Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#26 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 2:46 AM
With the Katy Perry Showtime edition what you get is a disk for Showtime (with KP painted on it) and two unlock codes for The Sims 3 Website... One for the "Unlimited Edition Venue and Stage" (expires March 6th, 2013 but still worked for me) and another code for the actual Katy Perry Stuff (Expired December 31, 2013 and it won't work).

I guess the reason is the Unlimited Stage doesn't have KP content in it, and EA's deal with Ms. Perry means they can't distribute her licensed content anymore.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 8:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Macaroodle
Would you mind sharing how SP controls the rates they spawn at? I took a quick look through the StoryProgression FAQ and can't seem to find anything about the Showtime careers.

On City Hall or an in-game computer,
NRaas > SP > Town Options > Career:Disallow > (choose the three Showtime careers)
NRaas > SP > Town Options > Skill:Disallow > (choose the three Showtime career related skills)
(SP Skill add-on module required)

But what that does is stop SP from pushing those careers, it can't stop the game itself from doing so or spawning/re-purposing homeless sims for those slots.

Quote: Originally posted by MurderPrincessK
Also I enjoy street performers... this is a real life thing, I don't see it as a fantasy aspect that others do.

There are worlds where these fit in just fine, but others I play where I would rather just not have them. Or not have dozens of them clogging up the works when one or two of each type would suffice. And there are worlds where I've worked carefully to mold certain homeless Role Sims into what I want them to be and used NRaas Register to secure their assignments only to have them suddenly become street performers on me. I can work with making those Role Sims residents and still secure in their original Role assignments, but I don't have housing in town available for all of them in some cases.

Guess I'm spoiled. When I tell the game in no uncertain terms (by way of Register and SP) that I don't want a sim to have a certain function and they get it anyway, I sometimes want to make it (the game) stand in the corner and take a timeout while I consider other forms of punishment.
Scholar
#28 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 11:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
Witches can also clean house instantly, but it's at an insanely high level at 8 or 9 I think, And it rots the food in the fridge.

Oooooh... good to know. Now I just need to get a Witch into my household again.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 1:25 PM
Site Helper
#30 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 2:18 PM
Arsil has a restoration spell fix to keep the spell from messing with food in the fridge unless it's spoiled. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=556946

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Alchemist
#31 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 6:52 PM
Showtime is quite possibly the most controversial pack in the TS3 fandom, from what I've seen. Personally, I'm on the side that doesn't outright hate it, but still believes that it wasn't needed and that its execution was poor.

World: I tried giving Starlight Shores a go two times. Both times I gave up after bulldozing a lot of the venues and some ugly houses, because remodeling the world was too much of a time investment. Moreover I find its general design unappealing.

Background things: like igazor helpfully pointed out, unnecessary NPCs can slow down a game something fierce. The fact that every Showtime lot spawns with a proprietor, along with the pain of the game placing the lots for me when I start a town (for some reason it stopped asking me whether I want them to be placed or not at some point), makes SHT lose a lot of points in my book.

Professions: I have no interest in the singer, especially when I heard it can't be coupled with the LN bands. I have played acrobats and magicians once each, because the grind was too tedious compared to the new tricks they could do.

New lifestate: the genie is slightly more interesting than the Pets unicorn.

Social features: never used them, never will. Any social feature tied to a game's company is doomed to fail soon because:
1) interest drops fast after the novelty of it wears off;
2) SHT is required to use Simport, therefore limiting the pool of TS3 players even further;
3) the servers will inevitably shut down eventually, therefore rendering Simport unusable sometime in the future.

Objects and CAS: honestly, if it weren't for the domino table and some hairs and clothes, I would've uninstalled SHT a long time ago. I like the new Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwich recipe too, it looks delicious!

Other: I can't believe EA didn't take the opportunity to make Beetlejuice references!

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Mad Poster
#32 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 7:28 PM
I briefly gave the career options a shot when I first got the pack, then never touched them again. But then again, that goes for 9 out of every 10 Sims EPs. In fact, it's easy to list the packs I do play with properly:
- House Party
- Superstar
- Makin' Magic
- University (though admittedly only like twice)
- Nightlife (though rarely)
- Open For Business (duh)
- Apartment Life
- World Adventures
- Ambitions (though only the stylist and interior design careers)
- Late Night
- Into The Future

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
#33 Old 28th Jun 2017 at 1:30 AM
Genies are good but I'm not sure why they put genies in showtime and not supernatural.

I have Showtime and have never seen a genie or heard anything about them. I assumed they were from Supernatural.
Scholar
#34 Old 28th Jun 2017 at 3:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
There are worlds where these fit in just fine, but others I play where I would rather just not have them.

Well sure, if you are playing a world that they don't fit into it would be annoying, but that's not just this EP. There are plenty of worlds where taxis, speedboats, hover boards, werewolves, vampires, aliens, or college mascots just don't work. It all just depends on how you want to play. Maybe the community should draft a letter to EA about creating a game customized to turn features on and off as you want for different saves...............Hahaha, I'm just kidding, EA doesn't care.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Mad Poster
#35 Old 28th Jun 2017 at 10:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MurderPrincessK
Well sure, if you are playing a world that they don't fit into it would be annoying, but that's not just this EP. There are plenty of worlds where taxis, speedboats, hover boards, werewolves, vampires, aliens, or college mascots just don't work. It all just depends on how you want to play. Maybe the community should draft a letter to EA about creating a game customized to turn features on and off as you want for different saves...............Hahaha, I'm just kidding, EA doesn't care.

I don't think EA would have been expecting me to say, back when it was relevant, that these very different worlds are all in the same saved game (Traveler mod), so loading up different sets of EPs at different times would not be feasible. Even then I would lose dominoes and bananas (skee ball, etc.) within such a save. I'll be the first one to admit that I am not really their target audience when it comes to EP development and refinement.

Anyway, my point was that those other things are much easier, for me and apparently others we have worked with, to ignore, suppress by just not having them in play, or mod out as desired. The Showtime street performer slots seem to be much more resistant against any of those strategies.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 28th Jun 2017 at 10:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by newlibertysims
I only watch a few shows on Showtime. Personally, I prefer HBO. And Netflix.

Oh, you mean the Showtime expansion pack! I don't hate it. I think it comes with a lot of glamorous outfits and somewhat reusable set pieces, like the Katy Perry dessert furniture. I use the karaoke machine quite a bit, and I really like the hair options for both guys and girls. I only wish it had the cotton candy curls from Sweet Treats. :/

I want nothing to do with SimPort and other online features, though.

Don't like Overwatch either. I suck at mouse aiming, and I hate the fact that you need Battlenet for it.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 28th Jun 2017 at 5:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackjackGabbiani
I have Showtime and have never seen a genie or heard anything about them. I assumed they were from Supernatural.

Genies are in Showtime, you can get them for 30,000 Lifetime happiness points.

With into the future, you build a robot army to loot the Graveyard's mausoleum. I send in 3-4 Plumbots until I get a bunch of special seeds (death flowers and life fruit is what I want), all the magic potion gems (if playing SN), tiberium or supernovium (which come with WA but is really only useful if you have university so you can clone them - far better than making plasma bugs all day!) and half a dozen genie lamps.

With a bunch of genie lamps I do the usual Genie wishes: beauty and happiness. The Long Life Genie Wish is useful only if playing without Generations (Young again potion) or SN (Fountain of Youth Potion) or if you're playing a teenager who doesn't want to age up and you're short of life fruit. The Genie "Wish for Love" is an admission of social failure, imho, and I rarely use it - University's Relationship transmogrifier or SN potent friendship make that a wasted wish. Usually I use them to wish for money, at $100,000 x 2 Wishes. Then travel and get another genie.

OF course, with all these lamps, I gotta build a harem or he-ram if my sim is female. So, I take all these lamps and put all the women genie lamps on the dresser, and the guy genie lamps I take to University, the Future, or on a WA vacation. The traveled to world may or may not let you summon a new genie, but you WILL get a new Genie when you go back to the home world. On returning home, clean the lamp again, and a new genie appears. Women genies go on the dresser (coffee table works too) and guys are used for 2 more $100,000 wishes, then another trip.

I found a way to get the genies out of the lamp without freeing the Genie. Make a wish, then socialize with them. Get them to hang around your home, then leave with the lamp; again ITF, WA or Uni. When you come back, the Lamp has a new genie BUT the old genie is homeless. They can't grant wishes because they can't rest without their lamp and they now have no lamp. They're like guest who can't leave.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 28th Jun 2017 at 6:34 PM Last edited by igazor : 28th Jun 2017 at 8:51 PM.
@Emmett Brown - I've got some news for you. Barbara Eden is 85 years old but is still a force to be reckoned with. I don't think she's going to be very pleased to hear about all this abuse of "her" people.

Igazor, that was just a role she played and it was over fifty years ago.

Yeah, whatever...
Instructor
#39 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 9:42 PM
For me, it was

(1) The waste of a perfectly good EP spot. At the time, EA was releasing about 2 EPs a year. That means we had to wait months before getting new content. After a set number of EPs, they dumped the game and started promoting the Sims 4. Surely, they could have done better, like an EP to manage your own business, perhaps restaurants with waiters, etc., etc.

(2) For me, the mark of a good EP is one that keeps me interested and entertained until the next EP comes out. I got bored with this EP pretty quickly.

(3) I don't think the people who put this EP together played the game. They certainly did not play the earlier EPs. They created an entirely new music career (singer) rather than building on one of the two music careers which had already appeared in the game. It would have been nice if the singers could perform with a band!

(4) The programmers got lazy. In the past, advancing in a skill was distinct from the career. For example, if you perfected your guitar skill, you could advance as a musician. In Showtime, the skill was merged with the career.

(5) I did spend many hours playing with the EP and the world, but always found it rather limiting. I would rather plop a stage or other venue down in another world. There is only so much one could do in the world which came with the game.
Mad Poster
#40 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 1:38 AM
Definitely a lack of integration with other EPs- not integrating other skills and careers into the pack was a huge mistake (imagine being able to be a professional band or a classical pianist or even putting on a ballet show).

So now we basically have two parallel career tracks, neither of which are satisfactory.

This pack was a symbol of EA going for goal/track-based gameplay over adaptive gameplay.
Top Secret Researcher
#41 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 3:14 AM
@Emmett Brown - I've got some news for you. Barbara Eden is 85 years old but is still a force to be reckoned with. I don't think she's going to be very pleased to hear about all this abuse of "her" people.

Igazor, that was just a role she played and it was over fifty years ago.

Yeah, whatever...

Never understood why my mother wouldn't let me watch "I Dream of Jeanie" because of her skimpy outfit, but I could watch Annette Funicello's beach movies all day long. Funicello showed more skin than Eden.

It was when my older niece (she was about 5 years older than myself) came over one day and wanted to watch it; then it was okay 'cuz guest. I still think of my niece in a genie outfit. (she sort of looked like a teenage Ms. Eden). Come to think of it, my niece was babysitting me and mom wasn't there.

Tried to make a Sims genie look like Ms. Eden, but I'm not that good of a CAS artist.

Ever notice that all the genies appearance are exactly the same? I mean, different weight settings and of course traits, but they're all identical meshes.
Mad Poster
#42 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 6:03 AM
Never understood why my mother wouldn't let me watch "I Dream of Jeanie" because of her skimpy outfit, but I could watch Annette Funicello's beach movies all day long. Funicello showed more skin than Eden.

It was when my older niece (she was about 5 years older than myself) came over one day and wanted to watch it; then it was okay 'cuz guest. I still think of my niece in a genie outfit. (she sort of looked like a teenage Ms. Eden). Come to think of it, my niece was babysitting me and mom wasn't there.

Tried to make a Sims genie look like Ms. Eden, but I'm not that good of a CAS artist.

Ever notice that all the genies appearance are exactly the same? I mean, different weight settings and of course traits, but they're all identical meshes.

Ah yes, the network censor wars and Ms. Eden brought us the Navel Battles of the 60s. I don't think that one was ever on the (short) list of shows I was forbidden to watch, though.

My in-game genies mate with the local population. Most of them are 2nd and 3rd generation hybrids by now, so they don't all really look the same anymore. And again, none of them live in lamps as that would be uncivilized.
Top Secret Researcher
#43 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 6:49 AM
Ah yes, the network censor wars and Ms. Eden brought us the Navel Battles of the 60s. I don't think that one was ever on the (short) list of shows I was forbidden to watch, though.

My in-game genies mate with the local population. Most of them are 2nd and 3rd generation hybrids by now, so they don't all really look the same anymore. And again, none of them live in lamps as that would be uncivilized.

That's what I was going to do! Use icarus_allsorts "transmorgifier" mod to change a genie lamp into an alchemy bottle
Test Subject
#44 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 7:27 AM
I don't hate Showtime but I don't play with the features much, part from using buy/build/cas-items. I didn't enjoy Late Night either, which I feel have almost the same theme. I suppose shows and parties aren't my thing.
Scholar
#45 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 11:31 AM Last edited by Elynda : 1st Jul 2017 at 1:41 PM.
Originally posted by Emmett Brown: "Tried to make a Sims genie look like Ms. Eden, but I'm not that good of a CAS artist".

I knew I had an old shot of Jeanie somewhere. I downloaded her from TSR ages ago and I still have her in my sim bin. And that's Major Tony Nelson next to her, both were made by squarepeg56. That shot was taken before I had Showtime, so she wasn't yet a 'real' genie, but I later turned her into one using Master Controller. That gave her skin a slightly blue cast though.

As for Showtime, I don't dislike it, but a few things could have been done better. It would have been nice if bands could have used the Showtime stages. The singing career integrated with the bands would have been even better.

The one aspect of Showtime that really does annoy me is that before my sim has a chance to befriend his/her co-workers they all quit to become singers, acrobats or magicians. I'm not sure if that only happens with custom careers, which I use a lot, or whether its all of them, but its damned annoying.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Field Researcher
#46 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 12:00 PM

What do you mean by "identical meshes"?
Mad Poster
#47 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 2:40 PM
Ever notice that some of the CAS items in Showtime are really just retextured items from other packs?

insert signature here
Top Secret Researcher
#48 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Elynda
Originally posted by Emmett Brown: "Tried to make a Sims genie look like Ms. Eden, but I'm not that good of a CAS artist".

I knew I had an old shot of Jeanie somewhere. I downloaded her from TSR ages ago and I still have her in my sim bin. And that's Major Tony Nelson next to her, both were made by squarepeg56. That shot was taken before I had Showtime, so she wasn't yet a 'real' genie, but I later turned her into one using Master Controller. That gave her skin a slightly blue cast though.

That's a pretty good Sim of B. Eden as "Jeanie".
I searched the downloads for squarepeg56, and came up with nuthin'. I would love to have that sim.
Scholar
#49 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 8:52 PM
That's a pretty good Sim of B. Eden as "Jeanie".
I searched the downloads for squarepeg56, and came up with nuthin'. I would love to have that sim.

https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...ie-/id/1151561/

Hope that works for you, I just tried it and it seems okay.

Here's the one for Tony Nelson too if you want it.

https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...on-/id/1151603/

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Field Researcher
#50 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 11:55 PM
On City Hall or an in-game computer,
NRaas > SP > Town Options > Career:Disallow > (choose the three Showtime careers)
NRaas > SP > Town Options > Skill:Disallow > (choose the three Showtime career related skills)
(SP Skill add-on module required)

But what that does is stop SP from pushing those careers, it can't stop the game itself from doing so or spawning/re-purposing homeless sims for those slots.

Thanks, I appreciate it! It's really reduced the number of performers being assigned!

Hey- if you said something to me in a post and I didn't write back, I'm sorry. Sometimes I don't feel good enough to post and by the time I'm able to the thread's old enough that I feel kind of weird about bumping it just to post one or two sentences. So please don't take it personally! :)
Page 2 of 3