Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jul 2021 at 7:10 AM Last edited by Alunn : 13th Jan 2022 at 7:39 PM.
Default Yoga Mod BETA [Testers Wanted - 01/13/22]
Introduction
For almost a year now I've been working on a mod to convert yoga from The Sims 4: Spa Day to the Sims 3 (link to that thread here) and it has finally reached its beta phase! Fair warning, this is my first attempt at both modding in the Sims 3 and coding as a whole, so it's definitely not perfect and I could use some help testing it out. Because I'm calling this a "conversion", I tried to stay as faithful to the Sims 4's version of yoga as I could. The yoga mat itself is a conversion and all of the animations are directly from the Sims 4 as well. Below is a breakdown of the mod's features:

Update 01/13/22[V1.3] Please Redownload!!
  • Fixed length of time before Tranquil and Fatigued moodlets are applied (back to 2 and 4 hours, respectively)
  • Live dragging has been reenabled for both yoga mats!
  • Packages have been compressed for smaller file sizes

Update 12/17/21[V1.3]
  • Added localization strings
  • Tranquil moodlet is now tuneable!
  • Fatigued moodlet is now tuneable!
  • Converted the second yoga mat from the Spa Day refresh
  • Separated the script package from the yoga mat package(s)
  • 'Practice Yoga' interaction now fulfills general workout related wishes (not related to strength or cardio)

Update 08/07/21[V1.2]
  • Pregnant sims can now use the yoga mat
  • Stress Relieving routine slowly removes 'Stressed' moodlet (other routines and 'Practice Yoga' will still be greyed out)
  • Added another CAStable design swatch
  • Added 6 more swatches from TS4 instructor's yoga mat

Update 07/12/21[V1.1]
  • The yoga mat is now draggable in live mode
  • The yoga mat can now be placed in a sim's personal inventory
  • Sims will gain the Tranquil moodlet after using the "Practice Yoga" interaction for 2 hours, instead of 3 hours [now tuneable in V1.3]
  • Sims will get the Fatigued moodlet after using any of the yoga mat interactions for 4 hours to stop infinite skill gain [now tuneable in V1.3]

Overview
  • New Functional Object: Yoga Mat
  • 4 New Interactions
  • 10 Yoga Poses

Yoga Mat
  • Name: Zen Again Yoga Mat
  • Price: §125
  • Category: Hobbies and Skills
  • Ages: Teen and Up
  • Includes all 12 original swatches + 6 additional swatches from TS4 instructor's yoga mat [added in V1.2]
  • 4 different CASt options (three with designs, one plain)

Yoga Mat (2) [added in V1.3]
  • Name: The Perfect Yoga Mat
  • Price: §130
  • Category: Hobbies and Skills
  • Ages: Teen and Up
  • Includes all 16 original swatches
  • 3 different CASt options (two with designs, one plain)
Note: The footprint is small and off center to avoid routing issues, but it places on the normal grid just fine. There may be some weirdness with the animations when a teen sim is using the mat because of the different IK targets.

Using the yoga mat will build the athletic skill, but it is not an athletic object, so your sim won't gain muscle, lose weight, or become fit from it. It also doesn't count toward wishes related to working out. However, sims won't lose hygiene as fast as they would using athletic equipment.

Interactions
  • Practice Yoga: raises the athletic skill, sims get the Tranquil moodlet after practicing for 2 hours
  • Stress Relieving Routine: boosts fun need, requires level 3 athletic skill, removes 'Stressed' moodlet [added in V1.2]
  • Mind Balancing Routine: boosts social need, requires level 5 athletic skill
  • Energy Centering Routine: boosts energy need, requires level 7 athletic skill
All four interactions are tuneable, so you can change the rate of needs gain/loss to your liking. By default, yoga routines will only boost their specific needs up to half way, so don't think your sims can forgo a good night's rest or talking to a friend in favor of a tree pose or two (Thanks to Jathom95 for helping out with the yoga routine names!)

Poses
  • Boat Pose
  • Bridge Pose
  • Downward Facing Dog
  • Half Moon Pose
  • Handstand
  • Lord of the Dance Pose
  • Side Plank Pose
  • Tree Pose
  • Triangle Pose
  • Warrior Pose
As your sims improve their athletic skill, they'll also get better at preforming poses they've already unlocked!

Things I'd Like to Include in the Future
  • Make how long a sim has to practice yoga to receive the Tranquil moodlet tuneable [added in V1.3]
  • Add the Fatigued moodlet after a period of time as a cool down, so sims can't practice yoga and raise their athletic skill indefinitely (similar to when sims "Work Out") [added in V1.1; tuneable in V1.3]
  • Make the yoga mat draggable in live mode [added in V1.1]
  • Allow sims to put the yoga mat in their personal inventory [added in V1.1]

Questions for Testers
  • Should moodlets be added to the yoga routines after a certain period of time? (like with the Practice Yoga interaction)
  • Does pose progression feel gradual?
  • How do you feel about the yoga mat not being an athletic object? Would you like it to be an athletic object (if feasible)?
And of course, let me know about any bugs you experience. My game is patched to 1.69.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Yoga Mod by Alunn [V1.3].rar (6.82 MB, 180 downloads)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 11th Jul 2021 at 4:25 PM
It's great! I've just tested it and thus far there are no script errors or bugs. The animations are also very good in my opinion. They feel gradual. The only thoughts are yes, adding fatigued bc they gain althetic skill pretty quickly and without interruption will practice forever and yup, making it placeable in inventory.

The only other thought which may not be doable is making other sims able to train someone on it or somehow having the interaction be joinable. Coding is hard so no pressure or anything like that, but would love to have that ability.

Excellent job! Really, it's great.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 11th Jul 2021 at 6:36 PM
Same here, I was able to download and test last night and it works great! No hiccups or other oddities or script errors, and I'm on 1.67. Still playing around with it but everything seems to work as expected. Love the converted animations, very smooth. And yes, the progression works quite well, just as much as any other skill in the game.

As far as some of the questions, what exactly do you mean by the specific moodlets for routines? Do you mean like Tranquil for Practice Yoga? If so, I think it can work either way. I think the mood increases for specific routines give it enough of an incentive to use on their own, but I don't think adding Tranquil to those would necessarily make it too cheaty.

As far as being an athletic object, I think it's fine where it is. Yoga isn't really a traditional sport or anything and if anything would probably be classed as a hobby, and that's where it is anyway. So I think it's fine there.

Fantastic work on this so far Alunn!

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 8:28 AM
Glad to here you guys aren't running into any major issues! My biggest fear was that I'd upload the mod for testing and it would crash and burn somehow
Quote: Originally posted by mbottle
The only other thought which may not be doable is making other sims able to train someone on it or somehow having the interaction be joinable. Coding is hard so no pressure or anything like that, but would love to have that ability.

Allowing others to train a sim would probably require me to turn the yoga mat into an athletic object, which I haven't been able to do successfully yet (thought not for a lack of trying). I'll keep that in mind if I ever get a breakthrough on that front. I actually hadn't thought about making the interaction joinable before, so I'm definitely going to look into that. Thanks for the suggestion!
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
As far as some of the questions, what exactly do you mean by the specific moodlets for routines? Do you mean like Tranquil for Practice Yoga? If so, I think it can work either way. I think the mood increases for specific routines give it enough of an incentive to use on their own, but I don't think adding Tranquil to those would necessarily make it too cheaty.

Yes, exactly like the Tranquil moodlet for Practice Yoga. I wanted to make sure there was enough of an incentive to use the routines, but if you're finding yourself using it because of mood increases alone, then I'll just leave it as is. There aren't too many base game moodlets that would fit well with the routines like the ones in The Sims 4 do, but that probably comes down to the emotions system.

Version 1.1 is up now with some minor adjustments to both the mat itself and how long it takes to gain certain moodlets (Tranquil now takes 2 hours, Fatigued takes 4 hours). I'm trying to find a good baseline to work with, so let me know what you think. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to make adjustments so sims with higher athletic skill or the Athletic (and possible Disciplined) traits can do yoga for longer, as right now the limit is 4 hours for everyone. I think I need to do something with a "float", but I'm not sure yet...
Test Subject
#5 Old 13th Jul 2021 at 7:23 PM
It's still great! Really good work. My idea about making it joinable is really just about having "yoga classes" essentially just as an FYI. But after having it in game I have no problems to report.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 13th Jul 2021 at 8:57 PM
Yep, same here again. It's great to finally have a fully-featured yoga mat in TS3 now. It really feels like it came with the game.

Thank you as well for adjusting the time on gaining the Tranquil moodlet. 3 hours wasn't necessarily a bad threshold at all, but I like to have my Sims work on their yoga early after they wake up to start the day. Having it at 2 instead of 3 allows me to get them Tranquil and have time to do other things before going to work.

Forum Resident
#7 Old 26th Jul 2021 at 7:07 PM
I know the priority is making sure it's functional, but I'm just wondering. Are there any plans to make the mat CAStable? You can already select it with CAST, but it seems like the overlays/stencils are placed directly over the mat itself so it can't be recolored. It's not a huge thing at all, just a consideration.

I'd say the same for sounds, but I don't know what could possibly fit from TS3 anyway. Looking at the TS4 version from a video online, it seems like the only sounds it has there are the occasional sound from a Sim moving around on it and the occasional whispered grunt or something like that. Not really necessary imo anyway.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Jul 2021 at 10:09 PM
I know the priority is making sure it's functional, but I'm just wondering. Are there any plans to make the mat CAStable? You can already select it with CAST, but it seems like the overlays/stencils are placed directly over the mat itself so it can't be recolored. It's not a huge thing at all, just a consideration.

I'd say the same for sounds, but I don't know what could possibly fit from TS3 anyway. Looking at the TS4 version from a video online, it seems like the only sounds it has there are the occasional sound from a Sim moving around on it and the occasional whispered grunt or something like that. Not really necessary imo anyway.

The three CAStable swatches of the mat are at the end of the preset list. In hindsight I probably should’ve put them at the front, but I can adjust that in the next update. I need to add the swatches from the instructor yoga mat anyway.

As for sounds, I thought about how to tackle them briefly back in the planning stages of this mod, but it never went anywhere. I think there’s a mod for ts4 to extract audio files from it, but I’d have to figure out how to get them into ts3 and see if they’re close enough to the ts3 voices to not stand out. I can’t recall anything from ts3 that would fit either. Maybe meditation? Do sims make any noise when they meditate?
Forum Resident
#9 Old 26th Jul 2021 at 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alunn
The three CAStable swatches of the mat are at the end of the preset list. In hindsight I probably should’ve put them at the front, but I can adjust that in the next update. I need to add the swatches from the instructor yoga mat anyway.

As for sounds, I thought about how to tackle them briefly back in the planning stages of this mod, but it never went anywhere. I think there’s a mod for ts4 to extract audio files from it, but I’d have to figure out how to get them into ts3 and see if they’re close enough to the ts3 voices to not stand out. I can’t recall anything from ts3 that would fit either. Maybe meditation? Do sims make any noise when they meditate?

Since several of them are just swatches for the different colors and presets directly from TS4, you could probably trim it down to just the CAStable ones. Have one for the stencils and the plain one, TS3 presets are usually about 2-4 depending on how many stencils/channels an object has. I hope that makes sense. Just a suggestion though, do what feels best for you.

As for sounds, it's been a while since I've had a Sim meditate, but I believe they're silent there as well. There's like this initial "gong" noise I think or something while they're meditating, but for the Sims themselves I don't think they make much of a peep if anything.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 7:28 PM
Since several of them are just swatches for the different colors and presets directly from TS4, you could probably trim it down to just the CAStable ones. Have one for the stencils and the plain one, TS3 presets are usually about 2-4 depending on how many stencils/channels an object has. I hope that makes sense. Just a suggestion though, do what feels best for you.

As for sounds, it's been a while since I've had a Sim meditate, but I believe they're silent there as well. There's like this initial "gong" noise I think or something while they're meditating, but for the Sims themselves I don't think they make much of a peep if anything.

I think I’ll leave the swatches in for now since that seems to be the standard of TS4 to TS3 conversions, but I’ll move them to the beginning instead of tacking them on at the end.

I’ll probably have to play around with some objects in game to see if I can find a breathing sound that fits.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 7:57 PM
I think I’ll leave the swatches in for now since that seems to be the standard of TS4 to TS3 conversions, but I’ll move them to the beginning instead of tacking them on at the end.

I’ll probably have to play around with some objects in game to see if I can find a breathing sound that fits.

Sounds good.

For the sounds, there's probably definitely something that will fit for the earlier ones in particular where they mess up a lot.

Forum Resident
#12 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 11:15 AM

Maybe any of the practice or sparring animations from martial arts?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 11:02 PM
Default Version 1.2 is now available for testing!
Made a few changes for Version 1.2! Pregnant sims can now use the mat, the 'Stressed' moodlet is now removed when sims do the 'Stress Relieving' routine, and I added some more swatches and another CAStable design. I also moved the CAStable designs of the mat to the front of the swatches. As long as there aren't any bugs with this version, I'll start looking toward releasing it fully
Quote: Originally posted by olomaya
Maybe any of the practice or sparring animations from martial arts?

The martial arts sounds are too grunty for something as relaxed as yoga, unfortunately. I also looked into the meditate interaction, but my sim didn't make any noise at all when they meditated. I'll keep looking, but yoga will have to be a silent activity for now.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th Dec 2021 at 12:20 AM
Default Version 1.3 is now available for testing!
Version 1.3 is now live! I've added proper localization strings and made the Tranquil and Fatigued moodlets tuneable in the xml. I also converted the second yoga mat that came with the Spa Day refresh a few months back. The 'Practice Yoga' interaction now fulfills general workout wishes as well. And finally, I separated the script mod from the yoga mats, so there are now three files included in the download. Happy holidays everyone!
Forum Resident
#15 Old 18th Dec 2021 at 2:34 AM
@Alunn Thanks for the update! I'll test it out as soon as I can.

Instructor
#16 Old 18th Dec 2021 at 8:13 PM Last edited by enable_llamas : 18th Dec 2021 at 8:14 PM. Reason: can't spell today
I've had that in my game for a while now and apparently completely forgot to post in the thread sorry about that!

Anyway, I checked and the version I had was 1.1 - I must've missed 1.2 - and it worked great from I could see, haven't found any issues. Is it autonomous for inactives? I know I've seen townies practice but since I have both this and the other yoga rug and plonk both in my gyms, I can't remember which one they used on their own. Would be great if they did

I haven't extensively tested the new version still, so feel free to disregard this if it's changed - maybe some levels to how long they can use it before they get fatigued, depending on athletic skill? Cause rn my professional athlete sims with maxed athletic get absolutely wrecked after about an hour of yoga, complete with backpain the next day lol

About the new version (1.3) - I noticed it's not live-draggable and can't be put in the inventory anymore? That was a really nice feature. On a more technical note, the textures are a lot and for the Zen Again mat all the overlays seem redundant - your masks in the recolorable presets are great and all the overlays could be achieved with cast, it would drop the file size drastically. Same for the solid color overlays. Just a suggestion of course, still up to your personal preference Oh, also the specular doesn't match the other textures and is huge? I'll be glad to help with textures if you'd like

Anyway, I really love the mod and I'm so excited about a new/final version!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 13th Jan 2022 at 7:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by enable_llamas
I've had that in my game for a while now and apparently completely forgot to post in the thread sorry about that!

Anyway, I checked and the version I had was 1.1 - I must've missed 1.2 - and it worked great from I could see, haven't found any issues. Is it autonomous for inactives? I know I've seen townies practice but since I have both this and the other yoga rug and plonk both in my gyms, I can't remember which one they used on their own. Would be great if they did

I haven't extensively tested the new version still, so feel free to disregard this if it's changed - maybe some levels to how long they can use it before they get fatigued, depending on athletic skill? Cause rn my professional athlete sims with maxed athletic get absolutely wrecked after about an hour of yoga, complete with backpain the next day lol

About the new version (1.3) - I noticed it's not live-draggable and can't be put in the inventory anymore? That was a really nice feature. On a more technical note, the textures are a lot and for the Zen Again mat all the overlays seem redundant - your masks in the recolorable presets are great and all the overlays could be achieved with cast, it would drop the file size drastically. Same for the solid color overlays. Just a suggestion of course, still up to your personal preference Oh, also the specular doesn't match the other textures and is huge? I'll be glad to help with textures if you'd like

Anyway, I really love the mod and I'm so excited about a new/final version!

Ack! That's my bad. It seems the live dragging flags didn't carry over to the new version of the yoga mats. As for the Fatigued moodlet, your sim shouldn't get gain it after one hour. That was another error on my part. I forgot to readjust the xml values after testing I fixed both issues and reuploaded the files in my original post.

I really want to tie the Fatigued moodlet to the athletic skill like with other workout equipment, but I haven't been successful thus far. Still working on it though, as I would love to have it implemented in the final release of this mod.

For the yoga mat textures, I've sort of modeled my conversions off of what I've seen popular Sims 4 to Sims 3 conversion creators do, which includes making the Sims 4 swatches available to those who would like them. I also borrowed my specular from one of the creators, with her permission, as I'm not overly familiar with how speculars work and TSRW seemed to hate everything I tried. I did compress the file sizes this time, so they should be a bit smaller now.