Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jun 2021 at 9:40 PM
Default Fixing Hairline Seams?
I have a hair mesh, I originally worked on it in Blender before importing it into Milkshape for final exporting. But in-game it has this hard seam along the neck and hairline.

I was wondering if there was any way to fix this so that it blends in properly?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Jun 2021 at 10:21 PM
Except for behind the ears (you'll want to keep a sharp edge there), you can use the "unimesh vertex data merge" tool in Milkshape to smooth out the normals between the head and neck. Select two and two vertices, and the tool in between.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 4:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Except for behind the ears (you'll want to keep a sharp edge there), you can use the "unimesh vertex data merge" tool in Milkshape to smooth out the normals between the head and neck. Select two and two vertices, and the tool in between.

Thank you so much for the reply!
So I tried using the Vertex Data Merge tool, when I selected 2 and 2 vertices like you said they just converged in on themselves like this

So then I tried doing that but only selecting vertex on the two meshes at a time, and they didn't converge, but they didn't have any effect and the seam was still present in-game

So after that I tried using the Normal Data Merge by selecting 2 and 2

And it instantly looked better in Milkshape

But in-game the seam was still there

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 4:48 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 20th Jun 2021 at 5:01 AM.
The Normals tool would work, too.

If you select from the side view, you actually select both sides (left and right), which could be why it wasn't working properly for you the first time. Also, could it be possible you selected two unrelated vertices (the two in the back - they don't belong together)?

If you look at the back/front view, occasionally also the top/bottom view in addition to the side view when marking vertices, it's easier to see what you've marked and whether you've marked one or both sides.

What you see ingame could be artefacts from the texture. Sometimes it's a bit difficult to see the difference.

If you still see the old mesh or recolors ingame after you've replaced them (make sure you have replaced the mesh in the file properly - replace, commit, save - and that you've removed the old mesh file from your Downloads folder), try deleting the accessory and groups cache files. They can sometimes store information about CAS files (in particular), and when you edit the files you see the old info instead of the new one. This can be especially annoying if you edit meshes with morphs (they can "blow up" even if they're perfectly fine).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 6:20 AM Last edited by Sindle : 20th Jun 2021 at 6:26 AM. Reason: Apparently emojis don’t show up
Tried the Normals tool and it didn't help

I took extra care to make sure I was only selecting vertices on one side of the mesh at a time, I just used the side view so the images wouldn't be overly huge

Tried blanking out the texture, no change

Also tried clearing the cache files, no change

Even tried starting over with a brand new package, and still no change

I really appreciate all your help and patience with this
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 3:45 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 20th Jun 2021 at 4:03 PM.
Forgot to say - Make sure the mesh you want to fix is below the mesh you're copying normals from in the list under Groups, especially if you're working with the face mesh, because otherwise you're fixing the normals the wrong way around.

(It's easier to see how it works if you as a test drag the back vertex of the "hair" group out, then use the vertex merge on this and the one from the hair mesh. The one from the "hair" group should snap to the "face" group, and not the other way around).

The vertex merge makes sure the vertices are in the same place, and fixes normals.
The normal merge only fixes normals.

If you're fixing the "hair" group and using normals from the "face" group, the list in groups should be
- face
- hair
- (hairalpha...)

(but remember to delete the face group after, of course)

(You can do the step with the Extended Manual Edit without having the items in the correct order, but you still have to check you're doing it correct, and it's a huge hassle to copy all those numbers. Ordering them properly before fixing normals is the easiest way).