Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 5:44 PM
Default Origin wants to update... every day!
I may have damaged my Origin install. Or maybe Origin is having a series of updates that are buggy.

Anyone else been getting this every time they start the game for the last few days?

I let it update the first time. But it keeps saying it has another update. Is it just me? Is this some sort of reprisal for my disdain for Origin and their business practices? Am I paranoid?

Whatever. How do I get it to stop? I don't want to update Origin every day nor do I want to shut off the network every time I play.
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 6:55 PM
You're not the only one. I have this very issue as well. Doesn't matter if I install it, the next day I boost up Origin it just asks for it again. For some reason the same thing happens with Steam as well. So something tells me Origin (and steam in my case) are just 'looking' for updates to download but don't really update itself, unless it really wants to. At least that's what it looks like to me.
Scholar
#3 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 7:41 PM
I'm not getting that. Just now I checked to see what version I'm on, and I notice that Origin is in offline mode, though I don't remember putting it there and I am most definitely online. But I'm going to leave it there at least until I hear from you that your problems have blown over. I'm on version 9.12.2.60376 - 453593, which I guess means I've been in offline mode for quite a while. It's pretty peaceful!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 10:14 PM

Origin is defiantly up to something. They want to make sure everyone gets the "Origin Experience". I thought they wanted to sell games.

Part of my problem is that I flubbed up and installed Sims 3 1.69. What happened is my old computer burned out, got a new one, and stupidly did a complete Origin install instead of from CD Rom install. So, now if I go back to 1.67, (and avoiding Origin and the sim 3 launcher entirely in starting the game) I'll lose all my DC.

Yes, the "Origin Experience" seems to be "start Origin, Start Launcher, Start Sims" rather than just "start sims" that can be done with Sims 1.67 . I'm not bitter, but I'm not interested in Sims 4, or in all their kill 'em all, shoot 'em up, blood everywhere MMO pay-to-play games they're selling. Not what I want to do. So, I don't need their advertising, and advertising is all that 1.69 is about. If they make a sim 5 - or even new content for Sims 3, then yeah, advertise me.

Maybe they are doing multiple revisions to Origin; the "opps!" factor. Or maybe some Origin exec keeps thinking of new ways to advertise games I don't want.
Scholar
#5 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 10:25 PM
I have 1.69 also. Have you tried setting Origin to offline mode?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
I have 1.69 also. Have you tried setting Origin to offline mode?

Yes. But it goes back on line by itself the next time I start it. It didn't used to do that. In the past, if you set it up as offline, it would stay offline.
Scholar
#7 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 12:09 AM
Huh. I wonder why mine is staying offline (especially since I don't remember putting it there)? I hope someone knowledgeable about this comes in and helps you!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 3:26 AM
I let it update this morning. Then it allowed me straight in after that. I thought "maybe it was the last time, and it's all okay now".

Well, that's a big bucket of nope.

I'm not bitter.
Scholar
#9 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 10:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
So, now if I go back to 1.67, (and avoiding Origin and the sim 3 launcher entirely in starting the game) I'll lose all my DC.

With DC, do you mean the stuff you can get through the store, either free, paid or connected to EPs? You not necessarily need Origin to download it, you can do it the "old" way through your TS3 account and the launcher. I also have all my store files saved and so far I was always able to install them again.

The horizon of many people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call this their point of view. - Albert Einstein
Arathea's Area @ TFM's Sims Asylum - TS2 & TS3 Stuff
Mad Poster
#10 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 11:13 AM
Same same. I've been using the new interface for a while now (it's not as good as the old one but not awful) and it just wants to update every day.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#11 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 12:32 PM
I have origin on two computers and only one of them wants to update constantly. It's the one where I supposedly have a beta version of the new Origin and I was chosen to test it. (I didn't ask for this)
So I think maybe all those updates have something to do with them trying to introduce the new version of Origin. IDK...
Before the update I had some Origin points and now I have none. You can't use those points for anything as far as I know but still it annoyed me that they disappeared. And the worst thing is that you can't just say no. When the update already pops up you either update or run it in the offline mode... So I had to update to this beta version in order to install my game. After that I went to the options menu and I turned off the beta testing immediately. No thanks, I got enough problems.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 1:35 PM
Ah! I did see some statement about a beta version: "The new Origin experience is now in beta". I bet you figured out my problem lexlu: I've chosen poorly.

Space Pony
#13 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 11:22 PM
I keep getting the message to update origin. I have yet to update... mostly because I'm too lazy and I'm still irked about the 1.69 update. Anyway I haven't had any problems not updating origin.
dodgy builder
#14 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 10:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lexylu
I have origin on two computers and only one of them wants to update constantly. It's the one where I supposedly have a beta version of the new Origin and I was chosen to test it. (I didn't ask for this)
So I think maybe all those updates have something to do with them trying to introduce the new version of Origin. IDK...
Before the update I had some Origin points and now I have none. You can't use those points for anything as far as I know but still it annoyed me that they disappeared. And the worst thing is that you can't just say no. When the update already pops up you either update or run it in the offline mode... So I had to update to this beta version in order to install my game. After that I went to the options menu and I turned off the beta testing immediately. No thanks, I got enough problems.

I had a similar message now, and was wondering if this might be something I should stay off. I will click on offline then. I had the option of "Koble fra", but then I have to insert the password again
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 11:42 AM
It updated for me, and...well, one problem I hadn't had in a long time was freezes, where the game stays open but just gets stuck. It updated, it's running more processes now, and...suddenly my game now freezes up, which hadn't been a problem in months. If you're asked, I strongly suggest you don't let it update.

Friends don't let friends use EA Story.

Use either Awesome or Twallan's.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 12:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ruffdog24
Anyway I haven't had any problems not updating origin.

It's not a problem if you run Origin offline. But being online forces an update. There's no avoiding it in the online mode.
Scholar
#17 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 3:21 PM Last edited by lucy kemnitzer : 15th Sep 2016 at 3:22 PM. Reason: staircase wit
I just got a message from Origin telling me there is a critical update and I should go into online mode and allow it. Given thatg there appears to be something very very wrong with the update, I'm staying in offline mode until it's fixed.

edited to add: yes, I'm aware that that could mean playing in offline mode forever or until Origin decides to actually disallow it.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 5:29 PM
I think offline mode is great. I don't need to see origin's ad page, then the ads on the sims 3 launcher, and then when playing the sims all their ads for custom content every time I'm at the dresser.

Good news: It stopped updating! Now I have experienced the "Origin Experience". Meh. It beats going to the dentist, but as far as it goes, I'd rather watch Gilligan's Island - and I don't watch Gilligan's Island...
dodgy builder
#19 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 6:14 PM
I had problems with sims4 and had to reconnect to even log on. Then I had this message about choosing language for Sims 3, no don't think so ... I pressed abort.

Oh geeeez, they have interactive blurbs, I'm much impressed ... not. Register now? for what? Doesn't help much on the lack of trust for EA though, not at all.
Scholar
#20 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 6:37 PM
"Origin Experience" I'm hesitating what kind of movie could have such title. Or I'm just afraid of, it's like numerous faces of Electronics Arts with Bella producing an alien thing. Kinda. Or worse. x.x

and it was (Origin I mean) so interesting company once... /sigh

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Inventor
#21 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 6:45 PM
I have the perfect solution for all your Origin problems:

Instructor
#22 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 1:11 AM
I deleted Origin because it took over my Steam Launcher and yet wouldn't acknowledge my games bought on steam.
And yes I realize that Origin has always done that, but if it feels the need to cease control of my steam game it could at least have the decencey to acknowledge the expacs I bought

Since it wouldn't I had to delete it, and I doubt I'll be buying any Origin/EA products in the future. Which is ashame because as annoying as Origin is and as Schemeing as EA is they do occassionally manage to produce good games. But I can't have a program on my computer that just does whatever it wants, that's one step away from intentionally downloading a virus.

Basically what I'm saying is: Origin is always up to something you can't trust it, so I suggest deleting it.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 3:04 AM Last edited by Emmett Brown : 16th Sep 2016 at 3:21 AM.

Origin anticipated their customers disdain for the "Origin Experience", and made it so you cannot delete the Origin program.

Edit: The Origin Experience is not unlike the Rimmer Experience,

You experience it, so you don't miss it, at all.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#24 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 6:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown

Edit: The Origin Experience is not unlike the Rimmer Experience,

Lab Assistant
#25 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 8:16 AM
If you have an older computer be wary of their new update, my daughter just updated orgin on her sims 3 lil computer last night with that thing and now she cant even get to the log-on page. It say her systems hardware is not compatible with orgin anymore. I contacted orgin customer service to see if I could get a rollback and and older version of orgin but she couldn't help. Tried to restore - that didnt work either. I finally dug around and found an old version of origin on hers but after installing that it forced the new update which makes her computer officially too old for the new origin version 10.0. I will just have to uninstall orgin and/or mess around with some kind of bypass again to avoid origin altogether in order for her to even play sims 3. ...and I don't know if that'll work this time because her late night expansion is newer. So my advice don't update orgin to avoid what I'm going through... - she has a windows 7 ultimate
Page 1 of 2