Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jan 2022 at 11:30 PM
Default Changing messages of existing mod so that they go away
How would I go about changing the messages that a mod produces, to make them go away on their own after a while instead of needing to manually click them away every time? I have some mods that do that and I don't understand why creators choose to do that :/

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 17th Jan 2022 at 11:47 AM
Are you talking about the Text Notifications in the top right corner of the screen? Open the mod in SimPE, find the relevant Dialog primitive, and change the timeout value, third operand on the second row. It seems that Text Notifican Append also changes the timeout of the dialog it modifies, even though the SimPE wizard doesn't show it.

Maybe the messages are important to see in case you walk away. I hate how choice dialogs time out implicitly, forcing me to skim over the text quickly. When I need a Yes/No dialog, I make Yes/No/Wait, and loop back to itself.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Jan 2022 at 3:45 PM
Yes that's what I meant, thank you! :lovestruc

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Inventor
#4 Old 17th Jan 2022 at 7:21 PM
Modifying a Text Notification looks like this. The timeout might be zero, then the notification doesn't disappear.

Theorist
#5 Old 18th Jan 2022 at 11:33 AM
I always did this for No Sim Loaded. I simply edited the previous nodes to be "jumping over" the dialog box node. Suppose you have:
0x1 Node1 - T:0x3 / F:0x2
0x2 Node2 - T:T / F:0x3
0x3 Dialog box - T:0x4 / F:F
0x4 Node3 - T:T / F:F

After editing, it would look like this:
0x1 Node1 - T:0x4 / F:0x2
0x2 Node2 - T:T / F:0x4
(ignored) 0x3 Dialog box - T:0x4 / F:F
0x4 Node3 - T:T / F:F

I didn't know about the timeout trick.
Inventor
#6 Old 19th Jan 2022 at 12:42 PM
If I am following you correctly, that would not show the dialog at all, rather than make it disappear sooner. Text notifications can also be stopped with the Stop Text Notification dialog type, but then I must make sure that the chosen Temp is not overwitten for another purpose.

The timeout of modal dialog boxes seems to be proportional to the amount of text contained, and it's not obvious for how long they will stay up. Not nice with critical choices like "do you want to delete these objects" (not that many words).
Theorist
#7 Old 19th Jan 2022 at 10:17 PM
Yeah, my bad. Turns out, as OP wrote "to make them go away on their own after a while instead of needing to manually click them away every time", I literally stopped at "to make them go away", read the rest of the thread, saw the timeout = 0 and then wrote my thing. No more skimming threads while commuting – noted!