markers could come into big play here as ways to set which furniture comes pre-assembled with the house and which doesn't.

More low-end, odd jobs, in the terms of goals and stuff to do, like babysit a sim's kids for the night or become a dog walker to earn extra simoleons. Each job you can fully interact with and it has its advantages, and they are totally optional (you seek them out on the odd jobs site or even on the jobs boards in the new newsagent's in town).

I'd love to see convenience stores. Real ones that sell cheap goods like chewing gum (with real bubbles), soft drinks, crisps, long-distance phone cards (have your sim call another sim in another city) and more.

Relatives can become spread out throughout the regions and move away, coming back for family reunions (a returning and no longer hidden party type from The Sims 2) and special events like baby showers and graduations.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Field Researcher
#48 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 10:37 PM
Man, there are so many great ideas here. And I would totally buy TS4 if a lot of this was added.

@ Moraelin - Yeah "fine tuning" the story progression (adjusting modules) was what I meant by "player controlled". And funny enough, zombies was what was in my head as I was typing. I hate the game Plants vs Zombies and I certainly don't want their other games that I don't like infesting the game I DO like. I get that it is cool for people who are fans of other EA games. I am not against them putting easter eggs in the game which correlate to another game, BUT, I should be able to turn it off if I am not a fan.

I understood that in Simcity there wasn't any "real social aspect" in the multiplayer function. I was making the assumption that for The Sims specifically the multiplayer aspect would be for socializing. It wouldn't make sense for them to do the online thing in The Sims the same as in Simcity because there is no economy or city planning to be affected by neighbouring cities. What IS in The Sims is "interpersonal sim interaction".. so it makes sense that if they make the game multiplayer, it will be in a social sense. I don't want it, but I fear they will do it.

@ lisfyre - Oh no, me either. I will never play a multiplayer Sims game. Period. I am not even remotely interested in socializing with people in my game. It is my own private little world, and that is how I want it to stay. I am God, and I have no interest in other Gods!

I just meant that if they required me to get online to register or some dumb thing, I would find it annoying, but I could get passed it. Requiring me to have a multiplayer experience is a deal breaker for me, AND further, if they have multiplayer AND single player, but it appears all the real attention in development was given to the multiplayer experience, leaving single player dangling like the unwanted step-child, I won't be getting that game either. No thanks.
Field Researcher
#49 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 11:28 PM
For the first time ever, the thought of a new Sims terrifies me. For the previous two, I was excited and felt ready for their release. They just shut down three, popular, online Facebook games [Sims City/Sims Social] today and that only added to my fear.

There are only a few things that I hope they change: I no longer want to be paying 40 dollars for things that should have been in the base game (looking at you Ambitions, Late Night, Generations and to a lesser extent Seasons [unfortunately, that will always be a cash cow, bringing old players back to the game EP] )

I would like more interaction from Sims not in your house. IE If you're dating a sim, they ask you to move in.. they propose to you etc.

I would like to easily move from town to town. I would like to change families without losing their wishes. I would like a better, realistic, looking Sim. I would like an easir way to create your own town. I would like NO online component.

Maybe I should stop... lol Im going to get carried away, especially since they so rarely listen to the players desires

"There's downloadable dongs elsewhere."
My Plumbob Story
Scholar
#50 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 11:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by heartbreak
...especially since they so rarely listen to the players desires

They didn't win the "sorriest company award" two years in a row for nothing.
Page 2 of 9