Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jun 2021 at 4:50 AM
Default What does this message mean??
I'm really new to making stuff for sims 2 I'm just slowly trying to learn by making bits and pieces everyday and watching Youtube Tutorials
I've made a few clothes and some accessories for my game

I am trying an adult male hair but when I try to link the hair mesh to a recolour I get this message
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Jun 2021 at 3:06 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 26th Jun 2021 at 6:54 AM.
It's a common problem if there's more than one age/gender in the mesh file - or more than one set of CRES/SHPE/GMND/GMDC resources. The PJSE tool doesn't do multi-mesh linking, unfortunately.

There's three ways to solve this problem:
- Make separate meshes for each age (and gender if need be), but the caveat is that you're stuck with a lot of mesh files.
- Extract the cres/shpe files for one age/gender, add them to the recolor file, and add them manually to the 3DIR, then delete the Cres/shpe, and continue with the next age/gender. Make sure all the extra cres/shpe resources are deleted from the file when you're done (it's tedious but works).
- Make a combined mesh for use ingame, but in the linking process separate them out so you can use the PJSE tool (this is what I do - it's faster and much easier).

I made a tutorial a while ago for accessories that shows the two latter methods - it's here:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/moo...rial-t1979.html
Click the "spoiler" tag directly under "Linking the recolor to the mesh:"
It's set up to work for the rest of the tutorial and for accessories, in case something is mentioned that doesn't make sense.

The methods also work for hairs, but the instance numbers will be slightly different - if you sort by instance for hairs, the 3DIR and instance numbers will match up with each other for the various ages/genders, but will be 0x00000001 through 0x00000007 or how many ages/genders there are in the file.

If you use the manual method for hairs, make sure you replace the Resource and Shape lines in the 3DIR where the original ones were (they should end up in the same spots, Resource as line 1 and Shape as line 2). For accessories, replace the two first lines (replace line 1 and 2, don't touch line 3 and 4). The PJSE method is faster and easier, though.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jun 2021 at 6:40 AM
Thank you! I had no idea what it meant so this is super helpful! I haven't got round to trying it out yet but plan to soon.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 3rd Apr 2022 at 3:25 PM
(Answering a PM related to the topic)
Quote: Originally posted by Bennybenbenbennybenben
I want to make hat hairs (the ones that have 2 meshes)
it can't be an accessory because the sims hair pokes through

I made a post on the forum a while ago called
"What does this message mean?"

You said
There's three ways to solve this problem:
- Make separate meshes for each age (and gender if need be), but the caveat is that you're stuck with a lot of mesh files.
- Extract the cres/shpe files for one age/gender, add them to the recolor file, and add them manually to the 3DIR, then delete the Cres/shpe, and continue with the next age/gender. Make sure all the extra cres/shpe resources are deleted from the file when you're done (it's tedious but works).
- Make a combined mesh for use ingame, but in the linking process separate them out so you can use the PJSE tool (this is what I do - it's faster and much easier).

I would like to try the last option Would it work with hat hairs? if not would the second option work?

It would. The amount of groups in the mesh doesn't matter, only the resources. You'll want to separate out the four resource files for each age - make sure each separeted file has the appropriate SHPE/CRES/GMDC/GMND for the age you're keeping in the file.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Apr 2022 at 3:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
(Answering a PM related to the topic)

It would. The amount of groups in the mesh doesn't matter, only the resources. You'll want to separate out the four resource files for each age - make sure each separeted file has the appropriate SHPE/CRES/GMDC/GMND for the age you're keeping in the file.

OK =) I Tried your tutorial and filmed it with bandicam because I thought maybe you can let me know if I'm doing it wrong,
I think I did the mesh stages right.
Heres the Video I hope you can see whats going on! if not I can send it to you in a rar file.
https://youtu.be/mRgoxrjyXD0
I got stuck at the linking the recolor because I didn't know 3IDR links to which Mesh.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#6 Old 4th Apr 2022 at 11:37 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 4th Apr 2022 at 11:50 AM.
The below pictures show how the mesh and reclor files in a hair file are connected. The colored arrows show the relation between the Cres/shpe and the Resource node/shp (these are old pictures, not from your project). They're mostly a help for when you're linking the recolor to the mesh file:

Recolor file (3DIR) - look at the last number.

Mesh file (Cres and Shpe) - look at the first number in the "Instance" - NOT "instance (high)" Both of these should match the ones in the 3DIR.
(The comment at the bottom shows there are multiple CRES/SHPE files in the file, something hair meshes usually have, so make sure you're picking out the right ones)

----

For the mesh files, usually (when you're temporarily splitting up the mesh file before linking with the PJSE) the different parts are usually named according to age somewhere in the internal name (af/am, tf/tm, cf/cm/cu, pu/pf/pm), so it shouldn't be too difficiult to figure out what's what (you can sort by name to get all four files for each age to line up). You rarely have to look at the recolor file for that step.