Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jul 2015 at 7:00 PM
Default Whats the deal with Newsea, Peggy, etc?
Why are they so bad? Newsea, Peggy, Skysims... Are they just doing it for money? The only good artist on TSR is Nightcrawler, who I can't find anywhere else.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Jul 2015 at 7:14 PM
Are Newsea hairs bad? I like a lot of them.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jul 2015 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoseCity
Are Newsea hairs bad? I like a lot of them.

Really, really bad boning.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 15th Jul 2015 at 8:45 PM
It's a matter of taste. I don't like a fair few of their hairs either, but that's my preference. The creators and the people who download them obviously think otherwise.
Alchemist
#5 Old 15th Jul 2015 at 9:34 PM
Well, to be honest, I would say they do do it for the money. Peggy's site has been down for a long time, so she might've retired.

I think the animosity (?) that people used to have towards them goes way back when paysites played a more important role in the Sims community. Sure, TSR was the biggest paysite out there, and Newsea used to submit their hairs there as well. With TSR going free, Newsea opted to continue their pay-to-use MO on their own site.

You've probably noticed that the older hairs on TSR have "FREE" in the title somewhere. This is because the nicer hairs would be locked away behind a pay-to-use wall, while the often less detailed (read: uglier) hairs served as an incentive for people to move on to the nicer ones. Not to mention the fact that the community had to rely on a few people who would purchase these hairs and pass them on to retexturers/hosts, often having to remove certain "trackers" embedded within the files (so the pay artist would know who shared the files).

From random accounts by retexturers/mesh fixers, Newsea and Peggy meshes apparently have a lot of issues too, most probably resulting from their tendency to pump out hairs very often (~2 per week, IIRC).

Personally, I find most of SkySims's hairs ugly and unusable; no one's hair is perpetually swaying in the wind. However, they may be important for storytellers to make the sims interact with their background more. It's kind of jarring when a sim bends over or moves and the hair remains stiff.

As for Nightcrawler, you can find plenty of retextures of his hairs on Tumblr, by literally Googling "Nightcrawler name of hair retexture".
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Jul 2015 at 11:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Isn't making people pay for mods/cc a violation of EA's EULA?

Sadly, no.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 12:35 AM
Really? I could've sworn it was. o_o
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 12:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BL00DIEDHELL
Really? I could've sworn it was. o_o

Yeah.. Since its an original mesh, and not a recolor of their items, It's fine.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 12:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
Well, to be honest, I would say they do do it for the money. Peggy's site has been down for a long time, so she might've retired.

I think the animosity (?) that people used to have towards them goes way back when paysites played a more important role in the Sims community. Sure, TSR was the biggest paysite out there, and Newsea used to submit their hairs there as well. With TSR going free, Newsea opted to continue their pay-to-use MO on their own site.

You've probably noticed that the older hairs on TSR have "FREE" in the title somewhere. This is because the nicer hairs would be locked away behind a pay-to-use wall, while the often less detailed (read: uglier) hairs served as an incentive for people to move on to the nicer ones. Not to mention the fact that the community had to rely on a few people who would purchase these hairs and pass them on to retexturers/hosts, often having to remove certain "trackers" embedded within the files (so the pay artist would know who shared the files).

From random accounts by retexturers/mesh fixers, Newsea and Peggy meshes apparently have a lot of issues too, most probably resulting from their tendency to pump out hairs very often (~2 per week, IIRC).

Personally, I find most of SkySims's hairs ugly and unusable; no one's hair is perpetually swaying in the wind. However, they may be important for storytellers to make the sims interact with their background more. It's kind of jarring when a sim bends over or moves and the hair remains stiff.

As for Nightcrawler, you can find plenty of retextures of his hairs on Tumblr, by literally Googling "Nightcrawler name of hair retexture".

Newsea, Skysims, and Peggy have VERY bad textures. Bad boning, bad textures, bad clipping, bad sizing.. You can read Anubis and Moose complaining about their bad textures/cliping/boning/etc often
Instructor
#11 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 12:59 AM Last edited by CooCooCoo : 16th Jul 2015 at 1:24 AM.
Newsea har looks good on their site but when I donwload it, it looks nothing like that. The textures are ugly and the meshes are too big for my sim's head. I always feel like i'm doing it wrong lol

edit:

Skysims expectation:

Reality

My simblr AsdSims
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 2:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CooCooCoo
Newsea har looks good on their site but when I donwload it, it looks nothing like that. The textures are ugly and the meshes are too big for my sim's head. I always feel like i'm doing it wrong lol

edit:

Skysims expectation:

Reality

Yeah.. Thats the thing that bothers me most about Newsea and Skysims.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 2:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by neontardis
Newsea, Skysims, and Peggy have VERY bad textures. Bad boning, bad textures, bad clipping, bad sizing.. You can read Anubis and Moose complaining about their bad textures/cliping/boning/etc often

Okay, they're complaining, but can they make a hair? Or do they fix and 'retexture' existing hairs? It's easy to criticize. I don't have a clue how to make a hair and EA hairs are really atrocious, so I'm not going to be too critical about the Newsea hairs.
Instructor
#14 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 2:49 AM
Not all of it is bad, some hits, some misses. I do admit that I rarely download directly from Newsea and company and usually go for retextures and edits. That way I can avoid this
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 3:09 AM
Okay, they're complaining, but can they make a hair? Or do they fix and 'retexture' existing hairs? It's easy to criticize. I don't have a clue how to make a hair and EA hairs are really atrocious, so I'm not going to be too critical about the Newsea hairs.

Anubis makes *gorgeous* hairs. Moose's customs are better than Skysims and all them.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 4:00 AM
Well, I have a few hair that I never use..but still. I cannot create hair myself as of now so...meanwhile, I won't complain.
I just wish I had their talent.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Alchemist
#17 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 7:14 AM
@CooCooCoo
I don't bother much with SkySims hairs, but that hair looks worse in the preview pic than in your game, IMO. I don't know if it's a lighting problem in CAS or the way a lot of these hair creators do their textures/highlights, but I hate that white sheen down the back of the sim (or whichever side happens to face the mirror). Aside from the loose hair at the top of the head and a white patch near the ear, it doesn't look bad at all IMO. At least it doesn't look like the sim has another head on top, lol.

IMO it's not really fair to say that we shouldn't be allowed to voice negative opinions on them. After all, we're the people this product was made for. We are the ones using it. And let's not forget that, in some cases, it is a paid product (though like 99.5% of the community gets it for free). Even if you get something for free, no one should prevent you from pointing out its flaws (maybe aside from gifts, but this isn't a gift situation).

Not to mention the fact that you can help someone else out by doing this. I watched a video a while ago - can't remember where it was - where the speaker used one of these people's hairs to point out mistakes with the mesh. In this case, it was overlapping planes that created useless polygons, which in turn lead to the hair being unnecessarily cluttered and presenting more of a problem for people's computers (one hair may not do a lot of damage, but when you have 1+ GB of hair like me, things like this start to add up).

Edit - found the video: Demystifying the polycount
Mad Poster
#18 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 8:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
@CooCooCoo
I don't bother much with SkySims hairs, but that hair looks worse in the preview pic than in your game, IMO. I don't know if it's a lighting problem in CAS or the way a lot of these hair creators do their textures/highlights, but I hate that white sheen down the back of the sim (or whichever side happens to face the mirror). Aside from the loose hair at the top of the head and a white patch near the ear, it doesn't look bad at all IMO. At least it doesn't look like the sim has another head on top, lol.

IMO it's not really fair to say that we shouldn't be allowed to voice negative opinions on them. After all, we're the people this product was made for. We are the ones using it. And let's not forget that, in some cases, it is a paid product (though like 99.5% of the community gets it for free). Even if you get something for free, no one should prevent you from pointing out its flaws (maybe aside from gifts, but this isn't a gift situation).

Not to mention the fact that you can help someone else out by doing this. I watched a video a while ago - can't remember where it was - where the speaker used one of these people's hairs to point out mistakes with the mesh. In this case, it was overlapping planes that created useless polygons, which in turn lead to the hair being unnecessarily cluttered and presenting more of a problem for people's computers (one hair may not do a lot of damage, but when you have 1+ GB of hair like me, things like this start to add up).

Edit - found the video: Demystifying the polycount

When did I say you shouldn't be 'allowed to voice negative opinions'? I said it was easy to complain. (About something people get for free in most cases. ) And I said that I'm not going to be too critical. Complain away by all means.
Alchemist
#19 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 9:08 AM
When did I say you shouldn't be 'allowed to voice negative opinions'? I said it was easy to complain. (About something people get for free in most cases. ) And I said that I'm not going to be too critical. Complain away by all means.

Ah, I assumed it was along the lines of "they don't make hairs so they shouldn't criticize". Sorry 'bout that, my bad.
As far as I have seen - no, they don't actually make the hairs.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#20 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 10:09 AM
I think part of it is just that making a hair mesh from scratch is a LOT of work. You can make it so, so much easier on yourself by doing very rough bone assignments, using turbosmooth instead of meshing it yourself (which is why you end up with poly counts that are like three times what they should be), not doing morphs etc. It's not what I would do but I can understand why someone might skip the details when they realise just how many damn hours of work they'd have to do otherwise, especially if they only take pics and don't really play, so they don't get annoyed by borked anims and so on. There's a reason why the really awesome from-scratch hair meshers mostly only have 10-100 meshes, after all.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#21 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 11:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by neontardis
Yeah.. Since its an original mesh, and not a recolor of their items, It's fine.

I'm just going to leave this here:

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts,
To answer your question: Yes, running a paysite featuring content for the Sims 2 is considered to be a violation of both the Electronic Arts TOS and copyright law. This includes both content that is sold directly and content that is offered as part of a subscription service. Additionally, the intent behind providing these tools to the Sims 2 community was to promote the sharing of content, not commercial activity. If you know of a site that is offering Sims 2 content as a pay service, we would ask that you please let us know so that we can take the appropriate steps to address the situation.

EA Rep Fenris
Player Relations
Electronic Arts

Make of that what you will, neontardis. Sounds to me like EA isn't ok with custom content being sold. But what do I know, I'm just a creator that routinely gives away her completely new meshes for free.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 1:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz

To answer your question: Yes, running a paysite featuring content for the Sims 2 is considered to be a violation of both the Electronic Arts TOS and copyright law. This includes both content that is sold directly and content that is offered as part of a subscription service. Additionally, the intent behind providing these tools to the Sims 2 community was to promote the sharing of content, not commercial activity. If you know of a site that is offering Sims 2 content as a pay service, we would ask that you please let us know so that we can take the appropriate steps to address the situation.

EA Rep Fenris
Player Relations
Electronic Arts

Make of that what you will, neontardis. Sounds to me like EA isn't ok with custom content being sold. But what do I know, I'm just a creator that routinely gives away her completely new meshes for free.

And yet TSR sold it for all those years without any consequence.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#23 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 1:53 PM
@RoseCity
Funny you should mention that since it was a TSR member who contacted EA. That member then posted that on TSR and got banned for it. (This was in 2007.) And it's long been rumored that TSR and EA are "buddies".
Mad Poster
#24 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Eronel
Not all of it is bad, some hits, some misses. I do admit that I rarely download directly from Newsea and company and usually go for retextures and edits.

Yeah, on the Newsea hairs I do like, retextures are definitely the way to go; her textures make the hairstyles appear to be in desperate need of a washing IMO.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 5:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz

EA Rep Fenris
Player Relations
Electronic Arts

Ah, I saw on WCIF thread (they were trying to find a pay hair for free) that paysites were, sadly, legal for the reasons I mentioned. I saw this a few times, so I assumed it to be true.
Page 1 of 2