Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
#26 Old 6th May 2013 at 6:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KLTboy
When SimCity was first announced March 5, 2012 they clearly stated an "online, multi-player" game... people who thought otherwise were sadly mistaken.

wqsaey >un1cx • 11 months ago
−+
Apparently there'll be a completely single-player mode. No pseudo-multiplayer or anything.

This is looking pretty good. I see pseudo-multiplayer as a plus. It just adds another dimension to the singleplayer experience--it's not "sideways" from it.

wqsaey >Voqar • 11 months ago

How about doing more research before trying to rile people? There's going to be a completely single-player mode with absolutely no pseudo-multiplayer. Also, it's going to be similar to Steam where you need to be online to start up the game but not to play.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06...tion-in-simcity

No mention of always online here either

http://www.webpronews.com/gdc-2012-...y-maxis-2012-03

Nor here

http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/...50519/simcity-5

Nor here

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...-announced.aspx
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 6th May 2013 at 6:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
wqsaey >un1cx • 11 months ago
−+
Apparently there'll be a completely single-player mode. No pseudo-multiplayer or anything.

This is looking pretty good. I see pseudo-multiplayer as a plus. It just adds another dimension to the singleplayer experience--it's not "sideways" from it.

wqsaey >Voqar • 11 months ago

How about doing more research before trying to rile people? There's going to be a completely single-player mode with absolutely no pseudo-multiplayer. Also, it's going to be similar to Steam where you need to be online to start up the game but not to play.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06...tion-in-simcity

No mention of always online here either

http://www.webpronews.com/gdc-2012-...y-maxis-2012-03

Nor here

http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/...50519/simcity-5

Nor here

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...-announced.aspx

You're still mistaken... The game was revealed at a game conference, and Kip himself stated that it would be an online, multi-player game.

CHECK out The Real Simwives of Starlight Shores!: http://www.youtube.com/realsimwivesHD
Forum Resident
#28 Old 6th May 2013 at 6:19 PM
You're still mistaken... The game was revealed at a game conference, and Kip himself stated that it would be an online, multi-player game.

If thats the case, im ready with popcorn to watch the complete and utter rage storm that will occur.

Ea has some brass to require online with this after what happened with Simcity.
Theorist
#29 Old 6th May 2013 at 6:21 PM
There's two different conversations going on here; one is about SimCity being online. Currently they are saying that TS4 will be offline so we'll have to see and hope for the best.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Alchemist
#30 Old 6th May 2013 at 6:25 PM

I'm not mistaken, those are press quotes from 2012 from E3 and the GDC. None of them mention online always.

Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
There's two different conversations going on here; one is about SimCity being online. Currently they are saying that TS4 will be offline so we'll have to see and hope for the best.

I hope you're right. I even said prior to this announcement that I didn't think they'd go with online only after the SC debacle. I just don't trust EA
Forum Resident
#31 Old 6th May 2013 at 6:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
I'm not mistaken, those are press quotes from 2012 from E3 and the GDC. None of them mention online always.

Lets just hope Maxis dont go full retard.
Alchemist
#32 Old 6th May 2013 at 6:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by residenteviloutbreak
Lets just hope Maxis dont go full retard.

Maxis is still a division of EA
Alchemist
Original Poster
#33 Old 6th May 2013 at 6:30 PM
Maxis did not work on TS3 (Right?) if both EA and Maxis will work on The Sims 4 I know it will be great!
Forum Resident
#34 Old 6th May 2013 at 6:31 PM
According to this, Gamesbeat was told by a maxis spokesman it will offer a fully offline mode: http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/06/e...elease-in-2014/
Theorist
#35 Old 6th May 2013 at 6:31 PM
And they already went full retard once, with SimCity 5. Many of the people working on that game have been with Maxis and the Sims' games for 10 years, too.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it really was Will Wright who was the visionary behind these games. Not that he'd want to ever come back, he likes to think things up then move on to the next new thing. But the Maxis people don't seem to get these games like he did. That's why I am encouraged that they say they are going to involve the fans in the design of TS4.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Alchemist
#36 Old 6th May 2013 at 6:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
Maxis did not work on TS3 (Right?) if both EA and Maxis will work on The Sims 4 I know it will be great!

Didn't the Maxis team work on SC?
Forum Resident
#37 Old 6th May 2013 at 6:36 PM

Every expansion since showtime has been worked on by Maxis. They also completely worked on Simcity 2013.
Whats sad is that Maxis wants to return to their series`s, but sadly they are led by that evil witch Lucy Bradshaw.

Im gonna try to have faith and see if Maxis learned a lesson from the simcity fallout, but idk.
Instructor
#38 Old 6th May 2013 at 6:55 PM
Several Simgurus specifically said years ago when people were screaming for Maxis to come back that it's the same people they just changed the name. It of course fell on deaf ears and I'm not sure why. Denial? So I guess they changed the name back to Maxis to keep the crowd at ease and bring more confidence in the Franchise again. I believe just in time for Simcity 5. People went wild but nothing really changed because it's the same people working on the games.

Yes, some leave and they do hire new talent but it's basically the same group of people. Not to mention that management dictates a lot of what happens from what I can tell so even if Maxis were different people they'd still have to deal with the BS the higher ones impose on them. If even after the Simcity debacle people still believe that having the name Maxis makes any different at all then I don't know what to think. Either they are horribly ill informed or in some kind of uber degree of denial.

Yes, EA made sure to announce that the game is gonna be single player and offline. They also said that they are putting the fans first and will leak/share the process of development with us first so they can hear our feedback. I'm actually baffled they finally acknowledged that they've been doing it wrong. I figured they would stick their fingers in their ears and go "la la la, I can't hear you" and push an online TS4 either way.

Of course these are all words still. So although they manage to peak my curiosity, I'm not really excited yet until I have more substantial information on what will ship with the game. Also let's be honest, the game is due in 2014, I assume that a great chunk of it ought to be finished by now. They also brought in iPodZeke, Quxxn and Curtis Paradis and there was major glomping so if they are taking advice mainly from those 3 then we're all doomed!

All in all this was interesting and I'll be following TS4 news closely to see if it's gonna be worth me investing money in the franchise again.

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Mad Poster
#39 Old 6th May 2013 at 6:59 PM
Hooray! Now let's move all of these fucking threads into their own section.
Theorist
#40 Old 6th May 2013 at 7:00 PM
I agree - these are the same people, they just started reusing the Maxis name because of all the people who kept wishing they'd 'come back'. It's a marketing thing.

I can also relate to being cautious. One commenter I saw today said it's kind of like the playground bully who suddenly starts making all nice and wants to be your friend.

Oh rly?? R u for realz?

Laura's Legacy
Field Researcher
#41 Old 6th May 2013 at 7:14 PM
Well, ar least now we have heard something about TS4, but there's no use talking about it untill we hear more info from EA and see some screenshots. I hope EA have learned a few lessons from TS3 and won't make the same mistakes - and won't make new ones, too . Looking forward for more news.
Alchemist
#42 Old 6th May 2013 at 7:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by virgalibabe
Also let's be honest, the game is due in 2014, I assume that a great chunk of it ought to be finished by now.

I'm hoping we'll see something at E3. I'm assuming that's why this announcement was made so far away from launch
Scholar
#43 Old 6th May 2013 at 7:25 PM
Dopey idiot here, what's E3?
And I guess this means that the time travel EP is the last.
Instructor
#44 Old 6th May 2013 at 7:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheCantankerousUnicorn

Electronic Entertainment Expo, I used to be surprised at how many gamers don't know about E3's existence. I'm not anymore though.

ETA: The reason of my surprise being the fact that I never considered myself a gamer at heart yet I've talked to plenty of harcore gamers irl that never heard about it. XD

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Alchemist
#45 Old 6th May 2013 at 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheCantankerousUnicorn

The Electronic Entertainment Expo. it's the show held every year where game companies and developers announce and demonstrate what's coming up with their respective companies

http://www.e3insider.com/
Theorist
#46 Old 6th May 2013 at 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by donix123
i hope rabbit holes will be gone and more stuffs to do...excited

It wouldn't surprise me if we get MOAR rabbit holes and less stuffs to do!

Resident wet blanket.
Scholar
#47 Old 6th May 2013 at 7:34 PM
Well, they redefined the word MMO for Simcity, so maybe this time they will introduce a new definition for offline. Some weird explanation where they tell us that you can be perfectly offline while you are on the internet.
Field Researcher
#48 Old 6th May 2013 at 8:50 PM

They did, they were just renamed as "The Sims Studio",
Test Subject
#49 Old 6th May 2013 at 9:15 PM
Didn't a lot of key people leave Maxis after TS2?
Test Subject
#50 Old 6th May 2013 at 11:08 PM Last edited by FoxPaw : 7th May 2013 at 2:46 AM.
I'll never understand the pro-rabbit hole crowd. This is a life sim! So much happens at work and school, the stories you could tell!

For one thing, I think sims should function at these place without you having to control them. But if you want to, you should be able to. Course, I think you should be able to set a sim up as a home maker or farmer too and have them do that stuff automatically too. Playing clean the house, weed the garden, make dinner is only fun the first time itself.

What a great game-in-a-game being a criminal would be, or a thief, or a politician, or a journalist, or a doctor! Heck of a lot more fun than being the interior designer.

At school you could meet people, fall in love, get up to mischief, etc etc. A playable boarding school could be so fun!
Page 2 of 4