Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
dodgy builder
#26 Old 1st Feb 2020 at 6:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MissPat
Yes, it is.

No it sure is not.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#27 Old 1st Feb 2020 at 6:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
I was saying how I wished those features were a part of TS3 officially because I don't want to play with too many mods and affect my gameplay performance. While mods are nice and all for the most part, I'd rather not entirely depend on mods for everything and have my own way of achieving a similar effect.

Ah ok! Makes sense.

I really do enjoy the gameplay and the A.I. aspect of this game so it's all a win for me.

I hear you.

Besides, taking turns and playing most of my Sims in rotation is not only fun but insightful. I find the memory of each and every A.I. carried on is quite fascinating and I can see how past events in some of my Sims lives still affect them such as in how they act and/or react autonomously with other Sims.

Same! This is totally how I enjoy my game - for all the feels + insights.

Anyway, in the future I would like to create a spreadsheet for all my Sim generations. I'm a newbie at Excel but there are plenty of tutorials that can help.

Totally - you're going to have a blast! I find spreadsheets awesome for keeping tabs (pun intended) on sims' autonomous actions, especially the happy surprises. It helps appreciate the game dynamics so much more (the impact of traits on LTWs fulfillment progress, relationships, career progression, etc.)
Mad Poster
#28 Old 1st Feb 2020 at 7:16 PM
I haven't even bothered to read what this thread is actually about, because I can't get over the fact that the title is so annoyingly vague. I thought this would've been about family trees or favourite builds or slave dungeons or some shit like that. Someone give me a hint.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#29 Old 1st Feb 2020 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
I haven't even bothered to read what this thread is actually about, because I can't get over the fact that the title is so annoyingly vague.

I was aiming for "intriguing title", not "annoyingly vague"...

Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
I thought this would've been about family trees or favourite builds or slave dungeons or some shit like that. Someone give me a hint.

I'm showing my spreadsheet in the original post where essentially, I keep track of my sims progress / key data and asking fellow simmers to show their spreadsheets too, if they fancy (a few did). Family trees did come up in the thread.
dodgy builder
#30 Old 1st Feb 2020 at 8:25 PM
I want this thread to be about my Sims!!! *angry poop* :p
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#31 Old 1st Feb 2020 at 8:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I want this thread to be about my Sims!!! *angry poop* :p

Haha, it can be! Show your sims
Forum Resident
#32 Old 2nd Feb 2020 at 7:17 PM
Ah ok! Makes sense.

I hear you.

Same! This is totally how I enjoy my game - for all the feels + insights.

Totally - you're going to have a blast! I find spreadsheets awesome for keeping tabs (pun intended) on sims' autonomous actions, especially the happy surprises. It helps appreciate the game dynamics so much more (the impact of traits on LTWs fulfillment progress, relationships, career progression, etc.)

I feel so late for not being as thorough in documenting all kinds of fascinating information but I think it's really interesting and inspiring to know others are aware of TS3 on this kind of observational level. Even though The Sims (2000) is quite complex, it is not as complex as TS3 which is the most advanced Sims game to date. However, even The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 shares the initially limited but now improved and advanced upon concept from the original, The Sims.

"The characters in the household do have their own ideas on how to conduct their lives, and do act on them, if you don't tell them what to do." -p42 under Autonomy of The Sims game manual

I'll also like to point out that later in that same paragraph it mentions how autonomous actions show up in the queue just like an user-directed one. This is nothing new and has continued since, but in TS it says that user-directed actions will always override autonomous actions. In TS3 it does but not always and I notice the A.I. sometimes fighting with me when they don't want to do something. Such as witnessing on more than a few occasions how Sims will continue their autonomous action and actually drop my user-directed intentionally. And sometimes if I push too much I even notice an upset expression on their face.

Additionally, TS3 has dramatically expanded autonomous behavior through even more intricate and in-depth A.I. learning algorithm and free-will. To me, this makes TS3 the most unique and dynamic life simulation game I have and may ever play. TS3 follows Will Wright's legacy and gets it right the first time with so much more to offer than TS2 in my opinion. Though, TS3 would have been even better with TS and TS2 in-depth open gameplay such as grocery stores, clothing stores, etc.

Back on topic, I tried my attempt at a family tree for the family I know has the most descendants first. I'm still planning on what to add and how to create the layout. My Sims have so many kids that it makes it a lot tougher to figure out the appropriate spacing.
Screenshots

Previous Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition (Hard Mode: Y!? All side missions and Riddler trophies/riddles/physical challenges completed in the main campaign.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham Knight
Mad Poster
#33 Old 2nd Feb 2020 at 10:07 PM
You all can see from my post that my Sims family has had pretty much the now former one child policy they had in China. I think that is gone now. In the few cases where there have been more than one I pick an heir I want to continue to play and move the other out. I play this way to keep it legacy style and not branch out all over the place. And as seen it keeps the family tree compact after over 30 generations. I had one family with 4 kids to meet a LTW but otherwise it is normally one. Also, as playing 2 lines in one household I tend to max out my 8 sims per household most of the time. Someone can only have a kid when one of the 4 elders is gone. So, this keeps it all pretty tight for tracking this crowd. :D

And totally off topic, Deshong, you look like a doll I have, and that is a compliment as she is a beautiful one. I am looking at her right now. You have a similar look to her and that is a very good thing.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#34 Old 2nd Feb 2020 at 10:41 PM
I feel so late for not being as thorough in documenting all kinds of fascinating information but I think it's really interesting and inspiring to know others are aware of TS3 on this kind of observational level.

It's never too late! I think we are all on a unique path with peaks and valleys when it comes to how we record our sims' data. I agree it's comforting to think "I'm not alone in my obsession with this type of information!" My fiancé hears me talk about it all the time, he's such a sweetheart because I am sure he's bored very quickly with all the details, haha. It's definitely different when an actual simmer echoes your insights on the game dynamics.

"The characters in the household do have their own ideas on how to conduct their lives, and do act on them, if you don't tell them what to do." -p42 under Autonomy of The Sims game manual

Aww, I remember reading this too. So many good memories thinking about TS1 and playing for the first time a life simulation game.

[...]in TS it says that user-directed actions will always override autonomous actions. In TS3 it does but not always and I notice the A.I. sometimes fighting with me when they don't want to do something. [...] Sims will continue their autonomous action and actually drop my user-directed intentionally. And sometimes if I push too much I even notice an upset expression on their face.

You just articulated an insight I had only captured intuitively... It's both fascinating and infuriating, lol! Would definitely explain the *many* failed mariages, failed careers, failed grades, and so on despite my clicks craze. And then you go - as we french say - "c'est la vie".

TS3 has dramatically expanded autonomous behavior through even more intricate and in-depth A.I. learning algorithm and free-will. [T]his makes TS3 the most unique and dynamic life simulation game I have and may ever play. TS3 follows Will Wright's legacy and gets it right the first time with so much more to offer than TS2 in my opinion.

You're right on the money. I love how articulated you are with your insights, I think we are kindred spirits on so many levels. I'm so glad we connected through this thread ❤
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#35 Old 2nd Feb 2020 at 10:49 PM
Default Answer to Deshong Continued
Though, TS3 would have been even better with TS and TS2 in-depth open gameplay such as grocery stores, clothing stores, etc.

What do you mean? I can't recall how the open world, grocery stores and clothing stores are like when playing TS2. I only remember that I loved TS2's "Open For Business" expansion pack. That's one of the gameplays that makes one want to become a freelancer / entrepreneur off screen That was a pretty addictive gameplay for me.

Back on topic, I tried my attempt at a family tree for the family I know has the most descendants first. I'm still planning on what to add and how to create the layout.

Looks good!

My Sims have so many kids that it makes it a lot tougher to figure out the appropriate spacing.

Haha, I know what you mean there! I believe the most sims I've heard of was @igazor in an Nraas thread who mentioned one couple in his game with 14 kids - wowzer. I think my max was 6 half-siblings and what made it tricky is that each had a different mom or a different dad.

I'm now only allowing 1 kid per couple (even for those who re-marry) because I once failed to quickly break off a marriage between distant cousins' and they had twin girls... needless to say both had the "crazy" trait and are impossible bachelorettes, ugh.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 3rd Feb 2020 at 1:57 AM
What do you mean? I can't recall how the open world, grocery stores and clothing stores are like when playing TS2. I only remember that I loved TS2's "Open For Business" expansion pack.

2 had actual lots you could visit and unless I am mixing up with 1, there were clothing booths to try on clothes even. As for the grocery stores, a married couple in my game woohooed in the photobooth in the grocery and Mrs C showed up and boy did she smack him with her purse! LOL

One of the things 2 and 4 did so much better than 3 is working restaurants. I miss that in 3. The professional kitchen was better than nothing but it was not the same. I also loved the hotels in 2.
Forum Resident
#37 Old 3rd Feb 2020 at 2:30 AM Last edited by Deshong : 3rd Feb 2020 at 3:26 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
You all can see from my post that my Sims family has had pretty much the now former one child policy they had in China. I think that is gone now. In the few cases where there have been more than one I pick an heir I want to continue to play and move the other out. I play this way to keep it legacy style and not branch out all over the place. And as seen it keeps the family tree compact after over 30 generations. I had one family with 4 kids to meet a LTW but otherwise it is normally one. Also, as playing 2 lines in one household I tend to max out my 8 sims per household most of the time. Someone can only have a kid when one of the 4 elders is gone. So, this keeps it all pretty tight for tracking this crowd. :D

And totally off topic, Deshong, you look like a doll I have, and that is a compliment as she is a beautiful one. I am looking at her right now. You have a similar look to her and that is a very good thing.

I'm the type of player that loves big families but also I've been giving my Sims way more freedom and I choose not to intervene, for the most part. I've heard of legacies and those sort of challenges but am not really familiar with that type of gameplay but it is fun to expand on the different ways I play so maybe some day I'll try it out.

My avatar is of a game character named Fragile from Death Stranding and the actress who plays her is Léa Seydoux. She is very pretty.

You're right on the money. I love how articulated you are with your insights, I think we are kindred spirits on so many levels. I'm so glad we connected through this thread ❤

Thanks, though sometimes words fail me, lol. Hmm, you remind me a bit of someone I used to talk to on the official Sims forum. She loves this kind of conversation about what we notice when diving deeper into the game than just swimming on the surface level. Especially about the A.I. Indeed, it's great to know there are more of us perceptive ones out there attune with our emotional intelligence which is why it may be instinctively familiar to pick up on the intricate nature of the A.I's human-like behavior. Though just as it says in TS game manual, "The section on The Soul of a Sim (page 37) gives you a little more insight into their motives and behaviors, which, as with people, can sometimes be puzzling." Sometimes I find myself perplexed what my TS3 Sims are even thinking or doing and at times can be confusing...even contradictory. I find it quite realistic.

What do you mean? I can't recall how the open world, grocery stores and clothing stores are like when playing TS2. I only remember that I loved TS2's "Open For Business" expansion pack. That's one of the gameplays that makes one want to become a freelancer / entrepreneur off screen That was a pretty addictive gameplay for me.

Looks good!

Haha, I know what you mean there! I believe the most sims I've heard of was @igazor in an Nraas thread who mentioned one couple in his game with 14 kids - wowzer. I think my max was 6 half-siblings and what made it tricky is that each had a different mom or a different dad.

I'm now only allowing 1 kid per couple (even for those who re-marry) because I once failed to quickly break off a marriage between distant cousins' and they had twin girls... needless to say both had the "crazy" trait and are impossible bachelorettes, ugh.

TS/TS2 has amazing open shopping gameplay that I always enjoyed...except the loading screens are kind of annoying to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBdIVShpCX4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J58TP70bjIQ

TS2 OFB is a lot fun. I really want to play now but not sure if it will work on this operating system but I'm sure there are workarounds.

Thanks, I have two new screenshots. I'm getting the hang of it. Decided to just include names and what world they are currently in as far as text goes. Now all I have to finish are the missing pictures later. Also want to update those placeholder screenshots to show their current age. I'll like to attempt other kinds of information tracking about my Sims in the future.

Edit: Forgot to mention, you said a topic where someone had 14 kids...was it me? This particular married couple has 14 kids. So many but an overwhelmingly large family is just fun for me. I love seeing the genetics.
Screenshots

Previous Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition (Hard Mode: Y!? All side missions and Riddler trophies/riddles/physical challenges completed in the main campaign.)

Mad Poster
#38 Old 3rd Feb 2020 at 3:03 AM
What do you mean? I can't recall how the open world, grocery stores and clothing stores are like when playing TS2.

Stores in Sims 2 (Circe Beaker buys a magazine, tries on clothes, and buys groceries).
https://youtu.be/yjy3oC7T7a4?t=72
Mad Poster
#39 Old 3rd Feb 2020 at 6:55 AM

TS/TS2 has amazing open shopping gameplay that I always enjoyed...except the loading screens are kind of annoying to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBdIVShpCX4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J58TP70bjIQ

Those were fun to see again. I had forgotten so much. And I think there was the voodoo shop in 1? My Sims loved to shop there as I recall.

As for loading screeens................... thank goodnes those are long gone in Sims. UM, oh right.......... they are not. And still annoying.
Forum Resident
#40 Old 3rd Feb 2020 at 6:03 PM
Don't think I've went to the voodoo shop as at that time I didn't get MM which I am guessing that is the EP it came with. However, some years ago I did buy and finish my TS collection but have not explored all there is yet in the missing EP's.

Specifically in this case I'm referring to loading screens every time a Sim wants to go somewhere off the home lot or any lot which is all present in TS/TS2/TS4. TS3 has one main loading screen at the beginning. 5 minutes more or less and then unlimited playtime with no more interruptions is winning to me compared to a main loading screen plus being bombarded with too many in-game loading screens. How much playtime does someone get once in TS3 world compared to TS/TS2/TS4 for one hour while visiting many community lots? Of course I don't fault TS/TS2 for being older games and were great and innovative for their times and still considered some of the best games ever created or at least to me.

I don't mind the loading screens when going and/or coming from university, vacation or moving to a new neighborhood because those are necessary to load a brand new neighborhood with all its Sims and information. Now I'm sure with today's technology loading screens can become a lot faster but I'm not sure if we are at a point where loading screens will become a thing of the past entirely. Some video games sometimes have longer loading screens but if the game in question is worth the wait time then I don't see myself being too fussy over it.

Mad Poster
#42 Old 7th Feb 2020 at 10:32 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 7th Feb 2020 at 10:51 PM.
I don't know about you, but I usually make checklists over the spreadsheets.

Currently, I find myself taking a census on an empty town. On the rich side of town, there's a witch who married a werewolf. The werewolf is the stepfather to an amazing 13 children. The man who fathered these children lives in a neighborhood called "The Egghead Society" where middle class scientists work together. In one house is a roommate situation with 6 30-somethings from Canada and they live near town square.

On the other house in the rich cul de sac, live magical warriors who were royalty in the distant past. They have enemies everywhere. Dressed in uniform, their mission is to protect the Sims of Traverston and the Galaxy.

The only offbeat family so far is the Fast Foodies. Wendy leads the ways. They even have a Chihuahua!

As I try remembering, I check off those I mentioned.

I never gave using Excel for The Sims 3 stats a thought.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#43 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 12:51 AM
That looks good and it looks like you are another one child policy player. We pretty much have to do this if we want to play down many generations.

OK I looked again and the heirs are males so if there were other kids they must have been kicked out! LOL
Forum Resident
#44 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 8:05 PM
The interesting thing about documenting Sim data and sharing is seeing how everyone has their own way of going about it according to how simplified or detailed they want it to be depending on the kind of information they want to record. Regardless, all of it seems to encourage creativity.

Found some more who keep track of their Sims from TS2. http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...25#startcomment

I created this Sim data sheet where I plan to list every single Sim I have in the world, except premades/role Sims/service Sims unless they become involved with my own created Sims. I'm still figuring things out. I wanted this to be short and simple but it turned out to be more comprehensive than I expected. When I think about it, it's a good idea for me to get as much information as possible to get the best understanding of each Sim and how to direct them according to their own motives (An emotion, desire, physiological need, or similar impulse that acts as an incitement to action. -https://www.thefreedictionary.com/motive <Because I copied and pasted). It also becomes easier to understand why my Sims act or react the way that they do because I know some or most of their life history.

Sims will often do as they please and tell their own stories which, for me, is fascinating to watch how their life unfolds without too much intervention. Though I think I will lower the amount of children they can autonomously try for because some of my households are congested which can make it difficult to play. Not to mention my lifespan for these Sims are crazy long and they literally have a 365 days/year and of course I changed pregnancy length to match.

When I observe TS3 there is not any in-game options to choose a sexual orientation but Sims do have one and will usually show and tell if you allow them to through their autonomous actions. Also, as much as I thought those love letters in the mail and the whole attraction system wasn't as accurate...I found out it's not as inaccurate as I first initially thought minus Sims being "attracted" to anyone and everyone because they share the same trait, skill, etc. I noticed one of my teen male Sims getting love letters only from males and it was later revealed he is gay with romantic wishes towards one of his classmates. Another interesting observation recently is my ex repair technician Sim turned resident, I moved him to Sunlit Tides to get away from his heartbreak and start over. Well, then I was playing as my other Sim Luna with him, Israel, as a townie. I had Luna befriend him but he seems to keep his distance like if she asked him what's his zodiac sign he'll get upset or sometimes he will just be mean to push her away a bit though it seems she quite patient with him. He sent a letter to her saying: "Um, I'm not so great at writing these things (and worse at saying them) but maybe you could ask me out sometime? If you wanted to?" I figure maybe he's more comfortable with her making the first move. So I started having her ask him out...as friends. He's been starting to use that self photo with interaction a lot with Luna which back in Moonlight Falls where he originated from he would use a lot for those he was fond of.

Anyway, the whole point of this is in relation to documenting as much as possible because it helps a lot in understanding my Sims and how might I direct them to a happy and fulfilling life. There is always something new to learn about my Sims so that's always entertaining and keeps the game fresh.
Screenshots

Forum Resident
#45 Old 3rd Mar 2020 at 7:27 PM
CAS/CASt can get quite slow with too many extra saved presets so I've decided to eventually delete most of them and go about retrieving my recolors in a different way. I would like to print it out so I don't need to use the Windows key to go back and forth or use my laptop. But, first I think I may want to resize those screenshots because they are really big though I prefer it that way especially for the extra small or small patterns.

I've seen pictures of such colorful jeans and yeah that's why there's so many and soon to be more recolors of jeans, lol. Besides, Spring is almost here and fits nicely with that kind of theme. Now I just need to figure out which of my Sims personalities can match that sort of casual (inspired mostly by Old Navy) style. Seriously, now I'm thinking I want to try out some colorful jeans this Spring too.

I am still planning on creating a look book for my Sims based on different styles such as in no particular order:
-Goth
-Punk
-Rock
-Casual
-Sexy
-Tomboy
-Grunge
-Lolita
-Steampunk
-Emo
-Beatnik
-Cyberpunk
-Sporty
-Etc (There are so many fashion styles/fashion subcultures. But of course I'll start with the ones I see my Sims as depending on their personalities and/or what I think they look good in.)

Besides recolors, look books there's also different makeup looks which I have not really gotten around to doing. But the 1920s, I think it is, inspired makeup from movie stars/celebrities is probably the closest I've come to starting something but that was a while ago. On another note, I think I will rename the Sheets in the Excel document to match each category such as Fabric, Geometric, etc. That way it will be easier to find a recolor I know is in a particular division.
Screenshots

Page 2 of 2