Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Feb 2021 at 9:39 AM
Default Adding Autonomous Trait Behaviors & Autonomous Custom Animations
Hello! I've been trying to search around for this but I'm not getting any results with the search terms I've been using.
I have ideas for mods that I want to make, but if they aren't possible to do then there is no point in trying to bury myself in Python & XML tuning knowledge. Mostly, I want to make the traits in TS4 actually mean something.
I want to know if it's possible to create new behaviors for existing traits which can be performed autonomously and at random. An example would be for a Perfectionist to have the random chance to become upset and make a scene about the decorations at their wedding/environment not being to their exact specifications. I had thought about making a mod that does this and increases dramatics in Sims by making a Dramatic trait which would act with existing traits to exaggerate the behaviours of those traits (in case some people don't want all of their sims to be more dramatic), but I doubt it's viable to do it that way.
I would also like to create new custom animations that can be performed autonomously at random for some trait behaviours, without PosePlayer. For an (admittedly silly) example, if a sim had a custom trait like "Paranoid", they could have the random chance to have an episode in which they drop to the floor and army crawl around their house until their heightened paranoia moodlet goes away or something. I have a basic education in 3D animation (my main path was 2D animation) with Autodesk Maya, so I'm pretty confident I can learn Blender.
It's also only slightly relevant, but I can't seem to find any information on whether or not the different walking animations in the game can be replaced with custom animations and I would like to make new walking styles.

Is it possible to do any of these things with Python, XML, and Blender? Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 5:48 AM
You can do all of this without Python, the only reason you need it for traits is if you're trying to avoid overriding. I don't really recommend picking it up just for that though unless you have prior experience, and for any future mods XML Injector and other community tools can probably handle it.
You can add new behaviors, you just need to study the traits and their buffs to see how they work, which from what I've seen can be through commodities, interactions, and probably something I'm forgetting. For the wedding one that is a bit harder, depending on how you want to implement it. To avoid an override of the wedding files, you could add an interaction to the trait buff that can run autonomously but only when a wedding event is happening, maybe add other tests depending on if you want an actual reason for them to react (like trash nearby). Just one idea, but I rarely work with traits so that's all I can think of right now, lol.
The random chance animations are also possible. For example in the trait_OccultMermaid there is a buff buff_Mermaid_Trait that references a MixerInteraction which allows mermaids to perform the idles where they hum and coo. You can do something similar, not using a mixer though, and use a tested outcome with weights to determine what actions they perform (as continuations).

Walkstyles, yes and no, without tools they will be glitchy even as an override. S4S and S4pe don't support animations very well so data related to those types of unique animations that make them work is lost and deleted when you import/export files.

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
My Discord | Twitter | Tumblr | Patreon
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 5:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MizoreYukii
You can do all of this without Python, the only reason you need it for traits is if you're trying to avoid overriding. I don't really recommend picking it up just for that though unless you have prior experience, and for any future mods XML Injector and other community tools can probably handle it.
You can add new behaviors, you just need to study the traits and their buffs to see how they work, which from what I've seen can be through commodities, interactions, and probably something I'm forgetting. For the wedding one that is a bit harder, depending on how you want to implement it. To avoid an override of the wedding files, you could add an interaction to the trait buff that can run autonomously but only when a wedding event is happening, maybe add other tests depending on if you want an actual reason for them to react (like trash nearby). Just one idea, but I rarely work with traits so that's all I can think of right now, lol.
The random chance animations are also possible. For example in the trait_OccultMermaid there is a buff buff_Mermaid_Trait that references a MixerInteraction which allows mermaids to perform the idles where they hum and coo. You can do something similar, not using a mixer though, and use a tested outcome with weights to determine what actions they perform (as continuations).

Walkstyles, yes and no, without tools they will be glitchy even as an override. S4S and S4pe don't support animations very well so data related to those types of unique animations that make them work is lost and deleted when you import/export files.

Wow thank you so much, this is very helpful!