Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

The Third Person Mod

by QuackGames Posted 3rd Apr 2019 at 9:04 PM - Updated 8th Aug 2019 at 1:54 PM by QuackGames

281 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 180 Feedback Posts, 100 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 12
Test Subject
#2 Old 3rd Apr 2019 at 9:47 PM
I'm just curious, do scripting mods go into override or do they go into packages?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Apr 2019 at 9:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SkinnyLegendZith
I'm just curious, do scripting mods go into override or do they go into packages?

Packages. This mod doesn't override anything in the game. It just adds funcionality.
Inventor
#4 Old 3rd Apr 2019 at 10:44 PM
At first I thought it was a belated April Fools joke, but it isn't and it works really, really well. Better than I anticipated.ç
I have a couple of suggestions/bug reports:
- I noticed Sims in third person mode aren't able to go across a bridge (the green one from Ambitions is the one I tried, I should try the one in Bridgeport just in case) unless you use the Go Here interaction.
- It'll be interesting to have some limited zoom in/zoom out in third person mode.
- It definitely works better when you disable autonomy for the selected Sim, but I don't want to doing manually everytime I want to use the TPM. Would it be possible to add a tunable option so I can choose to have autonomy for selected Sim set to disabled when I go to TPM and back to enabled when I exit.
- I don't know if it's possible but it'll be really cool to have the ability to interact with objects your Sim is facing (like the PS2 version) by pressing a key (E, for example).

Regardless, this is probably one of the best mods I've seen. You did an extraordinary job, QuackGames!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 3rd Apr 2019 at 11:11 PM
Holy shit.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Apr 2019 at 11:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
At first I thought it was a belated April Fools joke, but it isn't and it works really, really well. Better than I anticipated.ç
I have a couple of suggestions/bug reports:
- I noticed Sims in third person mode aren't able to go across a bridge (the green one from Ambitions is the one I tried, I should try the one in Bridgeport just in case) unless you use the Go Here interaction.
- It'll be interesting to have some limited zoom in/zoom out in third person mode.
- It definitely works better when you disable autonomy for the selected Sim, but I don't want to doing manually everytime I want to use the TPM. Would it be possible to add a tunable option so I can choose to have autonomy for selected Sim set to disabled when I go to TPM and back to enabled when I exit.
- I don't know if it's possible but it'll be really cool to have the ability to interact with objects your Sim is facing (like the PS2 version) by pressing a key (E, for example).

Regardless, this is probably one of the best mods I've seen. You did an extraordinary job, QuackGames!

Thanks for your feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed the mod!

World bridges are a real pain to deal with because they are not part of the terrain and they are not "portals" (like doors or stairs). The routing system in the game has it's own seperate way of handling them and make the Sims treat them as terrain, which I was not able to replicate here because most of the routing code is embed deep inside the engine. I will try to look into it though.

Good call, I'll see what I can do about those.

That would be cool indeed, but how do you suggest doing that without having to overhaul the entire interaction interface? I've thought of something like you press E and it chooses the first interaction, or a random interaction, with said object. But I don't think that's much intuitive, since most of the time you won't know what your Sim will do when you press E. I'm open for suggestions if you have any.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#7 Old 3rd Apr 2019 at 11:20 PM
This is amazing! Thank you so much for creating this!
Field Researcher
#8 Old 3rd Apr 2019 at 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
Holy shit.

Saaaaame! OMFG. This is gonna be... I need to try this. Wow!

Thank you!

Dead Ringers
Discord: RedBaroness13
Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 12:03 AM
A few observations:

It's incredibly hard to use indoors, because the camera is quite far away from the Sim and has a pretty low FOV. I ended up having my view blocked by a wall 90% of the time. Being able to change the camera angle in some way, maybe even with middle mouse button like in the regular Live Mode, would solve this. As a bit of a filmmaker, this would also enable me to use this mod to create interesting new shots!

Since I only had a few large enough lots to test this mod on, I decided to go outdoors. Walking around the world is fun and straightforward, but I found myself reaching for a car pretty quickly. Since only the Go Here interaction was usable from this mode, I'd have to go into Map Mode to select a location to drive to, and then I'd have to go back into Third Person to follow my Sim. Luckily, the mod knows how to handle Sims being in cars. I just wish there were some sort of Travel To Lot interaction accessible by clicking anywhere on the ground.

Sims will turn 90 degrees from standstill when you tap W or S. While I figured this out pretty quickly, it was still pretty hard to point my Sim in the right direction!

I also didn't get the chance to have my Sim use an elevator, but I'm curious to know if the camera won't do anything crazy while my Sim is in there. Thanks a ton for this great mod, though, it's pretty damn good as is.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#10 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 12:07 AM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 4th Apr 2019 at 12:38 AM.
Oh, and before I forget.....I had my Sim try to walk over a bridge, and instead he jumped straight into the water below it! Being able to swim reminded me of older GTA games which had the same jerky animations. I'm not saying I expect my Sims will ever be able to steal a car or carry guns around town, but it's definitely the sort of thing this mod implies. Maybe there's a greater potential for this mod?

Edit: doing a small mod showcase video on this. Should be up tomorrow.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 1:03 AM
Edit: doing a small mod showcase video on this. Should be up tomorrow.

Send me a link when you do. I'll enjoy watching it.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#12 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 1:08 AM
mds como ninguém tinha feito isso antes? quer dizer, ainda bem! achei foda o mod! principalmente por serem brasileiros! parabéns galera!!!
Inventor
#13 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 1:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by QuackGames
That would be cool indeed, but how do you suggest doing that without having to overhaul the entire interaction interface? I've thought of something like you press E and it chooses the first interaction, or a random interaction, with said object. But I don't think that's much intuitive, since most of the time you won't know what your Sim will do when you press E. I'm open for suggestions if you have any.

When you press "E" it could open the Pie Menu for the object directly in front of your Sim. From there, we could use the arrow keys to cycle through the available interactions and again "E" to select an interaction for the Sim to perform. I don't know if it's possible, but it's an idea. It would make the game playable using just a controller (using XPadder to bind keys to buttons). In the PS2 version of The Sims 2 the object your Sim is facing "glows" so you need that's the object you'll be interacting with.

Another thing I forgot to mention, rotation (using . and ,) must be enabled when in third person mode. It's almost impossible to use the third person mode indoors without it, as walls constantly block your vision.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 2:17 AM
Another thing I forgot to mention, rotation (using . and ,) must be enabled when in third person mode. It's almost impossible to use the third person mode indoors without it, as walls constantly block your vision.

It's incredibly hard to use indoors, because the camera is quite far away from the Sim and has a pretty low FOV. I ended up having my view blocked by a wall 90% of the time. Being able to change the camera angle in some way, maybe even with middle mouse button like in the regular Live Mode, would solve this. As a bit of a filmmaker, this would also enable me to use this mod to create interesting new shots!

Not to worry, I'll be working on an update to add that functionality as soon as possible.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#15 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 2:27 AM
Muito obrigado por ter feito esse mod, existem poucos mods de script pro The Sims que fazem mudanças drásticas na jogabilidade assim, simplesmente fantástico e espero que você traga mais trabalhos seus
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 2:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarryMartin
mds como ninguém tinha feito isso antes? quer dizer, ainda bem! achei foda o mod! principalmente por serem brasileiros! parabéns galera!!!

Quote: Originally posted by sagaty
Muito obrigado por ter feito esse mod, existem poucos mods de script pro The Sims que fazem mudanças drásticas na jogabilidade assim, simplesmente fantástico e espero que você traga mais trabalhos seus

Muito obrigado, pessoal! É bom ver gente conterrânea por aqui. Fico feliz que vocês gostaram do mod!
Scholar
#17 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 3:38 AM
Wow! 😲This looks amazing! I can't wait to try it out, Thank you!
Inventor
THANKS POST
#18 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 4:49 AM
Wow!! Thank you!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#19 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 5:11 AM
This is AMAZING! I had always wanted something like this since back in the days of playing Sims games on my Nintendo DS. Thank you so much for making something that was just a hopeful dream a reality. <3
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#20 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 6:05 AM
This is fucking gamechanging. This literally has the potential to change the entire modding scene for Sims 3, wtf
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 6:07 AM
Default French Translation !
Here is a French translation for your awesome job !
A big Thanks , your mod will revolutionize this awesome game ! I highly suggest you to introduce it on Youtube, then everyone knows and it can help a lot, you will be famous hehe

Note: "It definitely works better when you disable autonomy for the selected Sim, but I don't want to doing manually everytime I want to use the TPM. Would it be possible to add a tunable option so I can choose to have autonomy for selected Sim set to disabled when I go to TPM and back to enabled when I exit." ---------> I' m totally agree with this suggestion , if you can fix it, it would be Perfect !
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ThirdPersonStrings_FRENCH.zip (1.1 KB, 35 downloads)
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#22 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 6:27 AM
Best mod ever for the sims 3. I remember playing sims 2 on the PlayStation 2 and I could control my sim like that. I do hope that you or someone else can make this mod for the sims 2 PC and sims 4 PC. You definitely broke new ground with this mod.
Inventor
#23 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 7:07 AM
Default Spanish Translation
I translated your mod to Spanish, my native language. I kept it as neutral as possible so it should work for both Spanish and Mexican Spanish.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  ThirdPersonStrings_SPANISH.rar (926 Bytes, 32 downloads)
Description: Third Person Strings Spanish
Scholar
THANKS POST
#24 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 7:48 AM
That's really a great, ambitious mod - and I absolutely will try it right now! Thank you so much for giving the game a quite new dimension. 'For sure this will be quite a new experience.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 4th Apr 2019 at 9:42 AM
The german translation can't be downloaded and I don't know why ):
Attached files:
File Type: rar  ThirdPersonStrings_GER.rar (972 Bytes, 47 downloads)
Page 1 of 12