Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Downtown Revamp - A complete overhaul of Downtown from The Sims 2 Nightlife

by TheDudeWithTheDragonTattoos Posted 7th Dec 2020 at 3:37 PM

31 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 21 Feedback Posts, 9 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 2
Field Researcher
#2 Old 7th Dec 2020 at 6:36 PM
Hey, I'm having trouble extracting your custom content part 1 file. WinRAR and 7-zip both say they are unable to extract the information due to unknown file type, file is damaged, or "cannot open file as archive." Is anyone else having this problem? Can you reupload it in a different archive file format?

My simblr // Check out my neighborhood, River Springs // Message me on Discord! --> LyleSnake#6590 I love to make new friends and talk about the Sims
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#3 Old 7th Dec 2020 at 6:52 PM
I ended up googling everything and downloading it that way, so thank you for providing detailed credits! I can't wait to see the hood.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Dec 2020 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LyleSnake
Hey, I'm having trouble extracting your custom content part 1 file. WinRAR and 7-zip both say they are unable to extract the information due to unknown file type, file is damaged, or "cannot open file as archive." Is anyone else having this problem? Can you reupload it in a different archive file format?

Hi! Thanks for downloading! Sorry you're having trouble with the CC, try the mediafire link below that includes the regular cc and the dfr's and let me know how you make out :D

http://www.mediafire.com/file/x5gai...own_CC.zip/file

Thanks!!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#5 Old 8th Dec 2020 at 1:01 PM
Hey!

This looks so amazing - thank you :D

I am running Sims 2 Super Collection on Mac so I don't have Apartment Life or Free Time. Would this work at all (maybe with a few buildings missing) or not entirely do you think? It just looks so amazing!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#6 Old 8th Dec 2020 at 8:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MikeJMW55
Hi!

Thank you!! It should actually work fine on super collection!

So actually it won't  This will require whatever EPs you have installed while making it. 

There was a small error in moderation on this, all the cc included must also contain valid links.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Dec 2020 at 9:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
So actually it won't  This will require whatever EPs you have installed while making it. 

There was a small error in moderation on this, all the cc included must also contain valid links.

Oh I didn’t know that, I thought it just wouldn’t include the items. Comment deleted

As for the cc, each included file has a readme with links to the website pages that the cc was downloaded from. If necessary I can also link them in a comment on here as well - unless there’s a way to edit the post.
Test Subject
#8 Old 9th Dec 2020 at 3:52 AM
I think your creation is amazing. But my original downtown is "activated"... do I need uninstall the original to install yours or I can keep both?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th Dec 2020 at 5:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CommunistKid
I think your creation is amazing. But my original downtown is "activated"... do I need uninstall the original to install yours or I can keep both?

Hi! You don't technically have to remove the existing Downtown, you can leave both in, I just recommended that the original be deleted or stored safely so that people don't mistakenly add on the original Downtown when trying to add the new one to an existing hood - Meant to avoid people saying "You made me accidentally add the wrong one blah blah blah!". You can absolutely have both installed at the same time : )
Forum Resident
#10 Old 9th Dec 2020 at 5:00 PM
Coming in with a little bit of critique:

I have UC, and I even have one of the few laptops with windows 10 which is usually very very fast with sims 2 -
But several of the lots I can’t load.
I can’t. I usually can.

What worries me most about this is the amount of cc.
I understand the hood deco - that’s all fine.
But then we come to replacements, extra add on etc etc.
I think in theory you could’ve made all the lots cc free.
I’m excited for this makeover don’t get me wrong. I just find it bothering that the loading times have to be so big.

I build small houses *^*
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator THANKS POST
#11 Old 10th Dec 2020 at 5:45 PM
This looks absolutely stunning, i love this! :lovestruc
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#12 Old 10th Dec 2020 at 7:45 PM
Gorgeous. I think TS2's Downtown is the ugliest Maxis neighborhood ever. Great job.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 2:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by OnayaW
Coming in with a little bit of critique:

I have UC, and I even have one of the few laptops with windows 10 which is usually very very fast with sims 2 -
But several of the lots I can’t load.
I can’t. I usually can.

What worries me most about this is the amount of cc.
I understand the hood deco - that’s all fine.
But then we come to replacements, extra add on etc etc.
I think in theory you could’ve made all the lots cc free.
I’m excited for this makeover don’t get me wrong. I just find it bothering that the loading times have to be so big.

Thank you for the critique, I appreciate the suggestions and I will absolutely take them into account for my next project which will have much less CC and hopefully no DFR's to make it easier on the downloader and everyone's computers!

Cheers
Scholar
THANKS POST
#14 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 2:09 PM
OMG!!
This is an amazing work. I just love to see new styles of EA"s neighborhoods, Every creator puts its style at them. It's so lovely to see. I'm planning to do some renews as well... hope they get so good as yours!!
Theorist
#15 Old 12th Dec 2020 at 10:09 AM
I'm slightly concerned over the fact that you mentioned that this downtown includes some spawned strays. Does this represent a problem when you add this downtown to a neighborhood that already has a downtown installed? The game deletes all characters from a second or higher downtown or vacation destination added to a neighborhood.

There is a workaround written by @Jawusa on how to add occupied downtowns to neighborhoods with downtowns, but I'm not sure if it's necessary to follow that method or not here.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 12th Dec 2020 at 6:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by topp
I'm slightly concerned over the fact that you mentioned that this downtown includes some spawned strays. Does this represent a problem when you add this downtown to a neighborhood that already has a downtown installed? The game deletes all characters from a second or higher downtown or vacation destination added to a neighborhood.

There is a workaround written by @Jawusa on how to add occupied downtowns to neighborhoods with downtowns, but I'm not sure if it's necessary to follow that method or not here.

Hey!

I’m not at my computer right now (on mobile) so I can’t check the exact amount, but I’d say there around 4 NPC’s and maybe 8-12 strays. You could always download it and check simpe, or I can later when I’m at my computer
Test Subject
#17 Old 14th Dec 2020 at 5:38 PM Last edited by TheSpigster : 14th Dec 2020 at 6:09 PM. Reason: Fixed the issue! Also, formatting.
Quote: Originally posted by MikeJMW55
Hi! Thanks for downloading! Sorry you're having trouble with the CC, try the mediafire link below that includes the regular cc and the dfr's and let me know how you make out :D

http://www.mediafire.com/file/x5gai...own_CC.zip/file

Thanks!!

I was also having issues/errors downloading the files from the site, but this mediafire link worked perfectly!

<strike>Unfortunately, it seems I am still having trouble getting the subhood to load. I followed instructions to extracted Subhood DTWN to C://Program Files...Res/NeighborhoodTemplate, but when I click to add a new downtown, it only asks to create a custom downtown. I figure since the default downtown also isn't an option (having deleted the D001 folder) that I'm in the right place, but unsure if I missed something. Any ideas?</strike>

This is a great project, by the way. I am incredibly excited to see your changes!

Edit: Interestingly enough, adding the D001 file back gave me the selection and I got it working! Thanks! Now to go exploring!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 15th Dec 2020 at 6:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TheSpigster
I was also having issues/errors downloading the files from the site, but this mediafire link worked perfectly!

<strike>Unfortunately, it seems I am still having trouble getting the subhood to load. I followed instructions to extracted Subhood DTWN to C://Program Files...Res/NeighborhoodTemplate, but when I click to add a new downtown, it only asks to create a custom downtown. I figure since the default downtown also isn't an option (having deleted the D001 folder) that I'm in the right place, but unsure if I missed something. Any ideas?</strike>

This is a great project, by the way. I am incredibly excited to see your changes!

Edit: Interestingly enough, adding the D001 file back gave me the selection and I got it working! Thanks! Now to go exploring!

So glad you got it working! Have fun and I hope you like it : )
Theorist
#19 Old 15th Dec 2020 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheDudeWithTheDragonTattoos
I’m not at my computer right now (on mobile) so I can’t check the exact amount, but I’d say there around 4 NPC’s and maybe 8-12 strays. You could always download it and check simpe, or I can later when I’m at my computer

Alright, thanks for the information.

Just in case if there's anyone else concerned about character data corruption, I will link some tutorials for extra safety.

How to Add Multiple Inhabited Downtown Subhoods to a Neighborhood by Jawusa is for adding this downtown to a neighborhood that already has a downtown attached, and
How to safely delete all characters from a neighborhood by Mootilda should cover steps needed to clean this template to eradicate the strays and NPCs altogether.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 20th Dec 2020 at 10:09 PM
I really like what you've done with Downtown. I just have one minor concern:

Quote: Originally posted by TheDudeWithTheDragonTattoos
A few recolor sets by CluedoSims/Shastakiss on Tumblr

These are not recolors. They are actually default replacements and will replace the original Maxis color options. This may cause problems if someone already has default replacement colors for these objects.
Alchemist
THANKS POST
#21 Old 22nd Dec 2020 at 11:57 PM
wow! amazing job
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#22 Old 25th Dec 2020 at 2:35 AM Last edited by WidowCass : 25th Dec 2020 at 4:56 AM.
First and foremost...this neighborhood looks spectacular!

***Edit found the bug, it was a corrupted lot...deleted it and my world is right once again!

However, I have a snag, whenever I try to move in a Sim, I get the dreaded pop up of "application has crashed and will now terminate"
I am as ignorant as can be to the inner workings of SimPE and all the techy things...I just love to play and download from all of those much wiser than me.

I do not want to lose this, but it seems no one else has had this issue...
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#23 Old 7th Jan 2021 at 7:42 PM
Thank you! I use this as a Sim City neigbourhood and it looks amazing!
Test Subject
#24 Old 11th Jan 2021 at 4:40 AM
Thanks so much! This is an awesome makeover!

I'm digging the neighborhood version, but I can't seem to get the subhood version to show up in my game. I've got the hood selector. I've tried it with and without the original downtown in place... and I re-downloaded it and re-extracted it. Is there something I'm missing?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 12th Jan 2021 at 7:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Starrytrek
Thanks so much! This is an awesome makeover!

I'm digging the neighborhood version, but I can't seem to get the subhood version to show up in my game. I've got the hood selector. I've tried it with and without the original downtown in place... and I re-downloaded it and re-extracted it. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm sorry you're having trouble with that. I'm not really sure why it would be causing an issue. Are you sure you're using the correct version? Because you can't just put the main hood version in your game files and use it as a subhood. If you're sure, try going to my tumblr here and downloading it there, hopefully that works
Page 1 of 2