Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#2076 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
On Twitter, SimGuruSarah is saying that the press conference is starting at 7AM PDT instead of 8AM PDT.

I thought some of you might find this silly little YouTube video from James aka TheSimSupply mildly entertaining: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bbt...ture=youtu.be&a

People were having a hard enough time figuring out when 8am PDT is locally and now they changed it.

Mess
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2077 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 1:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pelouse
People were having a hard enough time figuring out when 8am PDT is locally and now they changed it.

It was always at 7am Pacific, SimGuru Sarah was just mistaken before. It was listed as 7am a few pages back, and the Facebook page for the event has always said 7am.

Quote: Originally posted by Java3
This would be correct. NZ is 5 hours behind Pacific time, currently. (And a day ahead. So 19 hours ahead.)
My girlfriend lives in New Zealand, while I live in western America, so I have to know this stuff. :P

So, since the broadcast is at 7 AM on the 21st in Pacific time, it will be at 2 AM on the 22nd in NZ.

It's 7am the 20th Pacific time, not the 21st. It's tomorrow.
Theorist
#2078 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 1:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KISSESfromCARIE
It was always at 7am Pacific, SimGuru Sarah was just mistaken before. It was listed as 7am a few pages back, and the Facebook page for the event has always said 7am.

I got my info straight from the ea@gamescom website but I have to admit I went back and checked to make sure I had it correct.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2079 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 1:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
I thought some of you might find this silly little YouTube video from James aka TheSimSupply mildly entertaining: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bbt...ture=youtu.be&a

"You're not gonna dub this!"

*dubbed*

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Lab Assistant
#2080 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 4:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
It means where you don't have perspective view. Like a room doesn't look narrower on the far side.

True.
But look at the bed http://www.simsdomination.com/imgs/games/scan8.jpg
and at the screen divider: too short. Too much short and small (compared with the wall height).
Bed is 6x4. smaller squares?
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#2081 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 4:21 AM
No, the bed is the same size as normal. The tiles look the same to me. Even in TS3, tiles are broken into 4 quadrants with a dotted line which you see when you have the grid on. The TS4 tiles look exactly the same. So that balcony is a 6x2. Bed is a 2x3, it's just centered on 4 instead of flush on 3.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2082 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 4:22 AM
The game is the same exact grid from Sims 3. A large square with half tiles dashes in the center. The squares look smaller because the dashes are small enough to look like a solid line.

Lab Assistant
#2083 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 4:47 AM
The walls are just really, really tall.
Mad Poster
#2084 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 5:17 AM
With that wall height, each floor appears to be about 1.5 compared to TS3. So, with the three-floor limit, I'd think that you can get the appearance of about a 4.5- to 5-story building, which would still be as tall as one in TS3 but with fewer floors, if that makes any sense. I still wish for more than three floors, but I was just analyzing this out of curiosity.

Personally, I like the new wall height. I like that the walls are taller. I just hope they aren't limited.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2085 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 5:25 AM
The wall height appears to be taking into account the friezes. There is no confirmed 1.5 times wall height.

Instructor
#2086 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 6:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
I would LOVE to build thinner walls.That would be the perfect solution to avoid given us multiple windows, but the rendering poly count would almost double.

I just thought about this some more. Would that necessarily have to be the case, though? If they managed to make a system where the walls were modular and somehow, half and half merged together to count as a whole wall once built and the poly count remained the same, but if you did only build a wall half the lengh then that would still be the same poly count as a full wall (I think).

Sorry, hope that makes sense. I is not the best at 'splainin' things .
Lab Assistant
#2087 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 7:20 AM
Build Mode in action

and this are the pics individually:

Instructor
#2088 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 7:25 AM
According to the countdown of Gamescon there is a little over 7 hours from now which would make it 12am here in Australia or 2am in New Zealand on the 21st. If it happens to be an hour earlier as someone stated then it would start around 11pm in Australia on the 20th and 1am in New Zealand on the 21st.

Hope that helps with the confusion.

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Lab Assistant
#2089 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 7:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
The wall height appears to be taking into account the friezes. There is no confirmed 1.5 times wall height.

friezes? hm. imo are only taller, also in ground floor
Instructor
#2090 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 7:38 AM
The walls do appear to be taller, even in your pics Nic.
Maybe to encompass the possibilities of a CAS height slider?
Instructor
#2091 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 7:40 AM
Man, I wish I could build houses as quickly as that .gif. :P
Juggling whether to stay up for the conference.
Is it the Sims conference part that starts at 7 a.m. (for some of you), or is it the the entire thing?
Lab Assistant
#2092 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 7:48 AM
maybe they aren't friezes but fences (going down) or deco.
or not: fence's columns in ground and first floor have different heights.
Instructor
#2093 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 7:54 AM
There appears to be more tiles in the grid in build mode? Is that a new feature or something brought over from the Sims 3 (I haven't played Sims 3 in forever and can't remember).

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Inventor
#2094 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 8:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lovcat
I'm having a few issues finding a high quality versions of the other build mode photo but hope these help.

Here is another build mode photo

Here is the actual post of all the screens @SimsCommunity

There might be more scattered about that I don't know about but that seems pretty complete.

Thanks so much!

Darn... what I thought was in the pics wasn't actually there. My brain was foolishly and falsely recalling that one of the walls was at an odd angle, as if we could change the angle of the walls 180 degrees instead of straight or diagonal. I was soooo hoping my brain was right, but, alas.

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Lab Assistant
#2095 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 8:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Issie
There appears to be more tiles in the grid in build mode? Is that a new feature or something brought over from the Sims 3 (I haven't played Sims 3 in forever and can't remember).

Nope, it's the same as Sims 3. What you're seeing is the way the tiles are divided into 4 parts; you can't tell very well in the pictures, but they're dashed lines. For walls, you can only build tile-by-tile, but when placing objects you can use the smaller grid. I hope this makes sense; it's 12am and I'm pretty tired.
Instructor
#2096 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 8:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KISSESfromCARIE
Nope, it's the same as Sims 3. What you're seeing is the way the tiles are divided into 4 parts; you can't tell very well in the pictures, but they're dashed lines. For walls, you can only build tile-by-tile, but when placing objects you can use the smaller grid. I hope this makes sense; it's 12am and I'm pretty tired.

Yes it does, thanks. It looks much like Sims 3 then does it not? Besides the changes to sidewalks and height of walls, it doesn't look revolutionary to me.

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2097 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 8:26 AM
As primarily a builder/townplanner myself I can't feel any excitement about what I have seen so far, other than the brief reference to adjusting the roof overhang - that's something that has bugged me since forever!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Theorist
#2098 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 8:38 AM
Those waiting for the press conference or intend to watch later on, SimVIP updated with this link

http://simsvip.com/2013/08/20/games...onference-live/
Mad Poster
#2099 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 8:40 AM
Maybe it's me, but the ground texture kind of resembles TS2 more than it does TS3. Maybe it's the lighting or colors?
Theorist
#2100 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 8:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
Maybe it's me, but the ground texture kind of resembles TS2 more than it does TS3. Maybe it's the lighting or colors?

In the gif image above? I noticed that as well but it's likely just the compression
Locked thread
Page 84 of 817