Replies: 2 (Who?), Viewed: 125 times.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 4:33 PM
Default Default replacement on pre-existing objects
Is there a way to make it so OBJK replacements will be applied to already-existing objects when a world is loaded, instead of having to delete the object in question and replace it with a new version from the catalog? (Thinking of the StairHelper specifically)

The only solution I can think of right now would be something like: 1) Find every StairHelper in the world, 2) Check if any sim is using each StairHelper and reset them if so, 3) Destroy all the StairHelpers (I've never destroyed objects with code before but I'm assuming it must be possible?), 4) Replace the destroyed StairHelpers with new ones linked to the proper stairs (again, no idea how but there has to be a way, right?).

But that seems like it'd be pretty susceptible to errors, and also not fun to do Any advice would be appreciated!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 7:18 PM
That approach sounds feasible, but I've never tried anything like that myself so I wouldn't know for certain. I would also be worried about what would happen after removing the mod: would all stairs in the game become borked?

It might be best to just let the user handle it. If it's good enough for NRaas SleepFreedom, it's good enough for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had." - Eric Schmidt

If you enjoy the mods I put out, consider supporting me on patreon: www.patreon.com/Gamefreak130
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 8:16 PM
Oh, huh, I hadn't thought about what happens if you remove a default replacement. I should check.

I didn't know SleepFreedom has the same problem, makes me feel better about my own mod being slightly inconvenient!