Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 1st May 2017 at 7:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TropicanaCat
I also remember the Sims getting zits!

I heard teens would get acne if they had low hygiene. That's a pretty cute detail, I think. Though I'm pretty sure that high hygiene doesn't make it go away in real life...

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 1st May 2017 at 9:41 PM
The only thing I wish The Sims 3 had was optimization. Everything else I could forgive...

Not trying to imply that there is such a thing as a well optimized Maxis title, but The Sims 3 is easily the worst in that department.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 2nd May 2017 at 1:11 AM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 2nd May 2017 at 1:21 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Anarchy Blues
But The Sims 3 is easily the worst in that department.

TS4 is well on it's way.
I can understand some lag in a game with a metric shit ton of content, and moreso in a game with a metric shit ton of content and an open world. TS4 has neither, yet lags more by the day.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 2nd May 2017 at 9:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
TS4 is well on it's way.
I can understand some lag in a game with a metric shit ton of content, and moreso in a game with a metric shit ton of content and an open world. TS4 has neither, yet lags more by the day.

True, and updates seem to weigh down on it a lot more than they did on The Sims 3. Also for a game with so many loading screens you'd expect them to be safe, but I've had mod-free games freeze on me during loading screens on more than one occasion.
Theorist
#30 Old 3rd May 2017 at 9:21 AM
> Car door animations (I will never stop complaining about this!!)
> Helicopters
> Cut-scenes

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#31 Old 3rd May 2017 at 11:41 AM
I wonder how many of these issues (especially the smaller ones) might be fixed by mods?

- Car door animations- Using the Roaring Heights car as a base and replacing the model with basegame cars + a script edit that forces sims to enter the car (before it teleports on the road)?
- Helicopters- A car mesh, but offset from the ground when driving? Fresh-prince was testing it until he disappeared.
- Open shopping/dining (Available through store content but it always was Base Game/EP, therefore, in-depth and way better handled.)- ani's mods to improve dining especially?
- Paying for the cab- already handled (http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=529758)
- In-depth businesses- ani's mods? Maybe future mods could add more depth and add an interface?
- Sub-hoods- figuring out how to swap out the vacation worlds
- Flower gardens- new harvestables with custom meshes (see douglasviega's strawberries, corn, bananas)
- TS2 Apartments- there are mods that go a certain length (http://modthesims.info/d/498857)(ht...s.info/d/554197) but game limitations and such
- assymetric relationships (yeah, 1000th times repeated)- possibly a core mod? Probably impossible.
- separated hats and hairs- hats as an accessory class or just in the misc clothing category?
- more, smaller (means: faster to load) subcategories in CAS- NRAAS Cas mod can really speed up loading by removing different base color options from the CAS menus but generally yeah
- Genetics- are there any settings that could be tweaked? I remember a few mods out there like Awesomemod that changed up what sims inherited
- Buying video games and cell phones- a script locking the cellphone until it is purchased?
- Community lot management service workers to keep the lot clean- Scripted NPC role mod? See Arsil's mods
- Breakdown of bills- script mod + popups?
- Chance cards during working hours that could make the sim lose their job. Sometimes we have pop-up questions like that in TS3 too, but with not such drastic consequences- changing the current chance cards in TS3 and altering the consequences?
- Absolutely. I find it way too easy to keep Sims happy in Sims 3, even with more difficult moodlet tuning- add even more stressful moodlets options? I.e. long-term stress/negative moodlets from work/school, talking to coworkers at work sometimes creates enemies

For animations/interactions- it's been done- but an indepth tutorial would go a long way in disseminating how to do it.
- Cuddling that couples do in TS2 when they wake up in the morning, but aren't getting up yet- splicing in new animations?
- Goosing another sim- splicing in new animations?
- Children playing musical instruments- using adult scripts, but splicing in tweaked meshes? (see: http://modthesims.info/d/579548)

Things I want:
- Wearable bags- using the sims 3 uni backpack but cloning it and changing it to sachels, handbags, purses. AroundtheSims was working on something like it, but ran into object state issues
- Rotating outfits- this is probably one of the few things TS4 got right
- More autonomy- Arsil has a nice mod here that allows your sims to autonomously visit lots on their own (http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...8#post4755068)- but I want more autonomy!
- Sims taking care of themselves- tuning mods to force sims to eat, wash, go to the washroom, and sleep at around the yellow part of the need bar
Site Helper
#32 Old 3rd May 2017 at 1:24 PM
Swapping out vacation worlds: See Traveller http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Traveler

Something I would like that has never been in any Sims game (Beyond Sims 1 where the sims desires were entirely in your own mind) is to have their wants/promised wishes/whatever they are called in Sims 4 actually affect the autonomous behavior of the sim. You want to go fishing before 6 am. You arrive at the fishing hole at 4 am, while it's still dark. Then you... pull out a book and start reading it?! Or you want to serenade your beloved with the drums, so you... go work out on the treadmill. (Which might be preferred by the neighbors over a drum serenade in the back yard at 1:30 am, so I suppose he was just being uncharacteristically considerate.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#33 Old 3rd May 2017 at 2:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
- Helicopters- A car mesh, but offset from the ground when driving? Fresh-prince was testing it until he disappeared.

Fresh Prince hasn't gone anywhere, he released two cars a couple of months ago and his latest Facebook post is from 2 weeks ago.

- In-depth businesses- ani's mods? Maybe future mods could add more depth and add an interface?

Sounds fairly realistic to me. We know that making a custom menu is possible, so perhaps it could also have custom graphics. And if you use slots like the Savvy Sellers carpets and object inventories, I think you can go a long way.
- Open shopping/dining (Available through store content but it always was Base Game/EP, therefore, in-depth and way better handled.)- ani's mods to improve dining especially?

I'm having trouble believing that TS3 doesn't have any of this. And yet I think it doesn't - and that makes it the only Sims game not to have any commercial venues...besides the rabbit holes, the half-baked Savvy Sellers set and the department store in Oasis Landing.
- separated hats and hairs- hats as an accessory class or just in the misc clothing category?

That's probably a matter of making separate hair meshes and accessory hats, and using the modified hairs on outfits that have the hats. Can't imagine there's anything clever you could do in CAS, so it's really just a matter of having tons of content.
- Buying video games and cell phones- a script locking the cellphone until it is purchased?

@Arsil may be onto something.
- Rotating outfits- this is probably one of the few things TS4 got right

I'm pretty sure this is happening already in my game. Not sure how, but everytime I have a Sim change into a different outfit, that outfit is assigned as #1 in it's category. And that means that Sims will automatically switch into that outfit. So basically, Sims don't always switch into the same outfit under the same circumstances - which does happen in TS4.
- Sims taking care of themselves- tuning mods to force sims to eat, wash, go to the washroom, and sleep at around the yellow part of the need bar

Sounds like something that could be done by tweaking Low Free Will so that only useful interactions will be performed, and only when needs are below a certain point.

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 3rd May 2017 at 4:34 PM
Ok, so I'm really a nostalgic person, and I want to hear more of the music from Sims 1 and 2 in my game. I have as much as I can using mods and using some for custom music. I don't really care for Sims 3's soundtrack.

I really miss the gameplay of Sims 2, but this open neighborhood and story progression keeps me from going back to it.

Actually, if you put in Sims 1 music with its pet shop, and Superstar... put it with the gameplay of Sims 2, especially how restaurants and businesses worked, and put it with the open neighborhood and story progression of Sims 3, that would be my perfect game.

Andy: This year for Christmas, everyone's getting a handshake and an I.O.U.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 3rd May 2017 at 4:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jendyose
Ok, so I'm really a nostalgic person, and I want to hear more of the music from Sims 1 and 2 in my game. I have as much as I can using mods and using some for custom music. I don't really care for Sims 3's soundtrack.

I really miss the gameplay of Sims 2, but this open neighborhood and story progression keeps me from going back to it.

Actually, if you put in Sims 1 music with its pet shop, and Superstar... put it with the gameplay of Sims 2, especially how restaurants and businesses worked, and put it with the open neighborhood and story progression of Sims 3, that would be my perfect game.

I can just hear what you mean. I can just hear the Superstar theme...Open For Business's new wave...the Bob Song...the rock song from the TS1 intro...the rave music from House Party....holy balls, the nostalgia.
If only you could put songs in existing music stations instead of the Custom Music station.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#36 Old 4th May 2017 at 4:42 AM
I bet you could put TS2 music in TS3 and vice-versa.

If you have the soundtrack on your hard drive it's doable (I have put custom music in TS3). I know YouTubers have Sims soundtracks available. You can do a search and find a YouTube to MP3 converter site, so you get just the audio. It'll convert the file and you download the MP3 file.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 4th May 2017 at 6:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexandraSpears
I bet you could put TS2 music in TS3 and vice-versa.

If you have the soundtrack on your hard drive it's doable (I have put custom music in TS3). I know YouTubers have Sims soundtracks available. You can do a search and find a YouTube to MP3 converter site, so you get just the audio. It'll convert the file and you download the MP3 file.

You can't really take out the Sims 3 soundtrack and replace it with other themes. I have a couple of mods that will sometimes replace the loading music and buy/build mode music, and I have a few songs in the custom music folder. But in my perfect game, I'd be able to replace all of the music.

Inventor
#38 Old 4th May 2017 at 8:56 AM Last edited by Arsil : 4th May 2017 at 10:45 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
That's probably a matter of making separate hair meshes and accessory hats, and using the modified hairs on outfits that have the hats. Can't imagine there's anything clever you could do in CAS, so it's really just a matter of having tons of content.

I use THIS (LINK) from TSR.

I made it not available for random and hidden in CAS, I only use it with my SunGlasses Mod (LINK)
(I don't have a "hat as regular object" though, so I use it with the sunglasses object itself,
an interaction to set its name would be useful so you can't mix them up).

You have to rehash the InstanceId of the CASP resource so you have a (unique!) human readable name
associated with it (the hashing key itself) to use with the interaction that sets which CASP item to wear/remove.
(Note that thumbnails in the sims3pack/package won't work anymore after the re-hashing,
this is not a problem if the item is hidden in CAS, but you can use the same InstanceId
of the CASP for their InstanceID to re-associate them with the object).

Of course clipping and overall good-looking depends on the hairstyle used.

Keep in mind that it's a rough mod, can't specify presets and has a lot of other limitations.

----- ETA -----

You can't really take out the Sims 3 soundtrack and replace it with other themes.

You can replace the songs or/and add new ones. These are things already discussed and solved years ago,
there are even tutorials for it, it's just that no one ever got really interested or serious about doing it.

----- ETA 2 -----

Great job taking those screenshots Arsil, great job indeed! ;P
Screenshots
Theorist
#39 Old 4th May 2017 at 10:00 AM
The Ts1 / Ts2 build and buy music used to really inspire me to build great things. I've muted the Ts3 music with a mod and I play the Ts1 / Ts2 music on my laptop.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#40 Old 4th May 2017 at 12:30 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 4th May 2017 at 12:44 PM.
The lighting engine in TS3 is also generally bad, but not something that can be fixed completely.
Thankfully lighting mods, reshade and ambient occlusion can make the macro scale (environments) look much better, but when you zoom in, the short-comings are still apparent.

Weird washed out highlights, flat-looking skin, no atmospheric reflection, a near lack of any sort of bump maps/detailed shine, harsh and ugly shadows that don't work well with smaller (read facial) details.

The sim meshes for the most part are actually fine! The lighting unfortunately has a tendency to make things flat-feeling and lacking detail. - I wish there was a way to get the lighting engine from TSM over to TS3.

Also a really short clipping distance for shadows doesn't help as well- wish there was a way to make shadows show up on farther away objects.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 4th May 2017 at 6:53 PM
You can't really take out the Sims 3 soundtrack and replace it with other themes. I have a couple of mods that will sometimes replace the loading music and buy/build mode music, and I have a few songs in the custom music folder. But in my perfect game, I'd be able to replace all of the music.

I didn't say replace it, I didn't think you could do that.

Me, I like to have the stereo on and when I play TS2 I kinda miss the TS3 music and vice-versa. There are a few from World Adventures I wouldn't mind sticking in TS2.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 4th May 2017 at 7:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexandraSpears
I didn't say replace it, I didn't think you could do that.

Me, I like to have the stereo on and when I play TS2 I kinda miss the TS3 music and vice-versa. There are a few from World Adventures I wouldn't mind sticking in TS2.

That's what I thought you meant but wasn't sure. The more nostalgic music in it the better for me lol

Mad Poster
#43 Old 5th May 2017 at 12:56 AM
@jje1000
The lighting engine in TS3 is also generally bad, but not something that can be fixed completely.
Thankfully lighting mods, reshade and ambient occlusion can make the macro scale (environments) look much better, but when you zoom in, the short-comings are still apparent.
Weird washed out highlights, flat-looking skin, no atmospheric reflection, a near lack of any sort of bump maps/detailed shine, harsh and ugly shadows that don't work well with smaller (read facial) details.
The sim meshes for the most part are actually fine! The lighting unfortunately has a tendency to make things flat-feeling and lacking detail. - I wish there was a way to get the lighting engine from TSM over to TS3.
Also a really short clipping distance for shadows doesn't help as well- wish there was a way to make shadows show up on farther away objects.

Working on it. Can't promise anything, but with a bit of luck I'll succeed in decompiling the game's shaders. And when that's done, who knows what we'll be able to modify. For one, I may be able to get outdoor lighting flowing between floors again like it used to pre-University Life. And, going by the (admittedly little) knowledge I have of shaders, perhaps it'll be possible to completely change the look of the game and the properties of the lighting engine.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#44 Old 5th May 2017 at 1:29 AM
Nah the lighting-between floors was broken once they introduced basements in WA and then they basically never fixed it.

Funny enough, street lights -outside- of lots ignore the floor issue and actually can illuminate buildings pretty well- I had a streetlight in front of a building and was surprised when I saw the shadow of a roof railing being cast up onto a wall behind it!

Low standards, I know.
Mad Poster
#45 Old 5th May 2017 at 2:08 AM
Nah the lighting-between floors was broken once they introduced basements in WA and then they basically never fixed it.

But if I can restore the code from before WA, perhaps I'll get a useful result.

insert signature here
Alchemist
#46 Old 5th May 2017 at 10:40 AM
I understand this feature is controversial within the TS4 community, but I'd love the ability to dress sims in the opposite gender's clothes without having to go through so many hoops to make them look right. Sure, you can enable them for the other gender but you'll still be left with seams, gaps and body shapes that ultimately require meshing or not-looking-too-closely to fix. It's easier to wing it for FTM sims since a lot of CC clothes coming out now are baggy, but MTF sims have much fewer options and ultimately end up wearing the same things over and over.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Scholar
#47 Old 5th May 2017 at 12:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
I understand this feature is controversial within the TS4 community, but I'd love the ability to dress sims in the opposite gender's clothes without having to go through so many hoops to make them look right. Sure, you can enable them for the other gender but you'll still be left with seams, gaps and body shapes that ultimately require meshing or not-looking-too-closely to fix. It's easier to wing it for FTM sims since a lot of CC clothes coming out now are baggy, but MTF sims have much fewer options and ultimately end up wearing the same things over and over.

It's a controversial feature? ...why? (Here, you once again can see my lack of world knowledge. Or, at least, my view of the world: it's not a big deal, so why are others making it one?)

I recall from Sims Bustin' Out (I think it was that one?) where, if your roommate was a different gender from your controlled Sim, they automatically cuddled when on a couch which raised not just fun from watching TV but also social.

Also, as previously mentioned: unbalanced relationships. If I want to create an unrequited love for a Sim, I should be able to.
Alchemist
#48 Old 5th May 2017 at 12:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
It's a controversial feature? ...why? (Here, you once again can see my lack of world knowledge. Or, at least, my view of the world: it's not a big deal, so why are others making it one?)

As I understand it, the feature was implemented in a patch, which means it was delivered to everyone. Apparently, some people didn't want those options in their game, even though they could choose to ignore the options (I don't think the game would automatically generate trans sims, it would have to be something user-directed).

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Mad Poster
#49 Old 5th May 2017 at 1:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil

I don't understand why this feature is controversial, but I do understand that opposite-gender clothes do not automatically make someone trans. I may not know any men who dress like women, but I certainly do know women who dress like men. And for those Sims who are inclined to do so, the gender update has been a godsend in TS4. In TS4 you now have more than double the amount of clothes available, and that probably increases the number of possible suitable, good-looking outfits at least tenfold. In TS3 I find that most CC clothes I use are for things the men already have, such as shirts or hoodies or suits.

Gender neutral outfits in TS4 - all vanilla

Gender neutral outfits in TS3 - all CC

Quote:
I recall from Sims Bustin' Out (I think it was that one?) where, if your roommate was a different gender from your controlled Sim, they automatically cuddled when on a couch which raised not just fun from watching TV but also social.

So two members of the opposite sex couldn't be friends, they had to be romantic? Wow, fuck that. That's even worse than not having same sex relationships.

insert signature here
Scholar
#50 Old 5th May 2017 at 4:23 PM
Yeah, I'd like to have not-so-full of prejudices (but the Pride may stay ) game but remember: it is designed to be "universally kids' friendly" (with sometimes completely failed imagination what kids' determines as "friendly"). Sorta.
And even that rainbow-ish version may sometimes be offensive (which country doomed some iteration as "adult only"? I do not remember exactly).

But universal clothing/solid sceleton would be great. That always was irritating - that constant hunt for good-looking preggy clothes, big-sim clothes (well, any non-grotesque model of "big-sim" would be appreciated), and so on.

I'd write also: proper data processing, but no game iteration has one, then... well - it's not on-topic.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Page 2 of 3