Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#51 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 9:07 PM Last edited by PolarBearSims : 11th Apr 2017 at 11:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
Based on your Phenom II X3 and Radeon 5450, in theory.. your 575W PSU should be more than sufficient, but the quality of your PSU is unknown..like how long you've been using it, what brand is you PSU.., hopefully it's not dropping on power that may caused your HDD to failed as you mentioned earlier.

Spec-wise I think your computer is okay, but we don't know what causing your HDD to failed, and your crashing experience were only in TS3 buy/build mode, so I think in my opinion, it's more with the TS3 related stuff that causing the TS3 crashing in buy/build mode.

Been about a year with this power supply. I will see if I can find the brand.

Ok, so what else can cause ts3 to crash in build mod since a new install didn't work? Could store content get corrupted? Should I reinstall all store content?

UPDATE I looked on the power supply, not sure on the brand since I'm not familiar with these. It says TR2 500w ATX 12v 2.3. Model: TR2 500NL2NC. I apologoize, I wrote above incorrectly on the watts, I couldn't see the numbers exactly when I looked, it's in a corner desk so not fun to pull out lol.
Advertisement
Theorist
Original Poster
#53 Old 12th Apr 2017 at 6:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Gonna have to ask you next time it crashes in build/buy, can you take a note "where" specifically it crashed? And keep a note of it for a few crashes. If we can isolate the exact problem, it might reveal more exactly which place it crashed.

Because it only crashes in build/buy mode, it really does look like it is Sims related. I can only tell you a while ago, my game would have a high chance of crash specifically when I choose the color of washers and dryers. It would just freeze. It turns out the files were corrupted and a fresh reinstall fixed it.

If it continues down this road, I'm afraid you might have to resort to a more tedious test... which is install base game, try and play it. Then install each EP separately, and try each until you identify which contents in EP caused the problem. But this is IF we can be sure it crashes during build/buy at the same spot each time.

Ok, I had thought of something similar as well. Currently testing ram so will move on to that after this testing so I can have better results.
Theorist
Original Poster
#54 Old 12th Apr 2017 at 4:01 PM
Since I reinstalled the game, I had no choice but to update to 1.69, would just deselecting the packs work to test them or do I need to uninstalling them?
Theorist
Original Poster
#55 Old 12th Apr 2017 at 6:04 PM Last edited by PolarBearSims : 13th Apr 2017 at 1:58 AM.
UPDATE: Crashed while I was exiting to town view to save. Was able to do all exterior and landscaping which took 34 min.
After that I did interior which is where it crashes. Doesn't crash when I'm doing walls and plants and such. Was 19 min into the interior when I exited to save and it crashed. Usually its when I'm still building so I will continue and see where it crashes next. Also this happened during only having the old ram in and not the new. I will next try it with the new ram and see what happens.

Round 2: with new ram of two 8G sticks, I was able to finish what I lost and only a couple items after. Crashed at around 10min in. Had the create a style open and was recoloring a base game rug.

Round 3: I didn't change the ram because I no longer believe it is the cause. I removed all of my Store content, CC of Hairstyles and clothes and this time I got about 6 minutes in before it crashed. Again crashed while I had the Create a Style up changing the color of a wall paper. Starting to think it has something to do with Create a Style in build mode.
Theorist
Original Poster
#57 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 6:41 AM
Unforunately, it does look like you have a much more severe problem.

I think you may have to uninstall everything and install only the basegame. Then give that a go.

So your thinking its in the base game? If it is and reinstalling doesn't fix it-considering it has been reinstalled once already-then there may not be a fix?
Instructor
#58 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 12:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PolarBearSims
So your thinking its in the base game? If it is and reinstalling doesn't fix it-considering it has been reinstalled once already-then there may not be a fix?

I think you've done all to check where the crash coming from, from your updated post it doesn't seems like RAM problem, you even did a clean run and reinstall your TS3. But if we look at "when" the crash is actually happening, I now suspect it may be because of your PSU.. might be dropping on its power, I could be wrong, but what else the possibility left there?

The crash is happening when you're gaming (though it's only one game that's TS3), but whenever you're in gaming (whatever the game is), your computer is near at the state of full stressed operation, in this kind of condition, all of your hardware may consume all the power available from your PSU, and this is where there is a possibility that your PSU might be lacking or even dropping on power, may be it doesn't produce the maximum 575W as its stated so anymore.

There are two option to check this, the safest one is to test run your computer with another PSU (if you have one), the second one (but I really don't recommend it because it's kind a risky that might cause damage to one of your hardware), test run it in full stressed condition with Prime 95 stress test freeware, if it's failed in the test.. then you might have a bad PSU.. or.. there's another possibility.. that's your AMD Phenom ii X3 720's compatibility.

About your AMD Phenom ii X3 720, I used to have this processor in my system, and mine was the BE (Black Edition) and it have the capability to unlock the 4th core, and I too did have experiencing instability whenever the 4th core was enabled, but that instability wasn't always the case, because I was using several motherboards back then, and only a few of them really works out with this X3 core processor with the 4th core unlocked.

So I think the two things you haven't done to check where the crash were coming from, test it with different PSU, and or test it without the 4th core of your X3 processor enabled or unlocked. Hope that helps you finding the root of the problem..
Theorist
Original Poster
#59 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 3:44 PM Last edited by PolarBearSims : 13th Apr 2017 at 4:29 PM.

Thank you
Although I've never done anything to unlock the 4th core since I didn't know it existed so I will see about looking into the PSU. I do have a 750w here for a computer im building. I just hope one of these times at least the root of the problem gets found, I'm started to get really frustrated.
Instructor
#60 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 6:44 PM
Although I've never done anything to unlock the 4th core since I didn't know it existed..

Well.. the Phenom II X3 720 is actually a 4 cores processor but sold as 3 cores processor, and usually it's a Black Edition line-up from AMD, but one of its core was locked by AMD because it's bad or not stable enough to categorize it as a 4 core or X4 Phenom II line up, but even tough the 4th core is locked, AMD give their customer the freedom to unlocked it, with some compatible motherboards the 4th core can just perform with no problem at all if they're lucky.

If you're not sure the 4th core is disabled or enabled, you can check it in your mobo's BIOS menu (but usually by default it should be disabled), and you can double check it from your Windows' Device Manager Menu and go to your processor to check if there's 3 or 4 logical cpus in there, if it says you have 4 logical cpus, you can disabled the 4th one from your BIOS menu so you'll have stable 3 cores.

Note: there's a way to make the 4th core enabled and stable, but this usually required to raise up your processor's voltage like overclocking steps, but only do this if you have the experience and familiar with overclocking your processor.
Theorist
Original Poster
#61 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 8:39 PM Last edited by PolarBearSims : 14th Apr 2017 at 1:39 AM.

Thank you. I will double check it just to make sure. I don't plan on unlocking the 4th core since I will be passing this computer on to someone else after my other is built and up and running however, they like this game too so I still need to get it working lol.

UPDATE: not the power supply. Had my 750w in and it crashed around 10-15min into the build. Crashed while I was placing a small table light.
Theorist
Original Poster
#62 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 5:17 PM
Gonna have to ask you next time it crashes in build/buy, can you take a note "where" specifically it crashed? And keep a note of it for a few crashes. If we can isolate the exact problem, it might reveal more exactly which place it crashed.

Because it only crashes in build/buy mode, it really does look like it is Sims related. I can only tell you a while ago, my game would have a high chance of crash specifically when I choose the color of washers and dryers. It would just freeze. It turns out the files were corrupted and a fresh reinstall fixed it.

If it continues down this road, I'm afraid you might have to resort to a more tedious test... which is install base game, try and play it. Then install each EP separately, and try each until you identify which contents in EP caused the problem. But this is IF we can be sure it crashes during build/buy at the same spot each time.

I uninstalled all expansion packs and ran the game. I didn't remove store content since I've done that once and it didn't fix it. Just as before, I could do all the frame and landscaping just fine. Crashed while I was in the interior. It was around 15-20min in. Crashed when I was moving a color palette from 1 dining chair to another.

It's not specific items or colors it's crashing at. Each time is different but seems to be involving the create a style.
Theorist
Original Poster
#64 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 7:09 PM

Its ok, I know its a lot.
On the first issue thinking it was CC. I don't think its that anymore since it happened again. After more testing that's when I descovered it didn't do it when I did the frame of the house and the exterior that's why so much time went before it crashed. Once I got into the interior that's when it crashed again and realized that it wasn't fixed like I thought. I currently have no CC in my game. I didn't reinstall it.

On the pic that I posted. That is only visible if it gets recorded by fraps. I record my speed builds and that's how I found it. It still does it, that has never changed. The crash is still the same as it was when I first posted this problem.

About the HDD. Around the same time as removing my CC at the begining of this post, I had to restart my computer. Before BIOS it gave me a warning on HDD Failure. I had that for a couple of days because I had to wait for a new one to come in. I was then also getting errors on my computer during other applications that the hard drive was failing. My HDD before was a 500G and was originally partitioned into 2. I got a new HDD that is now 1T. I put the new one in and only moved over from the old drive to the new one like pictures, videos, Sims 3 & 4 downloads, Saves, Exports, Mods. I didn't save the game files themselves. Figured I would just reinstall everything. After those where all moved over, I removed the old 500G HDD and now only have the new 1T HDD. I reinstalled all the Sims 3 games and packs so all those files are all new.

On the part of new drivers and graphics. When I replaced my motherboard about a month before this happened, all my drivers had to be reinstalled. I have the program Driver Booster 4.3 Free version and had it update my drivers after I installed them. I didn't do anything to any of the settings of my graphics card. Just installed it and then updated it. However, since I had so many builds done I took a break and didn't build right after the new MOBO. I started building again about a month later and that's when it first crashed.

I have already uploaded the deviceconfig along with another that gives more detail on my system. Its on page 2 at the bottom in this topic. Nothing has changed since I posted that.

Hope this helps and I didn't miss anything.
Theorist
Original Poster
#66 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 6:09 AM
Wait... so you only have 1 HDD? So you reinstalled Windows OS?

The file you posted are your dxdiag file and your cpu-z logfile. Unless I missed your deviceconfig somewhere, I don't think I've ever seen it. It is a log file in your TS3 user folder. The difference is those files tells me about your system. Deviceconfig log file tells me exactly what your actual TS3 program uses.

My apologies, to many files to keep track of lol I believe I found the one your referring to. However, I only have a couple packs installed right now since I'm still trying out things to figure this out. But I will have it posted.
Although, I looked at the file quickly and saw it said OS windows 8. I don't have that system. I started with windows 7 but did the free upgrade to 10 so I'm running on Windows 10. Unless I read it wrong which is always a possibility lol

Yes only 1 HDD. The first one was 500G and then I had to replace it so I only have the 1 TB and Windows was reinstalled to it after I put it in.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  DeviceConfig.zip (1.6 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
#68 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 9:04 AM Last edited by PapaEmy : 15th Apr 2017 at 9:31 AM.
On the first issue thinking it was CC. I don't think its that anymore since it happened again. After more testing that's when I descovered it didn't do it when I did the frame of the house and the exterior that's why so much time went before it crashed. Once I got into the interior that's when it crashed again and realized that it wasn't fixed like I thought. I currently have no CC in my game. I didn't reinstall it.

I agreed with Nitromon, I don't think that Texture Memory Override caused the game to crash, and something is missing here..

Ok.. from what you've described above, and many other things that you've tried to locate where the crash is coming from, and from your Device Config you're running Win 10 for your OS, and you also have a fresh new HDD..

This is the last thing I could think right now.., how about.., try reinstalling your Win 10? And follow the tutorial here , the only different is that you don't have to set up for dual graphics, and then once you got all that ready, Win 10 have the NetFX3 its required and recognizes all your hardware, then do a new fresh clean re-installation of your TS3 BG, then follow with any EPs and/or SPs you want to add, and then finish them with TS3 1.67 Superpatch. (Don't update it to 1.69)

Once you done with the 1.67 Superpatch, do not add anything, no CC, no Store Content, no Mods from your previous game installation, just new and clean from your new installation like a brand new computer, and then run TS3 Launcher so TS3 will create TS3 Docs, and then run the game up to TS3's main menu, set up your game graphic as necessary and then exit back to Win 10, don't run the game just yet, go to your TS3 Docs and check your DeviceConfig. Get TS3 to recognize your graphic (if it doesn't) and fix the 32MB Texture Override if that also appears in your DeviceConfig.

Once that all done, try to run your game with 100% new game, nothing from your previous TS3 installation added, and then just try to do with the buy/build mode that your system usually crashing, hopefully it's fixed at this stage, if not.. then.. I don't know what else to suggest you, maybe if you live near by.. you can bring it to my place so I can have a look

PS: (Editted) You're running old generation hardware for Win 10, your motherboard and graphic card manufacture may not have the updated drivers version updated for Win 10, you might want to get all the Win 7 drivers compatible and do drivers custom installation so Win 10 can run them in Win 7 mode (explained in the tutorial).

Note: Win 10 is not like Win XP or 7 when it comes to hardware drivers, both XP and Win 7 may just run fine without proper hardware drivers or no drivers at all, Win 10 may give you headache and run so slow.. if you don't have them and instead run them with the Win 10's default drivers from Microsoft, and in some cases.., it might crash in the middle of something because lacking of proper drivers and other things that supports the drivers to run....
Theorist
Original Poster
#69 Old 19th Apr 2017 at 8:00 PM
Sorry its been awhile since I responded. Been busy testing the packs and of course Easter this past weekend. So this is what happened so far: I haven't done any of the new suggestions yet since I had already started this test prior to those being posted. I cleaned out everything that delt with TS3. I decided to use a different install disk since I had a second that came with a bundle pack for showtime. I then had to do a manual download of the 1.67 patch because I really don't want 1.69. So far that worked fine. So I started to do tests. I went in just a base game nothing else and bulit. Was fine. I added a pack, built, was fine. I did this all the way through all of my packs. All the builds did fine. Even had an hour at a time with out shutting the game down. Still no CC and the only thing from the store so far are the worlds like dragon valley and monte vista-my disks don't work and the rest of them that I had before. I went into a save today for a prison challenge and needed to change all the outfits. Of course this is the first I have been in CAS since this issue started. it crashed It did so good with build mode so I thought maybe it was for a different reason. The crash analyzer said the same thing. Out of memory. my Graphics hit a 61 celsius. I then loaded it again just in case it wasn't from the same issue as before. This time I only got a few min in and it crashed and my Graphics this time was at 64 celcius. I will take a look at the texture override now that I have the packs and and those tests were fine.
Theorist
Original Poster
#70 Old 19th Apr 2017 at 11:58 PM Last edited by PolarBearSims : 20th Apr 2017 at 1:59 AM.
Hopefully this posts right, last one didn't. I made the changes on the texture memory here are the new pics.

UPDATE: After made the suggested change to the texture I went back into that save that crashed the last time in Create a Sim. Here are my results so far: There are 7 sims in the household all needed their outfits fixed since I had to remove everything and have no CC currently in the game. I was able to go though all 7 sims and change each outfit for each catagory and change all the colors as well and had no problems this time though. I will continue to test since I still have more to store content to add and test and then I plan on testing with my hairstyles and clothing CC's and then I will go though and test with mods as well. Will let you know how it goes.
Screenshots
Theorist
Original Poster
#72 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 12:19 PM Last edited by PolarBearSims : 20th Apr 2017 at 6:29 PM.
Can you go into build/buy mode and play around until it crashes since that was where most of your troubles occurred?

Also, did you check the "deviceconfig" file to verify your changes? It should now say 1024MB instead of 32MB <<override>>

Apparently when I saved it did not due to administrative reasons. So I had to save it to a different folder and then move it over and replace the existing. I ran the game. It came up saying my video card was not recognized. The option to increase the textures for nearby lots was no longer available to change. Now the "deviceconfig" file shows nothing.\

Also my testing does involve building as stated in previous post.

UPDATE: I did everything I could think of including forcing the game to create new folders to get my DeviceConfig back. Nothing worked. I ended up having to uninstall the basegame and reinstalling it again in order to get my override back to what it was before and my deviceconfig as well back to before. Now the game recognizes my video card again and all the settings are usuable again. I don't think I'm going to do that change again. I will start testing builds with my store content then Create a Sim CC and then I will move to adding a few mods here and there for tested as well and I will let you know how it goes. Thank you for your help! Always appreciated
Attached files:
File Type: zip  DeviceConfig.zip (160 Bytes, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Theorist
Original Poster
#74 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 12:22 PM
I have my Win privilege set to the lowest so I never had this problem, but I've read some people have this issue. The reason it didn't work is when you overwritten it with another copy, the permission is still not set and so the game would not recognize it (believing it is not a valid copy of graphicsrules.sgr). I think a work around is when you edit the file, you should run notepad as "admin" to edit it. But someone else with more experience with this can probably give more insight.

I still highly suggest you make the texture memory correction. One of the flags (setb textureMemorySizeOK false) sets it so the game thinks your texture memory is not ok. This might be causing some problems as this flag will set the behavior of the game with the belief you do not have enough texture memory.

I may look into changing mine so that the permission doesn't come up. I have always hated that and I'm the only one that uses the computer. Just never had a problem before. If I can figure out how to lower that I will try this texture change again and let you know.
Page 3 of 4