Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jan 2022 at 10:15 PM
Default Item Unclickable In-Game
Occasionally, I'll make an item that, for whatever reason, can't be clicked on in-game. My usual work-around is to clone from something I know works (i.e. one of my cloned items) but in this case, I've never done a treadmill before and thus have no way to do that particular workaround. I made sure the meshes were linked to the correct joint, and even went overboard on some of it to try to fix the issue, but I'm not sure what's causing it and thus have no way to test it.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  treadmill_MESH_uni.zip (611.1 KB, 9 downloads)

Requests? Yes! See my journal entry for palette options! Shameless plugging of my Sim sites: (TS2) · TS4
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 9th Jan 2022 at 1:42 PM Last edited by Ladysimplayer8 : 9th Jan 2022 at 2:25 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Deastrumquodvicis
Occasionally, I'll make an item that, for whatever reason, can't be clicked on in-game. My usual work-around is to clone from something I know works (i.e. one of my cloned items) but in this case, I've never done a treadmill before and thus have no way to do that particular workaround. I made sure the meshes were linked to the correct joint, and even went overboard on some of it to try to fix the issue, but I'm not sure what's causing it and thus have no way to test it.

Hello @Deastrumquodvicis
When does the object become unclickable?
Is the problem not being able to place the treadmill on a lot? Or it can be be placed on a lot, but a Sim has no options to work out far less any other option?

In the meantime, I will download it and test it in my game.
Update: Checked the object in game and can be placed but no transactions and I found that I could not delete the object in-game so ended up exiting the game without saving.

In SimPE:
There are four object data and it looks like 0.0, 0.1 and 0.2 have been updated to include all the object price details etc.
Only the main object data should contain this info, followed by ticking to update all MMATs, allocating a new GUID, clicking to commit, fixing itegrity and saving.
The other three object data are only allocated a GUID, click to commit and save.

You will probably need to redo the whole object again, but at least you have the GMDC ready to import as well as your textures.
I hope this helps?
Good luck with your treadmill.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th Jan 2022 at 4:22 PM
Can't find any obvious issues in the item, and it looks to be set up properly (GUIDs/OBJDs, mesh, and all).

Did you by any chance put it in your game before changing all the GUIDs/OBJDs, find it didn't work, then fix that and try again - or do "fix integrity" or any sort of big change like that in between testing? If so, you could try deleting the cache files, and also make sure you don't have extra copies of old versions of the file in your Downloads folder. Those can sometimes cause a bit of trouble.

Occasionally, something does go wrong in the file somewhere, and it can help remaking the file. I don't get any errors anywhere, though (usually if anything has gone wrong, the file errors out in the GMDC, SHPE, or wherever the issue is).

Make sure you haven't used the GUIDs anywhere before. Reused GUIDs could clash.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#4 Old 9th Jan 2022 at 5:08 PM
Can you use the design tool on it? Can use use the sledgehammer tool to delete it? Can you pick it up again once it's placed? If not,it's probably the bounding box.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#5 Old 9th Jan 2022 at 7:17 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 9th Jan 2022 at 8:38 PM.
Without testing in game, it sounds like the bounding box as mentioned. Try exporting the mesh, then reimporting. SimPE tends to add whatever subset was last imported to the bounding box. So if you only imported shadows, then that would be the bounding box.

Quote: Originally posted by Ladysimplayer8
Hello @Deastrumquodvicis
In SimPE:
There are four object data and it looks like 0.0, 0.1 and 0.2 have been updated to include all the object price details etc.
Only the main object data should contain this info, followed by ticking to update all MMATs, allocating a new GUID, clicking to commit, fixing itegrity and saving.
The other three object data are only allocated a GUID, click to commit and save.

This is not true. Some objects have the price/catalog in all of the objd's and some don't.

ETA: I noticed you have changed the quarter tile value in the objd, did you edit some other random fields there to prevent placing? The other thought I had was if you use Blender, does it do something on export with the bounding box?
Inventor
#6 Old 10th Jan 2022 at 6:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
This is not true. Some objects have the price/catalog in all of the objd's and some don't.

Hello @HugeLunatic
That was why I had a look in SimPE at the Uni Treadmill to check and found that only the main object data should have the info; therefore guessing the creator not only changed the values in object data but probably updated all of the object data in the same way as the main object data. Hopefully solving the problem is as simple as my suggestion; if not then your and simmer22's advice will be appreciated.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#7 Old 10th Jan 2022 at 10:53 AM
@Ladysimplayer8
I'm not sure if it makes a difference if an object is purely decorative or not - but I've changed all the OBJD to match the lead tile (for no reason other than to do it) and it's never changed any of the object's behavior.

Besides the bounding box, the only thing I can think of here is whether OP imported the mesh properly. Meshes with joints aren't actually imported by clicking import. You have to right click and click on replace. (Actually, you need to copy the filename first THEN replace the mesh.. then paste that filename back and click yes when SimPE asks you if it should reload it.)

I've been rather sick for the last week and have just in the last couple days been feeling well enough to think, let alone open packages and mess around with them so I haven't even tried to tinker with OPs mesh.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 10th Jan 2022 at 2:40 PM
I checked the mesh in MIilkshape and it seems to have all the joints, comments and bone/joint assignments it's supposed to have.

The shadows don't have bone assignments, but I can't remember if they're supposed to have, and it can depend on how you've exported/imported the mesh (you can get certain errors if not everything has bone assignments when exporting out from Milkshape - depends a bit on the mesh/comments/etc.)

If you import the shadows in after the mesh, and those are not added to the bounding box (the selectable/clickable parts of the mesh), then whatever was imported first tends to be removed from the bounding box - but if it's a shadow it might not be added properly because of the shadow properties that remove these mesh parts from the bounding box, so you're left with a mesh that isn't clickable.

Easiest way to solve this is usually to export and then re-import the entire mesh with shadows and all into SimPE (via the GMDC right-click and replace function). Should add back the main mesh to the bounding box, and keep the shadows away from it.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#9 Old 10th Jan 2022 at 2:50 PM
Some shadows have to be assigned to a joint and some don't. I THINK it's based on whether or not a shadow is supposed to move with a mesh part in game - like the shadows for barstools and chairs too, I think (and even with those it's not all of them). I'd have to poke around in SimPE and I just don't feel like it right now.
Inventor
#10 Old 11th Jan 2022 at 7:16 AM Last edited by Ladysimplayer8 : 11th Jan 2022 at 7:38 AM.
I decided just to update this object myself - simply updating object data and importing the GMDC and texture. I did remove the shadows in GMDC but no behaviours were changed.
Result - it works!

I have attached the zip.file.
Edited to update pics.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  treadmill_MESH_uni.v2.package.zip (264.7 KB, 4 downloads)
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#11 Old 11th Jan 2022 at 2:47 PM
You may disagree - and you're more than welcome to, of course - but since you imported the mesh and now it works, it was most likely the bounding box the whole time. I just can't see it being the OBJD that was causing the problem. But I guess it is possible... and this is the main reason I try fixes one thing at a time. That way I know what worked.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 11th Jan 2022 at 4:39 PM
^ I think it sounds like a bounding box issue, too. The OBJDs looked fine, and I'm guessing the only changes done to them were new GUIDs, and those were fine, so if reimporting the GMDC worked, that's most likely the answer. Fixing one thing at a time is absolutely the key to problemsolving, or you don't know what you've fixed.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#13 Old 11th Jan 2022 at 11:17 PM
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#14 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 1:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
The issue was not the objd. If you have imported the mesh it was the bounding box. And why would you remove the shadow? It's part of object creating.
They don't do shadows, that's why. I don't think I've seen a single one of their downloads with shadows. But since this treadmill isn't their object, that doesn't really matter.

What I don't understand is why someone would seemingly ignore good advice (from someone experienced enough to be in the know), then turn around and do exactly what they said to do and act like they're the hero for fixing it.

Eh. OP will now know what was wrong and how to fix it themselves and can have their shadows and a working object too.
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 5:33 AM
So in future, change GUID before importing the mesh? I'm kind of surprised that matters, actually.

I tried the "add to bounding mesh" in Groups under GMDC and it resulted in an insta-crash, so I'm not really sure how to fix in future if not that. Thanks for the help, though!

Requests? Yes! See my journal entry for palette options! Shameless plugging of my Sim sites: (TS2) · TS4
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#16 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 6:15 AM
So in future, change GUID before importing the mesh? I'm kind of surprised that matters, actually.

I tried the "add to bounding mesh" in Groups under GMDC and it resulted in an insta-crash, so I'm not really sure how to fix in future if not that. Thanks for the help, though!

No need to change the GUIDs before importing the mesh.

To fix the bounding box: in the GMDC, you need to go to the Model tab and click "clear". Then go to the Groups tab, click on the subset you want to add to the bounding box then click "add to bounding mesh". Repeat for any other subsets that need added, commit and save.
Inventor
#17 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 6:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz

What I don't understand is why someone would seemingly ignore good advice (from someone experienced enough to be in the know), then turn around and do exactly what they said to do and act like they're the hero for fixing it.

Eh. OP will now know what was wrong and how to fix it themselves and can have their shadows and a working object too.

Hello @mustluvcatz
Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't you the one with the fuzzy brain when you tried what I suggested?
That was the reason darling, I went the step further to see if what I suggested would work and voila - it did.
No hero complex on my part - time and time again, I have sought advice from this forum and very much appreciated it. At the end of day, all that happened was the creator made a simple error with the object data - everything else that was done was spot on.
Experience is extremely useful; but then so is wisdom to accept suggestions from other persons too and not be dismissive of them.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#18 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 9:30 AM
I have changed the OBJD in the past with items that I have made and doing so has never resulted in a mesh being unclickable in game.

From your post: "simply updating object data and importing the GMDC and texture". So. How do you know what fixed it since you did more than one thing there. Importing the GMDC again would fix the bounding box and that's what I said from the beginning was wrong with OPs mesh. IF updating the OBJD IS what fixed it - and NOT reimporting the GMDC - then please prove it.

Fuzzy brain. Actually I have Covid and it hasn't affected my intelligence as far as I know. And please don't call me darling.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#19 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 12:16 PM

When you get new GUIDs is almost irrelevant. I say almost because if you add recolors into your main package and create more MMATs, you would need to update those.

The add to bounding mesh will crash the game if used on animated/jointed objects. You need to re-import the mesh to fix the bounding box issues. And as mlc pointed out, sometimes shadows are part of the joint.

From your post: "simply updating object data and importing the GMDC and texture". So. How do you know what fixed it since you did more than one thing there. Importing the GMDC again would fix the bounding box and that's what I said from the beginning was wrong with OPs mesh. IF updating the OBJD IS what fixed it - and NOT reimporting the GMDC - then please prove it.

It's possible that the OP changed something else, besides the values for price and the setquartertile placement line I mentioned above. If so, then this would affect placement. But it certainly wasn't because of the pricing.
Inventor
#20 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 1:48 PM
I have changed the OBJD in the past with items that I have made and doing so has never resulted in a mesh being unclickable in game.

Fuzzy brain. Actually I have Covid and it hasn't affected my intelligence as far as I know. And please don't call me darling.

Hello @mustluvcatz
To re-iterate:-
I opened the SimPE and exported the creator's mesh and texture and printed the description.
I then cloned the treadmill per norm, updated description and price, used the same GUIDS, imported the creators mesh and texture. Nothing else was changed i.e. behaviours or the bounding box. Just the way I would recreate any other object myself.
My conclusion is the other objects data were updated like the main object data. Maybe I should try doing this to prove that was the problem?
You previously stated that you have updated the Object Data and it didn't change anything; perhaps the difference is I recloned the treadmill from scratch.

On a personal note, hope you are on the mend from Covid.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#21 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 2:26 PM
Ah. I was under the impression that you edited OPs package. Since you started fresh, the bounding box wasn't broken in any way. So it's still very possible that the bounding box is the problem with their package.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 2:43 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 12th Jan 2022 at 9:53 PM.
The bounding box issue is the most likely one.

I've used the bounding box (via importing) several times to exclude items from being selectable ingame, for instance when making a pidestal item with 5 sides fully enclosed in glass, where you want to be able to pick up an item from within the glass. You want to exclude the glass from the bounding box, and one of the ways to do this is to import the mesh parts in a spesific order (if you're not using the bounding box options directly, of course - the remove from/add to bounding box option can sometimes cause crashes if you don't do it the right way), where the items you want the bounding box to ignore are imported first (plus shadows), and everything that's meant to be selectable last (shadows can usually be imported here, too). It's a little more complicated for meshes with joints, though.

Now, the thing is that the last imported items are the ones added to the bounding box, while the rest is ignored. Shadows are usually automatically excluded, so if those are imported in after the rest of the mesh, everything gets ignored by the bounding box, and the mesh ends up unselectable. If you're not aware of this, it can easily happen by accident.

If the shadows cause any issues or errors when you export the mesh as a whole, you can try to add them to joint #2. Export/reimporting (just via SimPE) as a full GMDC is usually fine, though.
Instructor
Original Poster
#23 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 8:44 PM Last edited by Deastrumquodvicis : 13th Jan 2022 at 12:16 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Now, the thing is that the last imported items are the ones added to the bounding box, while the rest is ignored. Shadows are usually automatically excluded, so if those are imported in after the rest of the mesh, everything gets ignored by the bounding box, and the mesh ends up unselectable. If you're not aware of this, it can easily happen by accident.

Aaaah, that last bit I didn't know! So, to make sure I understand--the last part that gets imported is automatically the bounding box?

To fix the bounding box: in the GMDC, you need to go to the Model tab and click "clear". Then go to the Groups tab, click on the subset you want to add to the bounding box then click "add to bounding mesh". Repeat for any other subsets that need added, commit and save.

Okay! That first bit I was unaware of, and the second part had caused it to crash.

EDIT: I tried that with a different mesh that spontaneously lost its clickability and it still results in a crash.

Mad Poster
#24 Old 13th Jan 2022 at 2:58 PM
EDIT: I tried that with a different mesh that spontaneously lost its clickability and it still results in a crash.

The bounding box fixing in the Model tab can be a bit iffy. I've had it work sometimes, while it causes crashes other times.

Reimporting the GMDC usually works, though.
Instructor
Original Poster
#25 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 6:01 AM Last edited by Deastrumquodvicis : 14th Jan 2022 at 10:36 AM.
I tried that on my second problematic item, didn't work. Do I need to reorder mesh parts in Milkshape before importing them? Milkshape seems to be the common thread in all the ones that have this error. And I only do that when animations don't connect properly by individually importing pieces.

EDIT: I've attached the other file. Sure enough, it doesn't have anything in the bounding box info, but when I click the "add to bounding mesh", the result crashes on a mouseover, just like the treadmill. Reimporting the GMDC didn't help on either.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  whirlpoolbath_MESH.zip (3.13 MB, 6 downloads)

Page 1 of 2