Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
dodgy builder
#26 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 5:40 PM
I don't think discussing things is good enough. In your case I would put 50% of the cc in a folder on the desktop, and try to reproduce the error.

If you don't have any problems then, switch the cc with the folder on the desktop.

If you have problem with the first half folder, divide it in two. Keep testing like this til you find the culprit.

I also saw what I would call artifacts on your screen. I had the same problem in ts4, and it turned out to be too much cc. Do you have a lot of it?
Advertisement
Theorist
Original Poster
#27 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I don't think discussing things is good enough. In your case I would put 50% of the cc in a folder on the desktop, and try to reproduce the error.

If you don't have any problems then, switch the cc with the folder on the desktop.

If you have problem with the first half folder, divide it in two. Keep testing like this til you find the culprit.

I also saw what I would call artifacts on your screen. I had the same problem in ts4, and it turned out to be too much cc. Do you have a lot of it?

I removed the temporary cc for a specific build and loading the game now. No I don't have very much cc when it comes to the CAS items. And less than 20 objects for a build. The rest is store content or lots that are CC free I don't do much CC bc of the problems with them.

And I'm not just discussing, I'm trying everything that's mentioned and other things I think of to fix this problem. Right now if this doesn't fix, my game is almost unusable.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#28 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 6:10 PM
Theorist
Original Poster
#29 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 6:23 PM
I think I found it! I just stayed in build mode for 30-40 min and no crashes. Phew..I was starting to get worried. Apparently it was CC. Even though it's been in my game for the last few months something apparently happened. Not sure what or maybe it was the motherboard upgrade, who knows. But this is the longest it's stayed in build mod for the last 3 days I'm not worried about the CC they weren't that important anyway lol. Would be nice if you got the same symptoms so it was quicker and easier to find lol Thank you everyone for all your help!
Inventor
#30 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 9:08 PM
Could you please let others know what item(s) of cc it was that gave you troubles? It might help someone else down the road and would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Shotgunning bland cucumbers since 1974
Theorist
Original Poster
#31 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 2:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MOOKIEBLAYLOCK
Could you please let others know what item(s) of cc it was that gave you troubles? It might help someone else down the road and would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Once I narrow it down I can let you know. however, it will be cc I've had in the past a cpl years ago and didn't have trouble then, might of just gotten corrupted some how. But will let you know.
Inventor
#32 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 6:26 AM
^ Hey I appreciate that! Ya, I didn't mean it as an indictment of anyone's cc. Things work for some and not for others ( depending on EP's, OS, other mods etc) and things can work fine and then just stop. I'm just curious.

Shotgunning bland cucumbers since 1974
Instructor
#33 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 9:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
That kind of test would be beyond my comfort zone. Usually I would rely on other symptoms, such as misbehavior in other games, simpler programs like web browsers also showing rainbows of color across the screen, odd noises coming from it, having no video at all (of course that's like saying death is a symptom of disease).

Paging @PapaEmy.

Hi Igazor, sorry for my late reply..

Quote: Originally posted by PolarBearSims
None of those symptoms are happening. Sims 4 runs great graphics wise, those are set on high. Didn't know if sims 4 needed better graphics. My son plays minecraft and he says it runs great too.

Hi PolarBearSims, sorry for my late reply, I see you fixed the crash already.., anyway for TS3.., if you're having odd noise coming from your gpu card, that's more likely that your gpu is overheating, for TS3.. make sure you have FPS Limiter installed or run Nvidia Inspector to cap your TS3 fps to prevent damage to your graphic card, crash won't have anything to do from playing TS3 without capping its FPS, if its damaged because of it, it will slow your game down and eventually everything (not only TS3).

Note: even in the case if TS3 burnt the gpu because playing without capping its FPS, the main gpu chip itself is unlikely to get damage because it has sufficient cooling and most motherboard will protect and slow everything down to cool it off from overheating, the ones that easily got burnt are the VRAM chips, because some of them don't have heat sinks or covered by the same cooler that cooling its main gpu chip, that's why it's not technically dead when damaged, but the performance became so slow and then lagging badly even for light usages like browsing the internet, doing school or office work like typing etc..

You can use ATi Tool to check your gpu's health, but I personally don't recommend to use it because it will stress your gpu to maximum workload, only try it if you're an advance user and don't go over more than 2 minutes testing your gpu with ATi Tool.

As for the crash, it's more likely because of something else rather than because of hardware related issues.
Theorist
Original Poster
#34 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 10:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
Hi Igazor, sorry for my late reply..

Hi PolarBearSims, sorry for my late reply, I see you fixed the crash already.., anyway for TS3.., if you're having odd noise coming from your gpu card, that's more likely that your gpu is overheating, for TS3.. make sure you have FPS Limiter installed or run Nvidia Inspector to cap your TS3 fps to prevent damage to your graphic card, crash won't have anything to do from playing TS3 without capping its FPS, if its damaged because of it, it will slow your game down and eventually everything (not only TS3).

Note: even in the case if TS3 burnt the gpu because playing without capping its FPS, the main gpu chip itself is unlikely to get damage because it has sufficient cooling and most motherboard will protect and slow everything down to cool it off from overheating, the ones that easily got burnt are the VRAM chips, because some of them don't have heat sinks or covered by the same cooler that cooling its main gpu chip, that's why it's not technically dead when damaged, but the performance became so slow and then lagging badly even for light usages like browsing the internet, doing school or office work like typing etc..

You can use ATi Tool to check your gpu's health, but I personally don't recommend to use it because it will stress your gpu to maximum workload, only try it if you're an advance user and don't go over more than 2 minutes testing your gpu with ATi Tool.

As for the crash, it's more likely because of something else rather than because of hardware related issues.

Thank you for the reply. Actually while I was doing CC tests I've gotten a HHD failure warning *sniffle* lol. It occurred to me this morning, if the HHD is failing one of its symptoms is not being able to write. That would explain my strange save errors and it crashing, giving not enough space error bc the game would read the drive as being full. I have a new one on order. Hopefully it gets here soon enough to do an easy transfer. I will update this post if this fixes my problem. Again thank you!
Instructor
#35 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 8:04 AM
My computer:
Its been the same since I got the game 4 years ago except now it has a new motherboard that's more powerful than before and now I have 24G Ram instead of 8
Trust me it isn't my computer specs causing the issue, its more than capable of running this game. Has been for years.

Does anyone have any ideas on why it would crash during builds? This is really getting aggravating and just started for the first time 2 days ago. Is there anything else that could get corrupted that I could try removing and created new of? Maybe a program that could tell me if any CC is corrupted? Thank you for all of your help! Always greatly appreciated

Apart from CC and mods you might have, you can move them out temporarily and do a clean run with new game to test it if it's still crashing.

But about your computer, regardless its spec with big rams.. more powerful processor etc, it's not the same as the one you claimed to have in the last 4 years, when you replaced your computer's motherboard, it's not the same computer again, it's a (new) different computer.

I suspect the crash might be because of motherboard being replaced with newer/powerful model, because you'll need a new clean re-installation for your system with your new motherboard to work at best with the new motherboard, you'll need to reinstall your Windows OS, motherboard drivers (like its chipset, LAN, sound, storage controller etc), gpu's drivers and TS3 re-installation as well.

If you just replaced the motherboard and keep everything installed (including TS3) from your old motherboard's system in your SSD/HDD, it usually won't automatically fits your new motherboard well. For TS3.., the one that you can carry over to the new system, will be the TS3 Documents folder only, but you need to delete its DeviceConfig.log and Option.ini and let the new TS3 re-installation regenerated them for you.

So from what you have described it from your 1st post, it's not the same computer again, and I assumed that you didn't re-install everything back with your new motherboard, and I suspect that is the one that causing your TS3 to crash.

Actually while I was doing CC tests I've gotten a HHD failure warning *sniffle* lol. It occurred to me this morning, if the HHD is failing one of its symptoms is not being able to write. That would explain my strange save errors and it crashing, giving not enough space error bc the game would read the drive as being full.

This would be a different matter if you have done a new clean re-installation for your Windows OS and everything else including your TS3 with your new motherboard. But I suspect this also one of the consequences for keeping everything that installed from your old motherboard system. Not having enough space for TS3 is an easy fix, you can use Disk Cleanup from your Windows OS feature to have more space or you can do it manually by deleting everything inside the "Temp" folder inside your Users\YourName\Appdata\Local\Temp folder, but I think that wouldn't stop the game to crash if you haven't do the re-installation required for your new motherboard.
Theorist
Original Poster
#36 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 3:03 PM Last edited by PolarBearSims : 2nd Apr 2017 at 3:26 PM.
Apart from CC and mods you might have, you can move them out temporarily and do a clean run with new game to test it if it's still crashing.

But about your computer, regardless its spec with big rams.. more powerful processor etc, it's not the same as the one you claimed to have in the last 4 years, when you replaced your computer's motherboard, it's not the same computer again, it's a (new) different computer.

I suspect the crash might be because of motherboard being replaced with newer/powerful model, because you'll need a new clean re-installation for your system with your new motherboard to work at best with the new motherboard, you'll need to reinstall your Windows OS, motherboard drivers (like its chipset, LAN, sound, storage controller etc), gpu's drivers and TS3 re-installation as well.

If you just replaced the motherboard and keep everything installed (including TS3) from your old motherboard's system in your SSD/HDD, it usually won't automatically fits your new motherboard well. For TS3.., the one that you can carry over to the new system, will be the TS3 Documents folder only, but you need to delete its DeviceConfig.log and Option.ini and let the new TS3 re-installation regenerated them for you.

So from what you have described it from your 1st post, it's not the same computer again, and I assumed that you didn't re-install everything back with your new motherboard, and I suspect that is the one that causing your TS3 to crash.

This would be a different matter if you have done a new clean re-installation for your Windows OS and everything else including your TS3 with your new motherboard. But I suspect this also one of the consequences for keeping everything that installed from your old motherboard system. Not having enough space for TS3 is an easy fix, you can use Disk Cleanup from your Windows OS feature to have more space or you can do it manually by deleting everything inside the "Temp" folder inside your Users\YourName\Appdata\Local\Temp folder, but I think that wouldn't stop the game to crash if you haven't do the re-installation required for your new motherboard.

Im aware that a new mothetboard makes it a new computer. All my drivers are reinstalled. Programs bc of a new motherboard isn't going to cause a hard drive failure. This hard drive has decent age to it. I'm not surprised that it's going bad. After this only the processor is left to break. I have been working on computers for quite some time. Everything has worked fine with this motherboard for the last month. In fact it has been working better than before. Right now I'm just hoping it makes it and if the computer gets shut down that it will load. I'm on borrowed time with it and will post an update on the game after the hard drive is fixed.
Theorist
Original Poster
#37 Old 10th Apr 2017 at 7:53 PM Last edited by PolarBearSims : 11th Apr 2017 at 3:42 AM.
UPDATE: I have replaced the hard drive so some of my problems are fixed except the Sims 3 crashing in build mode. I have also just got done going through and uninstalling all CC for build/Buy mode objects. I have also just got done reinstalled the game and all packs. I can still play in Live mode for over and hour or more and have absolutely no problems. So this is still just happening in build mode. If there are any more suggestions that I have not tried that are already suggested in this thread I will be gratefull.

Also, if it deals with my video card, that won't be changed anytime soon do to not currently being able to afford a new one.

UPDATE have a cracked fan, graphics card feels super hot. Downloaded a program to monitor my temps. If the program says it's getting to hot will do a cleaning, open side panel and see what happens. The cracked fan still works but will replace it and maybe add another fan. Will then see after that what the temps are.
Theorist
Original Poster
#39 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 12:30 PM Last edited by PolarBearSims : 11th Apr 2017 at 12:48 PM.

Thank you. The HHD failure was unexpected and apparently happened by coincidence. I found the cracked fan bc the clicking noise was still there after the HHD replacement and that's when I saw the crack. My computer was giving several motherboard failure warnings before loading bios and after being loaded to the desktop. Those are gone but still crashes so must not of been related. I replaced the mobo bc it was broke and had been for over 2 years. The onboard sound broke first and I had to put in a sound card. Then the CMOS broke over a year ago so replacing that was bc it needed to and for completely other reasons. I added ram just bc I wanted to help with other reasons not bc of the game. I'm only replacing if they are broke but the fan does work and plenty of air coming off of it. I did some building after installing that temp program and the graphics card temp went from 54C to 60-62C which was ok but it did sit for awhile since the last I played and it didn't crash. Earlier i was in live mode for a hour then loaded a seperate save for a build and some time after that it crashed so I will try a longer test on the temp later. I will check ram later also like you suggested. I went to the video card bc that's what everyone thought but I was looking at it overheating which also has the same symptoms lol. I had heard years ago that you shouldn't mix ram and to always buy in 2 and matching numbers then recently from other computer builders that now it doesn't matter but I can check them anyway thank you.
Instructor
#40 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 1:07 PM
I went to the video card bc that's what everyone thought but I was looking at it overhearing which also has the same symptoms lol. Yes the ram was added, I've never had a problem before but I had heard years ago about mixing them so I can check them thank you.

I think from your video card's temp, your video card is in good shape, the crashing was probably from your RAM (regardless it's from the same manufacturer or not), I once in the past have RAM failure and it causing my system to crash (blue screen), it was from the same manufacturer and one of the 4 sticks failed though everything seems normal when the system booting then log into Windows OS, but in the middle of something it always crashing, even just to play MP3 music and still my system crashed.

So there's probability that you might having the same RAM failure as I did in the past, everything seems normal but when you're in the middle of something.. it failed, the easy way to check them is by removing them and then test them one by one, you can also run memory test through Windows debug mode but it will take hours to finish.

But I could be wrong, because as you said earlier in your 1st post that the crash was only happening when you're in TS3 buy/build mode, I think this might have something to do with TS3 and its mods CC or anything related to your TS3, that's your TS3 crashing, if your RAM failed like I did in the past, the whole system is more likely to crash or went blue screen.

And one more thing to consider also, because your crashing problem was specifically in TS3 buy/build mode, check your Power Supply Unit, with all the hardware you have equipped with 24GB RAM, there's a probability that your PSU is lacking power to support your system especially when running game..
Theorist
Original Poster
#41 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 4:08 PM Last edited by PolarBearSims : 11th Apr 2017 at 4:54 PM.

Thank you. Yea it's only crashing in build/buy mode and no where else. I can check the power supply, I hope not since this is my 3rd one since I got this game 4 years ago and I've increased it power size each time it was replaced

UPDATE power supply size is 12V
Theorist
Original Poster
#42 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 4:50 PM
Just ran windows memory diagnostics and if that's accurate it says there's no ram issues.
Instructor
#44 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 6:58 PM
UPDATE power supply size is 12V

Umm.. that's not exactly what I meant..

Why don't you post your computer's spec here.., like what processor powering your system, what kind of graphic card you have, what kind of PSU you're using.. 250W or 380W or 450W or 550W.., how many HDD and/or SSD and Optical Drive do you have, how many cooling fan you have cooling down your rig, we know you have 24G rams but what are they.. 3x8gb or something else? So we can calculate if your PSU Wattage have sufficient power to support your whole system ideally.., lacking of power in some cases might crash when gaming though it's unlikely, but it's more likely to damage one or more of your hardware.. especially the graphic video or the HDD, and when is damaged.. it may also crash when gaming though it's not always..
Theorist
Original Poster
#45 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 7:11 PM
Umm.. that's not exactly what I meant..

Why don't you post your computer's spec here.., like what processor powering your system, what kind of graphic card you have, what kind of PSU you're using.. 250W or 380W or 450W or 550W.., how many HDD and/or SSD and Optical Drive do you have, how many cooling fan you have cooling down your rig, we know you have 24G rams but what are they.. 3x8gb or something else? So we can calculate if your PSU Wattage have sufficient power to support your whole system ideally.., lacking of power in some cases might crash when gaming though it's unlikely, but it's more likely to damage one or more of your hardware.. especially the graphic video or the HDD, and when is damaged.. it may also crash when gaming though it's not always..

Sorry, power supply for 12v is 575watts and 47amps at 12v.

I will get the specs posted in a few I'm assuming you want the DeviceConfig
Theorist
Original Poster
#46 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 7:34 PM

Yes I have done a clean run. After the HHD I reinstalled the game and packs from the disks. I had all my mods, store content and CAS CCs backed up.

I would of thought if it was the software, the new install would of fixed that. Not sure what else with the software I can try. I will try doing ram checks but that will take time for me to report back on that. Even after the new install, the crash exactly the same as before. I can run live mode just fine and did for an hour yesterday. Didn't crashes till 15-30min into the build which was during the furnishing part. The screen looked normal but on the fraps recording had the mouse issue like in the pic I posted on the first page. That occurs seconds before it crashes. The 2nd time I loaded it, around 15 min in the lot info boxed went black with neon lettering and several of the boxes in the bottom menu went black with neon green lettering. I can't get a pic if that, I've tried. The rest of the screen looks normal. It doesn't always crash after that, I was able to save and it was fine but crashed a few minutes later. One thing I noticed when I did the exterior and frame of the build it was fine. Was after I went into furnishing it crashes. And this time there's no build objects of CC. I'm going to see if I can build the frame again and see if it is just in the furnishings.
Instructor
#47 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 7:39 PM
Sorry, power supply for 12v is 575watts and 47amps at 12v.

I will get the specs posted in a few I'm assuming you want the DeviceConfig

I think CPU-Z and GPU-Z will be more helpful to determine the power you need to have for your PSU, CPU-Z can described more details about your Processor, every stick RAM you installed, motherboard, and GPU-Z will tell more about your graphic card details, you can download CPU-Z here and GPU-Z here
Theorist
Original Poster
#48 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 7:50 PM
I think CPU-Z and GPU-Z will be more helpful to determine the power you need to have for your PSU, CPU-Z can described more details about your Processor, every stick RAM you installed, motherboard, and GPU-Z will tell more about your graphic card details, you can download CPU-Z here and GPU-Z here

Ok, while you wrote this I had gotten the device config file so I will go ahead and post it anyway I've never heard of CPU-Z or GPU-Z but I will get those for you as well.

Well I would post it except the option to upload a zip isn't there, just says cancel upload.
Theorist
Original Poster
#49 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 8:06 PM
ok, hopefully it worked this time on uploading. I posted the Device Config along with the ones from the GPU and CPU programs.

Also, thank you all for helping, it means a lot to have others who can help Thank you
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  DxDiag.zip (13.2 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  PC specs.zip (10.6 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
#50 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 8:45 PM
Based on your Phenom II X3 and Radeon 5450, in theory.. your 575W PSU should be more than sufficient, but the quality of your PSU is unknown..like how long you've been using it, what brand is you PSU.., hopefully it's not dropping on power that may caused your HDD to failed as you mentioned earlier.

Spec-wise I think your computer is okay, but we don't know what causing your HDD to failed, and your crashing experience were only in TS3 buy/build mode, so I think in my opinion, it's more with the TS3 related stuff that causing the TS3 crashing in buy/build mode.
Page 2 of 4