Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Transparency Fix: Mel's 3t2 Braided Bun

by Nysha Posted 21st May 2014 at 3:59 AM - Updated 21st May 2014 at 4:18 AM by Nysha

11 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 4 Feedback Posts, 6 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 21st May 2014 at 4:14 AM
Yay! No more transparencies! Thank you so much for fixing this <3 I really appreciate it~ :lovestruc

Here and back and then again... rinse, lather, repeat...
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#3 Old 21st May 2014 at 5:58 AM
excuse me... this came with sims 3 university life... I love it! i always wanted to have that hair in sims 2 hit the crap outta dat download button
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#4 Old 21st May 2014 at 8:07 AM
You learned to fix the transparency problem? You're a wizard!
If you care to share the knowledge, I know quite a few creators who would love to help fix these things.
Thanks so much!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#5 Old 21st May 2014 at 9:00 AM
Ooooh, wonderful! I love 3t2 hairs, but the opacity issues are oftne a dealbreaker for me. Would you maybe consider writing a tutorial on how to do it? c:
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st May 2014 at 11:09 AM
Yep, I'll be writing a tutorial shortly. I just need to remember how I did one of the steps, because it was a while ago.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Theorist
THANKS POST
#7 Old 21st May 2014 at 12:55 PM
Thank you for this!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#8 Old 22nd May 2014 at 4:00 PM
Can't wait for the turtorial - Made some hair conversions myself, still dealing with transparancy issues. Lovely hair, by the way
Field Researcher
#9 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 9:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Yep, I'll be writing a tutorial shortly. I just need to remember how I did one of the steps, because it was a while ago.

Any chance you posted that somewhere? I'm pretty darn curious what's up with these transparencies.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 9:45 PM
I didn't, 'cause, well... it turned out to be more complex than I thought. :P

It's basically the same as TS3 hairs: the vertices have to be in the right order. You can see in Milkshape, by applying a texture, whether or not your hair is gonna have transparency issues.

The problem is that to fix issues for TS2 hairs, you need to change the order of the groups so that the "lowest" group (the one which is underneath everything else) has the lowest alpha value (e.g. it's hair_alpha1), next one out is hair_alpha3 and so on. But splitting a TS3 mesh into groups is a gigantic pain in the arse. I use UniMesh Make Smoothing groups in Milkshape, which works for some hairs but chokes on very complex ones. Mel/rented-space uses a Blender feature I think, I don't know if it's better at complex shapes than UniMesh, but I'm sure she'd explain if you asked on her tumblr. And of course, once you've split your mesh into a bazillionty groups, you then have to reconcile it down to a more sensible number of groups, which can be tricky when you have lots of overlapping mesh parts, and just... argh!

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 4:58 AM
Nice jobb fixing this hair. I was just about to delete it. Thank you very much.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#12 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 12:36 AM
Thank you so much! I've seen this hair in legacys of Sims 3 and now I can have it in The Sims 2 *o*