Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 5:35 PM Last edited by justJones : 9th Dec 2014 at 3:58 AM.
Default Moving On Up Challenge
Moving On Up Challenge

I was inspired by the earlier console versions of the Sims, where you advanced in the world by completing goals in each house.

Main Goal: Move in with every family in town, complete each house's goals, and then move into your own home!

Sims: You will be making 3 sims (2 separate households though)
  • You and Mom: Make your sim however you'd like them. Young adult, male or female, whatever Aspiration and traits you like. I highly suggest the "Friend to the World" Aspiration, as you will need to make a lot of friends in this challenge. Now make your sim's mom. She is an elder and may look however you want. Mom must have the "Successful Lineage" Aspiration and the Family-Oriented, Cheerful and Neat traits. Move them into the Daisy Hovel.
  • Mimi/Dudley: Make another sim, the same gender as your sim. They don't have to be named Mimi or Dudley, that's just who they were in the consoles Young adult, they can look however you like, but must have the "Party Animal" Aspiration and Slob, Lazy and Outgoing traits. Move this sim into the Crick Cabana.

The Challenge: Now the fun begins! You'll live in Willow Creek. You will start at Mom's house and make friends and move your way through the town till you eventually end up with your own place! You must move in the order bellow. Each house has it's own set of goals and rules.

General Rules:
  • No cheats/hacks that make life easier; money, mood, relationship etc.
  • You may only control your sim.
  • Full autonomy must be on.
  • No maids, until I say it's allowed.
  • You will be required to build Cooking, Logic, Charisma, Handiness, and Fitness in this challenge, as well as one other of your choice. I suggest making it one that will help in your career of choice. Your "Other Skill" will be referred to as "OS" in the rest of this challenge. You will be maxing it out by the end. You can build whatever other skills you wish, but the 5 I listed plus your OS will be required. (You may find that you have already met some skill needs for a house before you get there, simply by everyday life, especially the cooking skill. But that's fine, as long as you have them before you leave that house, it doesn't matter if you had them before you moved in )
I also suggest playing with long lifespans, but it's up to you.

The only way to "lose" is if your sim dies, from any cause, before they get their own house.

Your "Journey"
You can't choose to "move out on your own" as you could in the previous sims games, and it took me a while to figure out how to split a household (either I'm slow or EA hid it pretty well), so I am going to explain it for those who don't know how.
  • From the Map view, click on the lot you're currently living in, and click the three dots for more options.
  • Click the two "peg people" to "Manage Household".
  • Click the two arrows to "Transfer Sims"
  • Click the Willow Creek dropdown on the right and select the household you are moving to.
  • Click your sim and then the arrow to the right.
  • Click the check and you're good to go.
  • For the last move to your own place, instead of clicking the Willow Creek dropdown, you will click the plus sign above that column to add a new household.

I've put each house's rules and goals under a spoiler, because you are not supposed to look at each house until you have moved there. That way you don't know what you will need to do till you get there, as it was in the console games You can look ahead if you really want to, but that spoils half the fun.

The goals get increasingly difficult as you go. But if it were too easy, it wouldn't be very fun now would it?

You did it! You get to move into your own house! Finally!
At this point you have won, and may use money cheats if you want to build/buy your dream house. You can keep playing your sim and live out the rest of their life however you choose, or start all over with a new sim if you liked the challenge enough

I hope you like this challenge, I'm about halfway through it and am having a lot of fun!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 6:12 PM
It sounds like a lot of fun. I'll have to put this on my "to do" list because I'm juggling
5 challenges right now. Reminds me of my days spent playing sims 2 on my friends
playstation 2. I would come over to her house after school, and we would
play co-op for hours. Good times.

Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
Simblr
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 7:31 PM Last edited by justJones : 24th Nov 2014 at 7:45 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by MissChevus
Reminds me of my days spent playing sims 2 on my friends
playstation 2. I would come over to her house after school, and we would
play co-op for hours. Good times.

Thanks, that's what I was going for I played every console Sims/Sims 2 game they made, and loved them.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 6th Dec 2014 at 9:13 PM
Since I finally finished my Animal Crossing challenge, I decided to give this one a go.
This is my challenge sim Bella Valentia.

She lost her mom at the young age of 15 when she got hit by a bullet that was meant to
kill her father. Bella's dad was a high-ranking mob boss until he was recently sent to jail for
racketeering. Bella had always had the best of everything as she was always treated like a
princess and showered with gifts. Now with her mom passed away and her dad in prison,
Bella was on her own with no clue how to survive in the real world. She was sent to live
with her aunt, Cecilia Vici, since she was her last living relative.

Bella hated her aunt's tiny, cramped house almost as much as she hated moving away
from Sim City to the small town of Willow Creek. All she knew is that she needed to make as
many friends as possible so she won't be stuck living with her aunt forever. As the days
dragged on, Bella got to know her aunt and was surprised that she actually started to like
her. Aunt Cecilia taught Bella how to cook and told her about her dream of opening her
own restaurant. It wasn't long til Bella and her aunt became best friends.

The next day, Bella visited the neighborhood garden to pick some herbs and vegetables for
Aunt Cecilia who was planning on making Bella favorite dish, lobster tortellini. While she was
there chatting up the neighbors, she met an interesting woman there named Mimi Landgraab.
Bella really admired Mimi's fashion sense and began talking with her about where she got
her outfit. The two girls soon became friends, and Bella invited Mimi over to Aunt Cecilia's house.

Bella demonstrated her gourmet cooking skills to Mimi by fixing them some pasta primavera
while her aunt was out grocery shopping. Mimi gobbled it all up and let out a noxious cloud of gas
as the two girls laughed. Mimi said that it was the best meal she had eaten in a while

Mimi decided to spend the whole day hanging out with Bella. Mimi told her about her
wealthy family and her party girl lifestyle. All of this sounded like a dream come true for Bella.
By the time, Aunt Cecilia served up the lobster tortellini, Bella and Mimi had became good friends.

The next day, Bella heard a knock at the door. She looked out the window and there was Mimi
smiling back at her from behind the glass. Bella was happy to see Mimi, but she had to cut Mimi's
visit short because she got work as a dishwasher at a local cafe. Before Mimi left, she asked Bella
if she wanted to live with her. Bella was about to say yes, but Mimi then told her that the house they
would be living in wouldn't be nice like the Landgraab family's home. Bella didn't care. She said yes anyway.

Mimi decided to have a barbecue at the neighborhood hangout to celebrate Bella's decision to
move in with her. While Bella was munching on a veggie burger, she spotted a handsome guy coming
toward her. Bella found out later that his name was Travis, and that he lived with his best friends.
She really liked Travis, so she started flirting with him. By the end of the party, Bella and Travis were
kissing for the first time.

to be continued...

Simblr
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Dec 2014 at 12:34 AM
What a great story you've got going! And I can tell you are familiar with Mimi She looks great!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 7th Dec 2014 at 7:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by justJones
What a great story you've got going! And I can tell you are familiar with Mimi She looks great!

Thanks. I'm not that good of a writer, but I like to think of interesting background stories for my challenge sims. I read up on
Mimi on the sims wiki and tried making a sim that looked like her. I'm glad you like how she turned out. Right now, Bella is
living with the BFFs, but she'll soon be moving in with the pancakes after she becomes friends with Eliza.

Simblr
Test Subject
#7 Old 17th Feb 2015 at 7:30 PM
This is the first challenge I've done all the way through. Great Job! It was detailed enough to keep me busy but not so involved that I lost interest. I hope you make more challenges
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Feb 2015 at 7:32 PM
Thanks! Glad you liked it, hzav!
Test Subject
#9 Old 17th Feb 2015 at 10:25 PM
This sounds very interesting. I'm going to have to try this on my spare time
Test Subject
#10 Old 20th Jan 2016 at 7:25 AM
Really loving this challenge! But quick question, what do you mean by OS? :o
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Jan 2016 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by justJones
You will be required to build Cooking, Logic, Charisma, Handiness, and Fitness in this challenge, as well as one other of your choice. I suggest making it one that will help in your career of choice. Your "Other Skill" will be referred to as "OS" in the rest of this challenge. You will be maxing it out by the end. You can build whatever other skills you wish, but the 5 I listed plus your OS will be required. (You may find that you have already met some skill needs for a house before you get there, simply by everyday life, especially the cooking skill. But that's fine, as long as you have them before you leave that house, it doesn't matter if you had them before you moved in )

OS is the "free skill" whatever you choose from any of the skills that aren't required.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 11:53 PM
Oo! Might have to add this to my entirely-out-of-hand list of challenges. I have all the worlds, so I might even decide that the Sim I choose finds herself loving the drifter lifestyle and live in every pre-genned household in the game before finally settling down.
Test Subject
#13 Old 19th Dec 2021 at 9:05 AM
Default Loving this challenge
I'm halfway through this one, and it's been great. Weirdly because of the mods I have installed, every household has been slightly different from expected - Mimi had hooked up with Knox Greenberg and they were having a baby, and Travis and Summer had moved out because Liberty was having a baby with Paolo Rocca. My sim visited the Pancakes to get to know them and Bob's up the duff! And because I have Sims National Bank, my sim is paying 50% of her wages as rent into the household and saving 50% to buy her house with.
What's lovely about the challenge is that it really makes you get out and interact with NPCs. Thanks, it's a really great challenge.