Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th May 2021 at 8:28 AM Last edited by danburite2 : 7th Jun 2021 at 12:41 AM.
Default How do you create a student debt?
So I noticed that the "repay loan" option on the mailbox doesn't actually refer to loans as student loans, and decided to make an interaction wherein my Sim can go to the bank (rabbithole) and come back with a 1000 Simoleons which they have to pay back.

Digging through the game's xml, I found an Action Tuning that seemed straightforward: "loot_Statistic_Loans_Set10000"

Maxis Version:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<I s="225257" n="loot_Statistic_Loans_Set10000" m="interactions.utils.loot" i="action" c="LootActions">
  <L n="loot_actions">
    <V t="statistics">
      <V n="statistics" t="statistic_change">
        <U n="statistic_change">
          <T n="amount">10000</T>
          <T n="stat">223186<!--Statistic: statistic_Debt--></T>
          <L n="subject">
            <E>Object</E>
          </L>
        </U>
      </V>
    </V>
  </L>
</I>

My version:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<I c="LootActions" i="action" m="interactions.utils.loot" n="abutt_Statistic_Loans_Set1000" s="12738263602864831381">
  <L n="loot_actions">
    <V t="statistics">
      <V n="statistics" t="statistic_change">
        <U n="statistic_change">
          <T n="amount">1000</T>
          <L n="subject">
            <E>Object</E>
          </L>
        </U>
      </V>
    </V>
  </L>
</I>

...but it didn't work.
I thought it seemed pretty self explanitory; you do the interaction, you get the loot. The loot is an amount of debt. Now you can pay it off.
But the option doesn't show up at the mailbox. For all intents and purposes, there is no debt.

So how do I actually create debt? I can't find any clues in the xml.

EDIT: added my package file for anybody who wants to take a closer look.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  abutt_InfluenceCore.rar (12.4 KB, 33 downloads)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 21st May 2021 at 7:06 AM
Told myself I'd bump this after 100 views, as I'm still extremely interested in getting some help for this.

Also confused why 6 people would download an incomplete mod and then not offer any help, that's pretty weird.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jun 2021 at 12:41 AM
One more bump.
Test Subject
#4 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 5:38 PM
Well, I'm very new to modding, so I don't really know what could be the issue but you could try to find some discord channels where you can ask experienced modders.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 5:38 PM
Is it possible that it's changing the statistic, but nothing is doing anything with it, since some other hidden buff or trait (ie., 'HasDebt') isn't present? I'm on my work computer right now, or I'd check myself, but I'd suggesting looking at the entire interaction chain for incurring student debt the normal way in-game, and see if it's doing something in addition to changing the debt statistic.

Quote: Originally posted by danburite2
So I noticed that the "repay loan" option on the mailbox doesn't actually refer to loans as student loans, and decided to make an interaction wherein my Sim can go to the bank (rabbithole) and come back with a 1000 Simoleons which they have to pay back.

I thought it seemed pretty self explanitory; you do the interaction, you get the loot. The loot is an amount of debt. Now you can pay it off.
But the option doesn't show up at the mailbox. For all intents and purposes, there is no debt.

So how do I actually create debt? I can't find any clues in the xml.

EDIT: added my package file for anybody who wants to take a closer look.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 9:07 PM
I took a look at the mailbox_PayLoans interaction, and it only looks at the statistic_Debt value in the test:
Code:
<L n="test_globals">
    <V t="sim_info">
      <U n="sim_info">
        <V t="specified" n="ages" />
        <V t="specified" n="species">
          <U n="specified">
            <L n="species">
              <E />
            </L>
          </U>
        </V>
        <E n="who">Actor</E>
      </U>
    </V>
    <V t="statistic">
      <U n="statistic">
        <V t="value_threshold" n="threshold">
          <U n="value_threshold">
            <E n="comparison">GREATER</E>
            <T n="value">0</T>
          </U>
        </V>
      </U>
    </V>
  </L>

So about the only reason I can think of that you wouldn't see the menu is if your debt is 0. Maybe the loot isn't getting called for some reason? I think there are some debug interactions that add debt, like debug_Debt_Add10000, that calls the loot that you referenced, loot_Statistic_Loans_Set10000. If those work, and yours doesn't show the Pay Loans menu, it probably means your interaction isn't running the loot action for some reason.