Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#51 Old 18th Oct 2013 at 5:19 PM
I'm pretty sure EA fixing all the bugs/glitches in one of their games is one of the signs of the Apocalypse. Time to go hide under the bed, just in case...

Screw it, I'm going to the pub.

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#52 Old 18th Oct 2013 at 5:29 PM
@crin, as shown in the table, the 641 updated files are due to date-time-stamp changes, not content changes per-se. The file sizes for these so-called "updated" files are the same. This particular tool takes differing date-time-stamps as different files.

That's why I do a secondary comparison with another utility that generated the report as shown in image below. This tool does do a content + date-time + filesize comparison. And it flags only those JPGs as being different. In the sense that these 2 files only appear on the right side. While all the other files flagged as "different" just have different date-timestamps again (same conclusion as the first tool's report).

Don't be thrown by numbers, folks. "950 XMLs" are not fixes, they also include the gameplay "enhancements" and "features" with all the PlumBots stuff and more for ITF. Like for Trait chips and what not. Remember that this patch is special! It patches an EP that is not even available, yet!

And I do think that 1.63.4 Incremental for Region 1 is a Superpatch. They compiled and named it wrongly, perhaps? My reasoning is backed up by proof - the updated files show all the languages are "touched", while Region 1 is supposedly only for EL, ES, & FR languages, is it not? See the "\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\bin\*" paths.
Alchemist
#53 Old 18th Oct 2013 at 5:59 PM Last edited by nikel23 : 19th Oct 2013 at 3:57 AM. Reason: Whoops, it should be post-UL, not pre
950 XMLs and ITUNs, and once again, Astronomy and Bot Arena careers do not have impact on university... Nope, you won't get any benefits nor scholarships from working in these careers, despite being rabbit hole careers... Then again, they forgot Education career in the first place. Also, prepost-UL skills won't help you advance in any majors as well.

What a shame. Even TS2 University remembered every single career that's included in all EPs, being the first EP in TS2...

Just call me Nikel
Mad Poster
#54 Old 18th Oct 2013 at 6:15 PM
certain careers are ignored because of how the system is set up. It's not the most modular thing in the world. Astronomy would go great with Science, I guess Bot Arena and technology, Education could go anywhere, really.

But, updating key features isn't something EA cares to do.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Inventor
#55 Old 18th Oct 2013 at 8:02 PM
Here's two answers I got from Russkii

Quote:
alrighty, so i got the answer: The "new" files in the superpatch are simply EA logo graphics that appear when uninstalling certain ep/sp products. They have been included in every superpatch. That's why superpatches are larger. So in short. there are no data differences between the two. The differences are simply minor file changes that result from how the different patches are built.

Quote:
What they tell me is that the patch is bigger for region 1 because they changed one of the package files to address something that affected region 1. however the file changed is not a patch item. it is for building the patch. So yes the patch is the same for all, just for region 1 they had to change one of the files that is used to build it.
Instructor
#56 Old 18th Oct 2013 at 8:39 PM
Thanks for the response, catnip. This patch doesn't entice me, so I am going to wait a longish while before installing any new patches.
Test Subject
#57 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 12:20 AM
Left computer logged in and another member in the house thought it would be "helpful" to update the game :/ Now what do i do about getting all of my CC working again? Le Sigh....
Test Subject
#58 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 12:47 AM
Dummy me installed the update this morning - tried to run the game, got the 'you've got out of date mods blah blah' which I ignored. Ran my saved game for 5 minutes but one sim kept freezing even after being reset so I quit (without saving) and removed all my mods and CC and tried to run the game again and the darn thing keeps crashing during loading the world.

SO! - I do a system restore to go back to the previous version, put my mods back in, still get the 'you've got out of date mods' warning. WTH? So I take out EVERYTHING to start from a clean game and I STILL get the warning and the game crash even though there's NOTHING in the Electronic Arts folder to interfere.

Then I had to go to work. Sigh.

I'll struggle with it some more when I get home, but sometimes I really HATE EA.

Oh, and any suggestions would be welcome as I'm a newbie (this is my first patch since install).
Eminence Grise
#59 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 2:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bholl
Left computer logged in and another member in the house thought it would be "helpful" to update the game :/ Now what do i do about getting all of my CC working again? Le Sigh....

You remove your core, script and XML mods, and check where you got them for updated versions or confirmation that no update is required. Or, you put them back one at a time, checking to make sure they work before adding more.

Quote: Originally posted by khalleron
Dummy me installed the update this morning - tried to run the game, got the 'you've got out of date mods blah blah' which I ignored. Ran my saved game for 5 minutes but one sim kept freezing even after being reset so I quit (without saving) and removed all my mods and CC and tried to run the game again and the darn thing keeps crashing during loading the world.

SO! - I do a system restore to go back to the previous version, put my mods back in, still get the 'you've got out of date mods' warning. WTH? So I take out EVERYTHING to start from a clean game and I STILL get the warning and the game crash even though there's NOTHING in the Electronic Arts folder to interfere.

System Restore will not unpatch TS3. It only restores OS (Windows)-related stuff, it doesn't keep a whole disk image

Never expect your gameplay mods (script/xml/core) to work after any patch, ever >< Ideally you move/disable em all before patching, and only put em back when you know you have an updated version or that no updates are required.

Both of you: You can get more help in the Help Q+A forum... but first, check the Help FAQs, particularly on patching and mods

Edit: also, I'd like to remind people that a mod that's updated for THIS patch still might not work after ITF is installed, if you install it... being compatible with an EP's patch does not guarantee compatibility with the EP.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#60 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 3:09 AM
I am waiting too, well after ITF is released and all mods are cleared. I am enjoying my game too much to mess with it now.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 3:11 AM
What the heck is FSIViewCountTracking?
Scholar
#62 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 3:30 AM
So still no fix for the fallen leaves that never go away in Seasons?

Oh wait, they brushed that aside as a mod issue (when people without mods have clearly indicated they had it too) and forgot about it.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Test Subject
#63 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 3:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
You remove your core, script and XML mods, and check where you got them for updated versions or confirmation that no update is required. Or, you put them back one at a time, checking to make sure they work before adding more.

System Restore will not unpatch TS3. It only restores OS (Windows)-related stuff, it doesn't keep a whole disk image

Never expect your gameplay mods (script/xml/core) to work after any patch, ever >< Ideally you move/disable em all before patching, and only put em back when you know you have an updated version or that no updates are required.

Both of you: You can get more help in the Help Q+A forum... but first, check the Help FAQs, particularly on patching and mods

Edit: also, I'd like to remind people that a mod that's updated for THIS patch still might not work after ITF is installed, if you install it... being compatible with an EP's patch does not guarantee compatibility with the EP.

My game says it's version 1.57 after the System restore.

That still doesn't explain why the game thinks there are mods interfering when there is no mod folder or any other folder in the Electronic Arts folder, or why it crashes when there is no CC of any kind.

If no one has any help about how to FIX it, then it looks like I'm going to have to do a complete reinstall. So folks, anyone who knows something useful, please be useful.

Thanks!
Alchemist
#64 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 4:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
certain careers are ignored because of how the system is set up. It's not the most modular thing in the world. Astronomy would go great with Science, I guess Bot Arena and technology, Education could go anywhere, really.

But, updating key features isn't something EA cares to do.

It's as simple as modifying AcademicDegrees.xml and UniversityWelcomeKit+TakeAptitudeTest.xml. Anyone who has S3PE can do that. After those 950 XMLs and ITUNs, what's so difficult to edit 2 more XMLs and make it 952 in total?

Modifying the strings (when you enroll the university or hover the major, explaining what careers have impact) does require more effort, but I don't care about that. What's so difficult to include those careers, EA! You're the one who created university. You're the one who added more rabbit hole careers. Why don't you put more effort!

Sorry, I'm just frustrated here.

Just call me Nikel
Mad Poster
#65 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 4:45 AM
I'm just wondering why there aren't more careers in general.

University's lacking a lot, but THANK GOD for social groups.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Scholar
#66 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 7:17 AM
we got a new wood texture...which i believe is supposed to come with both a vertical and horizontal texture...and they are both the same
Alchemist
#67 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 7:56 AM
Still nothing for Island Paradise.

Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#68 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 8:41 AM
I've read several reports that this new patch makes Origin mandatory now and does not allow you anymore to bypass the Launcher by starting directly from the exe. Can anyone confirm whether this is really the case? I for one do not have Origin on my computer, am never connected to the net while playing and bypass the Launcher by starting from TS3W.exe? Will I still be able to do this after patching?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#69 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 9:08 AM
Hey babele44. I saw your post at Nraas and Chain_Reaction said she updated but still can use her .exe and bypass the launcher. When I saw your post, I got a bit panicked in my heart. Hope things don't change when I install ITF. Damn you EA! *shakes fist*

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Field Researcher
#70 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 9:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
There was an elevator in University Life?

This is news to me too... I'll wait for a while before updating.
dodgy builder
#71 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 10:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mellowyellow09

I don't like trackers, what is EA tracking? Anything to do with this:

Quote: Originally posted by babele44
I've read several reports that this new patch makes Origin mandatory now and does not allow you anymore to bypass the Launcher by starting directly from the exe. Can anyone confirm whether this is really the case? I for one do not have Origin on my computer, am never connected to the net while playing and bypass the Launcher by starting from TS3W.exe? Will I still be able to do this after patching?
#72 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 10:18 AM Last edited by babele44 : 19th Oct 2013 at 10:44 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
Hey babele44. I saw your post at Nraas and Chain_Reaction said she updated but still can use her .exe and bypass the launcher. When I saw your post, I got a bit panicked in my heart. Hope things don't change when I install ITF. Damn you EA! *shakes fist*
Yeah, I saw that, too. I just hope that it is not a glitch that allows Chain_Reaction to still do this. There were reports similar to this when IP and Movie Stuff were released but they turned out to be false. But it's always a bit difficult to really see what is going on as there are so many different configurations: two base game versions, both either with or without Origin, some installed Origin without realising that they did, some play logged in, some don't, some stay logged-out but remain connected to the net, some have disk copies, some digital downloads, some a mixture of both. Now who among these got screwed with this patch and who didn't?

Edit: I always panic at moments like these because of Awesome's expiry date. But I just looked and the current version is valid until Dec 23. Well, I guess that gives me enough time to check out all the bug reports, wait for all mods to be properly updated, and maybe there will already be another patch ready by that time and (try to) fix whatever this one broke again. :D

Quote: Originally posted by Mellowyellow09
What is that? A new file in Documents? Maybe it's for Featured Store Items? Apparently there is again another button somewhere that links to the Store now.
Alchemist
#73 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 10:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by babele44
What is that? A new file in Documents? Maybe it's for Featured Store Items? Apparently there is again another button somewhere that links to the Store now.

That actually makes sense, considering there's a new "feature" for the store item to appear in the notification area, or sort of that.

Just call me Nikel
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#74 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 11:07 AM
A few pages back in the ITF thread, there was an image from a broadcast about ITF, showing a new tab with the simoleons sign on the notifications box. Gosh, this makes me feel sick. How much more do we need to be invaded with unwanted advertising from the store or anything else? Please let an option be available to shut that shit off.

Now will people see how this is being implemented in Sims 3, in Sims 4 the ads will be worst a nd using all types if resources to bring it up? There is already a large amount of disc space for the damn images that don't go away for me, even if I make the folder read only. It's getting ridiculous!

#75 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 1:43 PM
Here's a thread from the officials about that button: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/po.../15/718881.page
Page 3 of 7