Replies: 10 (Who?), Viewed: 1138 times.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jan 2021 at 10:47 PM Last edited by omglo : 7th Jan 2021 at 9:28 PM.
Default (Updated Jan-7) Choose plate colors
This modifies the plates that Sims eat dinner and lunch on. It doesn't effect the dessert plates for toaster pastries, gelatin etc.), toddler plates, large serving plates, bowls etc. Those will be added in time, assuming this one works well.
-----------------

The mod has two parts 1. A decorative stack of plates (found in Appliances > Misc. It's color is changed by pie menu. 2. A texture package with seven basic recolors that can be replaced with the plate colors of your choice.

To use - purchase the control plate and choose a color. When Sims grab a plate of food, it'll automatically take on the same color as the control plate. You can change the control plate color midway through a meal so that families can eat off mismatched plates. If a lot doesn't have a control plate, the plates will take on the color of whatever default you have (or use the game texture if you don't have a default.

Nina and Dina clean up their colored plates after a meal.

You can only have seven recolors and one texture pack. Do not clone the texture pack or use SimPE's recolor tool on it. To recolor, open the texture pack with SimPE, then continue on as you normally would, exporting a texture, editing it and reimporting it over one of the recolors. Do not change the names of the textures or material definitions (TXMTs).
----------------------------

Seeking feedback on whether this works as intended and whether the instructions are clear.
Screenshots
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip plate-color-choice-TESTING.zip (134.5 KB, 22 downloads)
Advertisement
The Camera Eye
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Jan 2021 at 7:23 AM
Seems to work just fine- even Coral Oldie figured it out!
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#3 Old 4th Jan 2021 at 8:05 AM
Even her dog figured out the blue one. XD

This is great, thanks! I'll test it.
Inventor
#4 Old 5th Jan 2021 at 2:25 AM Last edited by annachibi : 5th Jan 2021 at 3:55 AM. Reason: additional testing
Works great! You can't see her in this shot, but his wife is currently eating a sandwich off a red plate. This is such a fantastic idea!

Edit: The plates also keep their color when put into the fridge as leftovers!

Edit 2: Just to test, I put some plates in the fridge, saved and quit, then took the mod out and went back in. The plates just revert back to your regular default. Nice!
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#5 Old 5th Jan 2021 at 1:07 PM
I am a good reader of things! *makes toaster pasties and wonders why the mod isn't working*

And after endless plates of TP ...

It's working for me! Could change colours fine and when I deleted the plate stack it reverted to the Maxis default. Meals with their own plates still had them.

It didn't work with my plate default replacement though. I had to remove it or it overwrote.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Jan 2021 at 4:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. @Charity, so if you had a control plate on the lot, the dishes still took on the color of the default? Which defaults were you using?
Mad Poster
#7 Old 5th Jan 2021 at 4:29 PM
Yes.

I use the black edged plate from here. https://modthesims.info/d/235959/di...placements.html
Alchemist
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Jan 2021 at 9:36 PM
@Charity - a new version that should work with Morague's plates has been uploaded in the first post.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 8th Jan 2021 at 12:07 PM
Works fine with the default plates now!
Field Researcher
#10 Old 22nd Feb 2021 at 7:06 PM
Hi Omglo

I downloaded this over a month ago, and its working great, no problems or conflicts at all. I like that the physical object is a stack of spare plates - it can be used to clutter kitchen shelves and sideboards. Are you working on the rest of the set? I will definitely want to download them.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Feb 2021 at 6:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysarth
Hi Omglo

I downloaded this over a month ago, and its working great, no problems or conflicts at all. I like that the physical object is a stack of spare plates - it can be used to clutter kitchen shelves and sideboards. Are you working on the rest of the set? I will definitely want to download them.

Yes, I have been. I've run into an issue where I can't get certain dishes to take on the texture, so that's the current hold up, but hopefully, I'll be able to figure that problem out soon.