Replies: 37 (Who?), Viewed: 4440 times.
Page 1 of 2
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 9:44 PM Last edited by pretenshus : 31st Jul 2017 at 12:33 AM.
Default I've never heard of anyone drooling over ITF but is it ..ok?
I'm thinking about getting ITF just for the heck of it. I play my game from all types of angles but have never been interested in Sci-Fi until now. I'm just wondering if it's done well enough for what it is.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 9:58 PM
Yeah, it's great. The Build/Buy Mode content is very useful for modern builds. The world, the CAS content and the new music are also pretty cool, but it needs to be your kind of thing.
I'd have bought it just for the stupid, nerdy references alone. Now that it's really cheap everywhere (at least where I live), you should totally get it.
And again, the modern houses. I can't live without my ITF stuff anymore, everything I build uses it.

Hypocrisy is only okay if I do it.
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 10:18 PM
I've heard it badly slows the game, but so does MOST of the EP's, really.

I kind of want to try it too, if only for all the cool items it has, and maybe plumbots. Don't really care much about the time-traveling aspect, though, which is what prevents me from going ahead and getting it...
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLeafeon
Don't really care much about the time-traveling aspect, though, which is what prevents me from going ahead and getting it...

Well, it's optional. Like all of the other EPs. When ITF first came out, I wished that the future items were only available for purchase in the future, but now I get it why they didn't make it like that. At the time, I thought that would've been a really cool idea. Also, you can make department stores with ITF. Futuristic department stores, that is.

Hypocrisy is only okay if I do it.
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#5 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLeafeon
I've heard it badly slows the game, but so does MOST of the EP's, really.


No, I disagree. EPs that modify and adjust your current sims will badly slow the game. Generations, showtime, ambition, etc are 3 big ones I can think of. Seasons also, because it adds ... seasons into your game.

Most of ITF's elements are isolated into the future world, so it doesn't really affect your current game or sims. Fact is, if you never travel to the future, you may not even realize you have the expansion. The future world also runs extremely smooth, probably because it is a small world and doesn't have a lot of community lots and rabbitholes in it. Most community lots are actually just parks. You may, of course, edit and add to the world as you please. You will require a mod to make other rabbithole function in the future as careers. I added gyms, bars from Nightlife, resorts from IP, etc... and it still runs better than other worlds. Again, probably b/c it is small and it has no natural water, so no water crossing from IP and no frozen lake from Seasons.

So if you are interested in ITF b/c of their items etc..., definitely get it. If you don't want the whole future experience, simply don't travel to the future. If you do go to the future, there is only 1 warning I give people. Don't bring future sims back to your world. You can bring your own household back, but don't bring anyone you marry or kids you have in the future. These sims have "future trait" and the game will generate future items into their inventory. Seems harmless at first, however after a few generations, their kids and descendants in your home will all have the future trait. Soon it will overtake your town like a plague and you'll have 100 hoverboards in your global sims inventory etc... If you do wish to bring your future sims back home, use NRAAS MC and remove the future trait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrijzePilion
Well, it's optional. Like all of the other EPs. When ITF first came out, I wished that the future items were only available for purchase in the future,


Yeah I thought the same b/c I felt the whole point of going to the future is meaningless if you can just build your own plumbot in the present. It also irritates me when future sims are in the present and they automatically have jetpacks and hoverboards in their inventory. But I do appreciate having the furnitures in the present. They have a lot of more modern looking furnitures that I like. Seems like Sims creators are obsessed with antiquity even way back to Sims 2 and 1. Most furnitures that come with the game and EPs seems to fit more in some renaissance era.

Have you tried to make a department store in the present? I haven't tried it. I was hoping that the coding would turn it into the present like they do with the cafeteria, you know having human waiters instead of plumbots.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
No, I disagree. EPs that modify and adjust your current sims will badly slow the game. Generations, showtime, ambition, etc are 3 big ones I can think of. Seasons also, because it adds ... seasons into your game.

Most of ITF's elements are isolated into the future world, so it doesn't really affect your current game or sims. Fact is, if you never travel to the future, you may not even realize you have the expansion. The future world also runs extremely smooth, probably because it is a small world and doesn't have a lot of community lots and rabbitholes in it. Most community lots are actually just parks. You may, of course, edit and add to the world as you please. You will require a mod to make other rabbithole function in the future as careers. I added gyms, bars from Nightlife, resorts from IP, etc... and it still runs better than other worlds. Again, probably b/c it is small and it has no natural water, so no water crossing from IP and no frozen lake from Seasons.

So if you are interested in ITF b/c of their items etc..., definitely get it. If you don't want the whole future experience, simply don't travel to the future. If you do go to the future, there is only 1 warning I give people. Don't bring future sims back to your world. You can bring your own household back, but don't bring anyone you marry or kids you have in the future. These sims have "future trait" and the game will generate future items into their inventory. Seems harmless at first, however after a few generations, their kids and descendants in your home will all have the future trait. Soon it will overtake your town like a plague and you'll have 100 hoverboards in your global sims inventory etc... If you do wish to bring your future sims back home, use NRAAS MC and remove the future trait.


Wow! This all sounds really neat! Are there any restrictions on the EP's items? I typically dont play EP worlds but edit small worlds into miniature versions. I'd really hate to get the ep and find out interactions and a lot of the neat stuff is tied to the future area.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretenshus
Wow! This all sounds really neat! Are there any restrictions on the EP's items? I typically dont play EP worlds but edit small worlds into miniature versions. I'd really hate to get the ep and find out interactions and a lot of the neat stuff is tied to the future area.


No, there are no restrictions as far as I know. It is what we were discussion above, we actually wanted restrictions. But alas, no... haha everything in the future you can build yourself in the present --- even the monorail I heard, but that requires some skills in modifying some coding and iono, complicated.

The only major difference that happens there is that all service sims are plumbots and most NPCs are also plumbots. Though you can create plumbots in the present as part of your resident, but your present world will not replace NPCs etc... with plumbots. But yes, even future rabbitholes can be used in the present so you can have future jobs in the present.

Oh, and of course the descendant function only works in the future as obviously you would not have descendants in the present. There are also various quests etc... that goes with your time almanac which requires you to travel to the future. But building worlds, lots, etc... items, etc... all have no restrictions.


Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
...


wait no thats perfect! I dont do legacy or anything. I'll probably just take a small and make it all ITF-esque and play that way. I've never experimented too much with simbots and aliens so it would be nice to have a save where I don't have to stretch their reason for existing
Mad Poster
#9 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 11:47 PM
Like LGR said in his review of ITF back in 2013, the way the future is set up would also have worked as a separate game, like Medieval.
It's essentially a standalone environment in that there's a futuristic equivalent for nearly everything in the game...except for most of the rabbit holes, like Nitromon said. Much like SimCity's Cities of Tomorrow, which also has a future equivalent for everything already in the game, and which is also set in the same future.

Hypocrisy is only okay if I do it.
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#10 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrijzePilion
Like LGR said in his review of ITF back in 2013, the way the future is set up would also have worked as a separate game, like Medieval.
It's essentially a standalone environment in that there's a futuristic equivalent for nearly everything in the game...except for most of the rabbit holes, like Nitromon said. Much like SimCity's Cities of Tomorrow, which also has a future equivalent for everything already in the game, and which is also set in the same future.


If only Sims Medieval was a TS3 expansion called "Into the Past"

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 1:29 AM
The ITF cd actually broke my game, so I never got a chance to play it. I think it's just my laptop, though (it hates most CDs/DVDs/BRs, and round discs of any kind, except for TS2 in its entirety - no idea why, and haven't found a solution yet, but I may be able to play through Origin if I bothered). Did look interesting, even though I'm not much into future/past kind of games.
Inventor
Original Poster
#12 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 1:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
The ITF cd actually broke my game, so I never got a chance to play it. I think it's just my laptop, though (it hates most CDs/DVDs/BRs, and round discs of any kind, except for TS2 in its entirety - no idea why, and haven't found a solution yet, but I may be able to play through Origin if I bothered). Did look interesting, even though I'm not much into future/past kind of games.

I think I'm just going to go through origin. I'm super excited but I'm going to buy it tmro when im calm and mentally prepared
Mad Poster
DELETED POST
31st Jul 2017 at 2:07 AM
This message has been deleted by GrijzePilion. Reason: No you didn't
Mad Poster
#13 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 2:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
The ITF cd actually broke my game, so I never got a chance to play it.

I had the same thing with Pets at first...it only worked the third time around.
(Pets broke a lot of shit, didn't it?)

Hypocrisy is only okay if I do it.
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#14 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 2:20 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 31st Jul 2017 at 2:34 AM.
Pets did break some things ingame, but not to the point of the game being completely unusable. I've never had any of the TS2 discs create any problems. My M&G disc is 8 years old and still works fine, so I can't understand how a disc directly from a newly unwrapped box can be screwed up.

The ITF disc completely wrecked my game, and when in the disc drive it made some very strange noises (that I've later learned happens with all the discs my laptop doesn't like - happens with most store-bought DVDs too). It's the same with the TS4 discs. I was only able to play TS4 through Origin, after some tinkering where I first installed the CD that worked, and then repaired the game. Most discs from ITF and on made by EA have caused issues for me. I suspect some copy protection or whatever it is that EA puts on their discs (or nargles). Nowadays, TS4 is mostly one humongous update machine that I don't even dare to open because my laptop is running out of space.

I did watch several "let's play" on Youtube that showed the ITF gameplay, and it looked quite fun at the time, but with most TS3 and TS4 oh-so-fancy new items, I feel it's mostly just the same gameplay recycled over and over again in a slightly different format with maybe a few new animations thrown in, and rarely anything new. Maybe because the game developers either try (and fail) to duplicate something that worked fine in the previous edition, or they make a half-hearted version of something that looks new and shiny but really is just a mix of rabbit holes and text boxes, wrapped into a gift packet with a bow consisting of half-ar*ed animations.

I do recommend watching some "Let's play" videos if you're unsure of whether to get a game. That way you can see some of then new functions in action without EA's glorified trailers to make everything shiny.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 3:54 AM
After not playing Oasis Landing as EA intended (with travel to the 3 future timelines) since it came out, I recently started playing it again and I'm liking it more now than I did before. My game load time is about 2 minutes and I'm in the 3rd timeline with my save game. Using NRaas Story Progression, other mods and CC, the world is playing smoothly. The only routing problem I've had is a Sim somehow got stuck in the graveyard inside a block of hedges, I deleted one square of hedge and he got out himself.

I add the build/buy objects to most of my towns. It was worth it at full price, on sale it's a 'must have' IMO.

If you want to look, here's a link to some happenings happening in my Oasis Landing game:
https://leealeesims3.wordpress.com/...nto-the-future/

ETA: If you want to expand the future world, you can change the lots to regular residential or community and place more builds in the world. Almost forgot- your Sims can stay as long as they like, there's no minimum or maximum time limit.
Theorist
#16 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 3:18 PM
I think it is/was a fun addition to the game. I tend to play traditional hoods/builds most often, so it is a road less taken when I do modern. I enjoyed it quite a lot. Enough that I moved my legacy family there for quite a while and did a lot of building there. Some of the hair and clothes and items are darn fun. And I liked building the bots. And the hover cars, and, and......
dodgy builder
#17 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 5:20 PM
The floor to ceiling windows and fitting floor windows are beautiful for modern buildings. It's worth the exp all on their own.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 5:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvenom
The floor to ceiling windows and fitting floor windows are beautiful for modern buildings. It's worth the exp all on their own.

I couldn't possibly live without those windows these days. The kitchen counters and indoor planting options are very nice too. I'm just missing fitting doors for the windows.

Hypocrisy is only okay if I do it.
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#19 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 8:07 PM
Its fine, but it would be perfect with a Delorian for the time machine.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 8:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett Brown
Its fine, but it would be perfect with a Delorian for the time machine.

That one's not gonna go anywhere anyway without the equipment it's missing.
And, uh, are those graphics intentional?

Hypocrisy is only okay if I do it.
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#21 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 9:17 PM
I haven't gotten around to actually playing it just yet, but I personally really enjoy the theme. In fact, I'd say it's easily my favorite of the 'new ideas' for Expansion Packs in TS3. I love being given different ways to play the game and different times is something I've always really wanted to see. I still wish they had done some historical times as well, but what can be done? It's just a single Expansion Pack. Perhaps this would be something to expand on in a future base game (optionally, of course).

I really need to get around to playing it, there's so much I'm yet to do in the game because most of the span of The Sims 3 I did not have a proper PC to run it but now I do. I just have to say I love hover cars. Just really love them. lol

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
Mad Poster
#22 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 9:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassoon_crazy
I just have to say I love hover cars. Just really love them. lol

They're honestly my least favourite part of the back. Partly because of the stupid idea, hover cars that have the exact same functionality as regular cars,
but mostly because they look like something from a bad 90s sci-fi movie.
I mean, they really did a bad job on those designs. If they'd just taken the little futuristic cars from SimCities of Tomorrow, and made full-scale models of them, it would've been fine.
Actually - be right back. I have a point to prove here.

Hypocrisy is only okay if I do it.
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#23 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 9:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrijzePilion
but mostly because they look like something from a bad 90s sci-fi movie.


Well, that maybe kind of the point. It's cheesy fun. Which I think is the charm of such a concept.

Fortunately, we have a modding community, so it's probably possible to make hovercars more to your liking.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
Mad Poster
#24 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 10:11 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 31st Jul 2017 at 10:24 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassoon_crazy
Well, that maybe kind of the point. It's cheesy fun. Which I think is the charm of such a concept.

I'm always surprised about how clueless people seem about visuals and design. They literally have an entire time whose only job it is to crank out good-looking designs for things, and for Into The Future their job was to create something as futuristic-looking as they could, while also making it vaguely reminiscent of mainstream future movies.
That's not what they did. No futuristic vehicle looks like the ones they designed. It's closer to the god-awful cars from Total Recall or Timecop than the ones from any modern sci-fi work.

And like I said, people (in this case, you) don't really understand this sort of thing. When I say TS4 is an ugly game, people say it's "cartoonish". They don't understand that those are two different, unrelated things. When I say that typical 80s design is truly unique and timeless, people fall back to the overused cliché stuff. They don't understand that I'm talking about the harmony in shapes and colours, and the attitudes and inspirations that made certain designs become what they are.
And for all the many things I'm bad at in life, I'm truly very, very good at dissecting and observing the aesthetics of things. And that's why I know that the cars from ITF are a damn shame - because the rest of the pack is pretty good in that aspect.

Hypocrisy is only okay if I do it.
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
-.-- -.-- --..
retired moderator
#25 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrijzePilion
And like I said, people (in this case, you) don't really understand this sort of thing.

I think you don't understand that the OP asked for opinions, and @bassoon_crazy offered one. Do you really have to insult everyone in the thread?

I am considering purchasing ITF, so am appreciating everyone's comments.
Page 1 of 2
Back to top