Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

"Chips" to "Crisps" Text Replacement for UK Players.

by Menaceman44 Posted 17th Oct 2016 at 1:46 PM - Updated 27th Jul 2021 at 4:30 PM by Menaceman44 : Updated File

36 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 13 Feedback Posts, 22 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 2
Test Subject
#2 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 2:08 PM
It's odd that they don't localize things like that for you. However those triangle chips, which are technically tortilla chips, being called chips is accurate.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#3 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 3:27 PM
As person that prefers UK English more, I quite like this. Thanks for the creation.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#4 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 5:35 PM
haha i'm in uk..the differences never really bothered me, i knew what it meant.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 10:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloodravenD
It's odd that they don't localize things like that for you. However those triangle chips, which are technically tortilla chips, being called chips is accurate.

A big problem would be that other countries that officially use UK English (Australia, for example), still use a hell of a lot of American words.
We Aussies call crisps AND French fries "chips", we don't know what a "lorry" is, we ride the "elevator", but our mothers are still called "mum" and we "realise" that "biscuit" is the correct word for "cookie" and that MTS uses the "colour" blue in its layout.

So I guess it's just one of those things that is incredibly difficult for EA to get right.
Instructor
#6 Old 18th Oct 2016 at 2:03 AM Last edited by parkjoonho : 18th Oct 2016 at 5:57 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by danburite2
A big problem would be that other countries that officially use UK English (Australia, for example), still use a hell of a lot of American words.
We Aussies call crisps AND French fries "chips", we don't know what a "lorry" is, we ride the "elevator", but our mothers are still called "mum" and we "realise" that "biscuit" is the correct word for "cookie" and that MTS uses the "colour" blue in its layout.

So I guess it's just one of those things that is incredibly difficult for EA to get right.

Interesting! But I don't think it's that kind of difficult. It's just not necessary.
It reminds me that in The Sims1, there were 2 local versions for the users from English speaking country. Versions of UK & US English.
I still remembered that the 1st EP of The Sims1
Titled "Livin' Large" officially for US version. & "Live it up" officially for UK version.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Oct 2016 at 1:58 PM
While we're on the topic, "Sims Vacation" was also called "Sims On Holiday" in the UK.
I realise this wasn't a "required" mod and I knew exactly what was meant by "chips" in the game. I'm just quite picky with little things like this and thought others may find a use for it too.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Scholar
THANKS POST
#8 Old 19th Oct 2016 at 1:46 AM
I, for one, share your pedantic pet peeves, so thanks for this mod!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#9 Old 19th Oct 2016 at 11:57 AM
It's worth noting that, here in Italy, we are taught British English - considered the "true English", even if this theory is pretty weak - at school, but nobody uses the word "crisps" instead of "chips". One of the most important Italian brands in this sector is called Amica Chips ("Friend Chips"), and everybody translates our word, "patatine", with "chips". You can easily understand how messy it is for us non-English speakers when English speakers use words from their local way of speaking that we were not aware of at school! Despite the UK English predominance at school, I would use the word "truck" instead of "lorry" because it is the one I have heard/read the most, with the result that I speak and write English in a mixed UK/US fashion :S
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#10 Old 19th Oct 2016 at 6:23 PM
One of my pet hates, thanks mate.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#11 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 8:18 PM
Are chips the same colour as crisps or are they a different color? lol. Thanks for the mod. It makes smile a bit every time my sims eat some crisps.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#12 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 7:05 PM
I never comment, but bless you for this mod. Every time I order "chips" at the bar I expect a newspaper bag full of ones from the chipshop lmao. How British am I. Cheers mate. <3
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 8:36 AM
Thank you for this mod! It's never bothered me before, but I definitely prefer having my sims eat crisps ^__^ (especially when 'fish and chips' is a meal option????)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#14 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 9:05 PM
Thanks so much for this mod!
Test Subject
#15 Old 10th Nov 2016 at 4:09 PM
Thank u
Geez I have never been this happy 'bout a mod just thank you thank you
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#16 Old 24th Nov 2016 at 9:39 PM
RULE BRITANNIA thanks for this :')
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#17 Old 26th Nov 2016 at 2:50 AM
It's not that EA can't get it right, it's that they don't care enough. Personally my pet peeve (well, other then the ridiculous imperial system and americans not using aluminium and them having that retarded date system) is not calling them capsicum. Or calling kiwifruit kiwis. Kiwis are an animal. If you eat them, you're eating an endangered species. I have other peeves too, so maybe I'm just getting old.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#18 Old 26th Nov 2016 at 4:18 PM
Possibly the best mod made for Sims 4.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#19 Old 27th Nov 2016 at 7:53 PM
Thanks so much for this! Like you, it is the little things that annoy me most. This is an essential addition to any UK player's game.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#20 Old 29th Jan 2017 at 5:53 PM
im uk too x
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#21 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 9:18 AM
You guys are funny! Glad you could mod the game to feel more like home :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#22 Old 9th Mar 2017 at 2:56 PM
This is wonderful - thank you so much!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#23 Old 1st Jun 2017 at 10:27 AM
YOURE A LIFE SAVER!!!!! THANKS SO MUCH! The 'chips' thingy is driving me nuts
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#24 Old 1st Oct 2017 at 11:04 AM
i rly needed this thx bc im from uk and its annoys me sm lol ty
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 12th Nov 2017 at 2:09 PM
This still seems to be working with the Cats and Dogs update. Let me know if you find otherwise.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Page 1 of 2