Replies: 202 (Who?), Viewed: 7329 times.
Page 1 of 9
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jul 2021 at 5:36 PM
Default TS4 General Discussion Thread
We need a place to post general TS4 stuff as seen below. This is NOT a place to discuss politics and other spicy conversations that get these kinds of threads deleted. If you want to be spicy, do so by PM or somewhere else.

When a TS4 developer complains about tasks and how everything is fake. ROTFLMAO!

Do not harass Grant on his private account!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 11th Jul 2021 at 6:25 PM
Great idea!

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Jul 2021 at 9:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95
Great idea!

I might regret it later, but for now, it scratches that itch where I will see some stupid thing I want to talk about and couldn't because there was no thread for it.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Jul 2021 at 10:12 PM
Tweet not really related to TS4 as a starting thread, but I have a question. Do Grant still post stupid non-sense about the game? Seems like his out of job talking about The Sims related stuff. Though I see this thread I great opportunity to vent about game changers, lol.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jul 2021 at 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Tweet not really related to TS4 as a starting thread, but I have a question. Do Grant still post stupid non-sense about the game? Seems like his out of job talking about The Sims related stuff. Though I see this thread I great opportunity to vent about game changers, lol.

TS4 is filled with fake things ( ever look at the cardboard background of any given world?) and let's not forget all the hand-holding where people have the endless scroll of 'tasks' to do on the right side of the screen. Have party. Invite X amount of sims. Serve salad... Ugh. There should be a button that sez "Bugger off, Maxis! This is a sandbox game, not you tell me what to do kind of game."

If he does talk nonsense about TS4, he doesn't do it on his personal account. As far as I know, he hasn't been using his work account. Whatever. If he's going to complain about fake things in video games, then he should take a hard look at the one he was once lead producer of.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 11th Jul 2021 at 11:07 PM
I do get what Gargoyle meant honestly. Besides a lot of the obvious stuff like flat backgrounds and whatnot, TS4 requires a lot - and I mean a lot - of imagination and fill in the blanks just to play the game. Because there's hardly gameplay there in the first place to get inspiration from, you have to do it all yourself.

Yet here we have Grant complaining about games being "massive task factories". Uh, hello. TS4 in a nutshell. But that doesn't apply to him because he doesn't actually play The Sims. Go figure.

Inventor
#7 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 4:04 AM
FAKE like this, Grant?

Stupid tasks like these?

Imagine working in a game like The Sims 4 and having the AUDACITY to criticize other games...
Forum Resident
#8 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 6:45 AM
^ What makes it particularly funny is he's low-key insulting Ubisoft's formula, something that's usually a no-no in game development even for rival companies, yet Ubisoft makes millions every year from those "massive task factories" because people know what they're getting. Terrible practices, but they at least know what they're doing. EA? Not so much. And yet his role as a lead producer for so many years did nothing to sway TS4's development in a positive way. Oh, but how could I forget. We got StrangerVille out of that genius mind of his. Because that's what everybody wanted, right?

Test Subject
#9 Old 13th Jul 2021 at 3:51 AM
That's a weird thing to mention. I want to assume the best, that he's just saying that out of pure purposeful silliness/saltiness (because Sims does that too, so he'd be lowkey insulting his own work without getting in trouble from Big EA). But in actuality it probably is just him being too blind to realize that, um, duh, most games are like that. You don't have to have to be a totally logical (or nice) person for most jobs, after all. lol
Forum Resident
#10 Old 13th Jul 2021 at 5:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorbs_Lil_Puddin
That's a weird thing to mention. I want to assume the best, that he's just saying that out of pure purposeful silliness/saltiness (because Sims does that too, so he'd be lowkey insulting his own work without getting in trouble from Big EA). But in actuality it probably is just him being too blind to realize that, um, duh, most games are like that. You don't have to have to be a totally logical (or nice) person for most jobs, after all. lol

I wouldn't say most of them, not massive task factories at least. Games as a service types of games like the kinds EA, Ubisoft, Activision etc sell, sure. But there are still plenty of well crafted experiences out there, you just have to look a little harder nowadays to find them. The indie market is actually doing quite well in the niche categories that have been overshadowed by the most well known types of games like shooters or Battle Royale games.

Test Subject
#11 Old 13th Jul 2021 at 7:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95
I wouldn't say most of them, not massive task factories at least. Games as a service types of games like the kinds EA, Ubisoft, Activision etc sell, sure. But there are still plenty of well crafted experiences out there, you just have to look a little harder nowadays to find them. The indie market is actually doing quite well in the niche categories that have been overshadowed by the most well known types of games like shooters or Battle Royale games.

That's only half of what I'm talking about. The "It's all fake" part, even in context, is just silly to say.

Essentially anything linear is a task simulator, with story bits occuring between tasks. This is especially true for survival horror games. It's not about the tasks or checkpoints. It's about the journey between them. Y'know, the gameplay.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 13th Jul 2021 at 8:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorbs_Lil_Puddin
That's only half of what I'm talking about. The "It's all fake" part, even in context, is just silly to say.

Essentially anything linear is a task simulator, with story bits occuring between tasks. This is especially true for survival horror games. It's not about the tasks or checkpoints. It's about the journey between them. Y'know, the gameplay.

I'd argue it's more silly to say because he's airing personal gripes about something that isn't even tangible in the most basic sense, like it affects him personally. "Nothing is real" says Grant, yeah no shit Sherlock, that's why they call it a game. And it's not like you can't choose what to play in your spare time. Now, I'm not saying I don't get annoyed by certain things in certain games. But if a series or game doesn't interest me or I find it frustrating, I just don't play it. Not take to Twitter about how much I hate it.

But more to the point, games are like any other form of media, particularly story based ones. You get what you put into it. Some people like quick action, some people like dense narratives, some like slick gameplay concepts. Viewing every point of a game as a task just serves to make it feel like a chore. At that point, why not do something productive if you aren't even enjoying it? That's the entire point of entertainment, to give you enjoyment in some form.

If Grant truly hates 60% of the game market today for being massive task factories as he puts it, maybe he should just stick to board games.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 16th Jul 2021 at 2:34 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 16th Jul 2021 at 3:22 PM.
I've been spending my time on a YT channel called, Delish. It has absolutely nothing to do with sims; it's about food and cooking. I hate cooking during the summer, I needed some inspiration.

Yesterday I decided to venture out into Sim Land beyond MTS to see what was going on; it turned into a instant regret. People like to get all kinds of pissy when I pick on Yibs or game changers, but if they pulled half of the crap they do because they feel they can get away with it at a normal job, they'd be fired. What I came across yesterday was no exception.

Once again, yet another game changer feels it is okay to get his creep on. This time it is by posting pics of his crotch all over the internet. What is stopping me from calling them dick pics is according to what I read, he's still wearing underwear, for now. The reason he's doing this: "His account has NSFW + 18 on it" therefore it automatically gives him cover from any scrutiny according to him. The other problem, he re-posts the shit from that account onto his regular sims account.

As usual, this has turned into 'I can't see the trees through the forest' situation. This person is of course now singing the "Imma Victim" blues song. What's the point of bitching about how a account sez NSFW if that crap is going to be carried over to a non-pervy account? Right, there isn't one.

I'm going to go back to watching things about food and learning new recipes. I love my crockpot, Instant Pot and Air Fryer. What comes out of those is 1000 times better than what is lurking in the Sims Land playground.
Scholar
#14 Old 16th Jul 2021 at 6:56 PM
Gargoyle Cat: Personally, I do not get what posting pics of "the D" with or without clothes have to do with the game but maybe I'm just dumb...

I may get boatloads of trouble for writing this but why is it that the TS4 community have such hard fronts? No one seems to talk about this game is a nice manner, it's just an ever ongoing war between those who play the game and keep their moth shut, the ones that make the game and those who spread hate everywhere. In the word of some former Us president "you are either with us, or against us". Calm down people, try to act like adults... You do not have to be adults of cause but try acting like it. It's called "netiquette". If you don't know what it is feel free to google that! The only threads that are alive and breathing in the TS4 section of this forum seems to be the hate threads. I have been on here since 2009 and seriously don't have a clue how it could come to this... All I can say is that it is a shame! And nothing you will do or say will make me change that opinion! Nothing!
Forum Resident
#15 Old 16th Jul 2021 at 7:30 PM Last edited by parrot999 : 16th Jul 2021 at 8:57 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmo
Gargoyle Cat: Personally, I do not get what posting pics of "the D" with or without clothes have to do with the game but maybe I'm just dumb...

I may get boatloads of trouble for writing this but why is it that the TS4 community have such hard fronts? No one seems to talk about this game is a nice manner, it's just an ever ongoing war between those who play the game and keep their moth shut, the ones that make the game and those who spread hate everywhere. In the word of some former Us president "you are either with us, or against us". Calm down people, try to act like adults... You do not have to be adults of cause but try acting like it. It's called "netiquette". If you don't know what it is feel free to google that! The only threads that are alive and breathing in the TS4 section of this forum seems to be the hate threads. I have been on here since 2009 and seriously don't have a clue how it could come to this... All I can say is that it is a shame! And nothing you will do or say will make me change that opinion! Nothing!

If nothing anyone can say or do will change your opinion, then why are you even saying this here? Just to annoy people? Has it ever occurred to you that the reason the only places the Sims 4 is praised are places where criticality isn't tolerated, might be because it has burned the bridges of anyone with any standards at all! Also, criticality isn't spreading hate! A lot of us are upset sure, but it's because we care about this series!

On release I was disappointed with 4, but optimistic! I loved the style even if it's implementation left room for improvement. I loved that we could have multiple families per save again, and had control over whether or not the nonplayed aged. I loved the the compromise between the open world of 3 and the closed lots of 2 and 1, even if I would rather all lots in the neighborhoods be open without a loading screen rather than just the common areas... I loved that it ran well! Build Mode and CAS were really good! The game had issues, and was barebones, but nothing that couldn't be fixed and polished with time....

And for a while it was looking up! The first EP was pretty damned good! The second expansion, though not as good, at least showed creativity and passion! And the free updates really helped! Esp patch 34 with it's expanded gender options! But little by little, this game has turned practically everyone in the community against it! Pushed everyone to a breaking point! For some it was Cats and Dogs! For some it was My First Pet Stuff, for some it was Journey to Batuu, for some it was Bust the Dust! For me, it was Strangerville!

After Seasons and Get Famous, I thought "they've finally got their footing! I can't wait to to see what happens next!" And then, Strangerville... I was actually excited for that pack... I never ended up buying it... The laziness of it was too damned much! It finally destroyed my interest in buying new Sims content...

Ask anyone here criticizing the game! Willing to bet 9 out of 10 of them will have a similar story! This is the low point of the series, and this series has had some real stinkers! The Urbz and Sims 2 pets for consoles come to mind (and handheld with Pets. The handheld Urbz was awesome) But by far NOTHING has been so bereft of creativity, passion, and effort as The Sims 4 has the last 3 years! If you have an issue with people actually giving a crap about this series, and wanting it to get better, then go to the official forums! Live in your little bubble! No one is forcing you to come to these forums, esp if you are under the misunderstanding you are being personally attacked for enjoying this game.

Cuz guess what? If people actually had points to make against the critiques, they would! The Sims 3 was critiqued to hell and back! I should know, I was very critical of that game! But people still defended it! No one defends The Sims 4 around here because they can't! Because unlike with 3 where the problems were more a matter of taste with the directional shift of the series, 4 has become objectively bad! It is badly designed! It is lazy! Some of the packs, like Bust the Dust, are so badly balanced, they literally make the game unplayable! If that's acceptable to you, then by all means! But don't get upset that people are justifyably peeved! Esp if like me they invested over $200 into this game!
Forum Resident
#16 Old 16th Jul 2021 at 8:32 PM
Quote:

What threads are hate-filled exactly? Many of the threads are filled with comments of disgruntled fans of TS4 and those who keep up with it even if they don't play it for the sake of discussion. None of that is "hateful". If hateful is being used synonymously here with "negative" or "critical", well then - that's on whomever perceives it that way.

I don't, nor have I ever, had any issues with TS4 players. I don't call people stupid or whatever for liking this game. Why would I? It's a game, it's supposed to give enjoyment to those who can find some in it. And if you do, guess what. I'm really and truly happy for you and whoever else does. I'm completely serious.

But just because I don't take issues with anyone who plays the game doesn't mean I don't with those who make it. EA has done a lot of objectively lazy and mediocre decisions over the course of TS4's lifespan. And it affects people who buy it because they're not getting the value they paid for even if they happen to like it. It's objective because we have three separate instances of this series to draw from of what it looks like to get content that wasn't stripped to hell and back or saved for another pack. What I lament the most is that a lot of people who like TS4 know that EA is almost always selling them short, but they'll but the packs anyway in the hopes it'll somehow get better.

But if any of that still is viewed as being hateful, I don't know what other way to put it.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 16th Jul 2021 at 9:28 PM
EA keeping people around that engage in questionable behavior while selling TS4 packs to children have no reason to be selling a video game to children. This type of conversation has happened now a few times over the past going on 7 years and yet here we are. If we're going to go into the weeds of being a adult, maybe that conversation should start with the people that are doing these things.

This TS4 thing is starting to feel like the movie Ground Hog Day. The only thing that changes are names and sometimes the context.
Scholar
#18 Old 16th Jul 2021 at 9:42 PM
Now this was 2 good posts in a row... and I give them both a "love". If all comments would be like that I would have no problem what so ever with anything. My post was MY personal little rant so to speak. But I have seen threads that are not that was not that structured. But now they are deleted. One of them did I report... So I had my little "vent" but not to fight with anyone. You see, the last few months I have seen a decrease in all activity in this section except for the "rant" threads. Just try this, go into the picture section and check how many times you see my alias on the front page. I just did that and I got 13 (yeah lucky 13) hits. That tells me that no one plays the game anymore and even if this is a very bad example I draw my conclusion. No one will show what they are doing because no one think it's worth it. Better then throw in a few comments about how bad EA is (they are) how bad the game is (it sure is) but I think we all know that by now. My only reason to play TS4 is the fantastic (even if it have issues) Furry mod from Savestatecomic. A mod that the community in here have decided is the sickest thing they have ever seen. Yes, I know it's so. Because why is it so that my thread currently have 6094 views and no other then me have posted pics? Go figure... But I do not care about the attention of my thread, my pics, posts, etcPp. I care about the forum. It would be easy to join an other forum...but there is non.

Edit: Did not see your post Cat.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 16th Jul 2021 at 10:36 PM
Quote:
Now this was 2 good posts in a row... and I give them both a "love". If all comments would be like that I would have no problem what so ever with anything. My post was MY personal little rant so to speak. But I have seen threads that are not that was not that structured. But now they are deleted. One of them did I report... So I had my little "vent" but not to fight with anyone. You see, the last few months I have seen a decrease in all activity in this section except for the "rant" threads. Just try this, go into the picture section and check how many times you see my alias on the front page. I just did that and I got 13 (yeah lucky 13) hits. That tells me that no one plays the game anymore and even if this is a very bad example I draw my conclusion. No one will show what they are doing because no one think it's worth it. Better then throw in a few comments about how bad EA is (they are) how bad the game is (it sure is) but I think we all know that by now. My only reason to play TS4 is the fantastic (even if it have issues) Furry mod from Savestatecomic. A mod that the community in here have decided is the sickest thing they have ever seen. Yes, I know it's so. Because why is it so that my thread currently have 6094 views and no other then me have posted pics? Go figure... But I do not care about the attention of my thread, my pics, posts, etcPp. I care about the forum. It would be easy to join an other forum...but there is non.

Edit: Did not see your post Cat.

I admittedly can relate. The fact there is no one here is sad... EA absolutely earned this situation, but it's sad.

That said, that furry mod looks great! Not make the game worth reinstalling great, but it is well done.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 17th Jul 2021 at 12:15 PM
Quote:

I've read this a few times. I'm confused by it but I'm going with it anyway in no particular order.

There are plenty of people that play TS4. Twitter is crawling with people that spend their time building. Not my idea of a good time, but if it makes them happy, good for them.

How many times a thread has been read, the amount of buttons that have been pushed and so on have no bearing on a thread's content. We can all thank social media for this obsession with buttons, views, ect... Here's how things work and has been for a long time.

EA announces a pack, there is a bunch of hub-bub about it. The times between the announcement and pack release varies. Once the pack is released, usually within 48 hours there are complaints about how boring the pack is. Within 2 weeks, Yibs are done with their sales pitches and the bug complaints begin. This cycle occurs whether 'haters' say anything or not. People can blame it on lacking content and depth, tiny attention spans...whatever, this is how it goes. If it makes people happy the blame anybody that engages in critical thinking, so be it, but that doesn't fix the problem. The problem sits with Maxis. For as much complaining there is about complaining, I have yet to see people take the problem to the source.

I don't care how many furry mods you have in your game. As long as you're not bothering anybody, I don't give a flyin' fig.

It has been explained many times that just because a person doesn't like TS4 does not mean that there is a issue with the person that does. I've personally have grown tired of this conversation and consider it one of those vampire things where people will suck a person dry. When I'm faced with a person that this has been explained to and they continue with their false narrative and bullshit, I block them. They don't want to have a conversation, they want to argue. People choose to make this 'problem' about them; this their problem, not mine. If I have a beef with somebody, they know about it. Also, my life, thoughts and opinions don't revolve around people on the internet.

Nobody is slapping hands around here as means of keeping people from posting pictures or otherwise. There are plenty of threads around here that are void of hater opinions. Just for shits and giggles, I spent a few minutes on the OF yesterday just to see if that place was bursting at the seams with posts with interesting things. It's not, it's the same people that post over there all of the time for the most part. EA does not like people that think for themselves, so there must be another reason why their own forum isn't like a busy beehive.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 17th Jul 2021 at 6:08 PM
Quote:
That tells me that no one plays the game anymore and even if this is a very bad example I draw my conclusion
I'm unconvinced. I know plenty of people who play Sims 4, but they don't come here and post.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#22 Old 17th Jul 2021 at 6:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerDeTerre
I'm unconvinced. I know plenty of people who play Sims 4, but they don't come here and post.

I'm sure that's true. But I thought the reason for having picture thread was for members to post in them if they wanted. Like I said, I see my name all over the place so I won't share any more pics on here. Not in the TS4 section at least. Now I don't have all this fancy pancy social media like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, tumblr and Co. so I don't know what's going on there. I prefer to be member of forums. it's a very 90-style thing I know, but I'm quite old fashion.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#23 Old 17th Jul 2021 at 7:27 PM
Goals in TS4 would be more acceptable if they led to some benefit to the player. For example, in Farm Town if you score enough points you can spend them on tools to relieve you having to click so much to harvest your crops. If simoleans or reward points could be spent on better servants, or enhanced scheduling so your sim would do more jobs around the house and garden without your supervision and constant menu invokation, or students would do their term papers without being nagged, then there would be something to work towards.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#24 Old 18th Jul 2021 at 8:22 PM

DOH!
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#25 Old 18th Jul 2021 at 8:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat

DOH!

He wants to be completely immersed in the romance novel he's reading.

Page 1 of 9