Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Mar 2020 at 11:46 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 29th Jan 2022 at 4:04 PM.
Default TS3 SimRipper beta testing requested - V0.6.0 1/29/2022
SimRipper is a tool to recreate sims from your game, fully morphed, and save the meshes and textures in a form suitable for import into Blender or Milkshape. It's still crude and very much in development so don't be surprised if stuff doesn't work yet. At this point it's doing usable meshes and texturing but they may have to be tweaked.

- Sims3packs are not supported yet.

To use:
- Extract the attached folder and run TS3SimRipper.exe.
- Select either a save game in the Saves folder (ex: Documents\Electronic Arts\Saves\Sunlit Tide Play Family.sims3) or a FOLDER containing saved sims (ex: Documents\Electronic Arts\SavedSims)
- Save games seem to contain only townies with one outfit, but I'm not at all sure. To get a specific sim you can save it to your SavedSims, which will also save all the outfits.
- Either way, the list of sims will appear and you can click on individual names to display and save the mesh and textures.

If you have problems please try with sims that use only EA stuff that came with the game, and report CC that doesn't appear correctly.

Comments and error reports welcome.

Source code:
-- I've uploaded my source for SimRipper.
-- The project uses s3pi for package and image handling: https://sourceforge.net/projects/s3pi/
-- For DDSPanel.dll I'm using the s4pi version which has improvements and fixes over the s3pi version: https://github.com/s4ptacle/Sims4To...p/s4pi%20Extras

Updates:

V0.6.0, 1/29/2022:
- Got most, maybe all, patterns working. There are still small glitches I have to resolve. Please report clothing that still shows up incorrectly, and upload the sim troubleshooting info and a picture from CAS showing what it's supposed to look like. (I haven't done stencils and logos yet so no need to report them missing.)
- Source code is included. If anyone wants to help, that would be awesome.
To do list:
- I found the problem with beards and am working on it. I'll also look at hats since it sounds like they aren't getting textured.
- When that's done I'll move on to animal skins.
- And to stencils, logos, decals, overlays and stuff.
- And to reading unencrypted Sims3Packs.
- Transitioning back and forth to Medieval needs work.
This version is 64-bit only and should run a little faster.

V0.5.0, 7/25/2021:
- Added very preliminary support for The Sims Medieval. There is now a setting at the top for which game to rip. If you have no TSM custom content you'll get an annoying message that either the path is incorrect or you have no custom content - just ignore it.
-- TSM skin colors are off, the bone morphs don't seem to work, and there's no support for what appears to be default morphs for teens and elders. It's a start!
- Added support to save Sim Troubleshooting Info, which includes CC the sim is using.

V0.4.0, 10/25/2020:
- Texturing progress: Solid colors should be working in most cases. Most patterns are not working yet and will be gray or possibly display the rgb mask. Hair and makeup are mostly working. Expect glitches.
- Children's clothing is not texture mapping correctly.
- This is a working version and probably buggy, please report problems. I wanted to get it out there so you don't think I forgot about this project.
- You should be able to get a working model by dressing toddlers and teen - elders in solid colors. I'd love to get more feedback on how they work in Blender with poses or animations.
- When reporting problems, PLEASE post the lists you get when you click the "Show Sim Information Listing" button and the "Show Errors" button if it's not dimmed, along with a picture or explanation of the problem.

V0.3.0, 5/31/2020:
- Bone morphs have been reworked, and scaling a sim down drastically is working. Needs more testing. I've gone for speed possibly over accuracy so please continue to report distortions.
- A very preliminary version of texturing has been added. For now I'm just using the multiplier textures so please don't ask why there's no color or patterns. Some accessories may not be textured correctly. The hat/hair accessory part of hairs will probably look transparent in the preview. Animals may or may not be textured.
- The time to create and save .DAE meshes has been improved.

V0.2.1, 3/29/2020:
- Added support for some store items that don't morph

V0.2, 3/23/2020:
- Fixed major bug in applying BGEO morphs
- Added support for store-style morphs
- Improved rendering of cats and dogs - noses still look off on some of them
- Changed to more flexible folder picker for game and user paths
Attached files:
File Type: zip  TS3SimRipper_0_6_0_0.zip (1.49 MB, 1177 downloads)
File Type: zip  TS3SimRipper Source 1-29-2022.zip (1.29 MB, 334 downloads)

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 2:41 AM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 21st Mar 2020 at 2:52 AM.
So I've messed around with it a bit. Looking at the setup prompt the tool has already identified the right install folder for each pack, but if I want to select another one it only seems to let me pick a folder on the C drive. My installs are on the D drive, and the data from each pack is in the regular D:\The Sims\The Sims 3 folder. So it's already getting the paths wrong.

As a result, it's listing my SavedSims folder correctly but not rendering previews because, as the error log states, all required assets are not being read. When loading up the tool it also seems to read a package file located in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Dump, which is a folder specifically set up not to be read by the game. So I don't know why the tool would try to read it, but it's giving me an error.

All in all, very excited for this one but currently completely unusable on my end. I'm getting all sorts of error popups and NullReferenceExceptions.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 3:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
So I've messed around with it a bit. Looking at the setup prompt the tool has already identified the right install folder for each pack, but if I want to select another one it only seems to let me pick a folder on the C drive. My installs are on the D drive, and the data from each pack is in the regular D:\The Sims\The Sims 3 folder. So it's already getting the paths wrong.

As a result, it's listing my SavedSims folder correctly but not rendering previews because, as the error log states, all required assets are not being read. When loading up the tool it also seems to read a package file located in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Dump, which is a folder specifically set up not to be read by the game. So I don't know why the tool would try to read it, but it's giving me an error.

All in all, very excited for this one but currently completely unusable on my end. I'm getting all sorts of error popups and NullReferenceExceptions.

I'll have to change the browser in the setup so you can select other drives. Meanwhile just paste the path in.

The tool reads all packages in the Mods folder and subfolders. It doesn't read the resource.cfg which is where I assume you set up a folder not to be read. If a package there is causing errors you'll have to move it.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
#4 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 3:39 AM
It seems that tool doesn't load stuff installed with .sims3pack files (stuff from DCCatche folder), while exporting the .sims3packs as .packages and placing them in mods will result in an error when loading sims that use these parts.

Code:
System.NullReferenceException: Odwołanie do obiektu nie zostało ustawione na wystąpienie obiektu.
   w TS3SimRipper.Form1.FetchGameBGEO(TGI tgi, String& errorMsg)
   w TS3SimRipper.Form1.GetCurrentModel()
   w TS3SimRipper.Form1.DisplaySim(SimDescription sim)
   w TS3SimRipper.Form1.sims_listBox_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   w System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   w System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
   w System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.WndProc(Message& m)
   w System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   w System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   w System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 4:12 AM
Just so I'm understanding correctly....if a Sim were to load fully, their model would show up in the tool as a fully textured preview? Or would any part of them that's loaded successfully be rendered? Because I'm not seeing anything at all, not even a foot or a shoe or a necklace.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 11:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SeriousNorbo
It seems that tool doesn't load stuff installed with .sims3pack files (stuff from DCCatche folder), while exporting the .sims3packs as .packages and placing them in mods will result in an error when loading sims that use these parts.

Code:
System.NullReferenceException: Odwołanie do obiektu nie zostało ustawione na wystąpienie obiektu.
   w TS3SimRipper.Form1.FetchGameBGEO(TGI tgi, String& errorMsg)
   w TS3SimRipper.Form1.sims_listBox_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   w System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Yes, I forgot to say that in the description. It won't read sims3packs at all, and sims3pack clothing uses a different mechanism for the fat/fit/thin morphs which SimRipper doesn't support yet. I'll update the description.

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 11:18 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 21st Mar 2020 at 11:35 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
Just so I'm understanding correctly....if a Sim were to load fully, their model would show up in the tool as a fully textured preview? Or would any part of them that's loaded successfully be rendered? Because I'm not seeing anything at all, not even a foot or a shoe or a necklace.

They should show up as flat-grey colored meshes. Please check the sim info listing and the error listing.

IMO at this point you should try it with vanilla EA townies first. If they don't appear either and the error messages don't tell us anything, please upload the save you're working from.

Test Subject
#8 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 8:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Yes, I forgot to say that in the description. It won't read sims3packs at all, and sims3pack clothing uses a different mechanism for the fat/fit/thin morphs which SimRipper doesn't support yet. I'll update the description.

Other than this, the tool works perfectly fine, i managed to successfully rip a sim with rigging and UVs.

Will support for these store .sims3packs be added in the future? or a support for these store clothes with differently coded morphs?
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 10:44 PM
Other than this, the tool works perfectly fine, i managed to successfully rip a sim with rigging and UVs.

Will support for these store .sims3packs be added in the future? or a support for these store clothes with differently coded morphs?

Yes, supporting the alternate morphs is pretty trivial. I have some code for reading sim3packs that I'll try out; other tools do it so it shouldn't be a problem. Copy protected store items are a different matter; I'm not going to crack encryption or convert them or whatever. However, anything you have in standard package format will definitely be supported.

Test Subject
#10 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 11:21 PM Last edited by SeriousNorbo : 22nd Mar 2020 at 3:20 AM.
Yes, supporting the alternate morphs is pretty trivial. I have some code for reading sim3packs that I'll try out; other tools do it so it shouldn't be a problem. Copy protected store items are a different matter; I'm not going to crack encryption or convert them or whatever. However, anything you have in standard package format will definitely be supported.

I heard that a tool from More Awesome Than You can fix the store packages, maybe TS3Ripper could support store packages/sims3packs once they get re-compiled with this tool?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 3:06 AM
Discussion of software that can remove protection is against site policy, let alone linking to it. You should edit your comment.

Test Subject
#12 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 3:17 AM
Discussion of software that can remove protection is against site policy, let alone linking to it. You should edit your comment.

Oh, sorry, thanks for the warning, i removed the link.
Instructor
#13 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 11:22 AM

Wait, did I read correctly - the resultant sims are rigged?? (pinch me! please be true! )

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#14 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 1:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by k2m1too
Wait, did I read correctly - the resultant sims are rigged?? (pinch me! please be true! )

Yes, the meshes are rigged and uv mapped. (Except obj format of course.) Collada DAE meshes can be imported into Blender and many other 3D editors. The only drawback is that Blender doesn't import the normals, but if you need them with a little extra work you can import the obj format too and transfer the normals.

Test Subject
#15 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 5:26 PM
So far, the tool seems to work perfectly on all sims and plumbots, including sims with CC (Except store items) and default replacements! However it won't export supernatural features such as fairy wings or mermaid tail.

Also there's a problem with horses, Ripper won't load them at all and throws an error, tested on both playable and wild horses, both in saved game and in SavedSims, also on deer and unicorn.

Code:
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Indeks wykraczał poza granice tablicy.
   w TS3SimRipper.BGEO.GetSection1EntryIndex(Species species, AgeGender age, AgeGender gender)
   w TS3SimRipper.Form1.LoadBGEOMorph(GEOM baseMesh, BGEO morph, Int32 lod, Species species, AgeGender age, AgeGender gender)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#16 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 7:46 PM
So far, the tool seems to work perfectly on all sims and plumbots, including sims with CC (Except store items) and default replacements! However it won't export supernatural features such as fairy wings or mermaid tail.

Also there's a problem with horses, Ripper won't load them at all and throws an error, tested on both playable and wild horses, both in saved game and in SavedSims, also on deer and unicorn.

Code:
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Indeks wykraczał poza granice tablicy.
   w TS3SimRipper.BGEO.GetSection1EntryIndex(Species species, AgeGender age, AgeGender gender)
   w TS3SimRipper.Form1.LoadBGEOMorph(GEOM baseMesh, BGEO morph, Int32 lod, Species species, AgeGender age, AgeGender gender)

Strange, I was able to preview horses and deer. Do you have any CC mods or default replacements that might be causing a problem? Could you upload a save of a horse so I can see exactly what's in it?

Test Subject
#17 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 8:02 PM
Here are tested horse and unicorn from SavedSims. It can't be the fault of any mods as the error still occurs after emptying the mods folder.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Horses.rar (514.9 KB, 45 downloads)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#18 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 11:42 PM
Here are tested horse and unicorn from SavedSims. It can't be the fault of any mods as the error still occurs after emptying the mods folder.

I get the error too when loading your horses, and turns out it's such a major bug I'm surprised it works as well as it does. Fixed it, and fixed most of the cat and dog distortion. I'll upload a new version as soon as I finish adding support for the store-style morphs, which of course turned out not to be so trivial.

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#19 Old 23rd Mar 2020 at 5:00 PM
Version 0.2 uploaded - bugfix, store morphs, better doggies and kitties, better folder browser for the paths.

Test Subject
#20 Old 23rd Mar 2020 at 7:29 PM
Thanks! So far the updated version works perfectly! It properly exports pets and horses, and loads store items once they get converted to .package and placed in Mods.
Test Subject
#21 Old 26th Mar 2020 at 7:41 PM
Tested it out on my sim, I can't get the textures though (most likely something I did) but I can definitely make poses using this sim and not just the basic afRig. The fingers look weird because she had rings on when I ripped her. But other than that, it's working
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#22 Old 26th Mar 2020 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LRHenix
Tested it out on my sim, I can't get the textures though (most likely something I did) but I can definitely make poses using this sim and not just the basic afRig. The fingers look weird because she had rings on when I ripped her. But other than that, it's working

Thanks! Textures are not yet supported but I'm working on it.

Test Subject
#23 Old 29th Mar 2020 at 6:25 PM Last edited by SeriousNorbo : 29th Mar 2020 at 7:18 PM.
I have a problem with a hair from the store which crashes the ripper.

This hair: https://store.thesims3.com/productD...male&startAt=32

Edit: also the same problem occurs with this item: https://store.thesims3.com/productD...=OFB-SIM3:71653

Tested on both just exported package and package fixed with Pescado's tool

Code:
   w TS3SimRipper.GEOM.getVertexID(Int32 vertexSequenceNumber)
   w TS3SimRipper.Form1.LoadGEOMMorph(GEOM baseMesh, GEOM[] morphs, Single weight)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#24 Old 29th Mar 2020 at 10:24 PM
I have a problem with a hair from the store which crashes the ripper.

This hair: https://store.thesims3.com/productD...male&startAt=32

Edit: also the same problem occurs with this item: https://store.thesims3.com/productD...=OFB-SIM3:71653

Tested on both just exported package and package fixed with Pescado's tool

EA has another variation on the store format, just to annoy me.

I've uploaded a new version which fixes the hair and presumably the second item too. Let me know!

Test Subject
#25 Old 29th Mar 2020 at 11:12 PM
EA has another variation on the store format, just to annoy me.

I've uploaded a new version which fixes the hair and presumably the second item too. Let me know!

Yeah, new version works fine with both items, thanks. :D
Page 1 of 12