Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jan 2022 at 6:04 PM
Default Renaming Mesh Groups?
How can I rename mesh groups within S3PE or extract it to rename it with milkshape? Usually I do stuff like that by importing into TSRW and then export the mesh to do so in milkshape but this is impossible as its giving me the error 'instance outside bounds of array' BECAUSE the groups need renamed. So, I need a little help finding out how to get it out or rename it in the first place. Please advise, someone!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 9th Jan 2022 at 12:17 PM
I assume this is related to your other post here where you indicate the issue is when you are trying to import a new mesh INTO TSRW. MurfeeLee posted how to correct your mesh's group name(s) using milkshape here. You change the group name of your new mesh, not the one in TSRW you are trying to replace, so no need to extract the one out of TSRW.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jan 2022 at 5:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by k2m1too
I assume this is related to your other post here where you indicate the issue is when you are trying to import a new mesh INTO TSRW. MurfeeLee posted how to correct your mesh's group name(s) using milkshape here. You change the group name of your new mesh, not the one in TSRW you are trying to replace, so no need to extract the one out of TSRW.

Yes, that is all true but also has she posted changing it in milkshape is the easiest way. However, as far as either of us now, theres no way of extracting the mesh to rename it in milkshape without using TSRW to do so, which is the problem itself. There is NO new mesh to do that to. Its only the old mesh, a CAS item, full outfit converted from TSM, which I can't get into TSRW to extract the mesh to rename in milkshape. Neither she nor I know how to rename the mesh groups OUTSIDE milkshape which is what is necessary to even do the modifications I WANT to do to the mesh. So, extracting from TSRW is impossible and I have no idea how to change the mesh group names without doing so, unless you or someone else knows how to get a mesh from a .package into milkshape without TSRW and if so, please do tell as thats exactly what I need.
Instructor
#4 Old 10th Jan 2022 at 10:35 AM Last edited by k2m1too : 10th Jan 2022 at 10:46 AM.
Okay - that is actually more helpful that you posted what it was you were actually trying to do - convert a TSM cas object to TS3. You do not take the TSM mesh into TSRW to extract back out to go into Milkshape. You take the TSM mesh into milkshape and rename the groups there. Maybe there is information in Danjaley's tutorial on doing TSM to TS3 conversion that is related.
They are here and here.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Jan 2022 at 2:24 PM Last edited by t888 : 10th Jan 2022 at 2:36 PM.
Okay - that is actually more helpful that you posted what it was you were actually trying to do - convert a TSM cas object to TS3. You do not take the TSM mesh into TSRW to extract back out to go into Milkshape. You take the TSM mesh into milkshape and rename the groups there. Maybe there is information in Danjaley's tutorial on doing TSM to TS3 conversion that is related.
They are here and here.

Actually, its in package format already because someone else converted it to TS3 already, but I wanted to edit THAT mesh as I've never done any actual conversions rather work with already usable meshes, though this is a first with this situation so its to the point I need to somehow rename the groups or extract it to milkshape from the package without TSRW :/

But I do believe you MAY have got the information I need! I saw a bit about a MilkShape GEOM plugin, now thats something I can export, some geom files and with the plugin I can get it into milkshape, so thats a start!
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Jan 2022 at 6:45 PM Last edited by t888 : 10th Jan 2022 at 8:46 PM.
OK, so I extracted the geom, renamed the mesh groups, reimported them in the package, attempted to import the package into TSRW and still got the index was outside the bounds of array error. Looking into it, by re-importing the fixed geom back into milkshape it still says geom-00. I even tried exporting the geom from a package file I know is fine and its named geom-00. So, no-go there. So, I'm stuck now.
Instructor
#7 Old 10th Jan 2022 at 8:58 PM
I've never imported GEOM into TSRW (in fact wasn't aware that was a thing). If you follow the steps in the tute I listed above, they have you export to TSO (TSRW's format) from milkshape and import that into TSRW. Perhaps that is the issue?

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Instructor
#8 Old 10th Jan 2022 at 8:59 PM
The tutes I sent you may not be 100% relevant to what you are doing, but there is still a lot of info in there that is relevant/useful. It's like step #4 in the second tute.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Jan 2022 at 5:10 PM
The tutes I sent you may not be 100% relevant to what you are doing, but there is still a lot of info in there that is relevant/useful. It's like step #4 in the second tute.

I did figure out I could actually still use it now to extract the mesh to WSO and then import it in as a new project over another full body outfit. However that immediately go tme a new problem, I lost all morphs but the regular one. I seem to recall a tool that helps you create those morphs but cant think of it for the life of me, also compounded by the fact I have a hospitalized seriously ill mother that I'm worried to death over and my thoughts won't stay in the lane they should. So, thats brings me to, perhaps the right road if I could just drive straight down it. If anybody can help my clouded brain remember, please, by all means do.
Instructor
#10 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 9:48 AM
The tool is Meshtoolkit, available here on MTS. The tutorial I mentioned above actually discusses doing the morphs and all of that.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 8:37 PM
The tool is Meshtoolkit, available here on MTS. The tutorial I mentioned above actually discusses doing the morphs and all of that.

Yeah, thats it. Sorry, my nerves have got me all over the place, but thank you! I appreciate it better than I can say right now.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 6:42 PM
I'm not here much, but also want to say that it is possible to rename a mesh in Blender 2.80, for those who don't use Milkshape. Also when using newer versions of TSRW, some things don't work correctly, and keeping an older version, such as 2_0_86 around is a good idea. I have had things not import to a few newer versions, but was able to fall back to the older.
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
I'm not here much, but also want to say that it is possible to rename a mesh in Blender 2.80, for those who don't use Milkshape. Also when using newer versions of TSRW, some things don't work correctly, and keeping an older version, such as 2_0_86 around is a good idea. I have had things not import to a few newer versions, but was able to fall back to the older.

Really? I have the newer version, maybe thats part of my problem! Any ideas where I can find that older version?