1 people viewing
Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 9:39 PM Last edited by zoe22 : 28th Jul 2021 at 1:45 PM.
Default Knitting Interaction and Skill - Alpha
[28th July] Update:
So finally I've got the mod ready for the next stage of testing! I'm sorry it took so long, but I'm hoping that at this stage it's super near to finished, and not far off the official release.
If anyone is able to test the mod pretty thoroughly over the next couple of weeks, please let me know and I will send you the files and some more information on the changes made since last time.
I really appreciate all the people who downloaded and enjoyed the last version, but I'm keeping this version semi-private to make sure I can get a few people to thoroughly test and report back. As well as the fact that I don't like the idea of old versions of the mod floating around post final version :p
So the official-release should be ready then pretty soon, with more or less the same content as this testing version, so if you can't commit to thorough-ish testing over the next while, you're not missing out on anything exclusive (apart from bugs).
Thanks for all your help and nice comments!

[11th July] Brief update:
I have made quite a lot of progress on the mod so this alpha version has become a bit redundant for testing. Therefore I'm removing the files from this thread.
Hopefully I will have a beta version ready soon for testing so if you're interested in testing that, feel free to keep an eye on this thread for any updates
The beta version (honestly I have no idea what should classify as an alpha/beta version but I'm going with it :p) will be close to the first "officially released" version so it should give a better idea of the final thing, with bugs and small suggestions being the focus for feedback.
So hopefully if anyone has anything to say about the functionality based on the alpha version, you've already said it
Feel free to add any feedback here in the meantime if you've been testing, but bear in mind that quite a lot has changed (a lot has been implemented/will be from my "plans" in the text file), but I will give more info on that in the next update
Thank you again to all those who gave some feedback and ideas!

---

Helloo,
I have been working on a Knitting interaction and Knitting Skill.
I have a pretty basic set-up right now, but feeling a bit lost with what to work on, how to implement things, basically go forward with it... and so I would love some people to try it out, see if there are any issues, and give any feedback, ideas etc...

As well as the mod's files, I've included a text file with the full documentation on what's made so far, what my plans are, but I will give a quick a run-down here.
Using the Sims 4 Nifty Knitting objects and animations, there is a knitting bag with which you can start a knitting project. A knitting project is basically just an object that you select from the list, that you can start, stop, continue later, or scrap.
Once completed, if the sim is successful the object will be added to their inventory.

There is a basic 10 level skill that will affect how likely the sim is to succeed completing the project. If the sim's skill level is below the recommended level for the object, they will be more likely to fail, and more likely to succeed if they are well above it. The recommended level is displayed when choosing a knitted object to start.

If you would like to test, please use a new save or one that isn't important as custom skills can corrupt affected saves when uninstalled, and this isn't even finished/fully tested yet. Though I'm not expecting it to cause anything terrible, you can never be too sure :P
Please also read the text file included as it does outline the changes that I plan to make, so if certain things aren't perfect it might be the case that I already know about them and plan to fix it, it's just not important enough to do immediately.

There are quite a few files as everything is separated - knitting bag, prop objects, knitted objects, and resources (the script, animations etc) - but they all need to be installed for it to function properly
If you have the Sims 4 Nifty Knitting objects from ATS3, you might need to put the files in Overrides (the bag anyway) because I haven't made the objects unique yet, so putting at least the knitting bag in Overrides will make sure the one in game is using my script.

Thanks for your help and I hope you enjoy!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 11:08 PM
This is so cool! My reports from a quick test:
- I'm on patch 1.69 with all EPs (prob. not relevant but I feel like I should say it)
- Sims will sit down on nothing and start knitting right where they are if there's not an acceptable chair nearby (I haven't tested how far away the chair can be, not sure how they're choosing which chair either - it doesn't seem to be the one closest to them when I tell them to knit)
- They won't knit in a rocking chair, but dining chairs, sofas, and non-rocking-chair living chairs are all used
- My test sims' efforts have produced an octopus, a bear, and several "failed knitting project" notifications
- Skill journal opens fine on levels 1 and 2
- Sims will knit autonomously if bored (there's nothing on their lot but the necessities for living, so there's a lot of knitting)
- No script errors from any of this

Some ideas:
- Maybe have sims walk to the knitting bag and do the "taking an item" animation before going to a chair and starting to knit? (super minor)
- I know you said you want to store multiple knitting projects in the same bag, could that be projects by different sims so they can share the bag?
- Would an uninstallation cheat like I've been using to remove custom traits work for skills as well? Iterate through every sim in the world when the cheat is used, and remove the skill if they have it (maybe cancel the knitting interaction if they're doing it, too)?
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jun 2021 at 3:21 PM
Thanks for trying it out! :D
1. This was also made with 1.69 and all expansions apart from ITF installed, but from what I can think of, there shouldn't be any requirements for packs so hopefully that will remain true if anyone tests without certain packs :p

2. I was actually aware that they will sit in the air if there is no chair nearby, which is just part of the ITUN and easily changeable. If I can get/make the standing animations it will be a genuine option, and if not I will just have to make it sitting-only and there won't be anymore weird sitting-on-nothing things happening

3. I didn't even think about rocking chairs actually! That would be a nice option so I will look into adding that

4. Sounds good! I'm likely going to be changing the function for determining a success/failure as well as the base chance etc so the rates of success will hopefully feel bit more natural/fair. Currently it's quite harsh as if you have the same skill level as the item's level, there's only a 50% chance of succeeding which in hindsight seems a bit low but really the calculation is just a place-holder for now and so that's definitely something I can work on, get some feedback and repeat

5. Again sounds good, I haven't done anything with the skill journal but I'm hoping to add some challenges in, but glad that it's showing up fine so far!

6. I actually said in the documentation that the fun doesn't increase because I couldn't see any change, but looking at the ITUNs again it should have a small increase so I will have to check that again :p
But yeah at the moment the fun-advertisement isn't crazy high so maybe in a house with other things they won't be so desperate to knit, but that can be changed later in the process I think, maybe traits will also be able to have an affect on that

7. Yay! Always good when there are no script errors

Ideas:
-Walking to the bag sounds good! Especially if I do have a separate "needles set" object that is just stored in there, so then the sim can take the needles from the bag, sit down and start knitting.
-Yes so if I do have multiple projects per bag, it would be so they can be shared. So a knitting project by a sim would be stored with the needles, and then the sets of needles can be stored in the bag. I'm sure it's possible to have multiple projects per bag without the needles being the actual "knitting object" but I feel like it might be a nicer way for it to work, because it would be more realistic for the bag just being storage.
-Having an uninstallation cheat would be a really cool idea! TBH I haven't looked too much into the whole uninstalling-skill-and-corrupting-everything, only going by what I remember from Arsil's warnings about skills, so that's something I should probably look further into :p.
But that's definitely a great idea to make it easier for people to uninstall without having to use master controller or whatever

Thanks again for the feedback and ideas! This reply is probably more me thinking to myself but it's really helpful to have a new perspective and this is a super helpful for reference for me
Field Researcher
#4 Old 23rd Jun 2021 at 7:16 PM
I stated a new game with the Baker family from base game library - I directed the 2 elders & the young adult to knit at first & got 2 bears & 1 fail. I'd put 2 knitting bags in the living room & 1 in a bedroom. But the kitchen is the favoured place to knit (I should have checked the comfort of the chairs compared to the sofa). The elders have autonomously knitted since then though the young adult hasn't. There's a tv, stereo, bookcase & toddler in the house, so other fun things to do.

Can children knit? I can't remember if you said in the documentation... The skill journal opens but there's no info about what's been knitted.

It would be great if toddlers/kittens & puppies could tangle yarn bags on the floor! In Sims, I mean, it's very annoying in real life...!
Screenshots
Test Subject
#5 Old 23rd Jun 2021 at 10:25 PM
Zoe, so excited for this mod! I am already loving it and having so much fun. Seeing my elders sit on the couch and knit together was so sweet! Had to laugh that the husband with the lower skill was the first to successfully complete a project, but he gifted it to his wife so all good ; ) What a cute new aspect of gameplay to be able to gift a knitted object! Love!
Also I second lizcandor that knitting in rocking chairs would be wonderful!
A few things I noticed:
1 I did have two sims go to autonomously use the knitting basket but then stopped in front of the basket and dropped the interaction (perhaps something to do with not knowing which project to start?). Do they only autonomously knit if they are resuming a project?
2. I loved the knitting icon from the notification when my sim gained the Knitting skill! However, the skill icon for knitting maybe appeared a bit dark in comparison to the other skills in the skill menu.
3. When my elder female in a skirt sat on the couch to knit, her skirt glitched out a bit. (You can see it a bit above in Lucy's picture). Now it honestly doesn't bother me too much, but thought it was worth noting since this is the testing phase. Skirt is normal when sitting on the couch and then as she scoots forward to start knitting the skirt dips down towards the floor. Didn't seem to have a noticeable issue with either of the guys on the sofa.
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Jun 2021 at 8:54 PM
Thank you to you both!
-Currently the ITUNs are set for T-E, though I haven't checked how the Teen animations work. Children knitting would involve converting the animations separately I think, which may or may not be possible :p
It depends how automatic the process is for converting adult to children animations because I'm not really an animator, so if it's relatively simple to make it look okay then I should be able to do that :p

-Puppies and kittens playing with yarn would be so cute! Definitely a reason to have a ball of yarn object for knitting with, and that adds a bit of extra fun

-As for the stopping the interaction... that's concerning I didn't experience that in my testing.
There is an autonomous interaction for sims to pick a random project and start knitting, which is hidden for user-directed action. The one that shows up for the user is made not-autonomous because it made sims reset as no project had been chosen. If you're not getting any errors, I'm not sure why they would be dropping it. Are you sure they were trying to knit and not just viewing the bag? Only because the interaction doesn't actually involve walking to the knitting bag, they should just sit straight down and start knitting.

-The icon in the skill panel is actually just automatically made from the picture-icon I downloaded. I also noticed it was darker than the rest so I will have to look into how to fix that, or how to make it a different icon (which the EA skills seem to have)

-The skirt thing is weird, I didn't actually have that with the dress one of my test-sims was wearing but maybe it's only skirts/certain skirts. I'm guessing it's to do with the sims 4 animations making the bones do weird things or something like that. I'm hoping that I can make the sitting part of the animation properly match up with the sims 3 sitting position to stop the small errors between animations, and fingers crossed that will also fix the skirt issue

Really glad that you guys are liking it and loving all the ideas!
Test Subject
#7 Old 27th Jun 2021 at 2:27 AM
Hello, please tell me, will it work on version 1.63 of the game? I tried it and it does not work (In the game it is there and even interaction with the bag appears. I choose which toy to knit and the action is reset ... I cannot update the game to 1.69, because I have several mods that I really need, but they have not been updated for a long time and do not work on versions higher than 1.63.
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Jun 2021 at 6:21 PM
@nessysims I'm afraid I have no idea if it will work on 1.63. I'm actually using the 1.66 dlls so it should work on 1.66 and above as far as I understand, but if you're having issues with it on 1.63 then I'm can only assume it's going to stay that way

I know there are some cool mods out there that haven't been updated but unfortunately if the game code has changed significantly since then, then there isn't really a way to allow for both old and new mods
Test Subject
#9 Old 28th Jun 2021 at 4:24 PM
I did the Portuguese Version! If u want i can send to you, Zoe!
Test Subject
#10 Old 30th Jun 2021 at 11:33 PM Last edited by lipsonfire : 3rd Jul 2021 at 4:54 PM.
I'm on 1.67, and I can't seem to make it work. Maybe I'm just dumb? EDIT: I added a translation and it works fine! HERE is the guide I used to make it work)

I hope there will be animations for the sim to knit sitting on the floor too (tested with a sim locked in a room with no seats and they are sitting on air, lol

Suggestions:
Aesthetically speaking, the knitting bag is bigger than I expected, so maybe a single ball of yarn could be used as equivalent of one project. Other projects could include rugs, blankets, pillows, kitchen deco , baskets/bags, mug cozies...
Inventor
#11 Old 3rd Jul 2021 at 12:44 AM
I just tried it out and it didn't work. All the strings were blank (my game is in Spanish) and the interactions did nothing. The Sim just sat there and did nothing.

You should add ALL THE STBLs ASAP even if all of them are in English since it seems to be causing a lot of issues for people with games in any language but English.
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 3rd Jul 2021 at 1:09 AM
Thanks for testing!
I know it's a bit hidden but I did mention in the text file that I haven't added the other STBLs yet. To make it work for a different language it's really easy to edit the instance name to start with your language code.
I didn't realise the blank strings would affect the interaction itself though so I'm sorry about that, I really don't understand why that happens... but when I release an actual "publishable" version, it will of course include the full set of stbls.

The mod is still very much a work in progress so I'm still constantly adding and changing strings to the STBL, which makes it more of a pain to have all of them included. Though now that the uploaded package is an old version anyway, I could add the other ones to it to make it easier for testing.
Will have to do that later, but if in the meantime you or anyone else wants to get it to work in a different language, then changing the instance number should do the trick

(Anyway, I wouldn't say the interaction not working is "a lot of issues" :p)
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 3rd Jul 2021 at 10:09 PM Last edited by zoe22 : 11th Jul 2021 at 5:24 PM.
Here is a version of the above files with the added STBLs so hopefully will work fine for games in other languages
No other changes have been made though, so all the previous bugs/unfinished stuff remains the same (for now)
Test Subject
#14 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 10:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
Here is a version of the above files with the added STBLs so hopefully will work fine for games in other languages
No other changes have been made though, so all the previous bugs/unfinished stuff remains the same (for now)

Just wanted to tell you that the updated version works great on version 1.63. Thank you very much! Now my Sims can not only sew and plan wood, but also knit. I really hope that you or someone else will add to the mod and we can knit something else besides toys)
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 11:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nessysims
Just wanted to tell you that the updated version works great on version 1.63. Thank you very much! Now my Sims can not only sew and plan wood, but also knit. I really hope that you or someone else will add to the mod and we can knit something else besides toys)

Oh that's great! So the issue must have been with the missing STBLs rather than patch level, that's good to know
And yes the next version/final version will have all the sims 4 nifty knitting knitted objects to make
Scholar
#16 Old 17th Jul 2021 at 11:27 PM
Are you still wanting testers for this mod? I'd love to try it out!
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 18th Jul 2021 at 3:20 PM
Hey @desiree101!
The version I put up here is pretty out of date now, that's why I took it down, but I'm really hoping that I can get the "beta" version ready soon for some testing if you'd like to try it out!
It's much closer to a finished version feature-wise, so it will hopefully be more exciting as well
Scholar
#18 Old 18th Jul 2021 at 5:42 PM
Hey @desiree101!
The version I put up here is pretty out of date now, that's why I took it down, but I'm really hoping that I can get the "beta" version ready soon for some testing if you'd like to try it out!
It's much closer to a finished version feature-wise, so it will hopefully be more exciting as well

Oh, that's great! The beta version must be awesome if the reviews for the 1st version is anything to go by! I'd love to test it when it's ready, so let me know!
Test Subject
#19 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 12:08 AM
by the way, in the sims 4 there is now an opportunity to embroider) maybe one day you will transfer it to sims 3))
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#20 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 1:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nessysims
by the way, in the sims 4 there is now an opportunity to embroider) maybe one day you will transfer it to sims 3))

That was actually the first thing I thought when I saw the trailer for Cottage Living
If I do convert it for ts3, it will probably be a while away anyway, cos it takes me a long time :p
Instructor
#21 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 8:48 AM
Hi, I'd like to help test out the Beta version if you still need peeps.

MKATSONP is a Sims 3 Medieval Comedy Drama on Youtube and Tumblr
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#22 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 11:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Amazon77
Hi, I'd like to help test out the Beta version if you still need peeps.

Hey @Amazon77 ! Thanks so much! Could you message me on discord zoeoe#0586 and I can send you the files?
Instructor
#23 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 7:50 PM
Hey @Amazon77 ! Thanks so much! Could you message me on discord zoeoe#0586 and I can send you the files?

Will do x

MKATSONP is a Sims 3 Medieval Comedy Drama on Youtube and Tumblr
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 12:40 AM
Hello, Id like to help test, if testers are still needed ^-^

Every gamer is unique take your time to find your own style, your own way to play,don't try to blend in with everyone, go on be different stand out don't be afraid, no matter what your age, no matter what you like you are you and that's what matters most.Go out at there have fun and play! ^-^
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 8:48 PM
PMd you
Page 1 of 2